Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/nba-draft-2012-wizards-hoping-to-hit-the-lottery-get-chance-to-pick-anthony-davis-no-1/2012/05/29/gJQAEVeF0U_story.html

The Wizards currently have about $59 million committed to 10 players — not including a high lottery pick and two second-round selections (Nos. 32 and 46) next month — for next season, but the team has several options to potentially clear cap space and add talent through free agency or from absorbing salary through trades.

“We’re going to explore every option at our disposal,” Grunfeld said. “It’s different ways to try to add players to your team, whether it’s though the draft, through free agency, or could be through a trade. Last year, we added, what we think is a free agent in Nene, but we did it through a trade. You have to be prepared for every scenario.”

Rashard Lewis has had a disappointing, injury-riddled 1½-year stint in Washington and is slated to be the second-highest paid player in the league next season, but the Wizards can buy out the 14-year veteran by June 30 for $13.7 million, which would reduce the payroll by roughly $10 million.

The team could also free up more money if it chooses to cut ties with Andray Blatche by using the one-time amnesty provision in July. Blatche has failed to contribute at the level expected when he signed an extension nearly two years ago and was shut down for the final month of the season to work on his conditioning. He is still owed $23 million over the next three years.

But according to multiple league sources, the team will look to move Lewis and Blatche prior to the draft before paying them not to play for the organization. Grunfeld intimated last month that Blatche could return.

Calipari's biggest strength is recruiting. I've never found him to be a great coach and I don't think he'll succeed in the NBA and certainly not here.

Blatche.... I'm starting to feel like he is going to play out the remainder of his contract here. Maybe not the last year of it. Ted seems to be going cheap with the Wizards and it seems less and less likely that he gets amnestied with each passing day.

Edited by Destino

Wittman wouldn't be a disaster for next season. I doubt he's a permanent solution. But right now, this team obviously isn't competing for championships. They need a teacher and a motivator that can get them to at least .500. If we find something more than that great. But the first task is to figure out how to win at least as much as we lose.

I think Wittman can probably handle that. After we've actually got something, then we can start searching for that great coach.

I don't care who was out there, 6 wins in a row is 6 wins. These guys were playing hard up until the very last minute of the season. With this current team, what more could you ask?

Also, who's to say that either Sloan or SVG would want to coach here anyways? Going by the tweets, Wittman IS the coach at the moment, but that could change. I'm not mad at all if he's brought back for another year. FWIW, I did hear SVG was taking the season off anyways.

*Ok, so I see my Ray Allen idea was shot down LOL. Destino brought up a good point about Ray getting free off of screens etc, and how he'd struggle with that here in DC. After watching the Spurs, I think Ray would be amazing in SA.

Uh, you do realize how bad this team looked at the beginning of the year, where we were looking historically bad. Randy came in here and turned this team around. Yeah another coach could come in here and do well, or they could bomb. We don't know how they'll gel with players, how they'll handle Wall, what offense they'll install, etc. Wittman did a good job in his time and deserves a chance moving forward.

Are either of you convinced that he can be a 40-50+ win coach for this team? What about his resume makes him a good fit for this team?

You can't use stop gap coaches in the NBA. A coaching regime overhaul completely changes the philosophy of your team. There is absolutely no point in having Wittman coach this team.

And Jerry Sloan is considering coaching the Bobcats. The fact that the Wizards aren't on his radar tells me two possible things:

1. The situation in DC is much worse than we can imagine.

2. Grunfeld is lazy and doesn't know how to sell his product.

The likely answer is #2 because our roster is infinitely better than Charlotte and we have a bunch of quality big men to work with and a superstar caliber point guard.

Edited by No Excuses

I don't care who was out there, 6 wins in a row is 6 wins. These guys were playing hard up until the very last minute of the season. With this current team, what more could you ask?

Also, who's to say that either Sloan or SVG would want to coach here anyways? Going by the tweets, Wittman IS the coach at the moment, but that could change. I'm not mad at all if he's brought back for another year. FWIW, I did hear SVG was taking the season off anyways.

*Ok, so I see my Ray Allen idea was shot down LOL. Destino brought up a good point about Ray getting free off of screens etc, and how he'd struggle with that here in DC. After watching the Spurs, I think Ray would be amazing in SA.

According to reports, Sloan is interested in the ****ing Bobcats of all teams. Ted should call him up and let him write in his own number.

Instead, much like our non-existent search for a new GM, it seems we're taking the cheap & lazy way out.

