Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

More and more rumors are starting to pop up about Cleveland moving up to #2 for Beal.

If this happens, it highlights another flaw in that trade. It was something that could have probably waited until draft day.

It'd be a disappointment if the Cavs leapfrogged us for Beal, but ultimately I don't think it happens. Step back for a moment, and it's hard to fathom a 6'4 14 PPG SG that doesn't create offense off his dribble regularly going second overall. Particularly in a class with a 7 footer like Andre Drummond.

Even if Cleveland does leapfrog us, we should just take MKG or TRob or Drummond. Or even Barnes. We'll be alright either way.

---------- Post added June-24th-2012 at 01:04 PM ----------

Because Collion does about a half dozen important things pretty well.

The same isn't true of Vesely? Or won't be true in a year or two?

After much internal debate I'm sticking with the following.

TRob can rebound and no skill translates as directly to the nba as defensive rebounding. How many teams need a high energy (higher than MKG) rebounding big that can run the floor?

Drummond is a potential franchise changer and his floor is a faster Perkins. The comparisons to Kwame and Blatche are absurd.

Beal is OJ Mayo. The more I study him the clearer it becomes. We could have signed Mayo because the grizz don't want him. He's a upgrade but not a franchise changing player or even a true star.

MKG is a player that has to learn to shoot and that amounts to a low hanging steel plate for a ceiling in most cases. His locker room presence and aggression however give him a chance of becoming Wallace or Iggy and thats good (not great).

Barnes is a scoring wing that for some reason remind me of the entire Denver nuggets team. Good not great scoring and average everything else.

So:

Davis

TRob

- space -

Drummond

MKG

Barnes

Beal

I hope the Cavs do jump up and grab Beal. TRob works for me... Even if the trade creates a jam at PF.

Edited by Destino

If the plan is to let the rookie sit on the bench this year and give minutes to veterans, then MKG should be the pick. High upside without character issues. Make him shoot hundreds of jumpers every day and work on his horrendous shooting motion.

Beal is the easy pick because we don't have to do anything else if we draft him.

Draft TRob or MKG and you have to deal someone. Maybe true even if you draft Barnes or Drummond.

Who should be dealt? Nene isn't going anywhere. Seraphin shouldn't be dealt unless something awesome is coming back in return. Vesely should probably be kept too. Okafor will be tough to deal. So will Ariza probably.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder what things would have been like if we'd kept that 5th pick in 2009. I guess we would have taken Rubio. Or what if we'd have taken Steph Curry? What if Jonas Valanciunas had made it to us in last year's draft?

We'd be sitting prettier today if we had Wall, Curry, and Valanciunas as our core.

I'd just take MKG and be done with it. Or if I had more faith in the FO, I'd take Drummond. Wouldn't be seeing him for years though.

If the plan is to let the rookie sit on the bench this year and give minutes to veterans, then MKG should be the pick. High upside without character issues. Make him shoot hundreds of jumpers every day and work on his horrendous shooting motion.

I'd still be in favor of drafting MKG and letting him develop. We're talking about Ariza and Okafur who probably won't be here in two years. If we think that MKG can be a gamechanging SF, then those guys don't matter too much. And like I said earlier, it just creates a situation where we have to trade somebody in that logjam at defensive minded SFs who can't shoot. I can easily see us doing that before the trade deadline, especially if somebody is performing well enough to incite trade rumors.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder what things would have been like if we'd kept that 5th pick in 2009. I guess we would have taken Rubio. Or what if we'd have taken Steph Curry? What if Jonas Valanciunas had made it to us in last year's draft?

We'd be sitting prettier today if we had Wall, Curry, and Valanciunas as our core.

I'd just take MKG and be done with it. Or if I had more faith in the FO, I'd take Drummond. Wouldn't be seeing him for years though.

If we would've drafted Curry, we probably wouldn't have won the lottery and landed Wall.

I read this morning that Rivers and MKG are coming back in for 2nd workouts. Maybe there thinking #6 and #11 I dunno but someone in the top 6 will be right there either Beal,Barnes,TRob,Drummond or MKG. Thats the move i'd make if its on the table #3+#32 it would probably take for #6+#11 but i'd do it without hesitation. Your are locked into getting a top 6 player and another nice piece at #11.

