Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Im convinced Wall's back gave out on him in that 4th quarter. He barely moved on defense and offense. Would not get on the ball either.

Beal was big late.

Really impressed with Vesely's hustle and energy. He could make a good career out of that.

I wasnt happy with Nene's comments, but he has played better since.

I really hope Wall's back is ok because when he was on, he looked incredible. THat 4th quarter scared me.

Is Maynor really this bad at running the point? 19-5 run against backups? Come on man. Wittman has to pull the plug on that much sooner.

yes, he is terrible

Wall's back had to have acted up in that 4th quarter, no other way to explain his absence. Two wins in a row fellas, lets hope we can keep the momentum rolling on Friday. Even more impressive when you consider that we're missing three key pieces due to injury. Once we get Ariza and Harrington back our second unit will look better. Obviously we're not going to beat a lot of teams when we have Jan and Booker as our two big men in the second unit. And hell maybe some day we'll actually get to see Otto Porter... 

I don't mind seeing Jan getting this playing time, if he's out there with some scorers he's a valuable energy guy who can create extra offensive possessions. Unfortunately due to the injuries we're just not very deep right now and really lack scorers on the second unit. Sure would be nice if Seraphin hadn't regressed terribly over the last season or two. 

Edited by the burgundy and gold

Wall hit the deck pretty hard after scoring on a layup in the 4th.  Maybe his back flared up. 

I'll never criticize Wall for his effort...his "lack" of trying to some of you may be directly tied into his back issues.  He's gutting it through this injury.  Like I said before, back problems are no joke. 

I didn't like the collapse, but I'll take the "W." 

I missed the end of the third and the entire 4th and reading these posts I'm glad I did. lol

The one thing I'm getting sick of is a Wall having more attempts than points. That garbage has to stop. I think that's the 6th time in 11 games he's managed that. I don't know what the PPS is for starting point guards but I imagine Wall is last or close to it after tonight. I can't be too upset after the wizards win a road game though, you have to enjoy those because they are rare.

The good news is the wizards only have 11 games in December. Guys will have a lot more time that month to rest and seek treatment and the reduced load will help the guys that didn't start the season in the greatest shape recover a bit.

Last thing: who would have predicted that Jan's key to earning minutes would be defense and rebounding when he was drafted? No one. He's changed his game and while he's not a starter, or even close to one, if he can keep it up he can make a career out of doing just that.

Edited by Destino

Wall with a stiff back and no movement>>>>>Temple>>>>>>>>>>>>Maynor

When he got poked in the eye a couple of games ago, quite few people on twitter said they would prefer a blind Wall to Maynor being in the game.

I'm trying to think of what they saw in Maynor, besides him being a "local product" from VCU, that made them sign him day 1 of free agency.

Buck never criticizes a player in uniform for the Wizards, but you can tell in his voice, he thinks Maynor sucks.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/11/18/5118730/meeting-with-tommy-sheppard

Prior to Saturday night's debacle against the Cavaliers, the Wizards invited folks who had been partial ticket plan holders last year to a "chalk talk" with Wizards VP Tommy Sheppard. The goal was to entice us to purchase new partial ticket plans this year -- which obviously no one in their right mind would do at this point because tickets are already much cheaper on the secondary market. I do not envy the Wizards sales team right now.

Anyways, while Mr. Sheppard didn't have too much insightful to say -- I thought he made some interesting points that the greater Wizards community might want to hear:

1.) Otto Porter

Estimated that Otto is probably two weeks away. Noted that Otto has been "shooting the heck out of the ball." Said Otto's hip has caused him a lot of pain and really limited his mobility. But insinuated that he is getting close.

Hey, I'm not afraid to give credit where credit is due (even if these two wins aren't against world beaters). I was able to check in a little on both of them, and the box score isn't lying, this much is a much more explosive team then last year. I was telling my dad it doesn't matter if they let someone score 60 in a half against them like the twolves did, but the wiz then held them to less the 40 in the second half.

Jan was fun to watch tonight, finally. And its awesome seeing us hovering around 30 assists a game consistently. And at some point, consistently beating teams by 20 plus points on the fast break is going to pay off. Defense is a lot about mentality, which this team needs to get back since they were a top 10 defense last year. If they can do that and still run people off the court, ya, its a playoff team.

I really hate it when players go public with their complaints like Nene did, but this time it looked like it worked, and we'll forget about if this team starts winning more games then they lose...

Edited by Renegade7

Yeah it's looking like Maynor is a bust. Giving him the BAE was questionable at the time. You could justify it after the fact if he ended up playing well.

I've been a fan of Maynor since he played at VCU. He was good in OKC before the knee injury. And when I listened to the OKC broadcast when we played them, their broadcast guys thought highly of him based on what he did there. There was a point when he was actually good. But he really can't do much any more.

A poster on RealGM pointed out that we could have simply kept Nate Wolters when we drafted him and then spent Maynor's money on DeJuan Blair. Looks like this is going to be one of Ernie's many smaller personnel mistakes that undermine our depth. Look at how many close games we're playing, how many we've lost. How many of those would be wins with better depth in the front court and a better backup PG?

- Good to see Jan playing well and earning a role in the rotation. We're a better team when he plays instead of Harrington and Seraphin.

- Nene has been a beast the past several games. Funneling more offense through him in the low post makes our offense far better. He's basically absorbed the shots that were going to Harrington and Ariza and we're a lot better because of it.

Nene's one handed no look entry pass for the Webster dunk was the prettiest play we've run all year.

- Speaking of Webster, it is absolutely clear to me we're a better team when he starts. Ariza's injury could be a blessing in disguise if Webster stays in the starting line up.

- Choking away the games against Philly, Cleveland, and OKC is haunting us. We're 5-6 if we win even one of those. Beating Cleveland on the road was a crucial win. We need to beat Toronto and New York too. Then we'll be 6-7 going into our next four games to close out November, which should be tougher. We need to be .500 by the end of the month.

.500 finish to November means we're on track to meet our goals for the season. This was a tough month.

.500 finish to November with Wall having a slow start would actually be a pretty big accomplishment for the team in retrospect.

• Like 3

Porter will be a step back from Ariza. If the wizards seem to have playoffs as a possibility I wouldn't expect to see Ariza traded. The second unit is bad enough with an inconsistent rookie in there. Porter would allow Ariza to get time at PF though and might improve the second unit (because Harrington is a folding chair on defense).

Remember Ernie is trying to save his job. I don't expect moves that aren't "win now"