Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Not reaching conclusions from one game, but Vesley doesn't look close to being a contributor at the NBA level. It would have been nice if we came away from the draft with a high caliber prospect.

Historically weak draft meant that it wasn't likely

Liked what I saw from Singleton tonight on D though. He's got the size and instincts, once he learns the nba game, he'll be a force.

From ESPN Insider, The Next Thunder?

1. Washington Wizards

Young stud? John Wall | Cap situation? Great. | Likely 2012 lottery picks? One (Own)

This time last year, an NBA exec made the very strong case that, among losing organizations, the Washington GM job was the most coveted seat in the league. A year later, that still holds true. It's my full expectation that Wall will be a Most Improved Player candidate, if not the favorite, in this upcoming season. After a disappointing and injury-riddled rookie campaign, the stage is set for Wall to lead the Wizards right back into playoff contention. Few players have a ceiling as high as Wall's.

But what the Wizards possess that most losing teams lack is an attractive market for free agents. The cap space that they'll win once they amnesty Rashard Lewis next season -- which I fully expect them to do -- will allow them to chase a big name in free agency and invest in their budding youth. (Sorry, I can't include Andray Blatche on that list, by the way). The Wizards should have a nice spot in the lottery next season, and considering the wealth of talent, a No. 10 pick could net a typical No. 5 prospect.

Not reaching conclusions from one game, but Vesley doesn't look close to being a contributor at the NBA level. It would have been nice if we came away from the draft with a high caliber prospect.

I thought he showed flashes. The raw talent is there.

Some thoughts:

John Wall - beast. His shot looked better. His teammates let him down. One negative though is that it does seem like he struggles finishing at the basket in traffic. Something that can get better?

Jordan Crawford - Still think he's a keeper but he's a ways away. He needs to learn to slow down, play within himself and see the floor. Which leads me to...

Nick Young - We NEED him

Javale - Don't really see where he's improved his game. At all.

Blatche - I swear, anyone who likes/defends this ****er must only pay attention to him when the ball is in his hands. He is beyond lazy, he's soft and he's out of shape like a *****. About six mins in and he couldn't get up and down the floor anymore. All he does is stand at the top of the key and shoot jumpers. Doesn't hustle on D. And I could tell on several occasions that it was irking Wall.

The Youngsters (Mack, Vesely, Singleton) - You could tell they were a little shell shocked. But I thought all three showed flashes, especially as the game went on and they got more comfortable.

Mason - Nice bench player

Lewis - A guy

Seraphin - didn't really stand out but you can tell he has the heart. Can't wait to see him and Booker develop.

Not having a training camp really, REALLY hurts us. This is a young team with a lot of new faces and we just don't have the time to settle in, learn each other and grow before the season starts. It's going to be rough early on but I think the talent is there. I think we'll grow. I think the big question is: is Flip the one who can teach them and take them to where they need (and can) go?

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

And really? NOBODY wants to hit up the FREE Fanfest tomorrow at 6? You know they're gonna be giving away a bunch of free ****. Probably meet some of the players (or at least big Gheorghe). Plus Wale is performing. Seriously, hit me up. I'm down for whoever wants to go.

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 11:16 PM ----------

Honestly, keep Lewis, dump Blatche. If Wall is going to be the leader, set the pace and we're going to build the team around and FOR him, Blatche doesn't fit...at all.

Did you watch the same game as I did? Wall was horrible and pretending his teammates let him down is BS. His passes were off target, he struggled to score, and he was generally entirely out of sync with just about anyone else on the floor. He had the teams worst +/- at -24. As for Blatche he certainly did not sit back and shoot jumpers and he played better defense than I saw from anyone on the perimeter. McGee was far more aggressive on boards and his offensive game added some moves that he's clearly still working on.

The problem tonight was simple the perimeter players failed to show up at all. They couldn't shoot or guard and made a lot of ridiculous mistakes.

Wall, Crawford, Lewis combined 7/22 31.8% 18pts

Blatche 5/11 45.4% 18pts

There's your problem.

Edited by Destino

The problem tonight was simple the perimeter players failed to show up at all. They couldn't shoot or guard and made a lot of ridiculous mistakes.

Funny that we went from being a team that for years could only live or die shooting jumpshots to a team that may not have a single reliable field shooter without Nick Young. :(

Did you watch the same game as I did? Wall was horrible and pretending his teammates let him down is BS. His passes were off target, he struggled to score, and he was generally entirely out of sync with just about anyone else on the floor. Mack look more effective than Wall for much of the game. As for Blatche he certainly did not sit back and shoot jumpers and he played better defense than I saw from anyone on the perimeter. McGee was far more aggressive on boards and his offensive game added some moves that he's clearly still working on.

I see Wall pushing it, trying to make things happen and nobody else stepping up. I see players bunched up, standing around and no movement whatsoever. So Wall forces things. Bad things happen. It's not him though.