I read this morning that Rivers and MKG are coming back in for 2nd workouts. Maybe there thinking #6 and #11 I dunno but someone in the top 6 will be right there either Beal,Barnes,TRob,Drummond or MKG. Thats the move i'd make if its on the table #3+#32 it would probably take for #6+#11 but i'd do it without hesitation. Your are locked into getting a top 6 player and another nice piece at #11.

Yeah but we'd have to take the last available of the top six and might not get our choice. Then again, we might also get the guy we were planning on taking at three anyway.

-- If we're moving down with Portland, the only player I could conceive of them moving up for is Drummond.

-- Beal's floor is probably four to Cleveland.

-- MKG or TRob would go to Charlotte most likely, either at second or four.

-- Who does Sacramento take at five? Seems almost certain they're choosing from Barnes, Robinson, and MKG.

I think Charlotte takes TRob over MKG. Then I could see Sacramento favoring Barnes over MKG because they've already got Tyreke, Jimmer, Isiah, and Thornton. Those are ball dominant players. Seems like they'd be better going for a more complementary offensive player like Barnes. Then again, they could use MKG's defense.

But if TRob is on the table, I wonder if they'd prefer him? Both him and Cousins are rebounders, not really defenders. Cousins is also probably a PF at heart.

But these teams could also go BPA over need, and if that's the case, Barnes would be the one left over at six IMO.

Either way, if we move down to six, you can bet we'd be choosing between Barnes, MKG, and Robinson. That's not bad at all.

Who do we target at eleven? I'd go Sully or maybe Zeller if MKG or Barnes was the pick at 6. If T Rob was the pick, maybe you take Lamb or Rivers if they are available. Rivers worries me though. Got some definite knucklehead in him. He was also a very ordinary player as a freshman. A 16 PER isn't good for a guy who brings nothing to the table defensively.

I saw someone make mention of this in the comments section on BF. I can't find a link anywhere confirming it. Is it true?

Barnes/ or MKG and Lamb at #11 i'd do backflips. I'd double up on wings preferably that can score or shoot.

It looks like maybe Cleveland is smoke screening about moving to #2 for Beal. I think they really want Kyries buddy Barnes. Its been noted they had Barnes ranked as the #2 overall prospect last year as well.

If we traded with Portland it will go

1-Davis

2-TRob

3-Drummond

4- Barnes

5- MKG

6- Beal

Sactown will go MKG over Beal because of Tyreke.

If i'm wrong and Cleveland really wants Beal and moves to #2 then it will go.

1-Davis

2-Beal CLEV

3-Drummond

4- TRob CHAR

5- MKG/BARNES

6- MKG/BARNES

I think its a lock at #6 we'd end up with one of Barnes, Beal or MKG.

Edited by Samuels

What would the purpose of Cleveland smokescreening us about moving up to 2nd be though Samuels?

We won't trade up to #2 and we know Davis is going first. What would them saying they'll move up to two accomplish? Try to get us to move down from 3 before draft day?

If not, it'd be pretty clear on draft day it was just a smokescreen when Charlotte picks at 2. Then nothing has changed for us, since we apparently favor Beal over Barnes anyway.

Or maybe the smokescreen isn't targeted at us? But if that's the case, I can't imagine who they're trying to fool. Charlotte themselves would know whether it's a smokescreen or not because they'd of course know whether Cleveland has approached them and made a serious offer.

---------- Post added June-24th-2012 at 05:13 PM ----------

Maybe it's a smokescreen to keep us from moving down and make us sit at three and take Beal?

If they don't like Beal and secretly liked MKG, maybe they'd want to make us nervous enough that Beal will go at four to keep us from moving down? Maybe this is because they've got something secret going on with Portland in a #4 for #6 swap and don't want us to beat their offer or gum everything up by taking Drummond at 3.

I don't know. I don't think it makes a ton of sense for Cleveland to try and smoke screen us in that way. What does it achieve tactically?

We should just ignore this rumor because it doesn't really effect our draft plans. We either stay put at three and get the man we like or move down to 6 and get a man we probably like anyway. Those seem like our only options no matter what happens everywhere else.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

What would the purpose of Cleveland smokescreening us about moving up to 2nd be though Samuels?

We won't trade up to #2 and we know Davis is going first. What would them saying they'll move up to two accomplish? Try to get us to move down from 3 before draft day?

