Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This is the kind of attitude that FO actually seems to have and it's gotten us nowhere. Willingness to burn a #3 overall pick before he even plays a game.

I don't know what the solution is with Porter, but it isn't that.

this almost exactly not the attitude the FO has had. IF it did, we would have James Harden right now instead of Brad Beal.

If you have a chance to get one of those three, you take it. End of discussion. Otto Porter is not as talented as Wiggins, Parker, or Gordon out in Arizona.

Name me a coach and GM that wants the Wizards job.

Any of them not currently employed as a coach or GM.

The argument is silly: Who in the last twenty years wanted to be the GM of the Pittsburgh Pirates? The answer is every whiz kid with an excel spreadsheet and a dog-eared copy of some Bill James books. I imagine there are a number of dudes putting together Power Points for Darryl Morey or Sam Presti who would jump at the chance to run an NBA team.

And frankly, modern sports franchises are not created by GMs. They are created by the outside the box thinkers that the GM finds. To cross sports, the Pirates made the playoffs this year in large part because of the work of Dan Fox - who created the plan for the defensive shifts they used so effectively last year.

Ernie has been an executive for 20 years and has been in this job for 10. I don't know if he is in line with the direction the NBA is headed in terms of front offices, and it's not like he has any kind of record to point to in order to prove "My way works."

Outside of three or four places with huge built in advantages (Lakers, Heat, the Knicks if Dolan is tranquilized), all GM jobs in the NBA are pretty much the same. Every team is governed by the same salary and draft rules.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Ernie has been an executive for 20 years and has been in this job for 10. I don't know if he is in line with the direction the NBA is headed in terms of front offices, and it's not like he has any kind of record to point to in order to prove "My way works."

Ernie has been a puppet for Honest Abe and now Ted.

Ernie was allowed free reign to build the team one time, that is when Michael Jordan egg on face happened and Abe needed to field a competent team.  Ernie saved him from embarrassment.  Then Abe stepped in again and poisoned the well.

Ernie was allowed free reign to build the team one time, that is when Michael Jordan egg on face happened and Abe needed to field a competent team.  Ernie saved him from embarrassment.  Then Abe stepped in again and poisoned the well.

Gilbert Arenas flipped a coin and then flirted with being a top five player for a few years before his mind and body both betrayed him. That is Grunfeld's legacy of success.

He gets credit for that, of course, because he made the offer for Gilbert. But that's not something that really helps today.

I also think Ernie was more in line with the NBA ten years ago. But neither he nor Whitman seem to reflect where the league is now - nor do they seem to have a different vision. (In all honesty, I think the attack the basket and shoot corner threes strategy has reached its saturation point. It's time to move on to the next vision. In 2004, there were no more Kevin Youklises hiding in the minors. I don't think there are any more hidden Kawhi Leonards today).

What evidence is there that the personnel decisions are made by anyone other then Grunfeld?

http://www.wizardsxtra.com/2013/11/18/the-wizards-are-a-mess-and-everyone-deserves-the-blame

The 2-7 start already has people pointing fingers to assign the blame somewhere, whether it is media speculating about Randy Wittman losing his job, or players calling out other players.  So when does the coach start to take the heat? Another good question is who else is to blame?

The only real answer to that last question is EVERYBODY. Everyone is to blame. You can start at the top and go from there. The owner, then the GM, then the coaching staff, and then the players. Everybody has a hand in this thing. Why do we have to witness the same start to the season year after year? I will admit that I bought in this off-season, and yet here we are anyway, in the exact same position as we always are. 

FACT: The Wizards have gone 100-221 since Ted Leonsis took over as owner in the summer of 2009 (.312 winning percentage)

FACT: The Wizards have gone 315-498 since Ernie Grunfeld took over as GM in 2003 (.387 winning percentage)

FACT: Randy Wittman has gone 149-298 in 8 seasons as a coach in the NBA (.333 winning percentage)

FACT: The Wizards have gone 49-91 since Wittman took over as head coach in 2011 (.350 winning percentage)

Much more in the link, couldn't find much that I disagree with

What decisions do you think Ted made on his own against Ernie's better judgement?

If you listen to Ted, and the same goes for the hockey team, the formation of the teams has Ted's vision all over it.  You don't hire a GM, then tell the GM how he has to build the team to win.  Well you can, but you will get losing teams.

Ted is Honest Abe's twin...just Ted is better at selling tickets.

• Like 1

If you listen to Ted, and the same goes for the hockey team, the formation of the teams has Ted's vision all over it.  You don't hire a GM, then tell the GM how he has to build the team to win.  Well you can, but you will get losing teams.

Ted is Honest Abe's twin...just Ted is better at selling tickets.

Which of the two made these decisions:

- Draft Singleton, Vesely, and Seraphin

- Give Wall a max contract a year early

- Trade for Okafor and Ariza

- Trade for Gortat

- Draft Bradly Beal  

- Draft Otto Porter 

- Pay Webster the full mid level extension

- Sign Maynor on the first day of free agency. 

Can you tell me which of those moves were Ted and done against Grunfeld's better judgement?  You're implying that Ernie is an order taker and I don't buy it.  I don't know how much autonomy he's given and what he has to run buy the owner but I'd be willing to bet most of the things I listed either were his ideas in the first place or at the very least carried his stamp of approval.  Executives of his level aren't hired to simply nod their head.  

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/11/19/5123658/washington-wizards-players-only-meeting

It's like clockwork. Team has expectations, team struggles, team has players-only meeting. We're now at stage 3 with the Wizards, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post:

Veterans Trevor Ariza and Al Harrington are both sidelined with injuries and will miss the Washington Wizards' game against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday night at Verizon Center. But they don't want their teammates to lose focus of the task at hand as they seek to rebound from their underachieving 2-7 start. Before the team's morning shootaround, Ariza and Harrington organized a players-only meeting to discuss what needed to be done to turn around the season.

Players only meeting 9 games in, just how we imagined.

Kevin Love out here hitting step back 3's.

Our coach told him to stop shooting 3's when he was interim coach in Minnesota.

Look at how well Seraphin has turned out.  He's worse every year that he's allowed Randy's team to coach him.  

If Ricky Rubio lights up Wall scoring the basketball I never want to hear about his being a good defender ever again.  

Edited by Destino

Jan having the game of his life so far. 

^^^was just going to post complaining about Temple. We originally signed him to a 10 day contract out of the D League correct? Then not only extended the 10 day contract for the rest of the season but for the following year. Watching him have to take wide open jumpers is painful. 

Edited by the burgundy and gold