Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

GP--GS---MIN---FGM-A-----FG%---3PM-A----3P%---FTM-A----FT%---OR----DR----REB---AST---BLK---STL---PF---TO---PTS

69---64---37.8---5.8-14.1--.409-----0.5-1.7---.296---4.4-5.7---.766-----0.5----4.1----4.6-----8.3----0.5----1.8----2.5---3.8--16.4

65---65---36.3---5.8-13.6--.423-----0.0-0.6---.071---4.9-6.2---.790-----0.7----3.9----4.5-----8.0----0.9----1.4----2.1---3.9--16.4

John Wall - '10-'11 season followed by '11-'12 season...

John is basically still the exact same player we drafted.

Is that a good or bad thing?

Is that a good or bad thing?

Bad thing to me. He should be steadily improve each year for his first couple of years but his numbers are almost identical. And he played much of last year with an injury...

I'll give him something of a pass since his numbers were incredible for a rookie and the lockout made it hard for a lot of rising sophomores to improve. But still... you'd like to see at least one thing positive make a big leap.

DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe year one to year two improvement is really conspicuous in my mind. Ditto for Evan Turner. I realize these guys set the bar low after their rookie seasons while Wall's was high, but it is what it is. Their teams feel relatively confident that their guys are improving while we're spinning wheels.

Bad thing to me. He should be steadily improve each year for his first couple of years but his numbers are almost identical. And he played much of last year with an injury...

I'll give him something of a pass since his numbers were incredible for a rookie and the lockout made it hard for a lot of rising sophomores to improve. But still... you'd like to see at least one thing positive make a big leap.

DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe year one to year two improvement is really conspicuous in my mind. Ditto for Evan Turner. I realize these guys set the bar low after their rookie seasons while Wall's was high, but it is what it is. Their teams feel relatively confident that their guys are improving while we're spinning wheels.

The numbers would be easier to swallow if he had shown a new development to his game this season. His skill set went virtually unchanged from his rookie year, that can't happen again if we're going to make any kind of move.

The numbers would be easier to swallow if he had shown a new development to his game this season. His skill set went virtually unchanged from his rookie year, that can't happen again if we're going to make any kind of move.

Exactly. I really, really, really (that enough emphasis?) want to see him progress as a defender next year. If he does that, then the offensive numbers could stay the same and I'd be happy with his development next year.

Beyond that, I'd like to see him develop as a finisher at the rim, add some new moves, show better instincts, show better handles, etc. If he does that, and continues to improve his jump shot, then his FG % will climb.

It'd also be nice to see him cut his turnovers down a bit, but as ball dominant as he is, that's not likely. His turnover rate is in line with guys like LeBron (although his scoring certainly isn't).

---------- Post added April-26th-2012 at 02:51 PM ----------

I will say that I think Wall has matured a bit both physically and emotionally and we haven't really seen that play out in his numbers or his skillset yet. I'd like to see what observers think of his progression off the court.

Out of curiosity, I'd love to see how Wall's #'s were following the Young/McGee trade.

His numbers were down for a bit, but that could be contributed to learning on the fly how to play with a competent big man. The trade also coincided with his worst shooting slump of the season. With Nene & Booker leaving the lineup so soon after the trade, its hard to get a real feel based on that small sample size.

John Wall regressed. Going from .296 from three point land to essentially abandoning that aspect of the game isn't a sign of growth from a point guard. That accounts for his increase in FG% and every other number virtually stayed exactly the same. The NBA isn't a league that rewards players for taking shots OUT of their game.

He needs a big year next year to avoid looking like a "good but not great" player. His assist numbers are very high though and that's not typical in the NBA. If we had the kind of team that actually developed players he'd be on his way to being a really special player.

---------- Post added April-26th-2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

This was a total waste of a season.

These guys deserve a chance with a new coaching staff.

and GM. Sadly Ted has lost his mind and decided that we are in year two of EG. The other 7 can just be blamed on the deceased apparently.

The Poet speaks

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7858434/reasons-washington-wizards-fans-hope

Reasons for Wizards fans to hope

By Etan Thomas

April 26, 2012, 3:03 PM ET

With the win against the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday, the Washington Wizards have the longest current winning streak in the East. During that five-game stretch, they defeated the Chicago Bulls and Miami Heat, who will be the top two seeds from their conference.

Maybe the situation in Washington, D.C., is not as bad as it previously seemed?

Before we all burst with over-enthusiasm, it is important to note that Miami was resting LeBron James and Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade was injured in the first quarter, and Chicago was without Luol Deng and last season's MVP, Derrick Rose. The Charlotte Bobcats are on the longest losing streak of their franchise history and in last place in the NBA, and the Cavs are only a couple bounces better than the Wizards. But wins are wins, and this team embraced the role of spoiler for the Milwaukee Bucks, who missed out on the final playoff spot.

So why am I optimistic about the future of my former team?