If not, it'd be pretty clear on draft day it was just a smokescreen when Charlotte picks at 2. Then nothing has changed for us, since we apparently favor Beal over Barnes anyway.

Or maybe the smokescreen isn't targeted at us? But if that's the case, I can't imagine who they're trying to fool. Charlotte themselves would know whether it's a smokescreen or not because they'd of course know whether Cleveland has approached them and made a serious offer.

I was told we are split on Beal and Barnes. They have Barnes ranked higher but Beal fills the biggest hole. And that its not a forgone conclusion that either will be the pick though. I told my buddy well damn that tells me alot.

Not sure there smokescreening or not but I think they want Barnes pretty bad.

Are we sure it's coming from Cleveland? Reporters from Cleveland might be the sources pushing it nationally but they could be hearing it from other front offices. If Oenone wants to stop teams trading up for Barnes or increase the interest in Beal so someone lose falls it could make sense.

MKG at 6 and Ross at 11 would be a dream for me.

THIS. Our 1-3 spot would be completely set in such a scenario. Ross needs to hit the weight room but he has tons of athletic talent and a solid jumper. After Beal I see him becoming the best SG from this class. If it was Barnes and Rivers I would honestly consider crying. Rivers especially, he only gets the attention he does cause of his pedigree, nothing about his game or stats make me believe he is lottery worthy.

I read some forums on some cavs boards, most cavs fan oppose any scenario for trading up. A good portion of them actually think Barnes is a better prospect than Beal. I guess my perception on reality would be skewed if I lived in Cleveland as well. I see it going like this right now:

Davis

T-Rob

Beal

Barnes

MKG (Sacromento needs a tough minded swingman)

Drummond

Anyone see the sequences of tweets from Blatche?

What a mess. The guy has completely lost his confidence. Dude can't handle the hate, he's cooked. At this point amnesty clause would be a mercy killing. Blatche needs to go to a small market and get his mind right in anonymity. He's no longer psychologically fit to play here.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 08:50 AM ----------

It's actually pretty sad now. He's not angry or defiant about the negativity, he's self loathing. Blatche was never fit for what that contract entailed.

Oh and it doesn't look like he's getting amnestied yet. Supposedly the cap gains from doing so roughly equal the MLE so we don't actually gain anything from it this summer. But goddamn if it wouldn't be best for everyone if he were playing somewhere else next year.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 08:56 AM ----------

The talk of Harrison Barnes potentially playing some 2 for us strikes me as one of the most absurd "throw some **** against the wall..." bits of predraft misinformation we've gotten this year.

Can someone cut and paste? I am blocked from twitter at work.

From Truth About It: http://www.truthaboutit.net/2012/06/sharebullets-judging-sprite-dunkers-trade-links-andray-blatches-tweets.html#more-21833

Andray Blatche and Twitter…

Late into the June 20 night and into the next day, Andray Blatche took to Twitter. He started with a simple: “Lol love it or hate it I’m here forever lol.”

Blatche then curiously responded to the tweets of several people, many of whom — in a sense, being “trolled” by Blatche — responded with disparaging remarks. Andray played the role of “good sport,” it seems — if, in fact, the person typing the Tweets was him; his account is verified FWIW.

The most classic interaction came courtesy of the captain and the WizzNutzz. I observed and retweeted select interactions; they are pasted below.

@drayblatche

Lol love it or hate it I’m here forever lol

@wzzntzz: in D.C. or u achieve invincibilty in Dungeons & Dragons? RT@drayblatche: Lol love it or hate it I’m here forever lol

@drayblatche: @wzzntzz in D.C I’ll never leave yal

@wzzntzz: This tweet like a halfsmoke: promise & threat!!! RT @drayblatche:@wzzntzz in D.C I’ll never leave yal

@drayblatche: @wzzntzz is mines a promise lol

@wzzntzz: Can we come workout with u? U teach we jumpers, we teach u krav maga RT @drayblatche: @wzzntzz is mines a promise lol

@drayblatche: @wzzntzz I’m with it let’s do it

@wzzntzz: Sweet. U people gonna get w/ we people, or should we just meet u @ Verizon in 3 hours? Rt : @wzzntzz I’m with it let’s do it

@wzzntzz: Mr. @drayblatche, we can run 20 minute mile, bench Earl Boykins & choke chickens with both hands.

