Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The main thing i want in the lottery is a shooter with high basketball IQ, who can possibly take over a game. I think that's the definition of Harrison Barnes. And I think he's the perfect compliment to John Wall as well.

I completely agree. I want Wall, Barnes, Hi-Character Veteran, Cousins, and Mcgee as next years staring lineup.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Also, I agree with taking Drummond of the wishlist based on what we've seen so far. We can't deal with that kind of player no matter the upside. We need a competitive, high IQ player period, whether he can come in and take over a starting role early or not.

My wish list is something like that:

1.) Anthony Davis

2.) Michael Kidd Gilchrist

3.) Jared Sullinger

4.) Harrison Barnes

5.) Bradley Beal

6.) Thomas Robinson

7.) Austin Rivers

8.) Quincy Miller

9.) Jeremy Lamb

10.) Perry Jones

We've got to get a second high lotto pick.

We could take a huge step forward just by drafting a PF/Wing pair like Sully/Robinson and Beal/Rivers/Miller.

Swap Beal for Lamb and thats my exact top 6 right now.

The main thing i want in the lottery is a shooter with high basketball IQ, who can possibly take over a game. I think that's the definition of Harrison Barnes. And I think he's the perfect compliment to John Wall as well.

I've watched quite a bit of Carolina this year and Barnes scares me. He has argueably been the 3rd best player on his own team. But he is'nt playing but like 26mpg. He won't be a superstar I'd think best case he can be a Danny Granger type player. He will be a good 3rd option on a very good team. The problem I have is we need a guy that can take over a game be a legit superstar. A guy you can give the ball to in crunch time and he can create his own shot. I don't even think Barnes is averaging 1 apg. Wall did this last night but he is'nt that type of alpha scorer and needs a legit dominant running mate.

Thomas Robinson has been fantastic but he did'nt do nothing his 1st 2 years hardly got to play. I know he was behind the Morris twins but what have they done this year?

I like kids that come in and play well as a true freshman like Sullinger, Barnes,Lamb,MKG,Beal and Davis this year.

My pipedream would be to trade McGee+ whoever else they wanted or possibly up to 3 1st rounders for Howard. Put Howard with Wall and some shooters with a great coach that team could do damage.

Swap Beal for Lamb and thats my exact top 6 right now.
Lamb feels like a one trick pony to me and I think his build limits his upside a bit. Plus I feel like Uconn is massively underachieving and he's their best player. He needs to elevate his team to be elite IMO. Kemba did far more with less.

Beal does everything well and is a prototypical off guard who can be productive without the ball in his hands. He's a terrific shooter with an extremely high offensive IQ and he's an outstanding rebounder for a 2 guard and has a very strong build. I could see him being the steal of the draft. I'd take him over any other two in the class unless we're talking about playing MKG at the 2.

I've watched quite a bit of Carolina this year and Barnes scares me. He has argueably been the 3rd best player on his own team. But he is'nt playing but like 26mpg. He won't be a superstar I'd think best case he can be a Danny Granger type player. He will be a good 3rd option on a very good team. The problem I have is we need a guy that can take over a game be a legit superstar. A guy you can give the ball to in crunch time and he can create his own shot. I don't even think Barnes is averaging 1 apg. Wall did this last night but he is'nt that type of alpha scorer and needs a legit dominant running mate.

Thomas Robinson has been fantastic but he did'nt do nothing his 1st 2 years hardly got to play. I know he was behind the Morris twins but what have they done this year?

I like kids that come in and play well as a true freshman like Sullinger, Barnes,Lamb,MKG,Beal and Davis this year.

My pipedream would be to trade McGee+ whoever else they wanted or possibly up to 3 1st rounders for Howard. Put Howard with Wall and some shooters with a great coach that team could do damage.

Lamb is actually a sophomore. He really didn't do a whole lot as a Freshman until very late in the year.

Barnes hasn't lived up to his high school hype. Preseason All American his freshman season was ridiculously premature in hindsight. He's got a good IQ, projects to be a solid perimeter defender who rebounds fairly well and has a versatile offensive skill set but you're right, he's rarely dominant at the college level. Danny Granger is a fairly close projection but Barnes will never be as strong as Granger is. Too narrow of a build. I'd be OK with drafting Barnes but he wouldn't excite me. I think there's little chance he ends up being a bust but also little chance he ends up being a star. Luol Deng.

Re: Robinson, he's a junior but you can't kill him for not getting burn in a loaded Kansas program his first two years. It's the nature of the program. Their recruits sit and learn. What Robinson is doing now is impressive and he's got a steady, translatable game. He's one of the best players in the country and has a classic PF skillset. I doubt he's a star in the NBA, but in the right system, he's almost assuredly going to be a good player. We could seriously use his rebounding ability.

