Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That is part of the reason why I posted earlier that I'm skeptical of him.

I'm completely against bringing in retreads. Give someone like Dave Joerger a shot. Just like how Tom T. got his shot with the Bulls.

But I totally expect Ernie to make the lazy move of hiring a known name.

Yeah I'm sick of retreads too. The only retread I'd want is Stan Van Gundy because he's been damn good but has gotten raw deals in both Miami and Orlando. Even though he's a retread he'd still be fiery and hungry to win.

A few things...

On 980 a couple of days ago, Laron Profit (REALLY like him on air) was talking about who Wall should model his career/training/progress after. His suggestion? Gary Payton. Really like that. When Payton came into the league as the #2 overall pick, he couldn't shoot, at all, either. Defenders played him the same way they do wall: off five feet, denying his driving lanes and daring him to shoot. GP kept working on his shot until he became a very respectable shooter, and in the meantime he perfected other areas of his game. The one area we all know him for? Defense. Profit said to given Wall's size and athleticism as A PG, there is no reason he can't become a lockdown defender.

Totally agree with everything Profit had to say. Hit him up on twitter. He's never not answered me when I've contacted him about basketball--Wizards or otherwise. Very smart, outgoing and knowledgeable guy

http://twitter.com/profit4eva

Any hot shot assistants out there? I'd love Brian Shaw

This. I've talked about Shaw before on here. He sat with and learned from the best for more than half a decade on how to be a coach: Phil Jackson. He was supposed to be Jacksons heir apparent in LA but for whatever reason they went with Brown instead. I think they'll end up regretting that. It would be awesome if his performance here spawns that regret.

And lastly, a really great Javale McGee video homage from truthaboutit.net

Lol.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I dont see Brian Shaw as a Yes-man. This is why i am sure he will not be here. We will either keep the status quo' date=' or pick up someone who is willing to let EG overrule him. But i do think he would be a good choice.[/quote']

Maybe that's why Brown was hired over Shaw. To bow down to Kupchak and to give Jim Buss a yes man now that he's taking over.

Maybe that's why Brown was hired over Shaw. To bow down to Kupchak and to give Jim Buss a yes man now that he's taking over.

This is possible. But i cant judge Brown rationally. I want to think that he is good at coaching defense, or good with x's and o's. I hear people say that alot. But every time i try to form an opinion, I get flashbacks of him complaining that Lebron was fouled, crab-dribbling, and us losing while being publicly embarrassed by ESPN because stevenson called their wonder boy out for once. ( though Lebron is and has been the best in the league for some time now). I figured Brown was a yes man then with Lebron and all. But i hated Lebron then, so i cant trust my own opinion.

On 980 a couple of days ago, Laron Profit (REALLY like him on air) was talking about who Wall should model his career/training/progress after. His suggestion? Gary Payton. Really like that. When Payton came into the league as the #2 overall pick, he couldn't shoot, at all, either. Defenders played him the same way they do wall: off five feet, denying his driving lanes and daring him to shoot. GP kept working on his shot until he became a very respectable shooter, and in the meantime he perfected other areas of his game. The one area we all know him for? Defense. Profit said to given Wall's size and athleticism as A PG, there is no reason he can't become a lockdown defender.

John has the potential to be a very different kind of defender from Payton. John's size and athleticism are such that he could become one of the premier perimeter defenders in the game covering 1s, 2s, and the normal sized 3s of the league once he gets stronger. So much of John's game is above the rim. That's something that Payton couldn't do. John is kind of the LeBron of PGs in terms of raw physical skills and tools.

For example, John has the potential to be an absolutely brilliant transition defender like LeBron is. He's already shown a ton of flashes in this area. This is pure instinct and ability. No preparation and not much of the chess match, just improvising and John has been pretty great throughout the year.

I've been thinking about it a lot. The guys I think John should model his game after are CP3 and Dwyane Wade with a healthy amount of stealing from Rose. Parker certainly makes sense too, he could teach a PhD course in ball movement.