Ted has said repeatedly we are in year 3 of the rebuild and he expects to actually win a good amount of games. That ain't happening with Wittman at the helm.

Are either of you convinced that he can be a 40-50+ win coach for this team? What about his resume makes him a good fit for this team?

You can't use stop gap coaches in the NBA. A coaching regime overhaul completely changes the philosophy of your team. There is absolutely no point in having Wittman coach this team.

And Jerry Sloan is considering coaching the Bobcats. The fact that the Wizards aren't on his radar tells me two possible things:

1. The situation in DC is much worse than we can imagine.

2. Grunfeld is lazy and doesn't know how to sell his product.

The likely answer is #2 because our roster is infinitely better than Charlotte and we have a bunch of quality big men to work with and a superstar caliber point guard.

If Wittman is a stop-gap coach, so what? 40-50 wins is a pipe-dream next year. Let's be realistic. And how do we know that Jerry Sloan doesn't have the Wizards on his radar? Wittman is expendable and can be canned at any moment. As a matter of fact, I was just reading on BF that the team is non-committal on Wittman's future. Is it likely he'll be our coach next year? Sure. However, NOTHING is set in stone just yet.

The Bobcats job is awful. Just because Sloan isn't considering (or publically saying) that he's got interest here in DC doesn't mean an awful lot to me.

We'll be fine. Year 3 of the rebuild is going to be HUGE. I expect this team to be in contention for the 8th seed next year with around 30-35 wins. If they keep responding well to Wittman, extend the man. If the team looks like it's plateued, explore other options. Wittman, IMO, has earned the right to coach this squad for the next season. He did some real good things in his time as the bench boss, so I'm curious to see what happens from here on out. Again, we'll be fine. No need to panic just yet.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 01:08 PM ----------

I have an inside source. Wiz are picking 5th. Sorry everyone :(

reverse psychology...reverse psychology...reverse psychology

(i hope LOL)

Edited by RonArtest15

I had a vivid dream the Wizards got the 5th pick last night. I woke up with night terrors. I'm expecting it while we select Drummond, Barnes, or PJIII with the pick.

I think that pick is gone in a trade if it's not #1 or #2.

Edited by No Excuses

I have an inside source. Wiz are picking 5th. Sorry everyone :(

Every realistic Wiz fan has been preparing for this pick for a few months now.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 01:23 PM ----------

I think that pick is gone in a trade if it's not #1 or #2.

It better be for a SG/SF that can shoot and be a team player, along with a lower 1st rounder. Maybe Kevin Martin and the 14th pick for our pick, MAYBE. Then we could pick up Waiters, PJIII, Rivers, or maybe even Zeller. It might not be all that bad to trade down and pick up a solid player, as long as we get another pick out of it. I realize the whole Foye and Miller debacle but Polin was in win now mode since he was close to death, Ernie doesn't make that trade in a million years again.

If Wittman is a stop-gap coach, so what? 40-50 wins is a pipe-dream next year. Let's be realistic. And how do we know that Jerry Sloan doesn't have the Wizards on his radar? Wittman is expendable and can be canned at any moment. As a matter of fact, I was just reading on BF that the team is non-committal on Wittman's future. Is it likely he'll be our coach next year? Sure. However, NOTHING is set in stone just yet.

The Bobcats job is awful. Just because Sloan isn't considering (or publically saying) that he's got interest here in DC doesn't mean an awful lot to me.

We'll be fine. Year 3 of the rebuild is going to be HUGE. I expect this team to be in contention for the 8th seed next year with around 30-35 wins. If they keep responding well to Wittman, extend the man. If the team looks like it's plateued, explore other options. Wittman, IMO, has earned the right to coach this squad for the next season. He did some real good things in his time as the bench boss, so I'm curious to see what happens from here on out. Again, we'll be fine. No need to panic just yet.

My belief is that you let the team grow in one coaches direction. Don't waste time on guys like Wittman. I'd rather get a new up and comer or perhaps a retread and basically hand him the roster and give him a 2-3 season window.

We already know quite a bit about Wittman. Not with this squad but enough.to know that he's most likely not a good option for a sustained period of time.

Edited by No Excuses

I'm not a very frequent visitor to this thread but with the lottery tonight I am intrigued. I don't know who this Wittman guy is beyond "leading" the team to 6 wins finishing the season. I don't understand how some of you are okay with having a stopgap coach for a year; then bringing in someone else long term and still have a rebuilding plan in place. Not sure what other sport that works in...rebuilding a team around temporary coaches.