Start with commitment to the franchise's current plan. The re-signing of team president Ernie Grunfeld surprised many people. The blogosphere was filled with endless chiding for this decision, but the only opinion that matters is that of CEO Ted Leonsis, who gave Grunfeld the nod of approval.

"Like you, I now expect the Wizards to transition from a work in progress to a team that competes for a playoff spot," Leonsis wrote of the decision.

Just as factions of the Republican party continuously castigated Mitt Romney throughout the primaries but are now uniting under one common goal, with doubts about Grunfeld's near-term future cleared up, fans will have no choice but to unite behind their management.

Leonsis has said he is looking at the Oklahoma City Thunder as the template to follow, and he seems to be executing that plan. The team is rebuilding through the draft, adding young quality players, retaining salary cap flexibility and adding a few veterans to give guidance. That final role has been filled by Roger Mason and Maurice Evans.

That's framework that in theory (or with Kevin Durant) should result in success. While young players are developing (or until a superstar asserts himself), it is important to do something that makes fans excited about coming to games. A developing team doesn't have to win every game, but playing hard, giving good effort and keeping games respectable are important from a fan's perspective. It is crucial that fans feel they are getting their money's worth and the players are leaving everything on the floor, are passionate and show that they care.

The fans in D.C. are some of the best fans in the country, and the Verizon Center is a wonderful place to play, but that magic was missing for a while this season. The boo birds found their way into the stands far too often.

As this tumultuous abbreviated season went on and the losses continued to mount, it became apparent that a move was needed. In March the Wizards gave up incredibly talented players JaVale McGee and Nick Young as part of a three-team trade that broughtNene to town.

Nene, is not only a proven center, but was one of the most sought-after free agents in 2011. They are able to pair him with the ever-improving Kevin Seraphin, whose minutes and contributions have increased all season (he's averaging 15.8 points and 7.8 rebounds in April). Add to that mix Jan Vesely, who does so many of the little things well, such as running the floor, boxing out, tip-ins, etc., and the Wizards have a very capable front line.

That brings us to the future star and the guy who can make the Wizards' strategy pay off. John Wall has the talent and ability to be one of the premier point guards in the NBA. He has an explosive change-of-speed attack to the rim that catches opponents completely off guard and on their heels, even though every scouting report says "one of the fastest guards in the NBA."

Can he improve on his outside shooting? Yes, and he has publicly acknowledged this and vows to work on his outside shot. If Wall continues his improvement, his first All-Star appearance shouldn't be too far away.

He'll also face increasing pressure to raise the competitive level of this team. Fans and management only have so much patience for the overall No. 1 pick to start delivering, especially as they watch players such as Derrick Rose and Blake Griffin mature and take once-bad teams to the playoffs.

There are plenty of complementary players and other young guys with upside as well: Rashard Lewis, although the elder statesman of this roster, is still a great spot-up 3-point shooter. Trevor Booker earned a starting spot in February and had four double-doubles in points and rebounds in two months before being sidelined again by a foot injury. Jordan Crawford, although he could improve his shot selection, is capable of creating his scoring opportunities, which is invaluable to any system. Brian Cook is a versatile big man who can play inside and outside, and James Singleton gives maximum effort every time he steps on the court.

It is unclear whether the team will decide to move Andray Blatche, who despite the tough season is a very talented player.

However, having talent isn't enough. Until this team starts winning more, it and the front office will hear endless criticism as reporters have grown fond of the moniker "the Woeful Wizards." The Wizards will be chastised for finishing with the second-worst record in the NBA for the second time in four seasons.

On the bright side, they can also finish with no worse than the fifth overall pick in the June 28 NBA draft in which college standouts such as Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Andre Drummond, Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal and Jeremy Lamb are just salivating at their chance to make their splash in the NBA.

Things aren't as bad as they may appear to be.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Talk about some rose colored glasses.

Not to quibble, but if we were truly following the Thunder model we'd have poached some brilliant young exec from the Spurs the moment Ted assumed control instead of wasting our time with Ernie.

Whatever. I think the lottery pick this year will ultimately make or break us. If we **** it up, we're probably doomed. If we get lucky and get a true second star, then we could become a playoff team sooner, rather than later.

Its RG3 night, nobody cares about the Wizards beating Miami's D-squad :ols:

Yep.

I will say that the outlook is ****ing GRIM for Miami if any one of their big 3 goes down...

Seriously. That's the rest of their team? It's worse than I thought. Shane Battier. Maybe Udonis Haslem. Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole might be 10th or 11th men on some other team. Other than that, there isn't a player on that team outside the big 3 that would make most NBA rosters.

I don't know about Miami. LeBron and Wade are HoF caliber, top five players. Bosh is an extremely valuable PF. But if that's the 4-12 and they're getting blown out by us, they flat out suck. Can they beat a truly balanced and well constructed team like OKC or San Antonio? Can they beat Chicago? If they do, it's a testament to how amazing LeBron and Wade are.

