Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Is he worth the reach? I am all for reaching if it is somebody that we need.

He is gonna be your classic steep riser leading up to the draft. It could be worth it if we drop to the 4th/5th pick. Ultimately, I don't see it happening but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yep, and he was the 6th man on that stacked Cuse team. Who knows what he could do in a main scoring role. We do lack an electric scorer, it's just idk if he is worth a top 5 pick.

Not a lot of NBA talent on that Cuse team other than Waiters though. Usually a future NBA superstar can come in and take over a prominent role early in his collegiate career. But I understand that in a power program like Syracuse, you generally have to earn respect and opportunities, which takes time. It was a similar situation for TRob at Kansas (except Waiters obviously never produced at Cuse anything like TRob did last season).

Still, Waiters looks interesting. I love his ability to attack the rim and score in a variety of ways. I don't know about a D Wade comparison just yet. Wade came in and was extremely successful his two years that he played whereas Waiters is still very much a wait and see.

https://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Perry Jones is killing it in this workout. Playing as a 3. Speed, skill, explosiveness, soft jumper. Energy. Another Paul George?

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Marcus Denmon looks good in second group. There's a toughness there. Being a leader. Hitting shots. Hustling. Scouts think he's underrated

I feel like TRob is really getting forgotten about by the draftniks and the media, probably because this is a very strong draft class. I think he can be a future star in the NBA because he's a fantastic athlete.

TRob is one of the most projectable guys in the high lotto range. He's already got an elite NBA body, he can handle the ball reasonably well for his size, he's a monstrous rebounder, and has a first rate motor. Those are the qualities of a future star power forward. I think he's a little bit better prospect than DWill was last year, better, and quicker athlete with a stronger build. He shares a lot of qualities with Blake Griffin. To me he's one of the clear cut four best players in the class. I don't think we'll have to do worse than him.

---------- Post added May-25th-2012 at 11:09 AM ----------

I'd say Denmon is properly rated. He's a second round pick. He's a senior, he should be showing mature qualities but his upside still isn't very high. A very similar player to Shelvin Mack, albeit one who enjoyed far less team success in college--not necessarily his fault since their coach left mid career.

I could easily see Ernie falling in love with PJIII, and that scares the hell out of me.

Who knows with that crazy butthole, maybe he does the 2 for 6 + 11 if its available and goes the Waiters and PJIII. If we got the 5th, he'd probably take Barnes and give some speech about how much he is in love with his perimeter scoring and experience under a HOF coach at UNC.

Edited by SuperBash

Just some random thoughts..

Beal is being overrated at this point no chance he goes top 3. I'm willing to sig bet.

Lamb has become underrated at this point because of UConns poor season. He faced constant doubles and traps and still shot a good fg% for a 2 guard. He basically had to turn into a gunner for them to have any chance. Without him last season UConn does'nt win that national championship. Somebody will get a very good player outside the top 5.

Waiters is a good player but honestly I like Beal,Lamb and Rivers alot more.

Doron Lamb from Kentucky is gonna make a team very happy as well late 1st. This kid can flatout stroke the ball and is gonna add to a playoff contender.

TRob is the biggest risk in this draft for me and honestly I like Sully better. No playing time until now and don't give me the bigtime program BS about waiting your turn. Freshman make bigtime impacts all day like Sully and many others. The kid did'nt play any of his 1st 2 years and turns the ball over at a huge clip for a PF even in previous seasons in limited minutes. He struggles againest lenght.

What does TRob do that is so much better then Sully?

I will tell you nothing, but run faster and jump higher. Sully is a better shooter, better post player, better postional post defender. Both struggle with lenght but Sully is so much craftier and polished offensively. Both rebound the ball.

Drummond will go #2 overall because teams love size and athletism especially being only 18.

Barnes is gonna be a solid starter for somebody. He won't be a superstar but he will be a solid pro for a long time. He is a good defender, can finish on the break and shoots very well when setup. He is actually a decent fit for JWall and this team needs wings that can hit spotup shots and spread the floor.

MKG- I love his work ethic and desire. He is my #2 prospect by a mile but i'm not sure he will ever be a alpha dog either he will be a very good starter for somebody. I'm just not sure he is the best fit for this team his outside shot is absolutely horrible. We have way to many guys that can't shoot we have to add shooters.

I'm looking to trade the pick either down or for a great fit on a cheap contract. I would entertain a Nene+pick package for Howard but we would still need shooters bad.

Edited by Samuels

Per Chad Ford.

I walked away really impressed with Georgetown's Hollis Thompson. Thompson worked out against Waiters on Tuesday and he shot the lights out from everywhere on the floor. He's got an effortless stroke, a quick release and excellent range on his jumper.

When you factor in that he's a legit 6-foot-8, has long arms, is a good athlete and is technically really sound ... what's not to like?

Thompson shot 44 percent from 3-point range during his career at Georgetown. While he wasn't a dominant scorer (he averaged 12.8 ppg as a junior at Georgetown) he played within an offense that didn't really give him the freedom to take over.

He's also a very intelligent player who majored in Economics at Georgetown. He had his first NBA workout in Miami on Wednesday and he's been invited to the Chicago pre-draft camp.

Thompson needs to get stronger and continue to work on his ball handling, but he should look excellent in workouts and get serious consideration in the second round -- and maybe even late in the first.

Per Chad Ford.

Hollis has a very good shot with range with proto-typical SF size. At Georgetown its hard to really shine unless your a complete shot jacker or your a high post bigman the offense is so slow and methodical. I really wanted him to come back for his senior season.

Sims turned into a good player as well and is a hellva passer for a bigman.

Hollis has a very good shot with range with proto-typical SF size. At Georgetown its hard to really shine unless your a complete shot jacker or your a high post bigman the offense is so slow and methodical. I really wanted him to come back for his senior season.

Sims turned into a good player as well and is a hellva passer for a bigman.

Yep.

I've been saying for years that Hollis will be a solid pro.

6-8 with good athleticism and a great three-point shot.

From everything I've read, he's having very good workouts.

He'll be working out for the Wiz soon.

And as for Sims, you're right. A very good passer who definitely has a chance to play in the NBA.

I'm not overly concerned about MKG's shot mechanics. I'm more concerned if he can IMPROVE on his accuracy. That being said, his shot form wont matter as long as he can create space for himself. There are countless guys in the NBA who have awful looking jumpers. It's a non-issue to me.

That double clutch thing he does is just brutal. It's like Shawn Marion with a double clutch. Ugly upon ugly.

I couldn't decide if he was double clutching or just really damn late in his release. I went with late. lol