Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

MKG has Wade's rage in attacking the basket. You can't teach that sudden burst of aggression. They don't look similar or have the same skillet but when they decide to get to the rim, stopping them is going to hurt. Beal doesn't have that and Barnes isn't on that planet. Barnes has a little Rashard Lewis, in the good years, to him.

Beal could be OJ Mayo with better defense. That's not a bad player and I think Mayo is underrated because he's struggle with the 6th man role.

One difference between Beal and Eric Gordon is their legs. Look at Gordon's legs--they are very thick and powerful. He gets into the paint and gets to the line just fine despite his height because he's so strong in his base. Beal is much more of a tapered build with very broad shoulders and a lean but chiseled frame.

He could probably add a significant amount of weight if he wanted.

All in all, I like Beal and think he has more potential than most people seem to think. He's always been one of the best players at every level he's competed at. He knows how to play and if you were drawing up the perfect two guard to pair with Wall, you'd pretty much come up with Beal. The fit is tremendous. I really hope he's the pick next Thursday. If not him, then MKG. If not him, then Drummond I suppose.

---------- Post added June-21st-2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

MKG has Wade's rage in attacking the basket. You can't teach that sudden burst of aggression. They don't look similar or have the same skillet but when they decide to get to the rim, stopping them is going to hurt. Beal doesn't have that and Barnes isn't on that planet. Barnes has a little Rashard Lewis, in the good years, to him.

Beal could be OJ Mayo with better defense. That's not a bad player and I think Mayo is underrated because he's struggle with the 6th man role.

Beal is a more physical player than Mayo. He really gets into the thick of things, especially on defense and on the glass. That's going to be a big separation between him and Mayo and makes Beal the better prospect.

You don't ever have to take Beal out for any situation. He's not taking anything off the table for you at the starting SG spot.

I also think Beal is going to be a more efficient offensive player because he's so good with his shot selection and discipline for a 19 year old.

Good point about Beal being a complete player. I think if he balances his body out (I think he's very top heavy) he could be very good both way. If he doesn't his strength won't matter as he won't be able to keep his hips in front of better SGs in the NBA. It helps that the NBA doesn't have too many great SGs at the moment.

I still think that Drummond has more supstar potential than anyone not sporting a unibrow. But not for 4-5 years :)

Good point about Beal being a complete player. I think if he balances his body out (I think he's very top heavy) he could be very good both way. If he doesn't his strength won't matter as he won't be able to keep his hips in front of better SGs in the NBA. It helps that the NBA doesn't have too many great SGs at the moment.

I still think that Drummond has more supstar potential than anyone not sporting a unibrow. But not for 4-5 years :)

Yeah. Maybe he has even more potential than the brow. The difference in their strength level is gigantic. But then again, so is the difference in their skill level.

You watch Drummond and his blend of speed and power is breath taking. If he sticks around long enough, there will be a point where he is the most physically dominant player in the game.

I'd be OK with Drummond I suppose. We'd have to accept that he will get almost no PT for his first two seasons and would be brought along very slowly. But the potential payout is huge.

That said, I'm for drafting Beal. It's a natural fit that fills a need and he's got a chance to contribute early. One more thing I like about Beal vis a vis Barnes is the speed of their release. Barnes is sooooo slow on his release sometimes. He's big and gets space for himself when he shoots most of the time, but I think his slow release will limit him in catch and shoot situations compared to Beal. Beal gets his shot off quick.

From Sam Amick (SI) via. hoops rumors:

The Cavs are likely to approach the Bobcats about swapping the second and fourth picks, Amick reports. The Cavs are infatuated with Beal, and he probably won't get past the Wizards at No. 3, Amick says, adding that if Beal is gone by the time the Wizards pick, Washington will go with Kidd-Gilchrist.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/06/amick-on-bobcats-cavs-kings-blazers.html

To play a scenario say We do trade 3 for 6 and 11 (don't know if EG is still pursuing this)

Who do we pick?

6 would be 1 of Barnes, Beal or Drummond (barring a surprise)

11, depending on who we get would seem to have Ross/Lamb/Harkless/PJ3/Jones lot of options

If they do make the trade (which would be really risky) I think the best scenerio would be Barnes and Ross, but that would take a considerable amount of luck

To play a scenario say We do trade 3 for 6 and 11 (don't know if EG is still pursuing this)

Who do we pick?

6 would be 1 of Barnes, Beal or Drummond (barring a surprise)

11, depending on who we get would seem to have Ross/Lamb/Harkless/PJ3/Jones lot of options

If they do make the trade (which would be really risky) I think the best scenerio would be Barnes and Ross, but that would take a considerable amount of luck

Rivers at 6 and Meyers Leonard at 11. Rivers adds scoring punch and Leonard can develop behind the new front court.

did you see Rivers' workout video with the Wizards? He cant shoot, lol

Yea I would really like Ross at 11, he has great size for a SG and he is talented with a great outside shot.

The key would be that number 6 pick I mean say Barnes fell to 6, that would be a potential great draft.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 12:55 AM ----------

I think Beal is the pick though, he is a very solid bet to be good yet has a lot of potential at the same time.

Wall

Beal

Ariza

Nene

Okefor

Mack/Crawford/Vesely/Booker/Seraphin off the bench

Singleton and Blatche in the mix (For now Blatche has to amnestied)

That is really good, and remember it will be Wall's, Booker's, Crawford's and Seraphin's 3rd year. Vesely, Singleton, and Mack's 2nd year. Still a lot for the future

Me not watching any college basketball this past year and just reading what people are saying about these players (and youtube), I would at this point prefer Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. He just seems to have the drive that this team desperately need. I won't be upset with any pick we make though.