He and Sully are very close. Sully gets the nod for me for being a year younger and way bigger, but Robinson would be a nice consolation.

I don't think the Magic are going to trade Dwight Howard. I can't see them getting the right package in return to make it worth their while and I don't think they'd trade him to a division opponent for anything we could offer.

So wasn't this supposed to be a stacked draft? I feel like Derrick Williams from last year had a more complete and reliable game then everyone I've looked at this season. I wonder what impact the Euros will have on this class because you know some will crack the top 10.

I completely agree. I want Wall' date=' Barnes, Hi-Character Veteran, Cousins, and Mcgee as next years staring lineup.[/quote']

I'm dying laughing. Is the high character veteran to keep Cousins in line? I don't think it is possible. I don't want Cousins anywhere near this team. I will take your Veteran for my lottery pick though. Time for this team to get more experienced....we don't need another rookie that is going to take 3 years to develop.

Also, I agree with taking Drummond of the wishlist based on what we've seen so far. We can't deal with that kind of player no matter the upside. We need a competitive, high IQ player period, whether he can come in and take over a starting role early or not.

My wish list is something like that:

1.) Anthony Davis

2.) Michael Kidd Gilchrist

3.) Jared Sullinger

4.) Harrison Barnes

5.) Bradley Beal

6.) Thomas Robinson

7.) Austin Rivers

8.) Quincy Miller

9.) Jeremy Lamb

10.) Perry Jones

We've got to get a second high lotto pick.

We could take a huge step forward just by drafting a PF/Wing pair like Sully/Robinson and Beal/Rivers/Miller.

Lamb feels like a one trick pony to me and I think his build limits his upside a bit. Plus I feel like Uconn is massively underachieving and he's their best player. He needs to elevate his team to be elite IMO. Kemba did far more with less.

Beal does everything well and is a prototypical off guard who can be productive without the ball in his hands. He's a terrific shooter with an extremely high offensive IQ and he's an outstanding rebounder for a 2 guard and has a very strong build. I could see him being the steal of the draft. I'd take him over any other two in the class unless we're talking about playing MKG at the 2.

Lamb is actually a sophomore. He really didn't do a whole lot as a Freshman until very late in the year.

Barnes hasn't lived up to his high school hype. Preseason All American his freshman season was ridiculously premature in hindsight. He's got a good IQ, projects to be a solid perimeter defender who rebounds fairly well and has a versatile offensive skill set but you're right, he's rarely dominant at the college level. Danny Granger is a fairly close projection but Barnes will never be as strong as Granger is. Too narrow of a build. I'd be OK with drafting Barnes but he wouldn't excite me. I think there's little chance he ends up being a bust but also little chance he ends up being a star. Luol Deng.

Re: Robinson, he's a junior but you can't kill him for not getting burn in a loaded Kansas program his first two years. It's the nature of the program. Their recruits sit and learn. What Robinson is doing now is impressive and he's got a steady, translatable game. He's one of the best players in the country and has a classic PF skillset. I doubt he's a star in the NBA, but in the right system, he's almost assuredly going to be a good player. We could seriously use his rebounding ability.

He and Sully are very close. Sully gets the nod for me for being a year younger and way bigger, but Robinson would be a nice consolation.

I don't think the Magic are going to trade Dwight Howard. I can't see them getting the right package in return to make it worth their while and I don't think they'd trade him to a division opponent for anything we could offer.

Lamb played very well last year for a freshman and honestly hit some clutch shots for that team in the tourney without his defense and clutch shots they don't win it. Lamb is a coaches son just like Sully I love that because they understand how to play. Lamb has a good 3 ball and can create for himself off the dribble. He has legit 2 guard height with a 7-1 wingspan the guy can really lockdown on defense. He constantly moves without the ball and does'nt watch. He is really a complete 2 guard he can shoot,pass,rebound and plays defense.

If we let Young go we have to seriously consider him. My biggest knock on Lamb is his frame he will always be skinny but he plays with good strenght. And he has been alittle bit of a shot jacker this year.

MKG and Barnes are 3's they can't play 2 guard in the NBA. Barnes has a weak handle and don't distribute and can't laterally keep up on defense. MKG can guard either position but his outside shot needs work and his game is suited for the frontcourt.

I agree with Steve that Beal could be the steal of the draft. He is a perfect player for this team as well. I'm hoping another team covets whoever falls to us in (likely the top 5) and we can swap that pick with them for Beal and another starting caliber veteran...pipe dream I know.