Maybe Basketball is different these days?

My belief is that you let the team grow in one coaches direction. Don't waste time on guys like Wittman. I'd rather get a new up and comer or perhaps a retread and basically hand him the roster and give him a 2-3 season window.

We already know quite a bit about Wittman. Not with this squad but enough.to know that he's most likely not a good option for a sustained period of time.

But how does ANYONE know this?

Wittman's track record in other stops isn't impressive (have to consider the teams he was coaching) and he did serve under Flip. However, under Wittman, the Wizards played a brand of competitive basketball that we haven't seen in 3 years or so. On top of it all, he actually held guys accountable for what they were doing (or not doing) on the court. This is what we've all been screaming for over the years.

From how the guys responded to him, I think he deserves to see out the end of his contract. This is why I wasn't the slightest bit mad that he's close to returning as the coach. Like I said before, if things go well and we seem to be trending upwards, extend him. If not, hit the open market in 2013.

*I think it was BF who mentioned that teams like OKC and Indy followed similar strategies in how they went about "hiring" Brooks/Vogel.

Edited by RonArtest15

I think Wittman is a good coach for young players, not a good championship coach for vets. As I've said before, I have no problem with him coming back. No reason to bust our nut early, and spend big on a coach for a team that--best case scenario--squeaks into the playoffs as an 8 seed. Build this **** up, let the coaches coach, when the team is ready to do something and it becomes apparent that we need a coach to take it to the next level, make a move then.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

But how does ANYONE know this?

A 238 game sample size with a win percentage of .331.

His teams may have not been that impressive, but it's likely that he had a play in that as well.

Sorry, competing hard and accountability isn't something that should be applauded. That's basics for any quality franchise. The fact that we saw resemblance of it to end the season doesn't tell me much besides the fact that we've had a clown show for 4+ years.

What's needed is a direction for this team. Basketball philosophy. Wall has been coached by utter crap so far. He needs a coach who will say, "this is the plan, now go work on these skills". Wittman is going to be fighting for his job the moment season starts. This team really doesn't need that. It needs a long term vision.

What is Wittman's plan for a 3 year window? What will be the teams identity? This is what he is: Ernie's puppet. If he sucks, Ernie will fire him and make him the new scapegoat. He already has people on board for Wittman which honestly is very surprising for me. So it seems like two years down the road when Wittman is being given the pink slip, I'll be arguing how I was right years ago about a dumb Grunfeld move and I'll be told "well hindsight...".

Edited by No Excuses

Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was pretty apparent that Wittman made a difference when he replaced Flip last year. To me it looked like the players were being coached. You could see them improving in certain areas, cutting down on mistakes, etc. ESPECIALLY after Swaggy P and Pierre were kicked out of here (but let's not get into that again). Like I said, I don't think Wittman is a long term answer, but I think he is fine for the time being.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was pretty apparent that Whittman made a difference when he replaced Flip last year. To me it looked like the players were being coached. You could see them improving in certain areas, cutting down on mistakes, etc. ESPECIALLY after Swaggy P and Pierre were kicked out of here (but let's not get into that again). Like I said, I don't think Whittman is a long term answer, but I think he is fine for the time being.

Which is why I don't see what the big deal is with him coming back.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 01:59 PM ----------

A 238 game sample size with a win percentage of .331.

His teams may have not been that impressive, but it's likely that he had a play in that as well.

Sorry, competing hard and accountability isn't something that should be applauded. That's basics for any quality franchise. The fact that we saw resemblance of it to end the season doesn't tell me much besides the fact that we've had a clown show for 4+ years.

What's needed is a direction for this team. Basketball philosophy. Wall has been coached by utter crap so far. He needs a coach who will say, "this is the plan, now go work on these skills". Wittman is going to be fighting for his job the moment season starts. This team really doesn't need that. It needs a long term vision.

What is Wittman's plan for a 3 year window? What will be the teams identity? This is what he is: Ernie's puppet. If he sucks, Ernie will fire him and make him the new scapegoat. He already has people on board for Wittman which honestly is very surprising for me. So it seems like two years down the road when Wittman is being given the pink slip, I'll be arguing how I was right years ago about a dumb Grunfeld move and I'll be told "well hindsight...".

When your team was a constant punchline around the NBA for their brain-farts and stupidity, I do hold competing hard and accountability in high-regard. Wittman got the most out of this team in the John Wall era. No, it's not saying a lot, but it's something.

