Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The John Wall contract extension is both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, he ain't going anywhere for five years. So, you can do anything you want with the roster and not have to worry about pushing him out of town anytime soon. On the other hand, I'm sure he signed that contract thinking "We are a team on the rise." To be suddenly facing a rebuilding one year into that could push him into the "bitter superstar" zone. It's never good to have a bitter superstar. (For the record, I'm treating Wall as a superstar because what else can you do at this point?)

If you fire everyone and just rebuild, you need to do so with Wall's complete buy-in. (Unless you trade Wall - in which case, you are looking at a three year long-term thing in the best case scenario). Ted needs to sell him on the new GM and the new GM needs to sell him the plan.

I would think that Wall-Top 3 pick in a loaded draft-and a bunch of high IQ vets could be a pretty good team pretty quickly. And I think you could make some noise in the trade market if you dangled Beal. (Nothing against Beal, I just don't want that many young guys).

Anyway, this is probably a moot point. This team will somehow finish with the eighth pick in a draft where the first seven picks end up making all star games someday..

No matter what, you'd have to get Wall to buy in to the new direction or deal him. I think that's hard to do with players who are either in their prime or nearing it. Aldridge for instance. Rondo. Or even Kevin Love. I think you are best off keeping that guy, but it means you need to do a good job on the rebuild and see quick gains.

Wall is a pretty unselfish player though, and if he is willing to buy in to Randy Wittman, it makes me think that he's biddable and just desperately needs a good coach to follow. He's never really been out for his own numbers, I think you could pretty much get him to do any role so long as he thinks he can win.

I'm not sure I can get behind another three or four year minimum rebuild either. Would there even be any fan interest left if it came to that? The brand was finally just starting to get less toxic the past few months. A decade straight of 20 win seasons is as bad as it gets.

I don't think you deal Beal though. What return are you realistically going to get that'll be worth it? Wall will be 24 next season and going into his fifth year. That's only a year or two from entering his prime. He's not really going to be a young player any more. Beal will be going into his third year and, though he'll be young, he'll have already played a ton of minutes in the NBA. And he knows how to play pretty well for a 20 year old. You just take your lumps with him and the top 3 pick. It's the best of a bunch of bad options IMO.

Porter is the one I have no idea what to do with. We really have absolutely no idea what we've got in him.

The Curse O'Les Boulez

9 games in and we want to blow it up?

I am a pessimist but you have to give this group time to gel.

They've been gelling for two seasons now. Who besides Gortat is a new addition?

This is the same team as last year and they suck as bad as they did in the past.

They've been gelling for two seasons now. Who besides Gortat is a new addition?

This is the same team as last year and they suck as bad as they did in the past.

You have to walk before you run.  I don't see Lebron James walking through the door.

I think people expect too much.

I've given a Ernie and Randy more than enough time.

Ernie had a playoff contending team and everyone wanted him gone.

What bottom of the barrel NBA franchise turns itself around by hiring a coach and a GM?

Miami did it by signing Lebron.

Washington isn't so lucky.

You have to walk before you run.  I don't see Lebron James walking through the door.

I think people expect too much.

We are in year 4 of Ted's "rebuild"

We are still a joke. Respectability should have been a minimal expectation, but alas.

The fact that we still employ Wittman & Grunfeld isn't inspiring confidence moving forward.

We are in year 4 of Ted's "rebuild"

We are still a joke. Respectability should have been a minimal expectation, but alas.

The fact that we still employ Wittman & Grunfeld isn't inspiring confidence moving forward.

Name me a coach and GM that wants the Wizards job.

Name me a coach and GM that wants the Wizards job.

There are only 30 jobs for each position, if Ted can't find someone better than Grunfeld & Wittman, he isn't willing to look hard enough.

Money is powerful motivation, there is no cap on what Ted can spend on a Coach or GM, only his own limitations.

Denver's GM was coming off GM of the Year, Toronto made him an offer he couldn't refuse and Denver for some reason wouldn't match.

Edited by StillUnknown

And in under 10 games that has worked out how????????????

He just got there, you can't realistically expect his imprint on their roster to show this early.

If you want to draw conclusions after his first 10 games with Toronto feel free.

Grunfeld has a decade and he capped out at a team that was stuck in basketball purgatory, while fostering an embarrassing culture that aided and abetted clowns.

Edited by StillUnknown

He just got there, you can't realistically expect his imprint on their roster to show this early.

If you want to draw conclusions after his first 10 games with Toronto feel free.

Grunfeld has a decade and he capped out at a team that was stuck in basketball purgatory, while fostering an embarrassing culture that aided and abetted clowns.

Toronto is in the toilet like the Wizards.  They both suck.  If he can get them out of purgatory I would love to see it.  Grunfeld did more for the Wizards than any GM I can remember since they won a championship.  Who out did him??????????????????????

Toronto is in the toilet like the Wizards.  They both suck.  If he can get them out of purgatory I would love to see it.  Grunfeld did more for the Wizards than any GM I can remember since they won a championship.  Who out did him??????????????????????

Being better than others who were also terrible does not make Grunfeld a quality GM, or even a competent one.

Why should we accept someone who absolute ceiling is mediocrity? 

Edited by StillUnknown

Being better than others who were also terrible does not make Grunfeld a quality GM, or even a competent one.

Why should we accept someone who absolute ceiling is mediocrity? 

Walk before you can run.

You have to prove you are a legitimate franchise before anyone takes you seriously.

You want to take a franchise that is a joke and attract talent and coaching.  Walk before you run.

How about prove that you want to win and then attract talent and coaching.

We do the suck dance then wonder why nobody wants to come here.

Walk before you can run.

You have to prove you are a legitimate franchise before anyone takes you seriously.

You want to take a franchise that is a joke and attract talent and coaching.  Walk before you run.

How about prove that you want to win and then attract talent and coaching.

We do the suck dance then wonder why nobody wants to come here.

I don't disagree with this, I just think the first step in the process has to be removing Grunfeld.

I agree as well, but don't expect a top notch GM. We are a laughing stock. You have to prove you are serious before anyone takes you as serious.

Prove.... To a GM? They are the ones that engineer the turn around and Ted has only owned the team a short while. Ted only has to convince a GM that he'll let him run the team without interference and agree on a contract number.

I cant believe we are here talking about learning to walk 10 years into this EG run franchise.

I agree as well, but don't expect a top notch GM.  We are a laughing stock.  You have to prove you are serious before anyone takes you as serious.

The only person who needs to prove he is serious is Ted.

I've been thinking about the feasibility of rebuilding. My big question is what is a new FO going do with the current roster? What can they do? Who would they want to keep? What is their time frame for actually being able to legitimately compete?

I think we can safely assume that any new FO would get a lot of time and latitude from Ted.

The only thing I do know is that it's not working with this entire FO. We've gotten good players and they still aren't winning. What else is there to do?

This is what I see happening: we'll fire Wittman, find a mediocre replacement and see a modest bump in team performance. Maybe still eke out a late seed, and do it with a rag tag late season charge that gets Ernie a two year extension. Then another offseason where we take two steps forward and two steps back and another bad start next season, with bigs who are a year older, and it leaves us with the same questions as always.

If the FO is working on 2 year extensions that should be a clear signal they need to be fired and replaced.

Why wouldn't that firing of Wittman get Ernie gone too?