Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Hard to say via trade because we don't really know who is actually available.

What about someone on the Magic? They probably have surplus shooters.

I dont know his contract status or availibility (and this would piss off UMD fans LOL), but what about JJ Redick? I think he's one of the most underrated guys in the league.

I dont know his contract status or availibility (and this would piss off UMD fans LOL), but what about JJ Redick? I think he's one of the most underrated guys in the league.

I doubt they would want to give him up. As much as I disliked him in college, I am impressed with how his game has evolved.

I'm going to assume for a second our plans get ****ed and the Cavs trade up for Beal. If EG had at least a quarter of a brain, there isn't anyone else he should take but MKG. We can't fit a need so take the BPA available, who I believe MKG to be. We'll have to move someone for a SG who can actually play off ball with John. Emeka for Kevin Martin would be ideal since he expires after a year. If we can draft another SG with the 2nd pick, like D. Lamb or Barton, I'd be ok with that as our depth. Trade Ariza+ M. Williams.

Wall/JC

K. Mart/32nd pick

MKG/M. Williams/C. Singleton

Nene/Booker

Seraphin/Jan

The one useful thing about M. Williams is that he is actually big enough to play as a strech 4 as well if we choose to unload Booker for a different Big.

K Mart is ball dominant. Have to find a better option.

He seems more catch and shoot to me, and spot up 3s. Think about who he's played with. Dragic and Lowry have dominated the ball down there and he's reaped the benefits. My only issue with K. Mart is that he is a "meh" defender at best.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 04:37 PM ----------

Jan at the 5? Ouch. I agree that MKG should be the pick if beal is off the board.

Jan could play the 5 if he added 10-15 more lbs. It would be advantageous for us since it wouldn't really require him to become a 17ft jump shooter.

The more I think about it, the more I think that we are going to take MKG and Beal MIGHT be a smokescreen. That being said, EG will have to make a move to bring in some shooters. I'd explore some sort of deal w. Houston for Kevin Martin if we end up taking MKG.

I hope so. I was also thinking that this Barnes/Beal talk may be a smokescreen from EG.

Can't put all that on Barnes although he did struggle. And nobody ever mentions that Roy Williams system is'nt designed for a guy like Harrison to really get off. In the NBA he will have a more wide open, heavily spaced league that fits his strenghts much better. I think that to many people scream to draft certain guys based on college play and there not projecting them into the next level or looking at the overall big picture coaching,systems,teammates etc.

UNC had a great chance to win it all this year. Marshall going down killed them and any chance they had especially with his primary backup out as well, that little dude who took his spot was just awful.

The NBA is a pick&roll heavy league with lots of isolations. Barnes has proven that he is by far the best midrange shooter in this draft. He has also scored in isolations a ton his 2 dribble pullup and step back jumpers are NBA caliber. He has proven he can shoot off screens much more then Beal did this year. He is a good long defender with a NBA offensive game.

Roy Williams' system is the same system Dean Smith had. Vince Carter, Jordan, Stackhouse, even Forte got busy in that system. Barnes didnt because he has stiff movement.

The same system that Paul Pierce did his thing. That Keith Langford looked like a potential lottery pick.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

He seems more catch and shoot to me, and spot up 3s. Think about who he's played with. Dragic and Lowry have dominated the ball down there and he's reaped the benefits. My only issue with K. Mart is that he is a "meh" defender at best.
KMart's scoring and efficiency was actually down big time for the games he played this year, and that's been the case when he doesn't get the minutes and shots that he's accustomed to. Look at his shot totals too. He shot 1,000 jumpers in 2010-2011 and has consistently shot 15+ FGA per game throughout his career. He needs the ball a lot. On top of that, the breakdown of his jumpers shows that only ~60% of his makes were assisted on those thousand jumpers. 50% is Durant territory. 80-90% is true catch and shooter territory.

He's not a pure catch and shooter. He's a dribble pull up guy that does a lot of creating off his dribble. I don't think he's that great a fit.

Jan could play the 5 if he added 10-15 more lbs. It would be advantageous for us since it wouldn't really require him to become a 17ft jump shooter.

Jan's base is too slender for that to be realistic. He's already getting mauled by PFs as is. He can't keep players out of their spots and he'll get pushed out of his.

The only way Jan is going to make himself a truly useful offensive player is to learn to shoot.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

Ernie doesn't really smokescreen though. Every analyst in the world had us drafting Vesely weeks before the draft.

I think both Ernie and Ted shoot very straight. I don't think we're locking into Beal at all. We'll go BPA probably, which means we could take MKG over Beal, or take Drummond. I believe him when he says this pick is not expected to be a contributor this season.

Roy Williams' system is the same system Dean Smith had. Vince Carter, Jordan, Stackhouse, even Forte got busy in that system. Barnes didnt because he has stiff movement.