Wall / Mack

Beal / Crawford

Ariza / Singleton / Vesely

Nene / Booker

Okafor / Seraphin

I think the active roster is 13 players this upcoming season. Martin / Mason / J Singleton / 2nd rounder?

That roster is shooter deficient so I'd imagine they'd round out the roster with some shooting options. Plenty of defense and length in the front court though.

It will be interesting to see what other moves are done. I have a concern that they want to get rid of Blatche bad enough to do something stupid. Right now they have to amnesty him and Ted wants no part of that. I will say this the team no longer looks like a d-league training squad.

Edited by Destino

Me not watching any college basketball this past year and just reading what people are saying about these players (and youtube), I would at this point prefer Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. He just seems to have the drive that this team desperately need. I won't be upset with any pick we make though.

Interesting. Because MKG is a guy that doesn't really show up well outside of the context of games IMO.

MKG was my favorite pre-trade. Post-trade, I think Ariza makes it harder to justify taking him for now.

We really need some shooting and Beal fills that need much better than MKG.

Ultimately though, the draft is for the long term. Ariza will probably be gone in two years and MKG would hopefully spend his career here.

If Beal goes second, I'd love MKG at three.

Right now, my board is probably at:

1.) Beal

2.) MKG

3.) Drummond

4.) TRob

5.) Barnes

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 07:10 AM ----------

Be cool if Sullinger started slipping in the draft because of those back problems or whatever.

I'd buy a first rounder to take him. If you get MKG or Beal at three and then pick up Sully, that's a good draft night. Plus take another shooter at the high second rounder like Hollis Thompson. I like that class a lot.

Sully would stretch the floor for us and provide a source of interior scoring plus solve some of our rebounding problems.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 07:31 AM ----------

We'll never beat the Heat or Bulls or Thunder unless John Wall makes a megaleap like Derrick Rose did in his third season.

How do you stop LeBron James or Kevin Durant? How do you beat two players who are impossibly good already (and they keep getting better)?

The only way is for John to make a giant leap and begin to approach their level.

That and to play exquisite team ball. You're not beating LeBron James or Kevin Durant, those two will go down as the greatest players of their generation. You have to beat players 2-12 on that roster instead.

I think Beal or MKG go a long way towards reaching that goal of playing tremendous team ball. First rate glue players who bring a ton to the table in terms of making a team greater than the sum of its parts. MKG has so much Pippen in him, maybe better leadership skills honestly. I couldn't really expect to find a better second banana than him or Beal.

I think our pick has to be one of those two.

@stevekylerNBA

Also told that prior to making the deal with New Orleans... Washington and Portland talked extensively about swapping 3 for 6 and 11

This is frightening. Why would you trade a blue chip like the third pick in the draft?

If we draft Beal, the lineups could be pretty easy to scheme up with the roster as is:

Point: John for at least 36 MPG, primarily spelled by Crawford and Mack.

2 guard: Start Beal out with at least 30 MPG, primarily spelled by Crawford when we need creativity and scoring, Ariza when we need length and defense.

Wing: Plan on divying time evenly between Ariza and Vesely here, Singleton comes in and spells when either Vesely plays PF or we need more shooting.

PF: Start Nene here, rotate in Okafor to stretch the floor a bit with his faceup game (or when you need a rebounder), rotate Vesely when you need speed, Booker when you need rebounding.

C: Star Seraphin here when you need post defense and low post scoring. Spell him with Okafor primarily, Booker and Nene factor in too.

Booker might actually be too good as a fourth man for your front court for a roster that's unbalanced and lacks shooters. Singleton might already be redundant behind Ariza and Vesely. Might have to deal both of them to make room for shooters. That said, it's tough to already give up on a young forward who can play both spots that has the potential to effectively guard 4 positions one day.

If you draft MKG, moves will have to be made to bring in veteran shooters. We'll be too loaded at the three:

Point: again Wall spelled by Crawford and Mack

2G: star Ariza here until something better comes along. Brings defense but not scoring to the 2. In the meantime, he'll give our back court defensive integrity while Wall and MKG learn to become good defenders. Spell him with Crawford for scoring and energy.

SF: Start MKG here IMO. He'll probably earn the job outright. Back him up with Ariza and Vesely. Deal Singleton.

PF: Same as before

C: Same as bfore.

Either way, the lineups should be terrific defensively and we can offset our lack of perimeter scoring with a surprisingly good interior offense out of our bigs.

Be nice to get a true stretch four and a shooting wing too.

did you see Rivers' workout video with the Wizards? He cant shoot, lol

I only watched Rivers in games even though I hate Duke. I prefer to go on game video as a whole than any private workout. Rivers, while flawed like everyone else, hit clutch shots and has the pedigree to be a smart, talented NBA player.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

Not a fan of Rivers. Too selfish. Seems like a real dick of a teammate. Leonard doesn't add up to his parts IMO. Rather have Sullinger than him,

I'd be happy with Sullinger too. I just figured Meyers since he wouldn't be getting much playing time right away anyways.

This is frightening. Why would you trade a blue chip like the third pick in the draft?

cause Drummond might still be around at 6 and he probable has the highest up side of anybody in this draft... you could also still get a good outside shooter at 11 too.

cause Drummond might still be around at 6 and he probable has the highest up side of anybody in this draft... you could also still get a good outside shooter at 11 too.

Ernie Grunfeld has no business drafting for upside anymore, this team needs a star now. MKG/Beal/TRob, leave Drummond to a team that can afford to take that chance.

Either because you think one of Beal, MKG, Drummond, and Barnes will still be available at 6 or because your scouts aren't predicting they'll be star players.