Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That's right. He had a Hell of a game. It's nice to have a guy with a set of balls on this team. That's Booker.

Did anybody see that move where McGee ran by himself down court in the 4thQ to get back on D and we still had the ball? Man that guy has zero basketball IQ. And was that a Mo Evans siting I saw last night?

Wall said that the Raptors were talking **** about The Wiz in shootaround. Really? The Raptors? This is our houses ****es!

If Wall continues to his natural progression as PG, we will definitely have something special on our hands...

I love his fiestiness and competitive nature unlike the rest of the ******** on this team.

I love his fiestiness and competitive nature unlike the rest of the ******** on this team.

That's what I've been saying from the beginning. Why I've never been worried about Wall. Why the calls of him being a bust are literally the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever seen sports fans say. Wall's got that Jordan/Kobe/Brady fire. He's a winner and a leader. And he's got the natural ability to go with it. He's only 21, he's just going to get better.

So we all know, or should know, that role players are greatly impacted by the quality of their team. IMO, more so than stars that seem to get there's even if surrounded by a high school team. The question then becomes who do you keep from this team, assuming Ted and Ernie actually upgrade anything.

From the starters:

Wall, obviously.

McGee, because there just aren't any centers available to replace him.

Bench:

Booker. I think this guy is a keeper off the bench for a good team.

Mack. Quality back up point guard IMO.

There are others that you would keep on the basis of young and good potential but they aren't playing at a level right now that would get much burn on a decent team. Vesely and Singleton just can't contribute enough on the offensive end and aren't great NBA defenders yet. Crawford plays far too wild and he just doesn't have the scoring ability yet to take so many shots.

Must go:

Lewis. This guy, right now, is absolutely horrible.

Young. Score well but also let's teams back into games too often by taking bad shots quickly. Crawford seems to be learning from him.

Blatche. Shoots too much and doesn't try hard enough. Sports works as a meritocracy and when you give a guy dragging ass so many minutes to break the code.

For some reason yesterday Max Kellerman and Jalen Rose were on the LA ESPN affiliate and both of them declared their love for McGee. I think they were comparing Anthony Davis to him and talking about how the athletic center is the new position in the NBA... I nearly crashed my car to hear that on the radio.

Young will make a good sixth man, and even spot starter if we can improve the starting SF and PF position. I'd keep him, just because bench scoring is very valuable in the NBA and he would be good at it.

He's nothing more though and he's not getting the $9M contract he wanted.

Is McGee too tall to play the 4? I'd love to see us get a true 5 and move McGee to 4. He's athletic enough to guard alot of 4s and score on alot of 4s.

Power Forwards have to be able to knock down a shot to stop their defender from simply giving them space and taking away the basket. McGee has no shot at all and nothing resembling the offensive game needed by a PF to succeed in the NBA. He is a center or nothing at this point IMO.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

Young will make a good sixth man, and even spot starter if we can improve the starting SF and PF position. I'd keep him, just because bench scoring is very valuable in the NBA and he would be good at it.

He's nothing more though and he's not getting the $9M contract he wanted.

I just don't see him accepting a bench scoring role. If he did I agree with you. He'd be terrific providing bench scoring.

Power Forwards have to be able to knock down a shot to stop their defender from simply giving them space and taking away the basket. McGee has no shot at all and nothing resembling the offensive game needed by a PF to succeed in the NBA. He is a center or nothing at this point IMO.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

I just don't see him accepting a bench scoring role. If he did I agree with you. He'd be terrific providing bench scoring.

Both of these.

Vesely and Singleton just can't contribute enough on the offensive end and aren't great NBA defenders yet.

Well they are rookies...

In all seriousness though, I like both of them. Right now they are playing hard and that is all i can ask for with a team like this. Maybe we can bring in a coach and staff that can get them to add some skills with that effort.

Is McGee too tall to play the 4? I'd love to see us get a true 5 and move McGee to 4. He's athletic enough to guard alot of 4s and score on alot of 4s.

He doesn't score on anybody unless he's dunking.

I don't dislike McGee, I'm just not sure it will ever "click" for him. I would like to have him back just because there is a serious lack of people to play the position in the league. That does not mean I'm ready to pay the man far more than what he is worth.

Well they are rookies...

In all seriousness though, I like both of them. Right now they are playing hard and that is all i can ask for with a team like this. Maybe we can bring in a coach and staff that can get them to add some skills with that effort.