Also, how can you say Wittman is Ernie's puppet when his predecessor didn't have the guts to sit Blatche down when he was obviously ineffective? Wittman pulled no punches and things DID change when he took over. As a matter of fact, you can make an argument that John Wall had his finest stretch in his career (I think it was in Feb) playing for Wittman.

If you want to make a case for Ernie being the problem, then sure...I'm all for it. However, Wittman has done nothing in my eyes not to earn the right to coach this team next year - or potentially beyond (assuming he does well). Like I said before, OKC and Indy followed this blueprint with Brooks and Vogel and they seem to be doing OK.

We're still in the rebuild.

Okay, every year I think I understand the lottery and then I look up the odds and become completely confused again.

Why do the Wiz have the best chance to pick 4th (35%)?

We have the 2nd best chance out of the ENTIRE league to place in the top 2, so we have the highest chance to pick #4. The lotto is only for picks 1-3. Teams can jump ahead of us in the lottery so we can drop down, a little bit. Basically no team besides us, Charlotte or Cleveland can pick 4th.

When your team was a constant punchline around the NBA for their brain-farts and stupidity, I do hold competing hard and accountability in high-regard. Wittman got the most out of this team in the John Wall era. No, it's not saying a lot, but it's something.

Also, how can you say Wittman is Ernie's puppet when his predecessor didn't have the guts to sit Blatche down when he was obviously ineffective? Wittman pulled no punches and things DID change when he took over. As a matter of fact, you can make an argument that John Wall had his finest stretch in his career (I think it was in Feb) playing for Wittman.

If you want to make a case for Ernie being the problem, then sure...I'm all for it. However, Wittman has done nothing in my eyes not to earn the right to coach this team next year - or potentially beyond (assuming he does well). Like I said before, OKC and Indy followed this blueprint with Brooks and Vogel and they seem to be doing OK.

We're still in the rebuild.

Good post. I agree of course

Like I said before, OKC and Indy followed this blueprint with Brooks and Vogel and they seem to be doing OK.

They didn't hire a proven failure. Brooks struggled his first season but he was given a long term window.

If this team wins less than 30 games under Wittman, he's out the door. If they do the same with a new coach, then he STILL gets time which is how it should be.

Simply put: there is a higher chance that Wittman is gone in two years than him getting an extension. There is absolutely zero reason to invest even a season in him. You either give him three years or you show him the door. But he won't be given a longer window. Ted has already come out and said that they'll be going for wins now.

Edited by No Excuses

However, under Wittman, the Wizards played a brand of competitive basketball that we haven't seen in 3 years or so. On top of it all, he actually held guys accountable for what they were doing (or not doing) on the court. This is what we've all been screaming for over the years.

Absolute nonsense! The entire sense of improvement comes from the last ten games of which we won eight. Take that away and this team is 12-44 (.214). Apply the same thing to last season where the wizards won 6 of their last 10 and you get 17-55 (.236). Don't fall for the teams version of the 7-day Dre. Also remember that after the trade the team was much better on paper. There isn't a soul that would argue that right now today, McGee is better than Nene as a starting NBA center. Not exactly a small upgrade either.

I also disagree with the notion that guys were being held accountable. He held a few guys on this team accountable and let John Wall do whatever the hell he wanted, which included sulking in the corner, not trying on defense, and otherwise being a ****ty leader. He did scream at Vesely a lot though and sometimes as Seraphin. He also gave young guys minutes over superior vets that they clearly hadn't earned in the name of development (because in DC learning on the job is what we think development means).

Wittman's offense was hard to watch and frankly if he does stay they need to get him an assistant that knows what an NBA offense is supposed to look like and can teach it.

How was his offense hard to watch? He was actually feeding it down low on the regular. When is the last time the Wizards fed the ball down low? And **** is a work in progress. Of course you're not going to fire Flip, hire Wittman, clap your hands and everything is going to be a thing of beauty. It takes time and I just don't see how you can deny that there was improvement, ESPECIALLY from the younger guys like Seraphin and Vesely and Booker. Stats don't always tell a story. If you watched the games, you saw the improvement.

And again, nobody is saying Wittman is the long term answer. Nobody is even remotely trying to argue that. Just that, as of now, he's not a bad option going into next year.

The most encouraging sign I saw out of this year's decent run to end the season was that the Basketball IQ was much higher than the past couple of years. If you keep adding smart, unselfish, team players, you are going to start winning games. Obviously you can't have everyone on a young roster fill those intangibles but it looked a lot better than Young, Blatche, and McGee ending the season strong, IMO.