Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Van Gundy gets the most out of his role players. He'll have a star to build around in Wall. Plus he knows our division well.

He's a much better fit than D'Antoni. I don't want Mike D. coaching this team. We'll basically go through Eddie Jordan 2.0 again.

To be fair though I don't think anyone thought Vesely was going to be better than Leonard immediately. He was understood to be a project from day one. After all he was and continues to be a wing player that can't shoot. I wasn't a fan of the pick but I'll give it a few years before I declare it a bust.

Yeah, but it's still frustrating as hell to see someone that I personally wanted us to take flourish. It's gonna get even harder when San Antonio goes deep into the finals and Kawhi becomes this rising star in the National spotlight. Kawhi and Jan were similar players coming into the draft. High energy, defense, questionable J. Ernie just has this thing for Euros and Highlight reel players (Pech, Javale, Jan) and it's frustrating to me personally, it's becoming apparent that Ernie favors toolsy players over well rounded Basketball players

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 04:09 PM ----------

Is Calipari even a great coach?

He seems more like a great recruiter than a great coach.

There is no better college (not sure about pro) coach at communicating with the modern basketball player. He's a great recruiter because great talents love being around and being coached by him. That's what my bro who plays for an SEC team says

I feel like with D'Antoni, the max success we'd have is the 2nd round of the Playoffs. Nobody wants to be the Atlanta Hawks, I don't care how terrible we've been.

Yeah, my hockey team is already like that, I don't think I can handle my basketball team being like that too...

His experience in Miami shows what? His production is down since joining the Heat. He'd benefit from joining a pick and roll offense. Also the fct that he has range plays well with a point guard that doesn't, like KG and Rondo.

This trade never happens because Seraphin, Booker, and a 2-5 pick isn't worth nearly what Bosh is to an NBA team. A star big in th NBA is not something that goes cheap.

Wall Mack

Martin Crawford

C Singleton Vesely

Bosh J Singleton

Nene ???

That team could compete for a playoff spot. Seraphin and Booker are nice role players, though both are undersized, but they aren't game changers.

His production is down, but as long as he isn't the number one option the team, he has great success. While Bosh does give the heat the balance they need to be elite, Bosh by himself is no Elite player, he can fill up the stat sheet but we'd be stuck as a team on the cusp of hopeful 2nd round exits (although before the heat I don't think he ever won a playoff series, I could be wrong). While his pick and pop game does help Wall quite a bit we've seen signs that Nene can already fill that role. Seraphin is no role player, he made massive strides in the low post, something I still don't see Bosh ever developing and adds tough defense down low. What Seraphin and Booker lack in shear size is compensated with their strength as well. Take into account both Seraphin and Booker are on cheap contracts compared to Bosh's near Max money, it seems like a foolish trade, one that wreaks of trying to make our franchise relevant rather than building a contender.

This all being, I'd make the trade if it involved Nene just because it is a safer move but Big men aren't an area we need to worry about. It is the one bright spot we actually have.

Draft MKG, Trade Booker for a wing player plus a pick if possible...Sign Danny Green and throw some money at Ersan Iliyosova as a stretch 4 for us next year and role with:

Wall/mack

Green/JC/Almond

MKG/C. Singleton

Ersan/Vesly/J. Singleton

Nene/Seraphin

and use the our first 2nd round pick to try to trade down into the late first for pure shooter.

we'd be stuck as a team on the cusp of hopeful 2nd round exits (although before the heat I don't think he ever won a playoff series, I could be wrong).

The second worst team in the league is in no position to be complaining about how well they might do in the post season. I'll take a few years of 6-8th seed and bounced in the first round. Being CONSISTENTLY good puts you in position to be great. Only Lebron James or Dwight Howard is going to take a bottom dweller and make them contenders and as we've seen they haven't been enough to bring home a championship. The thought would be that Wall or someone could improve enough to develop into the second star, and then contending is possible. Right now this team has ZERO STARS. Neither the 1 or the 2 of a 1-2 punch.

Seraphin is no role player, he made massive strides in the low post, something I still don't see Bosh ever developing and adds tough defense down low. What Seraphin and Booker lack in shear size is compensated with their strength as well. Take into account both Seraphin and Booker are on cheap contracts compared to Bosh's near Max money, it seems like a foolish trade, one that wreaks of trying to make our franchise relevant rather than building a contender.

Seraphin is a role player.

Wall/mack

Green/JC/Almond

MKG/C. Singleton

Ersan/Vesly/J. Singleton

Nene/Seraphin

I could see that team missing the playoffs.

[/color]

Can we all agree that D'Antoni is a no go?

I hope so. A coach that could care less about hustle and defense on a team already lacking anything resembling accountability would be a disaster.

Edited by Destino

The second worst team in the league is in no position to be complaining about how well they might do in the post season. I'll take a few years of 6-8th seed and bounced in the first round. Being CONSISTENTLY good puts you in position to be great. Only Lebron James or Dwight Howard is going to take a bottom dweller and make them contenders and as we've seen they haven't been enough to bring home a championship. The thought would be that Wall or someone could improve enough to develop into the second star, and then contending is possible. Right now this team has ZERO STARS. Neither the 1 or the 2 of a 1-2 punch.

Seraphin is a role player.

I could see that team missing the playoffs.

The 2nd worse team in the league also showed after the all-start break they are building on something towards the right direction. Out side of a glorified pick and pop game Bosh would not add anything Nene already doesn't assuming Nene stays healthy. You are essentially saying trade every good player we have accrued, who all can still improve, for a player that will not get you out of the 1st round. I don't mind having difficult seasons as long as we're building a squad that can amount to more than perpetual mediocrity. If that is what you think we need we'll just have to agree to disagree. Even if Miami was willing to move Bosh their asking price would not be worth it. Instead of focusing on acquiring players that are redundant with a healthy Nene how about focusing on wing players?

Role players are limited in their skill set. Seraphin has his shortcomings being that he is only a 2nd year player, but he is a two way big man that can competently start. If you're going to simply say he is a role player, at least define for me why you say so.

A team that probably trades away their assets for Bosh would look like:

Wall/Mack

FA/2nd round pick

C. Singleton/Martin

Bosh/Jan/J. Singleton

Nene/Blatche

You seriously think that squad will be relevant? To each their own. Our best case scenario would be the Atlanta Hawks. I'd rather build like the Pacers, Memphis and if it all turns our right, maybe OKC-like.

I feel like with D'Antoni, the max success we'd have is the 2nd round of the Playoffs. Nobody wants to be the Atlanta Hawks, I don't care how terrible we've been.

We already have an Atlanta Hawks team for a hockey team. Don't need....oh...someone beat me to it.

If they wanted D'Antoni they would have already acted on it. I also think if Whittman was the man it would have been annouced already.

SVG is to good to be true for this group as far as structure offensively and defensively. I think if its not SVG then its gotta be a asst coach on a playoff team like the Spurs.

Even if we got #2 pick i'd trade back for the right package especially both of Portlands lottery picks or 1 of them plus a sign and trade for Batum. There just is'nt a huge difference in talent after Davis.

Just skimming thru the thread I got a sig bet with anybody that Beal does'nt go top 3.

There is no way Ernie "players GM" Grunfeld and SVG could coexist. SVG would ban him from practice and call him a lazy fool during a press conference during training camp.

To which the fans like me would applaud. The question is, what would Ernie do to get him fired should he start these antics.