The same system that Paul Pierce did his thing. That Keith Langford looked like a potential lottery pick.

Its not the same system because he learned under Dean you just assume it was. Roy did run alot of the same sets with Pierce though. I believe even one of the draft sites wrote about Roys system being Pg and Bigman dominant.

People can knock Barnes all they want but this thread will be on here and hopefully we bump it up for next year.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 11:00 PM ----------

Getting ready for Caps draft right now hopefully we get a nasty center but this draft is defense heavy.

I think both Ernie and Ted shoot very straight. I don't think we're locking into Beal at all. We'll go BPA probably, which means we could take MKG over Beal, or take Drummond. I believe him when he says this pick is not expected to be a contributor this season.

Our offensive sets will be some kind of ugly if we go MKG or Drummond.

People can knock Barnes all they want but this thread will be on here and hopefully we bump it up for next year.

People will change their tune on Barnes if he's the one we draft. Most of us will suddenly like him then.

I prefer Beal and MKG to Barnes if we're going wing. That's about me liking them a lot, not disliking Barnes. I'd be ok if Barnes is the pick.

The only things that bother me about Barnes are his urgency in his game and the fact he somewhat underachieved at UNC for his expectations. The underachievement thing could just be something that happened at UNC and not be a factor in the NBA, I don't know. Or it could be a function of not having as good a motor/BBall IQ as people though.

But the complaints about his play speed are there. He's got a slow release and he really gathers himself when he runs. He's strong and has pretty good length but I don't see that same kind of quickness and tenacity when he defends that I see form MKG and Beal.

But Barnes has one huge advantage over MKG in that he can already shoot and contribute offensively for us as a rookie. Its such a need now. That could seriously tip the scale in his favor. We need to balance out our offense and our roster. It's important to start winning next season.

I could see Barnes winning ROTY if he goes to Cleveland. He could get big minutes there and they'd use him well. I could see him scoring 17-20 PPG as a rookie.

I'm alot like Bilas on Beal listening to him last night on the NBA channel draft special. I have Lamb ranked #1 like he does and Beal #2 but I'm not as down on him as he is, he had him ranked #4. I just did'nt see alot of NBA type scoring out of Beal. Beal scored on alot of spotup wide open jumpers. You very rarely saw him beat someone 1 on 1. I think he is getting overrated bigtime right now but he looks likely to be our pick.

Compared with Lamb. Lamb faced double teams and shot a ton of 3's off the dribble. Lots of ISO's and beating people off the dribble, lots of screens. His ability to setup defenders off of screens and dribble is the best in this draft by a mile. He also has a absolutely lightening quick crossover. The defenses were designed to stop him unlike Beal.

Barnes and Lambs game especially offensively is well suited to NBA play.

And I absolutely love MKG I have all year but with the cast of misfits dumbfeld has put together its just a horrible fit. If we could swing a trade for a pure shooter maybe Okafor for Ben Gordon i'd be on board.

If we trade for #6 and #11 and ended up with Barnes and Lamb lookout.

Edited by Samuels

Just for ****s and giggles I started an NBA 2k12 association mode with a fixed position fantasy draft. This is the team I came up with:

- John Wall, Eric Maynor

- Ray Allen, Willie Green, Gary Neal

- Grant Hill, Cartier Martin

- Ersan Ilyasova, Antwan Jamison

- DeMarcus Cousins, Kevin Seraphin, Omar Asik

Everyone aside from Wall can shoot and Ilyasova and Cousins can rebound. It's terrific. Rebound, kick it to Wall, kick it to wing, transition 3. Rinse, repeat. Shooting over 50% from three through the first several games and Wall is averaging 17 APG and my backup PG is averaging 8 APG and I'm averaging like 115 points per game so far. The best part is that team is completely horrible defensively--but it doesn't matter. Your skill on the sticks basically determines how good of defense you can play.

Random thought...I have zero hope in Jan Vesely to even be in the league in 3 years. Is that bad?

Why? He improved quite a bit in the last half of the year.

His worst case scenario at this point is a guy who plays 10-20 minutes a night as a high energy back up.

I'm completely opposed to drafting Barnes, but I acknowledge that on paper he has a bunch of NBA-ready skills. He could have a big impact as a rookie. I'm really more concerned with him in Year 3 just because I don't really see him enjoying the grind of a long NBA season on a bad team. The guy didn't seem to be into playing at Carolina. How is he going to deal with playing on a team ten games under .500 that has a trip to Minneapolis in February.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2012 at 08:21 AM ----------

Random thought...I have zero hope in Jan Vesely to even be in the league in 3 years. Is that bad?

I have some thought there. He's a skinny big man with an extraordinarily limited offensive game. If he were American, I could see him hanging around for 6 or 7 years, because teams always need bigs to fill out the roster. But he will have some options in Europe that might make more sense for him down the road.