Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Honestly, I think his form has looked good all year. I think it's just him getting confidence. And the big difference I can notice is when he's releasing. Last year it seemed like he would hang in the air for a second and then release it as he started coming down. Now it looks like he's releasing it still going up/at the peak of his jump.

Imagine Anthony Davis to John Wall, this team can turn around pretty quickly if you get a star in place in about 2 seasons, look at what the Clippers did, from 1st overall pick to Contenders in a year because free agents want to go there. JaVale McGee has all the talent in the world, he is an athletic freak and blocks 3 balls per game, he is just so unaware, not even like stupid, just absent minded which leads to mistakes, which usually adds to Wall's turnover count. I don't think he will turn into an aware high basketball IQ player ever, I think this is what you get, a talented player who is athletically gifted but is just not the smartest dude when it comes to basketball. I'm not saying he is stupid or like retarded or anything, he just needs to put more focus into his game, I too have trouble focusing on things too so I can understand.

And the worse part about McGee is that he doesn't get that he doesn't get it. He thinks he's an all star because of the 3 blocks per game and highlight reel dunks. But he's such a liability on defense that its irritating.

Oh, and Lin isn't overrated. he's getting hype because he has a nice story and has been producing lately, plus its NY. But nobody's putting him in the class of top tier point guards or anything. He's just been putting up impressive numbers lately.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 07:59 AM ----------

Honestly, I think his form has looked good all year. I think it's just him getting confidence. And the big difference I can notice is when he's releasing. Last year it seemed like he would hang in the air for a second and then release it as he started coming down. Now it looks like he's releasing it still going up/at the peak of his jump.

You talking about Wall's jumper, right? I've got to be honest and say that I haven't been paying much attention to it other than to notice that he was playing a bit like Rondo where he didn't want to take a shot for anything and then he had some games where he was like 2/14. Lately I've been impressed. Its like he's really taking what teams are giving to him. Sometimes its the drive to the lane, sometimes its the open jumper, sometimes its the dish to Booker or Young. This is the kind of growth I want to see from him. I just wish we had some more efficient guys around him.

I'm convinced almost anyone can learn how to be a decent shooter. Wall's jumper was bad but it didn't have **** on Kidd when Kidd came out of Cal. He was HORRIBLE. Hell I'm not even sure he took a jumpshot while in college (he was so fun to watch though, goddamn). But yeah, now he drains 3's with ease. Wall's a worker. He'll get there. No doubt in my mind.

I turned it off when Lin dunked and everybody backed up. Pathetic team.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 11:15 AM ----------

Getting Boozer who excels at the pick and roll is bad because, well, we suck at the pick and roll. But the trade would make sense from a financial standpoint.

Edited by pjfootballer

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/2/9/2786303/knicks-vs-wizards-quotes-randy-wittman-jeremy-lin#storyjump

Maurice Evans

On lessons the Wizards can take from Lin's play: "That's encouraging for us. I was talking to John about this. If we can take a page out of their playbook and use the same play, John is probably the fastest PG in this league with the ball, and he has the ability to attack the rim the same as Jeremy Lin. People will go under pick and rolls the same as they do with Jeremy Lin, and we can space the floor because we have shooters just like they do. There's some lessons to be had."

:ols::ols::ols:

Right, delusional much!

Seriously though, had Amare and Carmello been playing the score would've been much worse.

actually we might have won. Amare and Melo together are very bad for that team. They are both super selfish and need the ball in their hands to be effective. Scoring is the only thing either of them are good at. Neither one of them is a good defender, passer, or rebounder.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

Well...we do have shooters. Our guys take the shots, but that does not necessarily mean that they go in. :)

+1

you guys remember pecherov? Buck used to always say: Oleski Pecherov never saw a shot he didn't like ....get buckets son!

actually we might have won. Amare and Melo together are very bad for that team. They are both super selfish and need the ball in their hands to be effective. Scoring is the only thing either of them are good at. Neither one of them is a good defender, passer, or rebounder.

---------- Post added February-9th-2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

+1

you guys remember pecherov? Buck used to always say: Oleski Pecherov never saw a shot he didn't like ....get buckets son!

I expect Lin to come to earth when Melo gets back because Melo will want to control possessions. I actually think Lin would be better without Melo but with Stoudemire.

Seriously though, had Amare and Carmello been playing the score would've been much worse.

I actually think it would've been much closer. The floor was WIDE open last night. Why do you think that bum Novak had so many uncontested threes (and by uncontested, I mean he literally had no defender even attempting to close out on him or challenge the shot)? Lin was able to play as a true point guard, as he facilitated great ball movement, thus leading to open shots. When Melo is on the floor and he gets the ball, there is absolutely no movement. For all of his talent (and he is an unbelievable offensive player), he is a black hole like Nick. If he was on the floor then there wouldn't have been great spacing.

IF Lin is legit (and that's a big IF, at this point), the combination of Lin and Amare would be devastating. But Melo will never let Amare be the number 1 option, even on pick and rolls.

I actually think it would've been much closer. The floor was WIDE open last night. Why do you think that bum Novak had so many uncontested threes (and by uncontested, I mean he literally had no defender even attempting to close out on him or challenge the shot)? Lin was able to play as a true point guard, as he facilitated great ball movement, thus leading to open shots. When Melo is on the floor and he gets the ball, there is absolutely no movement. For all of his talent (and he is an unbelievable offensive player), he is a black hole like Nick. If he was on the floor then there wouldn't have been great spacing.

IF Lin is legit (and that's a big IF, at this point), the combination of Lin and Amare would be devastating. But Melo will never let Amare be the number 1 option, even on pick and rolls.

Well noted, good post.

Man.... just watched the Wiz miss 4 straight open 3's. We need some high percentage shooters badly.

Wall found about 5 or 6 teammates for open shots in the first, and they missed.

I don't understand how players, guards in particular, can play basketball all their lives and still not know how to shoot. Even more perplexing is that Ernie has assembled most of them on one roster.

It hasn't though. Its inconsistent, he'll have a 1 good game with the hook shots for every 5 bad ones.

Well it depends on whether or not McGee has a free shot. If he is bodied on the shot, id say he misses it 50% of the time.

---------- Post added February-10th-2012 at 08:25 PM ----------

Eh.. see im perfectly ok with the way McGee is playing tonight. I dont care bout him playing defense. I want to see him dunking, getting offensive putbacks/rebounds, and not throwing up wild shots.

The refs are firmly implanted in Miami's ass tonight

Well it depends on whether or not McGee has a free shot. If he is bodied on the shot' date=' id say he misses it 50% of the time.

---------- Post added February-10th-2012 at 08:25 PM ----------

Eh.. see im perfectly ok with the way McGee is playing tonight. I dont care bout him playing defense. I want to see him dunking, getting offensive putbacks/rebounds, and not throwing up wild shots.

McGee is playing well tonight. I disagree with you on his defense though. Defense is going to determine whether or not we decide to pay him. He's never going to be a offensive force on the game with anything other than put backs & dunks. If his defense isn't good or improving, it makes little sense to keep him long term.

Edited by StillUnknown

The refs are firmly implanted in Miami's ass tonight

Yep this game is over. Cant defend without giving trips to the line, and cant shoot. Its over.

---------- Post added February-10th-2012 at 08:41 PM ----------

Hold the phone! Wall is making it interesting. haha.

---------- Post added February-10th-2012 at 08:58 PM ----------

They gotta get Wall back in there...

Wall had 7 turnovers and shooting percentage wasnt that great but that doesn't tell the story of the game, I thought well did well he consistantly broke down the defence and got too the basketball for a lay up even though he missed the shot he pulled the center out too defend him which left McGee for Multiple easy put backs.

I got to admit Booker has been playing well as of late. We are hurting bad at the SF position Vessely and Singleton gave us nothing. Also Nick Young needs too stop shooting so much he went 1 on 3 one time and other times the defense was in his grill and he still forces shots. Hes a big part of our offence we don't have many options he just needs too make much better decesions.

I hate the coach his rotations suck and he keeps his starters out too long, I can see McGee always needing a breether but you have too keep your most productive players in until the game gets undercontrol, it seems like everytime we went on a run and got close here comes a crazy rotation.

It hasn't though. Its inconsistent, he'll have a 1 good game with the hook shots for every 5 bad ones.

He added it but kept his shooting percentage over .500. Personally I think we have bigger problems at SF and SG. Ineffective and incredibly inefficient.

He added it but kept his shooting percentage over .500. Personally I think we have bigger problems at SF and SG. Ineffective and incredibly inefficient.

His shooting percentage is over 50% because he's shooting close to 70% at the rim. The hook which generally happens in the 3-9 range, he's shooting 35%. I agree that we have bigger issues than McGee. I'm still in favor of keeping him unless some team offers him a ridiculous deal (if he gets a deal for 10mil per from some team, I let him walk)

Right, delusional much!

Actually we probably would have won that game if they'd been playing. Carmelo has been one of the most spectacular ball stoppers in the league this year and Amare looks completely disinterested. I think the team hates playing with Carmelo.

Jeremy Lin never gets a chance to shine if Carmelo doesn't get hurt.

---------- Post added February-11th-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

Give us Anthony Davis and Bradley Beal and we'll have a serious Eastern conference contender in two or three years without any other major additions.

I would trade Nick Young to a late lottery team for their pick in a heartbeat and use that pick to move into range for Beal.

It'd probably keep us in Anthony Davis's range in the short term and clear out a minor offensive black hole that doesn't rebound or pass and plays mediocre defense for a smart shooting rebounder who makes sense for us. Booker and Davis is a quality forward combo that could cover for some of McGee's shortcomings while accenting his strengths. Singleton and Vesely still bring nothing to the table offensively--yet--but they'll play excellent defense and rebound and Singleton seems like he can develop into a 3 ball kick out option for Wall and Vesely can run the floor and finish... AK47esque potential.

Crawford probably needs to go too, I'm more comfortable with Mack running backup point long term than Crawford. I hate the shots he takes.

Oh and Blatche and Rashard absolutely have to go. I would trade Blatche for just about any expiring deal in the league and throw in something minor to sweeten the pot. Seraphin? Maybe.

Actually we probably would have won that game if they'd been playing. Carmelo has been one of the most spectacular ball stoppers in the league this year and Amare looks completely disinterested. I think the team hates playing with Carmelo.[

I agree, one of Melo and Anthony has to go ASAP.

Jeremy Lin never gets a chance to shine if Carmelo doesn't get hurt.

---------- Post added February-11th-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

Give us Anthony Davis and Bradley Beal and we'll have a serious Eastern conference contender in two or three years without any other major additions.

We need a C and maybe a SF. McGee is not the answer.

I would trade Nick Young to a late lottery team for their pick in a heartbeat and use that pick to move into range for Beal.

Nick Young is never going to get that kind of value back. Every player on this team has depressed value because of our bad team performance and the perception that they're making a young star (Wall) look bad. You'd be lucky if you got a late 1st for NY.

I think McGee has to go too (what does he do well exactly? He's a good rebounder, but he's 7'1 with Blake Griffin esque athleticism and Dwight Howard-esque length - he SHOULD be a good rebounder, a bad defender and an inefficient scorer, and this is after 3.5 years in the NBA!), and I actually see Ves as our PF of the future, and Davis or Drummond as our C of the future. I think Ves will develop a decent shot, he's already a great finisher, defender and passer, as well as a good offensive rebounder. He also has a Haywood-esque impact on the defensive glass in that he boxes out and creates boards for the team, even if his individual numbers aren't dominant.

If we don't land a top 2 pick, then I'd draft Kidd-Gilchrist and sign Harden in 2013 (no way New Orleans lets Gordon go even if he gets a max deal).