@wzzntzz: Dr. @drayblatche!!! Don’t go to the light!! Reach out 2 we hands, we’ll save u!!!! Lets do goblet squats ‘N SYNC!!!!

@wzzntzz: Wzzntzz + @drayblatche, synchronous goblet squats for London Olympics 2012. Ass 2 da ground 4 PEACE.

@wzzntzz: .@drayblatche, doth hath foresaken we c’est soir. Packd up we leg warmers & jazzercise tapes, await ur workout invite 4another nite

@TheyCallMeAzul: If by “forever” you mean “until draft day” RT @drayblatche: Lol love it or hate it I’m here forever lol

@drayblatche: @TheyCallMeAzul wat u wanna bet

@drayblatche: @TheyCallMeAzul let’s be surprised together

@TheRockwell: @drayblatche how you feel about being the JaMarcus Russell….that stuck around?

@drayblatche: @TheRockwell not sure who that is but I feel great

‏@jccchen87: @drayblatche where’s here?

@drayblatche: @jccchen87 wizards baby

‏@Mic_Nas89: wait does anyone know who was a worse draft pick: Kwame brown, Ryan leaf, Greg oden or @drayblatche

@drayblatche: @Mic_Nas89 that’s easy fool me duh lol

@PhotoShootGriff: i hate you @drayblatche

@drayblatche: @PhotoShootGriff sometimes I hate me to

@TheeSouthside: @drayblatche u still sexin prostitutes bro?

@drayblatche: @TheeSouthside na never really did talked to one lol

@Woody__26: @drayblatche how’d you feel everytime you shot the ball you got boo’d regardless of the result?

@drayblatche: @Woody__26 before weak now don’t really matter I’m here forever so deal with it

@nog_lip: @drayblatche if you really want to speak out, how do you feel about your teammates?

@drayblatche: @nog_lip truth b told LOVE them like my brothers especially ernie grunfield he’s always been behind me

@StacieJaay: @drayblatche do you plan to retire from basketball as a Wizard?

@drayblatche: @StacieJaay wat and u know it

@StacieJaay: @drayblatche okay. I figured you wanted a trade/to be released. Whatever happens, I just want to see the Wizards win.

@drayblatche: @StacieJaay trust me traded released watever ill always b a wizards

Anyone see the sequences of tweets from Blatche?

What a mess. The guy has completely lost his confidence. Dude can't handle the hate, he's cooked. At this point amnesty clause would be a mercy killing. Blatche needs to go to a small market and get his mind right in anonymity. He's no longer psychologically fit to play here.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 08:50 AM ----------

It's actually pretty sad now. He's not angry or defiant about the negativity, he's self loathing. Blatche was never fit for what that contract entailed.

Oh and it doesn't look like he's getting amnestied yet. Supposedly the cap gains from doing so roughly equal the MLE so we don't actually gain anything from it this summer. But goddamn if it wouldn't be best for everyone if he were playing somewhere else next year.

---------- Post added June-25th-2012 at 08:56 AM ----------

The talk of Harrison Barnes potentially playing some 2 for us strikes me as one of the most absurd "throw some **** against the wall..." bits of predraft misinformation we've gotten this year.

I think they would run Ariza at the 2 and let Barnes play the 3, neither option playing the 2 excites me.

As far as Baltche, he blocked me on twitter a long time ago, I'm operating under the assumption he's back next season until he's actually gone. Based on those Grunfeld quotes after the trade, I don't see Ted paying a player to simply go away. Unless we find a GM dumber than Ted to take him off our hands, we're stuck with him.

Baltche has always been Ernie's pet project, I don't see him throwing in the towel just yet. Easiest call in the world, and EG makes it seem like rocket science.

Edited by StillUnknown

Am I crazy to think that Beal is a much better scorer than he showed at Florida, and that he's been getting credit for?

I keep reading all these blips about him dropping like 40 in games here and there, and I'm wondering how is he doing it? That doesn't jibe with the low key spot shooter and transition finisher he looked like at Florida.

I'm willing to accept that he's a significantly better scorer than I anticipated. Torn between him and MKG. I'd take them over TRob.

I'm also coming back around to the idea of drafting Drummond. I think sitting behind Okafor and Nene for a couple years could be one of the best possible outcomes for him to develop. If we just accept that we're not going to get anything out of that pick for a while, then he would be a worthwhile project to take on.