John should look to Wade as defensive inspiration and try and mimic his scoring ability. All the good slashers who predicate their game on quickness seem to steal from Wade. He's the best in the business in that regard, and he's so savvy with the ball in his variety of moves and finishes. He's always two steps ahead of the defense in transition, I think he's one of the better passers and ball handlers running the break in the league. Wade's also a terrific defender in just about all aspects of his position now. John has a similar build and similar athletic ability. He should be studying him. It's also worth noting that Wade came into the league a poor shooter and worked his tail off to develop his picture perfect shooting mechanics on his jumper.

But in terms of PG skills and how to run the offense in the half court, Parker and CP3 are his best bets IMO. They've got similar passing ability. John really has a ton of natural passing ability and floor vision, like LeBron, he's got the passing gene. It'd be nice if he harnesses this ability with disciplined, structured play both in the halfcourt offense and in transition and cut down his turnovers.

I think John gets to train with Team USA this summer but won't have a shot to make the team until 2016. It will be a great learning experience for him. I think he'd be perfect for the team in a few years. He'd be the point guard surrounded by elite scorers. He would just rack up the assists.

I think that decision was Kobe's. For all his faults' date=' Brown does know defense and has dealt with a superduper star before. Kobe probably didn't want to feel like he was training Shaw, you know?[/quote']

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/25/lakers.coach.brown/

The source close to the Lakers told SI.com that Kobe Bryant was "surprised" by the news of the team's interest in Brown late Tuesday, and that he was not a part of the decision-making process. Bryant had been a staunch supporter of Lakers assistant Brian Shaw for the position.

I've seen rumors a couple of times throughout the season that Kobe isn't exactly a fan of Brown as well.

Who knows though

Seraphin posted an entry on a french blog. Here is the translated version. It's a really nice read.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/Actualites/-content-de-ma-saison/281212Happy with my season

This second NBA season has been eventful. I was frustrated and disappointed at first, then satisfied and happy especially when I had the opportunity to play. Between the first and the second part of the season, it was the day and night! At the end of this season, I'm still happy. I proved that I have the skills to play in NBA and I could become an important part of a franchise. It took time, but my work has paid off.

I learned a lot during the last ten months through the various experiences I had. The Eurobasket played with the French team has been one of the trigger of my season. It was extremely interesting to do the training camp, to live with the team, and spend some times with experienced players such as Tony Parker. Playing some minutes during the competition allowed me to put me in confidence.

My experience in Vitoria has also been an interesting experience. This is a legendary club, an institution of European basketball. It gave me the opportunity to work with one of the greatest personalities of basketball, Dusko Ivanovic. This is a very demanding coach, but the results speak for him. He really helped me during the few weeks I spent in the Basque Country. Occasionally, I imagine how my last NBA season would be if I played in the month of December, when I was in great shape after my return from Europe. But hey, it is useless to dwell on the past ...

After my experience in Victoria, I thought I would play more in Washington. Despite a training camp during which I showed to my advantage, coach Flip Saunders left me on the bench. All the confidence, that I gained during the past few months in Europe, has disappeared in few weeks. During this time, I really doubted. But I could not give up. Randy Wittman, who is currently the coach of the team but that was already the assistant of Flip Saunders early in the season told me not to let go. I followed his advice. So I decided to keep working hard until the coach gave the opportunity. At that time, I didn't know that it was Randy who would help me to do such a good second half of the season ...

The eviction of Flip Saunders has changed everything. With Randy Wittman, my playing time has increased. From his first practice, he clearly said: everyone would have his chance. He has given me the playing time and I was able to start my season. The trigger has been the performance that I has produced against the Lakers with my 14 points and 9 rebounds. During this match, I felt good and it allowed me to regain confidence in me. Subsequently, the coach continued to trust me and the management has conducted trades that allowed me to enjoy a interesting playing time. Today I can say, coach Wittman was the savior of my season! I owe him a lot and I really want him as the head coach for the next season. This is largely thanks to him that I could make a good season. I know I will have to confirm next year, people will expect a lot from me, but I would be ready for the challenge.