Destino this draft is extremely deep, but it lacks a surefire superstar which is a bummer. We are still a superstar away from being a legit playoff team that could possibly contend in the future.

I'm dying laughing. Is the high character veteran to keep Cousins in line? I don't think it is possible. I don't want Cousins anywhere near this team. I will take your Veteran for my lottery pick though. Time for this team to get more experienced....we don't need another rookie that is going to take 3 years to develop.

Yea, it definitely has the ability to fail miserably however. lol. I wont deny that.

I agree with Steve that Beal could be the steal of the draft. He is a perfect player for this team as well. I'm hoping another team covets whoever falls to us in (likely the top 5) and we can swap that pick with them for Beal and another starting caliber veteran...pipe dream I know.

Destino this draft is extremely deep, but it lacks a surefire superstar which is a bummer. We are still a superstar away from being a legit playoff team that could possibly contend in the future.

I like Beal as well but he does'nt really have proto-typical 2 guard size. He also has more flaws in his game then somebody like Lamb defintely a lottery pick though. Lamb just creates offensively and defensively with that 7-1 wingspan is a nightmare. He shoots 48% fg and 35% 3's both his years in college which is damn good and consistent for a 2 guard.

Kentuckys Lamb is the darkhouse he is picking up steam and may move into the lottery as well. He has a sweet stroke and is just getting better everytime I watch them.

MKG put the brakes on Beal last night. Beal has some good plays but he struggled overall.

Tonight has 3 more really good games on espn/espn2

Edited by Samuels

You guys have to stop the Linsanity tonight, it's getting annoying.

Lin is going to score 30 and hand out 15 assists on the Wiz. While I was watching highlights of Lin play that's all I could think about. He runs the pick & roll so well and the Wiz defend it so bad. I really hope I'm wrong but that's the way I keep seeing it play out.

I like Beal as well but he does'nt really have proto-typical 2 guard size. He also has more flaws in his game then somebody like Lamb defintely a lottery pick though. Lamb just creates offensively and defensively with that 7-1 wingspan is a nightmare. He shoots 48% fg and 35% 3's both his years in college which is damn good and consistent for a 2 guard.

Kentuckys Lamb is the darkhouse he is picking up steam and may move into the lottery as well. He has a sweet stroke and is just getting better everytime I watch them.

MKG put the brakes on Beal last night. Beal has some good plays but he struggled overall.

Tonight has 3 more really good games on espn/espn2

I'm a big fan of Uconn Lamb, but I think he has been on the radar for almost a year now; Beal hasn't really been mentioned much as a top 10 pick, but I think he is definitely good enough to be one. I was worried about his size at first, but when you have 6'4 John Wall as your point guard, you can afford to have a small 2 guard (in my opinion). Typically when size is talked about with 2 guards, it is because of defensive ability. I think Wall has the ability, size, and athleticism to guard 2 guards. The question is Beal quick and athletic enough to guard PGs in the NBA?

We are probably the only team in the league that does an absolutely horrendous job of running the pick and roll. That's probably why we suck at defending it. How do you learn to defend something in practice that you can't run properly?

Melo and Stoudemire are both out (I think). We are sure to get blown out now.

Haywood was also gigantic. McGee has a weak base. His legs are skinny. He's never going to be a dominating post presence in an NBA where 260+ pounders roam the paint.

Why did we let Haywood go again? This is what we got in return for Haywood, Caron, and Stevenson: Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross, and James Singleton...

Then again we probably couldn't have kept Haywood anyway. Per wikipedia, he signed a 6 year 55 million dollar deal with them last season. Yikes. I'd rather pay McGee that kind of money than Haywood.

[/Quote]

Haywood's legs are some of the skinniest I've ever seen in comparison to his upper body

To answer your question about why we got rid of all those guys when we did: We were in full rebuilding mode. There is no place for a mediocre NBA center who is about to get a 60 million dollar pay day on a rebuilding squad. Also no room for a 30+ wing who has already seen the best of his career and also has a high salary. I really hated to see Caron go, but it was necessary for the rebuild. I don't think he would have wanted to be here for the rebuild anyway....was kind of a courtesy to trade him and Jamison...was best for both parties. We ended up dumping salary and getting a draft pick out of those trades and these guys go to play for contenders (Caron got a ring out of it)

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 12:55 PM ----------

We are probably the only team in the league that does an absolutely horrendous job of running the pick and roll. That's probably why we suck at defending it. How do you learn to defend something in practice that you can't run properly?

I think we are going to crush the Knicks. John Wall will have a triple Double tonight, Nick Young has 20+, and Booker gets double digit rebounds.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 12:55 PM ----------

I think we are going to crush the Knicks. John Wall will have a triple Double tonight, Nick Young has 20+, and Booker gets double digit rebounds.

