Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

it means he went straight to the league out of high school. No college at all.

what would that have to do with how articulate he is?

Martell Webster is 26

Does Randle have a back to the basket game? His highlights suggest he does but that's not possible. Its 2013 and he's a freshman and that means face up only. I haven't watched him play so I can't say.

his game is based on his back to the basket game. He is a bully.

The only question is if that bullying translates to the NBA level.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Does Randle have a back to the basket game? His highlights suggest he does but that's not possible. Its 2013 and he's a freshman and that means face up only. I haven't watched him play so I can't say.

Yeah he does. And he can face up and handle the ball too. And he can shoot. He's a dangerous, multi-faceted scorer with a ton of skills. But I heard he's an awful defender.

He's probably more talented than Parker but I feel like he's the most flawed of the big three guys because of the defense. Its going to be really interesting to see who goes #2 behind Wiggins.

Awesome slate of basketball games tonight. Arizona is starting up.

Julius Randle with 22 and 10 with 4 assists and 2 blocks.

Jabari Parker with 21 and 9 with 2 assists, a steal, and 6 blocks.

Marcus Smart with a monstrous 39 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 steals, and 2 blocks in a 20 point win over #11 Memphis.

Wiggins with just 13 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. He only took 9 shots. Bill Self's system limits the touches of perimeter scorers and Wiggins doesn't seem very concerned with his own numbers.

Joel Embiid shot 7-7 from the field for 16 points, 13 boards, and 2 blocks. That kid is enormous and just dominating people with pure size and athleticism.

The top of this draft class could be the best in NBA history if all of those kids declare.

Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, John Stockton...that's going to be pretty difficult to best, ever.

I was a little surprised when Wiggins announced he was going to Kansas. Thats not really a system that allows for one guy to shine, especially a one and done type like Wiggins.

he wanted to get closer to his older brother.

Wiggins is certified tho. As long as he doesnt get injured or play bad, he is at least top 2

Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, John Stockton...that's going to be pretty difficult to best, ever.

best group was the '96 class.

1996 wins on depth, 84 beats it in quality at the top. 1996 didn't have any busts until you get to Lorenzen Wright at 7. Plus there were 5 all stars from picks 13 to 20. Four HoFers and three league MVPs. 84 had busts like Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin. Plus Sam Perkins was definitely a disappointment considering his hype. Seven All Stars total, four Hofers, three league MVPs, and Jordan is a better headliner than Kobe.

Yeah its clear that Wall is at least playing hesitant, staying below the rim, settling for jumpers more than he should. Bet he's at least scared of something happening with his back and not playing with his usual abandon.

As the decision making with his shot selection seems to have worsened, the decision making with his passing has been a huge improvement. Pacing the offense a lot better, making all the right moves on the break, and he's piling up assists without turning it over. His defense was also good last night, lots of opportunistic take aways and rebounds that jump started the fast break.

The only complaint from last night is missing so many jumpers. Some of those were the right shot and he just didn't make it, but a lot were him just not really being patient and searching for the best shot. I did like that he had the balls to take and make that big jumper in crunch time. If we don't get that bucket, we probably don't win the game.

He had one of those textbook performances of how to make a big impact when your shot isn't going in.

I liked Beal's game too. Corey Brewer is a junk yard dog and he really got after Beal. Beal had to work his ass off for opportunities and he did a good job with his shot making. Those weren't easy points and the transition threes Wall set up for him were some of the only open looks he saw.

Nene also made a big impact. His low post scoring and his patience and his superb defense changes the outlook of the team. He's arguably our best all around player right now. Wondering how long his health is going to hold out.

Moral of the story is that when our top three guys play like they did last night, we can beat a good team like Minnesota.

Agreed, SM.  Also, kinda lost in the win last night was the fact that Wittman MAY have found a role for Ves.  If he can create a niche for himself as a 10-15 minute per-night energy guy, that would be a huge asset.  He was so active on both ends of the floor.  I liked seeing that. 

Agreed, SM. Also, kinda lost in the win last night was the fact that Wittman MAY have found a role for Ves. If he can create a niche for himself as a 10-15 minute per-night energy guy, that would be a huge asset. He was so active on both ends of the floor. I liked seeing that.

He and Seraphin will be splitting time in the dog house. When Ves has a bad game he'll sit until Seraphin screws up. Ves certainly earned more playing time but I wish Randy would take the leash off of him. The reason he plays scared is because he knows that one bad night means we don't see him for a while. There were a few dunks he passed up last night because he's so concerned with getting the ball to other players.

Wall's back is bad. There was a play last night where he was all alone and I was thinking "dunk" but he jumped and just flipped it over the front of the rim. He's turned into a below the rim player and he's rarely elevating around the rim and into contact. The only explanation I can think of is his back. I've had a back injury is it certainly impacts all sudden (I'm not describing anything I do as explosive) movements.