Teams have already adjusted to Vesely. They back him down in the post and he either gets cleared out or gets in foul trouble. He's got to adjust his game the rest of the season, and get alot bigger in the offseason.

Edited by StillUnknown

He doesn't score on anybody unless he's dunking.

I don't dislike McGee, I'm just not sure it will ever "click" for him. I would like to have him back just because there is a serious lack of people to play the position in the league. That does not mean I'm ready to pay the man far more than what he is worth.

He has a hook shot with his right hand that has been falling fairly well this season. He still travels when he tries to make an aggressive post move though.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 11:14 AM ----------

*McGee showing off his quicks*

Wall's reaction is priceless.

That's hilarious but I've seen a lot of ball players get confused at time on the court. Worse then his misplaced transition defense was that terrible shot he attempted before it.

Man, I can't see the video or gif here at work :(

Teams have already adjusted to Vesely. They back him down in the post and he either gets cleared out or gets in foul trouble. He's got to adjust his game the rest of the season, and get alot bigger in the offseason.

And I am okay with that. Like I said, they are rookies, they aren't going to come in and tare stuff up.

Man I really want to see that McGee confusion, I missed it last night. :doh:

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

After watching Andre Drummond in person last night, he seriously needs another year of college basketball and coaching.

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

But if scouts think he's going to be a top-10 pick, he probably goes. If so, he will be a project. Tremendous talent, but so much to learn.

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

Against an energized opponent he was half-stepping for the 16 mins UConn let him play before benching him. Effort level needs 50 % upgrade

Been reading that kind of critique more and more on Drummond, which basically takes him off wish list for the Wizards.

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

After watching Andre Drummond in person last night, he seriously needs another year of college basketball and coaching.

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

But if scouts think he's going to be a top-10 pick, he probably goes. If so, he will be a project. Tremendous talent, but so much to learn.

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

Against an energized opponent he was half-stepping for the 16 mins UConn let him play before benching him. Effort level needs 50 % upgrade

Been reading that kind of critique more and more on Drummond, which basically takes him off wish list for the Wizards.

Or fits in perfectly with the rest of the team. Ernie's gonna love this guy

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

@YahooForde

Pat Forde

Been saying that for a month he is lazy like a bigger Blatche.

Rebounding doesn't get you on sportscenter. :rolleyes:

We are in a really ****ty position with McGee. We can't let him walk because the other options are terrible but he is really not worth what he will get.

He's improved on a lot of things so hopefully rebounding is next on the list. You really can't have a center who is a ****ty rebounder, or at least if he doesn't rebound he knows how to box out. Haywood was a great example of this. He was a mediocre rebounder, but our rebounding with him on the floor was always good because he could box out very well.

Haywood was also gigantic. McGee has a weak base. His legs are skinny. He's never going to be a dominating post presence in an NBA where 260+ pounders roam the paint.

Why did we let Haywood go again? This is what we got in return for Haywood, Caron, and Stevenson: Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross, and James Singleton...

Then again we probably couldn't have kept Haywood anyway. Per wikipedia, he signed a 6 year 55 million dollar deal with them last season. Yikes. I'd rather pay McGee that kind of money than Haywood.

---------- Post added February-7th-2012 at 07:08 PM ----------

I watched UConn and the entire team looked shockingly bad considering they have two potential lottery picks. Thier passing, shooting, and movement was bad. I found myself asking if they even practice.

Not to mention they're the defending National Champs.

I'm not crazy about Lamb and I'm really ambivalent on Drummond. He definitely does need to go back for another year.

But a big tourney changes the draft stock for anyone. It's still early.

Been saying that for a month he is lazy like a bigger Blatche.

could be...I even heard he had these concerns coming into college...appears he hasn't changed his way and possibly never will.

We need to trade this pick for someone who will come in and create offense right away

Also, I agree with taking Drummond of the wishlist based on what we've seen so far. We can't deal with that kind of player no matter the upside. We need a competitive, high IQ player period, whether he can come in and take over a starting role early or not.

My wish list is something like that:

1.) Anthony Davis

2.) Michael Kidd Gilchrist

3.) Jared Sullinger

4.) Harrison Barnes

5.) Bradley Beal

6.) Thomas Robinson

7.) Austin Rivers

8.) Quincy Miller

9.) Jeremy Lamb

10.) Perry Jones

We've got to get a second high lotto pick.

We could take a huge step forward just by drafting a PF/Wing pair like Sully/Robinson and Beal/Rivers/Miller.