Edited by Gator Bait

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 12:59 PM ----------

This Jeremy Lin Kid went for 25-7-5 and 28-8-2 the past two nights while shooting over 50% from the field. I might have to retract my previous statement...the Wizards have been getting killed by point guards all season; maybe it is Lin who will log the triple double .

Lin is 1/7 the past two nights from down town....John Should sag off him a bit and make him shoot from the outside.

---------- Post added February-8th-2012 at 01:15 PM ----------

A few interesting stats to look at since Randy Whittman took over for Flip Saunders:

Nick young is Averaging 21ppg @ 45% shooting, which is an improvement over his season average of 17ppg @ 41% shooting

John Wall has two games of 10 assists, under Flip he only recorded 1 game with 10 assists (he played about 4x as many games under flip) John has also shot 50% or better in each of his last three games (I didn't see the Toronto loss or the Magic loss, but I did see the Toronto win the other night and a bunch of those shots John made were mid-range jump shots....showing that it wasn't just layups skewing his fg% for that game. He looks to have improved his shot)

JaVale McGee's minutes have decreased and Seraphin and Bookers minutes have increased. Both Booker and Seraphin have taken advantage of the added minutes. Booker is shooting over 50% for the year, he is a very efficient player. I'm starting to think this guy may actually have starting potential on a good team and not just be a rotation guy.

What do you all think about this trade:

Chicago Trades Boozer to the Wizards for Nick Young and Andray Blatche

Why Chicago would do it: They can move Taj Gibson in the starting roll and get rid of Boozer's terrible contract; Boozer just hasn't lived up to the contract in Chicago (mainly because he is their third option when the team is healthy)

I think Blatche and Young could be very effective off the bench playing on a good team with some veteran leadership and a good coach.

Why Washington would do it: Nick Young will be a FA at the end of the season and we will probably have a mutual split. A RFA who signed their tender and didn't get a contract extension from their current team has never gone on to re-sign with said team the following year....I don't see any reason why history would change in this case. We all know that Blatche is out of here, whether it is via trade or he is amnestied at the beginning of next year. Blatche can definitely score and provide minutes as a big body off the bench and might even actually mature a bit if he was surrounded by good players and coaches who had already established a winning atmosphere.

Boozer would instantly become the #1 option for the Wizards in scoring and rebounding. I can see him going back to his 20-10 ways running the pick and roll with a pass first minded John Wall. We will have a ton of money in the offseason to bring players in, so if we can get a 20-10 guy (who scores efficiently) and rebounds....why not!

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that we recently moved and going through some old boxes, I found a bunch of pennants that I used when I was a boy.

I found 2 Bullets pennants

2 Redskins (1 Burgundy and one white)

1 Capitals (old style RW & B)

1 Maryland (Black with Yellow writing)

2 Orioles (1 has memorial stadium- the other is the 1962 team photo on it)

and get this....Washington Diplomats.

Blast from the past with the Bullets. I don't know why I had 2. But I hung them all up in my sports room.

What do you all think about this trade:

Chicago Trades Boozer to the Wizards for Nick Young and Andray Blatche

Why Chicago would do it: They can move Taj Gibson in the starting roll and get rid of Boozer's terrible contract; Boozer just hasn't lived up to the contract in Chicago (mainly because he is their third option when the team is healthy)

I think Blatche and Young could be very effective off the bench playing on a good team with some veteran leadership and a good coach.

Why Washington would do it: Nick Young will be a FA at the end of the season and we will probably have a mutual split. A RFA who signed their tender and didn't get a contract extension from their current team has never gone on to re-sign with said team the following year....I don't see any reason why history would change in this case. We all know that Blatche is out of here, whether it is via trade or he is amnestied at the beginning of next year. Blatche can definitely score and provide minutes as a big body off the bench and might even actually mature a bit if he was surrounded by good players and coaches who had already established a winning atmosphere.

Boozer would instantly become the #1 option for the Wizards in scoring and rebounding. I can see him going back to his 20-10 ways running the pick and roll with a pass first minded John Wall. We will have a ton of money in the offseason to bring players in, so if we can get a 20-10 guy (who scores efficiently) and rebounds....why not!

Throw in Chicago's 1st

Would Boozer be motivated to play here or would we be getting another Rashard Lewis? Boozer makes 15 million per year (same as Kevin Love's new deal) and frankly I don't think he's worth it. Having said that the idea of a good basketball player on the Wizards is exciting. Maybe he can teach McGee some lower body lifting work outs.

BTW - no way the Bulls agree to that.

Edited by Destino