Did anyone watch this game? How did Jan look? His numbers pop. I'm telling you all, this guy is going to be a good player. When we get Anthony Davis or Michael Kidd Gilchrist and he and Wall are busting heads, we're going to be glad we've got Vesely. He'll be doing all of the unheralded things that lead to winning basketball--rebounding, covering passing lanes, helping out, protecting the rim, contesting shots, tipping offensive rebounds, setting picks, making smart passes, and defending/finishing in transition.

---------- Post added April-26th-2012 at 11:03 PM ----------

I'm seriously doubting that LeBron can ever win a championship with Miami with this roster construction. The 4-12 blows. Bosh is making way too much money for what he brings to the table and they've got no cap flexibility to improve the 1 and the 5.

Miami desperately needs some sort of oomph inside. Their front line is pathetic behind Bosh, and Bosh is more of a finesse big anyway.

If they don't get their championship this year off of some transcendent performances from LeBron and Wade every series, they need to mix things up a bit. They need to take a flier on someone like Greg Oden. They're rebounding is pathetic and they can't gum up the paint. How can you win a championship without being able to do that? LeBron and Wade are amazing but nobody can overcome horrific play from your bigs. Seriously, I would rather have our front line than theirs...

Its amazing how this streak has turned opinions. Two weeks ago, you couldn't find a soul who wanted Wittman to return, now reading different sites, more and more people are endorsing the idea.

I'm at a loss for words.

Not really true, plenty of people were backing Randy shortly after the trade with the way he had them playing. I'll say this, unless an amazing option appears, I'd greatly prefer Randy over D'Antoni. No question about it.

I'd honestly be very surprised at this point if Randy isn't back, given the EG extension.

Its amazing how this streak has turned opinions. Two weeks ago, you couldn't find a soul who wanted Wittman to return, now reading different sites, more and more people are endorsing the idea.

I'm at a loss for words.

But but but we finished strong! It will totally carry over into next season! Right?

What are the odds of EG being smart and signing Martin and J Singleton? I bet they're gone.

I'm at a loss for words.

I've been pumping up Whitman for a little bit now. Absolutely loved the interview he did on 980 a few weeks after he got the job. He's not a politician like a lot of coaches are. And I've said over and over that I love seeing him coach up Seraphin.

Before, I thought there was no chance he comes back. But honestly, if there are no coaching options out there that blow us away, what the hell, bring him back. I'd rather roll with what we know and is getting results, then to pick up some failed retread just because he has a bigger name.

And no, I didn't watch the game tonight. First one I've missed in awhile. It's the NFL draft man. For most of my life it's had greater importance to me than Christmas. It's like my second birthday. I also missed the Nats game; the absolute first one--out of 29--that I haven't watched all year. And that includes day games that I watched at my desk at work. It's the NFL draft man.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I've been pumping up Whitman for a little bit now. Absolutely loved the interview he did on 980 a few weeks after he got the job. He's not a politician like a lot of coaches are. And I've said over and over that I love seeing him coach up Seraphin.

Before, I thought there was no chance he comes back. But honestly, if there are no coaching options out there that blow us away, what the hell, bring him back. I'd rather roll with what we know and is getting results, then to pick up some failed retread just because he has a bigger name.

And no, I didn't watch the game tonight. First one I've missed in awhile. It's the NFL draft man. For most of my life it's had greater importance to me than Christmas. It's like my second birthday. I also missed the Nats game; the absolute first one--out of 29--that I haven't watched all year. And that includes day games that I watched at my desk at work. It's the NFL draft man.

I'm with you on not bringing in a big name retread, but I'm not putting much stock in the "results". I think what we're seeing now is more smoke than actual fire. More importantly, I want us to get the coach we think will be here for the foreseeable future and so he & the crew can get on the same page.

Wittman got the team to do the bare minimum of what's expected by getting them to play hard. I'm not sure that's grounds for an extension. I don't dislike the man, I just have a hard time accepting that there is not a better option out there.

Blatche was boo'd during the end of the season ritual when players hand their jersey's to one selected fan. :ols:

Haha... awesome.

On a side note. Even though Whittman has ended the season on a high note ( i guess), i still expect EG to bring in D'Antoni next season and completely ruin everything we got going for us at this point.

I'm at a loss for words.

Not really true. I've been a "supporter" of Wittman ever since he started holding players accountable. I was/am still wishy washy about him returning because we still had a lot of up and down this year, but I'm definitely not against it. I mean the same squad that was 2-15 under Flip went and won two of the first 3 under Wittman. I like Wittman's style I just don't know how far he can take this team.

---------- Post added April-27th-2012 at 06:24 AM ----------

I don't want some retread just to have somebody new. If we see somebody out there who we think has the potential to be the next great hire then I think we should go for it. But if we're just going to bring in another coach to mold the team in his own image and set back the rebuild, then whats the point. Wittman seems to have a good chemistry with the players and what I like most is that he holds them accountable. I admit that maybe he was free to do that this year though because he was an interim coach so he wasn't afraid of being fired. Hopefully he continues to do that if he keeps the job.