About my game, I think I improved on several levels. I worked my technique, my offensive moves left hand for example. Now, I have some offensive movements. I am also better at reading the game but I still have to improve my game and, for example, my rebound.

After a few days off, I came back to training with my physical trainer before leaving for France next Sunday. I also planned to spend a few days in French Guyana before the end of the month. My season, I hope, is far from over. I will continue to prepare myself in the context of the placement of the France team for Olympics. This is my priority for the coming weeks. I may be able to compete in the Olympics and I will give everything to try to be part of the roster. In conclusion, I give you my prediction for the NBA playoffs: I see a Oklahoma City Thunder - Miami Heat final. But be careful with San Antonio which could produce some good games in the Western Conference!

If the entire locker room feels that way about Wittman, then he may be staying.

I see Wall become a better passing version of Russell Westbrook.

He doesn't have the ability to dribble in traffic like CP3 and other PGs that don't lose their dribble and will simply ignore the basket and circle back around if they feel like it. I've never seen an NBA player develop that ability. It's instinctual. He's not a natural shooter like DWill. He doesn't have the body control that allows Rose to score from any angle within 7 feet of the basket (and no one else in the league does either).

Westbrook is stronger, Wall is faster, but they essentially have the same offensive game. Drive hard to the basket or pull up at around 15 feet if they get cut off.

• 2 weeks later...

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/05/16/12/NBA-Draft-Drummond-offers-giant-potentia/landing.html?blockID=730272&feedID=3561

NBA Draft: Drummond offers giant potential

Andre Drummond arrived at Connecticut as the No. 2-ranked high school prospect and was viewed as an athletic big man expected to give the Huskies a good shot to repeat as national champions.

Instead, Drummond was inconsistent and a bit of a disappointment, and UConn mostly underachieved.

So why are NBA scouts and general managers so high on the 6-foot-10 center?

“Well, because of his upside,” a scout said. “We love that here in the NBA.”

Just like a lot of prospects in what is perceived as a deep draft, so much of Drummond’s stock will be determined by how he fares in individual workouts. It’s pretty clear Kentucky forward Anthony Davis will go No. 1 — but who goes No. 2 remains up for grabs.

“If Drummond impresses (during individual workouts), he’ll be that guy,” one scout said. “If he doesn’t, and just looks so-so, he could drop fast. There might not be a bigger unknown at the moment.”

The scout later summed up Drummond this way: “There’s no doubt about his size and athleticism. It’s far and away better than any other center (in the draft). Now, he just has to answer the rest of the questions. If most of the answers are positive, and you feel he still has a high ceiling, some of the other risks will make him worth taking.”

I'd consider taking Drummond if we fell to 5. Davis, Gilchrist, Beal. That order. If all three of them are gone, I'd probably take a shot at Drummond.

I'd go Davis, Beal, MKG, TRob, before I consider Drummond.

On a sidenote, has anybody heard anything in regards to our coaching situation? The more time that goes without any news, the more I think Wittman returns.

Maybe they're waiting on something to go down, one way or another, with Woodson in NY. I think it'll be Whittman, Woodson or Shaw.

And I like TRob, I just question his upside. When it comes to top of the draft, high picks, I'm a "high risk, high reward" type of person.

Maybe they're waiting on something to go down, one way or another, with Woodson in NY. I think it'll be Whittman, Woodson or Shaw.

And I like TRob, I just question his upside. When it comes to top of the draft, high picks, I'm a "high risk, high reward" type of person.

Me too.....and that's why I'd take Drummond over anyone not named Anthony Davis.

Interesting trade idea that floated into my head... being from LA I hear that the Lakers are wanting to part with Bynum and interested in trading him for Dwight Howard.

What do you guys think about trading John Wall straight up for Bynum? I'm not advocating this trade, just throwing it out there...