Agreed, SM.  Also, kinda lost in the win last night was the fact that Wittman MAY have found a role for Ves.  If he can create a niche for himself as a 10-15 minute per-night energy guy, that would be a huge asset.  He was so active on both ends of the floor.  I liked seeing that.

Yeah he actually used Ves as a stopper and put him on Kevin Love on those crucial final possessions. Love had problems with his length.

Putting length on him is what looks like the way to defend Love. He's going to get his when he goes inside and he's going to get offensive rebounds. But you can at least take away his perimeter game where he can just torch a normal big man. I'd rather him have to work his butt off to make twos than shell me from three.

Vesely is a match up player at this point because of his lack of bulk and versatility. You can use him against teams with perimeter oriented bigs. But not against bullying inside players.

He actually looks useful now though. Seraphin's game falling apart means we need Ves to play a lot more.

He and Seraphin will be splitting time in the dog house. When Ves has a bad game he'll sit until Seraphin screws up. Ves certainly earned more playing time but I wish Randy would take the leash off of him. The reason he plays scared is because he knows that one bad night means we don't see him for a while. There were a few dunks he passed up last night because he's so concerned with getting the ball to other players.

His hands didn't look great last night but he actually did a very nice job poking out offensive rebounds. That kind of energy contribution is about all we can expect from him offensively. He'll move the ball and he'll finish in transition. He's never going to be much of a scorer. But he was noticeably more aggressive last night, calling for the ball in transition, wanting to throw down alley oops. I think that's a good thing in general.

He's earn his keep with defense and rebounding. I agree with you, Wittman should let him off the chain and play him a solid 20+ minutes every game. Who else is there to go to right now anyway?

Yeah its clear that Wall is at least playing hesitant, staying below the rim, settling for jumpers more than he should. Bet he's at least scared of something happening with his back and not playing with his usual abandon.

As the decision making with his shot selection seems to have worsened, the decision making with his passing has been a huge improvement. Pacing the offense a lot better, making all the right moves on the break, and he's piling up assists without turning it over. His defense was also good last night, lots of opportunistic take aways and rebounds that jump started the fast break.

The only complaint from last night is missing so many jumpers. Some of those were the right shot and he just didn't make it, but a lot were him just not really being patient and searching for the best shot. I did like that he had the balls to take and make that big jumper in crunch time. If we don't get that bucket, we probably don't win the game.

He had one of those textbook performances of how to make a big impact when your shot isn't going in.

I liked Beal's game too. Corey Brewer is a junk yard dog and he really got after Beal. Beal had to work his ass off for opportunities and he did a good job with his shot making. Those weren't easy points and the transition threes Wall set up for him were some of the only open looks he saw.

Nene also made a big impact. His low post scoring and his patience and his superb defense changes the outlook of the team. He's arguably our best all around player right now. Wondering how long his health is going to hold out.

Moral of the story is that when our top three guys play like they did last night, we can beat a good team like Minnesota.

good post

this is what I was getting at about Wall also. His all around game looks elite now. He also pacing the game well. Its why I wasnt THAT upset by his performance against Cleveland. I saw Wall look good in other facets of the game, and he did control that game until the bench let the lead slip in the 4th, and not turning the ball over. He has improved on that A LOT this season.

I really believe his back is bothering him a lot more than he is letting on.

His hands didn't look great last night but he actually did a very nice job poking out offensive rebounds. That kind of energy contribution is about all we can expect from him offensively. He'll move the ball and he'll finish in transition. He's never going to be much of a scorer. But he was noticeably more aggressive last night, calling for the ball in transition, wanting to throw down alley oops. I think that's a good thing in general.

He's earn his keep with defense and rebounding. I agree with you, Wittman should let him off the chain and play him a solid 20+ minutes every game. Who else is there to go to right now anyway?

Confidence will come when he's worried about winning and not simply staying on the court. Wittmans staff has done a worse job developing Seraphin and Vesely than was done developing Blatche, and that's really saying something.

Ves is a 7 footer that moves like a SF and he showed it last night. Ask yourself how many 6'11 guys you've seen beat their point guard down the floor or fly out in front of passes along the perimeter and finish a fast break well ahead of everyone else on the floor. He should at the very least be developed into a defender and like you said earlier, he gets boards. He's probably a better rebounder than everyone on the team other than Gortat. He must have really worked on rebounding in the offseason.

I think Jan made the right call in NOT staying in the US and working with Randy's coaches. Ves improved tremendously and Seraphin who made the opposite decision has regressed every year as a result. The one area Ves has to improve if he wants to play in the NBA is foul shooting. That's on him because he can practice that year round.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see how Beal plays tonight. I would imagine games like tonight, the 2nd of a back to back on the road & after a home game, would be where you would see the effects of him playing so many minutes.

I hate losing to Cleveland, I really want this win.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1