Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

He seemed to get through to the guys towards the end of the season and I like his style. Having said that, I'm still disappointed we didn't go after a young, up and coming assistant coach.

I don't dislike Wittman. My problem is the Wizards accepting mediocrity as a ceiling. Keeping Wittman shows a distinct lack of vision or creativity. Wittman on his best day is a "meh" kind of coach. Good motivator, but far below average in terms of X's & O's.

Does anybody honestly see Wittman being here for more than the next 2 years?

Edited by StillUnknown

I think his contract is up after the 2012-2013 season.

I think it's a low-risk/high-reward move.

I'm not mad at the Wizards retaining Wittman. The guys responded real well to him...and he actually held players accountable for their actions. If he falters, he won't be back because of his current contract. Besides, SVG is reportedly taking a year off.

I think he was always going #2 overall. The kid has crazy high upside. They've been talking about him as a first overall type since he was a 6'10 high school junior.

---------- Post added May-29th-2012 at 06:54 PM ----------

Personally I like Drummond. I didn't like him at first because of his rep. But I watched a few Uconn games where he played well. He's a physical force that looks like the image of young Amare/Dwight only with more developed passing and pull up shooting skills.

When he's good, Drummond is completely unstoppable. He was like 17 or 18 years old and physically dominating Big East players. When he's off, he's invisible. But he's a monstrous talent.

Drummond has a huge upside no doubt more so then even Davis because he can be physically dominant.I just don't like his motor at times he seems to just go thru the motions but when he hustles he is dominant. It don't matter who gets #2 pick I believe he will go there even if its a trade down. The first 4 picks are locks in my opinion to be Davis, Drummond, MKG, Robinson. I could see Barnes or Beal going #5 but there will be a high riser from somewhere like normal.

I don't dislike Wittman. My problem is the Wizards accepting mediocrity as a ceiling. Keeping Wittman shows a distinct lack of vision or creativity. Wittman on his best day is a "meh" kind of coach. Good motivator, but far below average in terms of X's & O's.

Does anybody honestly see Wittman being here for more than the next 2 years?

Ted is being a cheap you know what and don't wanna pay Randy and a new coach. We will hire a new coach after next season instead of getting him now. Wittman is a lousy x and o coach this team needs to be pick&roll heavy with lots of high ball screens for Wall.

Singleton was a major disappointment, IMO. I don't think the team would put all their eggs in a basket with the hopes of landing the #1 while being content with Singleton at the 3. Makes no sense to me. MKG, Barnes, etc are ALL upgrades over #31.

If you can trade it for Harden, Batum, or someone legitimately good (package Lewis) I think you have to.

If you can trade it for Harden, Batum, or someone legitimately good (package Lewis) I think you have to.

Obviously, but my gripe w. the Givony tweet is that he insinuated that we have a MKG-type on the roster in Singleton and that is why we'd be willing to move the pick if it lands anywhere outside of the #1 overall. Singleton is not that good. MKG/Barnes would be an IMMEDIATE upgrade over him.

*EG has been burned by trading picks in the past. Outside of Harden, there isn't anyone who is rumored to be on the block that I'd give up a top-5 pick for. And Harden isn't even likely to be traded. Our best bet is to pray that we land him in FA a few years from now. So pretty much, we need to hang on to our pick.

Edited by RonArtest15

For Harden yes. Batum no way is'nt he unrestricted fa anyway if he is a Rfa i could live with a #2 pick for Batum +there pick. Batum is a good player but nothing special.

I could see NO trading Gordon for a high pick instead of maxing him out. But not sure i would give up a high pick plus capspace to max him out.

Giovany wasn't tweeting that he thinks Singleton is an MKG type. He was responding to someone else who said that. I guess he could've set them straight, but 140 characters runs out real quick.

Yea...I hear you, and I think he should have clarified himself a bit.

It's minutia, but trading our pick if we don't land the #1 isn't because of the team's hopes for Chris Singleton. SF is a position of need for this team.

* Ray Allen has had a HORRIBLE playoffs. Battling injuries and such. Anyone still on board with giving him a 2 year deal? Even with his age, I think he's going to bounce back next year. He's a UFA and will have PLENTY of suitors. As a matter of fact, I think he'd look good on the Bulls.

* Ray Allen has had a HORRIBLE playoffs. Battling injuries and such. Anyone still on board with giving him a 2 year deal? Even with his age, I think he's going to bounce back next year. He's a UFA and will have PLENTY of suitors. As a matter of fact, I think he'd look good on the Bulls.

Nope. I'm not on board with that at all.

I want a player that we can grow with....not a stopgap. And besides, you're assuming Ray would sign with us......

Did you see great screen setting for shooters from this team? This team runs a training wheels pick n roll offense where most players just stand there looking stupid. Ray Allen would never come here.

Edited by Destino

https://twitter.com/?tw_e=screenname&tw_i=207621780087652354&tw_p=tweetembed#!/JacksonSports

Scott Jackson ‏@JacksonSports

Again to reiterate Grunfeld did not say Wittman is coach next yr. He says under contract.

Scott Jackson ‏@JacksonSports

My feeling is still Wittman is guy. The #Wizards for now appear to be keeping wiggle room if a bigger fish comes along or contract issues.

Yea...I hear you, and I think he should have clarified himself a bit.

It's minutia, but trading our pick if we don't land the #1 isn't because of the team's hopes for Chris Singleton. SF is a position of need for this team.

Ray would retire before he signed with us.

What a winning streak against the JV squad of other teams will do for ya.

We have coaches like SVG and Jerry Sloan waiting to be hired and here we are with career loser Randy Wittman.

Lazy front office.

I don't care who was out there, 6 wins in a row is 6 wins. These guys were playing hard up until the very last minute of the season. With this current team, what more could you ask?

Also, who's to say that either Sloan or SVG would want to coach here anyways? Going by the tweets, Wittman IS the coach at the moment, but that could change. I'm not mad at all if he's brought back for another year. FWIW, I did hear SVG was taking the season off anyways.

*Ok, so I see my Ray Allen idea was shot down LOL. Destino brought up a good point about Ray getting free off of screens etc, and how he'd struggle with that here in DC. After watching the Spurs, I think Ray would be amazing in SA.

What a winning streak against the JV squad of other teams will do for ya.

We have coaches like SVG and Jerry Sloan waiting to be hired and here we are with career loser Randy Wittman.

Lazy front office.

Uh, you do realize how bad this team looked at the beginning of the year, where we were looking historically bad. Randy came in here and turned this team around. Yeah another coach could come in here and do well, or they could bomb. We don't know how they'll gel with players, how they'll handle Wall, what offense they'll install, etc. Wittman did a good job in his time and deserves a chance moving forward.

IF land Davis, don't be surprised it Wittman finishes his contract out and Calipari is brought in next offseason.

I've said before that Cal will eventually be the coach and I'm sticking to that prediction.

Especially, if we acquire the number one overall pick.

Hopefully, Stern throws us a bone tonight and actually rewards us for NOT tanking.