Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Abandoned Places/Ruins/Ghost Towns Pics thread

#98QBKiller

Awesome pics. I think it's neat to see abandoned hospitals, schools and amusement parks.

If you use Google maps and look up that Enchanted Land in Ellicott City, you can see some of the statues they had there.

PS, I miss going up to "Hell House".... and recently, Glenn Dale hospital went up for sale.

If you use Google maps and look up that Enchanted Land in Ellicott City, you can see some of the statues they had there.

I think you mean the Enchanted Forest? My mom talked about how much she loved that place, so everyone decided to pile into the car one day and drive out to it only to discover it was closed - it was our Wally World moment :(

Awesome pics. I think it's neat to see abandoned hospitals, schools and amusement parks.

PS, I miss going up to "Hell House".... and recently, Glenn Dale hospital went up for sale.

I looked it up on google earth I didn't see much, except the entrance. I remember going there as a kid and having a blast. They moved most of the statues to a farm in centennial, off of 108 MD; Here is the LON and LAT for Google Earth.

"Enchanted Forest- Old Statues " lat=39.2370638889, lon=-76.8754916667

BTW if you go into these building WEAR A MASK. There could be all sorts of toxic stuff in the air like asbestos.

Amazing how places that were inhabited as recently as the 1980's are totally abandoned.

What's really amazing to me is how fast these structures can degrade without people looking after them. If the Romans and Egyptians had built like we do instead of with stone, we would probably be debating their very existence.

This is a great thread. Back when I was in the snowboarding club at VT we would stay in a house in Cass, WV...there are some old abandoned houses there as well as an old train we used to go exploring all the time.

There's also an abandoned insane asylum in Rockville - we'd go exploring in there a lot- that place was realllly creepy. I'll have to check my old computer and see if I've got any pictures from either place.

• 1 year later...

Alot of these places have been investigated by the Ghosthunters and GHI crews. Eastern State, Chernobyl and the Japanese Island. I can't stand the Ghostadventures with Zac Bagans. They go into every investigation with the idea that it is haunted and clown around too much. I think they actually artificially make things to get people to watch. I prefer GH and GHI. Much more professional IMO.

I can't check out the entire link right now, but I'm curious if they have the Elko Tract outside of Richmond included.

Aparently during WWII, the government built a 'fake' sister city right outside of Richmond, complete with sewers, roads, buildings, even a water tower. Allegedly Richmond would have been a target for the Nazis, so in the event of an attack, the sister city would act as a decoy to German and Japanese night raids.

4452408446_b39f8628fa.jpg

A theme park was built in 1993 just outside Disney World called Splendid China. The had a replica of The Great Wall as well as the Imperial Palace. People thought it would be a huge hit since it was near Disney.

I found a blog written by someone who decided to go explore there one day and take pictures. I'm surprised that there was a security guard there. Who pays his salary?

http://jimhillmedia.com/alumni1/b/eric_m_davis/archive/2008/09/23/remembering-splendid-china-florida.aspx

This one always gets me, granted it isn't exactly abandoned, but just look at the woman in the middle of that massive intersection directing all the traffic....what greater indictment could there be?

nk.jpg

Seriously, what must she be thinking?

nk2.jpg

Wonder if he looked both ways...

nk3.jpg

Here is another photo essay of North Korea.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/08/inside-north-korea/100119/

• 1 year later...

Archived