Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

For a number 3 overall pick, he's trending in the direction of a bust - based on his draft position.  You bring up the draft, and yes...porter IS better than most of the guys selected in the first round that year, but it's also considered arguably one of the weakest/worst draft class' in recent memory. 

Okay, but that's an important thing to take into account.  Some drafts, the #3 pick is expected to be at least an All Star caliber player.  That wasn't true in that draft when that draft happened.

When Porter was drafted, most people never expected him to be a star.

And even in a stronger draft, I don't think you can consider him a bust.  Anthony Bennett was a bust.  Okafor looks like a bust.  I'm not sure of Porter's hip situation, but assuming he holds up health wise, I suspect he'll have a 10+ year career and after his time with the Wiz if nothing else will catch on somewhere as a bench shooter.

I'm not even given sure based on what was expected of him that you can even call him a disappointment.  He just ended up being 3rd because it was a bad draft.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Right, but if the Wizards are going to try to detonate this thing and trade everyone, his contract isn't that desirable right?

No, but his contract is not much of an obstacle either.  His contract is over 2021.  That's well before any expected time where you'd be expected to have to worry about extending players or getting a major player in free agency.  And often in that last year, you can actually find somebody to take on the contract.  In the context of a rebuild, he's irrelevant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm not even given sure based on what was expected of him that you can even call him a disappointment.  He just ended up being 3rd because it was a bad draft.

I think disappointment fits better than bust. He was billed as being the most "NBA ready" player in the draft. He didn't really come to life until last season. I say disappointment because you see what he could be if he had a single aggressive bone in his body. So much of what he isn't, seems to stem from the fact that he seems perfectly content go with the flow, even if its flowing through ****.

42 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Okay, but that's an important thing to take into account.  Some drafts, the #3 pick is expected to be at least an All Star caliber player.  That wasn't true in that draft when that draft happened.

When Porter was drafted, most people never expected him to be a star.

And even in a stronger draft, I don't think you can consider him a bust.  Anthony Bennett was a bust.  Okafor looks like a bust.  I'm not sure of Porter's hip situation, but assuming he holds up health wise, I suspect he'll have a 10+ year career and after his time with the Wiz if nothing else will catch on somewhere as a bench shooter.

No, but his contract is not much of an obstacle either.  His contract is over 2021.  That's well before any expected time where you'd be expected to have to worry about extending players or getting a major player in free agency.  And often in that last year, you can actually find somebody to take on the contract.  In the context of a rebuild, he's irrelevant.

You don't take role players in the top 3.  If the ceiling is that limited for the player you're considering drafting, trade out of the spot. 

As a top-3 player, expectations WERE high for Porter.  He was/is considered part of the "big" 3 with Wall/Beal.  Every year, we wait and wait for Porter to make the leap.  It just never happens. 

You're probably right...he's going to have a 10+ year career in the league.  He's a glue guy.  Not his fault being selected at #3 OR with getting the 100+ million dollar contract.  However, it's only fair to criticize him for his shortcomings when it's contributing to why this team sucks so much. 

I'll scale back on calling him a bust, but as @StillUnknown said, he's a disappointment.  A MAJOR disappointment. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

You don't take role players in the top 3.  If the ceiling is that limited for the player you're considering drafting, trade out of the spot. 

As a top-3 player, expectations WERE high for Porter.  He was/is considered part of the "big" 3 with Wall/Beal.  Every year, we wait and wait for Porter to make the leap.  It just never happens. 

You're probably right...he's going to have a 10+ year career in the league.  He's a glue guy.  Not his fault being selected at #3 OR with getting the 100+ million dollar contract.  However, it's only fair to criticize him for his shortcomings when it's contributing to why this team sucks so much. 

I'll scale back on calling him a bust, but as @StillUnknown said, he's a disappointment.  A MAJOR disappointment. 

Everybody knew it was a weak draft.  Picks at the top of that draft had very little value.

Porter himself thought he was similar to Tayshaun Prince, who never made an All Star team even.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Otto-Porter-6528/

"Porter compares himself to Tayshaun Price, which shows great self-awareness and is probably a very fair assessment."

And it isn't/wasn't an era where the 3rd picks contract killed you if he wasn't really good.  It isn't hard to imagine in a weak draft just taking the guy you think is best is the right decision.

Edited by PeterMP