And just for you baby, I'm going to go back and watch the game again. Watch nothing but Blatche. Maybe my hatred for him clouds my judgement. Don't think so though. And I promise that he couldn't get up and down the court.

But right now, I'm going to disagree 100% on McGee. What new moves does he have? An 8-foot linedrive hookshot? He's been doing that for the last two years. I just don't see where he's improved at all.

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 11:31 PM ----------

Funny that we went from being a team that for years could only live or die shooting jumpshots to a team that may not have a single reliable field shooter without Nick Young. :(

That's why resigning Nick Young is so important. We really do need him. Hopefully him and his agent weren't paying attention tonight, because if they did they got some major leverage.

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 11:36 PM ----------

I mean, goddamn go back and look at just the first Sixers basket. Blatche stands there and watches Hawes lay it in. Stands there. Makes no effort to go to the ball and help. Could've easily gotten a block coming from the back. But no. He stands there watching the whole thing happen.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I see Wall pushing it, trying to make things happen and nobody else stepping up. I see players bunched up, standing around and no movement whatsoever. So Wall forces things. Bad things happen. It's not him though.

What you described is poor point guard play. I'm a huge John Wall fan GACOLB and I want Blatche traded but this is preseason and what happened happened. If there is shot clock left Wall can't just force things because he wants to go faster. It's a team sport and he's playing point... throttle back set up a play and set up the best shot you can get.

Law of averages. Wall will bounce back and Blatche will not put up better scoring numbers than Wall, Crawford, and Lewis. Today was a bad day.

And really, I thought Crawford ****ed up the offense more than anyone. Just out of control and a ballhog.

Anyway...

(Originally was listing it by shot and point totals, but time works better--so people can go see for themselves. Hence why it's gone from 1., 2., 3. to 3:45)

Blatche's on Offense

(Shot # and/or time)

1. Jumpshot - fouled

2. FADEAWAY Jumpshot - miss

3. Fakes a pass, dribbles into the lane, takes a 5 foot jumper. THIS is what he should be doing - scores

4. Crawford draws two defenders including Blatches, dumps it off to him, takes it to the rim, lays it in, and 1. This.

5. 3:46 - Fakes going to the basket, 12 foot FADEAWAY jumper - misses

3:21 - Wall draws two defenders--one being Blatches--and drives toward the basket. Instead of going with him, and maybe getting the ball for an easy layup while Wall is drawing defenders, Blatche kinda just walks in the same direction.

6. 2:25 - Turiaf with a nice dumpoff pass to Blatche coming toward him on the baseline. Goes up for a layup and draws the foul from Hawes (though I thought the refs bailed him out on a charge but whatever)

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 11:41 PM ----------

Blatche on D

(Sixers point total and/or time)

4. Slow to get over across the lane and lets Holliday go for an easy, uncontested layup

6. Literally STANDS AT THE FOUL LINE and WATCHES Holliday take three tries at a layup before it finally going in. HE DOESN'T MOVE. This is our big ma

8. Stands next to Hawes and WATCHES HIM as he lays it in. No bull****. Go watch this one.

14. Brand gets an offensive rebound on him but that was just the bounce of the ball more than anything. Brand eventually gets it back and muscles Blatche a little before hitting a nice jumper off the backboard. Not gonna hate on Blatche here. Brand is still a strong (stronger than Blatche) and skilled player.

4:08 - This is where Blatche is officially winded. 8 minutes into the game. I wasn't sure whether to put this in O or D. The NICE play by Singleton on that Sixers three on one. Blatche walks down the court, Singleton makes the play, Blatche starts WALKING back on O, letting the Sixers hustle and even up the numbers, ruining our chance to get an easy basket. You don't see Blatche for a full 8 seconds. It takes him 8 seconds to WALK back up the court. And then he stands at the three point line asking for the ball.

3:00 - Guarding Young. Little Jru Holliday gets in his way freeing up Young. Young goes around, instead of moving his feet and getting in front of him, Blatche kinda like swipes at the ball or something as Young tries to lay it in. Luckily it rims out.

2:48 - Wall misses a layup on a one man fast break. Hawes with the rebound. Blatche tries some bull**** steal attempt, Hawes fakes it, Meeks streaks passed him, Hawes throws it to him. Luckily Singleton and Turiaf hustle back and disrupt his layup attempt.

2:15 - Decent D on a driving Young. However the rebound goes right passed his head and back to Young. Young immediately takes a jumper. Blatche turns around and WATCHES Brackins hustle to get the rebound two feet in front of him. (Then it goes out of bounds--luckily--and Blatche starts pointing like he did something. Well I guess he did have the best seat in the house on it.)

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 11:40 PM ----------

McGee on Offense

1. Some ****ed up ugly looking underneath the backboard layup where he misses almost everything (though he does get his own rebound and jams it in)

2. Hookshot (flat from about 7 feet out) - misses

3. Nice little spin move and left hand layup. That was nice effort. - misses

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Some blame Blatche for everything, he's the problem for Walls countless turnovers Crawford chucking up bricks, