Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

They are a bunch of idiots, the junkies is awful now. Wall has the best raw skill set of any PG in the league right now. Put one legitimate NBA star next to him and watch.

yeah, but like I said earlier, Washington basketball fans are like Philly football fans - always wanting what they don't have and complaining about what they do have. Junkies are cool radio talk, but not really cool for sports talk in general. But they do a good job of waking me up and keeping me entertained in the morning and for that I support them (at least I can make it through a whole show with them. Chad Dukes is so annoying to me that I just have to turn that show off half the time. He seriously has anger management issues. He can't take fans who call in and have a legit point that disagrees with him. I remember when he was insulting any fan who said that RG3 was better than Luck, or that we shouldn't go after Manning. Dude is corny). Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do wish I could get more Wizards talk on the radio stations, Especially when the said station is the Official Station of the Washington Wizards.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 12:48 AM ----------

So many big buckets in the 4th when Portland made there push. McGee was moving well without the ball and created two of his own field goals when we needed them. Nick young was out of his mind leading a ridiculous night from the guards. Vesely got more minutes than I expected and looked good on defense and rebounds.

Great game.

I liked that he kept Vesely in there until he fouled out - Was that over Booker? I think Singleton was in there. Anyway, I was impressed.

Yeah, this town is such a Redskins town its annoying (I'm so freakin sick and tired of this Peyton Manning discussion). I really wish I could get more than 30 minutes of a 4 or 5 hour show dedicated to Wizards talk, especially when half of that is dedicated to Blake Griffin or Jeremy Lin or whoever else is going crazy right now.

I didn't know about WizOfAwes though. I need to add that one to my list.

Agreed. The DC radio media almost completely ignores the wizards. Most of them know almost nothing about basketball anyway though so it shouldn't be surprising. I wish John Thompson would talk more technically about wizards ball but with him you get things like "that boy just needs to decide if he wants to be a leader" and other similar one liners.

I don't know how much money it would take to get Batum, but he is exactly the type of SF we need on this team. This was a good culture win. Lets not lay a goose egg against the clips now...

Yea I hope the Wiz sign Batum and Goran Dragic, I think Dragic would be a great backup up for Wall

And in the Draft somehow land, Anthony Davis and Terrence Ross

oh and crap Blatche and Lewis away

Wall PG

Young/Crawford/Ross (You probably let young go or trade crawford, can't have all 3)

Batum

Davis

Mcgee

Be a fun lineup to watch

This would get me actually excited for next season

Agreed. The DC radio media almost completely ignores the wizards. Most of them know almost nothing about basketball anyway though so it shouldn't be surprising. I wish John Thompson would talk more technically about wizards ball but with him you get things like "that boy just needs to decide if he wants to be a leader" and other similar one liners.

And then the only real talk about the Wizards (especially on 1067) is about how much they suck or these conversations meant to make fans feel bad about the quality of the product - fire Erine, trade Wall, is Wall a bust, I hate Blatche, is Vesely a bust, etc.I mean at least with the Terps talk (which again is very little) we get some kind of balance, especially with this year and the questions about how we judge Turgeon. Maybe its just a part of the curse. But I've learned that when I want to talk Wizards, I go to online communities cause the radio doesn't do them justice.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 01:02 AM ----------

Yeah the constant Peyton talk has caused me to tune out the last week or so. I just found out about WizOfAwes, seems decent enough.

Yeah, I just change the channel. Its sad when I'd rather listen to NPR than Peyton Manning talk.

Wall Mack

??? Crawford

Batum Singleton

Booker Vesely

McGee ???

Assuming Young is gone his scoring must be replaced. Batum can do that but ideally you'd maintain a 17ppg SG or improve on it. The issue would then be who can back up McGee and who scores off the bench? I'd love to have draft picks NOT start and earn minutes instead. If we drafted a PF is Booker the odd man out? I don't see the Wizards having too large a rotation as the team continues to mature and the season isn't so compacted.

Wall Mack

Harden Crawford

Batum Singleton

Vesely Booker (for shot creation off the bench)

McGee ???

I'd be excited about that. Not a championship team but a good athletic team that can shoot. I doubt we get either Batum or Harden though.

Edited by Destino

haha.. its a typical NY line tonight however: 3 rb' date=' and 0 Assists in 40 minutes![/quote']

When he shoots like he did, who cares? I was critical of his one dimensional play last week, but I can't believe how well he's been shooting lately. We'll obviously keep winning if he keeps scoring 26+ PPG on 65+% shooting from the field even if he goes and sits down on the scorer's table when he doesn't have the ball. This is awesome.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 07:18 AM ----------

I agree with the Batum addition. Id also really like to have Harden. Either one would be great for this team.

I don't see any chance in the world that Harden comes here. If he has any sense' date=' he'll realize his golden opportunity is with the Thunder and never leave them. I think any NBA player would be bending over backwards to play for the Thunder. They're a potential [i']dynasty[/i].

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 07:54 AM ----------

Remember last season when Rashard got hurt and Blatche missed significant time and we started playing close to .500 ball? Feels like the same thing is happening. We're probably not getting even league average play from our forwards right now. But Blatche and Rashard had to be the worst starting forward tandem in the league. Going from that to only slightly below average and we can actually win a few.

Pro-McGee folks: whats your limit on resigning him? What's the number, $$/years, that you won't go past to bring him back?

I'd try and do a front loaded deal with McGee, even if I had to add a year or increase the per year dollar amount. We can afford a big contract now, but will be far more pressed when it's time to work out extensions for Wall, Vesely, Booker, etc. Plus you'll have our draft pick this year getting a decent sized contract so long as he's not a bust. Getting Rashard off our books and getting rid of Blatche are two moves that will probably happen next year. Turiaf is a one year deal. That's like 30+ million from this year's payroll gone.

We don't have anything to spend that money on right now. No other sizable names worth keeping aside from McGee and maybe Young and no chance of signing other tier one or tier two free agents.

If I could front load the deal, I would go up to 11 million per year for four or five years. He's better than DeAndre Jordan. If Jordan's contract is fair than 11 million a year is fair for McGee.

8 to 10 million a year for McGee would actually be a bargain. McGee has us in a tough spot because we essentially have no ability to replace him at Center. No viable internal replacement, can't lure a decent free agent, don't have the ammo to trade for a quality veteran one, and can't wait around on a drafted player to spend four or five years developing starting next November. Not if we want to win with John Wall at least.

That said, I don't think any of us know what the market for McGee is going to actually be like in the summer. I have no idea how many other teams will actually be interested in him. I won't get in a bidding war for him.

The past two games it feels like the Bullets are finally un-learning whatever they picked up from Flip. Maybe being held accountable + the right sub's at the right time have made a difference. This is still a bad team, but maybe not the worst in the league. Hats off to Randy.

Question is: Is Randy the coach going forward? I'm not convinced yet, but he's definitely got to have Ted's attention. He's like 5-7 as a coach here. Thats a game under .500. I thought that was unheard of under Flip.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 08:28 AM ----------

Remember last season when Rashard got hurt and Blatche missed significant time and we started playing close to .500 ball? Feels like the same thing is happening. We're probably not getting even league average play from our forwards right now. But Blatche and Rashard had to be the worst starting forward tandem in the league. Going from that to only slightly below average and we can actually win a few.

Randy's best decision has to be telling Blatche that he's injured.

Question is: Is Randy the coach going forward? I'm not convinced yet, but he's definitely got to have Ted's attention. He's like 5-7 as a coach here. Thats a game under .500. I thought that was unheard of under Flip.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 08:28 AM ----------

Randy's best decision has to be telling Blatche that he's injured.

that's actually two games under .500. ;)

I don't know if he's the guy going forward. I just think that Flip wasn't only the wrong guy for the job coaching very young and immature guys.....and he did some damage during his time here. It takes some damage control to get back on the right path and even if Randy hovers just under .500, its a huge jump from the runaway train that was Flip's tenure.

I don't know if he's the guy going forward. I just think that Flip wasn't only the wrong guy for the job coaching very young and immature guys.....and he did some damage during his time here. It takes some damage control to get back on the right path and even if Randy hovers just under .500, its a huge jump from the runaway train that was Flip's tenure.

He lost the team. That much was clear during the JaVale McGee benching for the backboard dunk.

He benched McGee to try and bend him to his will and it failed--the team obviously knew Flip was on borrowed time and no longer bought in to him. Benching McGee just ended up seeming petty and foolish and McGee's thinly veiled frustration and hostility was there for everyone to see.

I think Flip's biggest problems in the end were his awful lineups and rotations. There's no excuse for making Blatche a captain and playing him and Rashard so damn much.

I couldn't stay up to watch the whole game, but I did watch a bit of the first half (along with the end of the Mason game) and that is probably the best I've seen the Wizards play in 4 or 5 years. JaVale has been on a tear the past 4 games and John Wall is shooting 49% from the field in the month of February.

I've always liked Nick Batum and he sure did impress last night. He'd be a good guy to target as our starting SF next year.

another thought on Batum....I remember when Portland was inquiring about Brenden Haywood before we traded him to the Mavs....we asked for Batum back as part of the deal and that was a deal breaker for them.

Edited by Gator Bait

I couldn't stay up to watch the whole game, but I did watch a bit of the first half (along with the end of the Mason game) and that is probably the best I've seen the Wizards play in 4 or 5 years. JaVale has been on a tear the past 4 games and John Wall is shooting 49% from the field in the month of February.

I've always liked Nick Batum and he sure did impress last night. He'd be a good guy to target as our starting SF next year.

another thought on Batum....I remember when Portland was inquiring about Brenden Haywood before we traded him to the Mavs....we asked for Batum back as part of the deal and that was a deal breaker for them.

Batum does good doesn't he...

I meant to record the game last night but forgot to set it up. Had to celebrate V-tines with the lady ahead of the Blizzards :/

Does anyone know when they'll be airing the repeat on Comcast?

When he shoots like he did, who cares? I was critical of his one dimensional play last week, but I can't believe how well he's been shooting lately. We'll obviously keep winning if he keeps scoring 26+ PPG on 65+% shooting from the field even if he goes and sits down on the scorer's table when he doesn't have the ball. This is awesome.

Agree 110%....I wish Young was more well rounded just as much as anyone else, but if he even gives 20ppg at even 45% I'm happy. Last night he had 35pts at 70% shooting. I'm slamming my head on the table trying to figure out how in the world skin'emAlive could find a negative with his performance last night.

I don't see any chance in the world that Harden comes here. If he has any sense, he'll realize his golden opportunity is with the Thunder and never leave them. I think any NBA player would be bending over backwards to play for the Thunder. They're a potential

Harden is not going to be a free agent next year. OKC exercised their team option on him.

good article, thanks for posting. It would be nice if we could get something for Rashard Lewis' friendly contract buy out, but the only team I could possible see doing that is Philly with Iggy (if they thought they could be players in FA this year and improve their team)

good article, thanks for posting. It would be nice if we could get something for Rashard Lewis' friendly contract buy out, but the only team I could possible see doing that is Philly with Iggy (if they thought they could be players in FA this year and improve their team)

I thought it was well written. Couldn't really disagree with anything in it. There definitely is hope with this team, just need to start making the right moves.

Thats an interesting article, but its saying nothing new and its really coming from only one angle - Fire Ernie. I agree that he has made some bad decisions, but calling the guy the worse (or second worse) GM in the league isn't fair. He did put together a team that went to 4 straight playoff series. No they never won 50 games, but they did revitalize DC. Before the Caps were making the playoffs and getting tossed out, the wizards were doing that. And people were excited about Hibachi. And its not like we got swept (ala Webber led Wizards against the Bulls). We were in those series and thats why we thought we were only a few players away (ala Miller/Foye). In hindsight it didn't work, but that doesn't make him the worse. if anything, it makes him middle of the pact.

Plus, from what I understand (and I was not in the meeting rooms) resigning Gilbert was more Abe than Ernie. But thats another story. I can't really debate this point because i wasn't there. But since then, we deconstructed the team and have been rebuilding since. We don't have a great roster right now, but we do have some undeveloped talent to work with and like I said earlier in this thread. All I want this year is to see how that talent develops. People were praising Booker last year because of his hustle. Now he looks like a legit contributor. How many other players on this roster can make similar improvements? I hope Singleton (please get your O back) and Vesely can develop similarly.

Pretty accurate IMO, it echos most of whats been said previously throughout this thread. (although I somehow completely forgot about McGee losing his mind to get that triple-double :ols: )

Edited by StillUnknown

Good article. The only thing I really disagree on is Crawford. He's nothing but a chucker. If we can get good value out of him we should deal him.

Are there any good unrestrictred FAs this year besides Howard? Buying out Lewis and amnestying Blatche would give us loads of cap space.