Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

What do you think is happening now?

This Wiz team is shaping up to be the NBA version of the  2018 Orioles.  A team that thought they could compete, acted like they could compete, told everyone they could compete and then just **** the bed as much as they possibly could.  And didn't just **** the bed, they rolled around in the bed after and smeared it all over themselves like they were trying to apply camouflage and go hunting or something.  

I don't think that comp is fair. Everyone knew going into the 2018 MLB season the Orioles would be among the league's worst if not the worst. Most people at least expected the Wizards to be a playoff team.

The best comp to the Wiz would be like the Cincinatti Bengals. A lot of talent but too much mouthiness and bad chemistry with an idiot coach and FO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think that comp is fair. Everyone knew going into the 2018 MLB season the Orioles would be among the league's worst if not the worst. Most people at least expected the Wizards to be a playoff team.

The best comp to the Wiz would be like the Cincinatti Bengals. A lot of talent but too much mouthiness and bad chemistry with an idiot coach and FO.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree, although I think the Bengals is a fair comp, too.  

I thought that if everything went well the Orioles would be a middle of the pack team.  I thought they'd be around 75-79 wins if Cashner and Cobb pitched well and be respectable.  At worst, I thought they'd be 68-72 wins.  I certainly didn't expect them to be the worst in the league and certainly not one of the worst teams of ALL TIME.  They won 75 games the previous year (but limped hard to the finish line, definitely foreshadowing how terrible they would be).  

IMO, the main difference here is that 75 wins won't ever get you to the playoffs in baseball.  Being towards the upper part of the middle of the pack CAN get you into the playoffs in the NBA.  You can actually have a losing record in the NBA and make the playoffs which, IMO, needs to be fixed (but thats a different conversation for a different time).  So to say that the Wiz were expected to be a playoff team this year doesn't mean a whole lot to me.  I'm not sure what the win projections were but even if they won 50 games and made the playoffs comfortably, would anyone expect them to get past the the 2nd round?  There's no more LeBron but the Raptors and Celtics would still beat this team on their best day.  Even a team like the Bucks (who weren't expected to be this good before the season started but are hot) would give this team trouble.  

Getting back to my initial comp, I thought the Orioles could have been respectable headed into 2018.  I thought the Wiz could have been respectable, too.  I wasn't even really taking the FO and coaching into account for that comp, I was strictly looking at it from an expectations vs. results perspective.  I do like your Bengals comp though, I think it is valid.  

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The only leaders we've had on this team in the Wall era are Trevor Ariza and Paul Pierce.

I think in a different environment Beal would be there. But this is Walls team and everyone knows that and everyone told him that. No room for him to be the lead dog while wall is here

8 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Otto Porter is a bust.

If the only issue with Porter is that he failed to live up to his #3 overall draft position we'd be ok.  The problem is Ernie gave him a max contract.  He can't be traded because of his deal, he doesn't fit this offense, and I don't think he gets along with Wall. 

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

If the only issue with Porter is that he failed to live up to his #3 overall draft position we'd be ok.  The problem is Ernie gave him a max contract.  He can't be traded because of his deal, he doesn't fit this offense, and I don't think he gets along with Wall. 

If Porter was selected ANYWHERE out of the top-5, or even the lottery (to some extent,) I think he could get a pass.  But for a #3 overall....yikes.  If we don't cut Evan Turner any slack for his production at #2, then we have to do the same for Otto. 

Advanced stats darling, at times, who is invisible. 

Here's a list of previous #3 overall picks...where does Otto fall on here?

2018 Luka Doncic

2017 Jayson Tatum, Duke – Boston Celtics
2016 Jaylen Brown, California – Boston Celtics
2015 Jahlil Okafor, Duke – Philadelphia 76ers
2014 Joel Embiid, Kansas – Philadelphia 76ers
2013 Otto Porter, Georgetown – Washington Wizards
2012 Bradley Beal, Florida – Washington Wizards
2011 Enes Kanter, Kentucky – Utah Jazz
2010 Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech – New Jersey Nets

2000’s

2009 James Harden, Arizona State – Oklahoma City Thunder
2008 O.J. Mayo, USC – Minnesota Timberwolves
2007 Al Horford, Florida – Atlanta Hawks
2006 Adam Morrison, Gonzaga – Charlotte Bobcats
2005 Deron Williams, Illinois – Utah Jazz
2004 Ben Gordon, Connecticut – Chicago Bulls
2003 Carmelo Anthony, Syracuse – Denver Nuggets
2002 Mike Dunleavy, Duke – Golden State Warriors
2001 Pau Gasol, Spain – Atlanta Hawks
2000 Darius Miles, East St. Louis HS (Mo.) – L.A. Clippers

Edited by RonArtest15

35 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

If Porter was selected ANYWHERE out of the top-5, or even the lottery (to some extent,) I think he could get a pass.  But for a #3 overall....yikes.  If we don't cut Evan Turner any slack for his production at #2, then we have to do the same for Otto. 

Advanced stats darling, at times, who is invisible. 

That isn't quite fair because that's not the way the draft works.  Other than Oldiapo, he's probably better than anybody else taken in the top 10 of that draft (and interestingly, Oldiapo had to move away from a ball dominant PG to really blossom).  But he's still probably better than about 1/2 of them.

I'll also make the point that's already made in this thread.  It isn't like maxing Otto really mattered.  Whether they maxed him or not, they were still capped out.  There isn't really a move they could have made if they would have let him walk vs. keeping him.

The only reason Otto's contract matters is if you are the owner.

He's also not really the one that (at least for now) is holding up a true total rebuilding.

Edited by PeterMP

Otto’s contract and production isn’t as much of a problem as we were capped out anyway.

The issue was always that we didn’t offer him a deal before the extension deadline.

The franchise could have saved 30-40 million and had him under control for more years.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Otto’s contract and production isn’t as much of a problem as we were capped out anyway.

The issue was always that we didn’t offer him a deal before the extension deadline.

The franchise could have saved 30-40 million and had him for him under control for more years.

Right, but if the Wizards are going to try to detonate this thing and trade everyone, his contract isn't that desirable right?

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

That isn't quite fair because that's not the way the draft works.  Other than Oldiapo, he's probably better than anybody else taken in the top 10 of that draft (and interestingly, Oldiapo had to move away from a ball dominant PG to really blossom).  But he's still probably better than about 1/2 of them.

I'll also make the point that's already made in this thread.  It isn't like maxing Otto really mattered.  Whether they maxed him or not, they were still capped out.  There isn't really a move they could have made if they would have let him walk vs. keeping him.

The only reason Otto's contract matters is if you are the owner.

He's also not really the one that (at least for now) is holding up a true total rebuilding.

For a number 3 overall pick, he's trending in the direction of a bust - based on his draft position.  You bring up the draft, and yes...porter IS better than most of the guys selected in the first round that year, but it's also considered arguably one of the weakest/worst draft class' in recent memory.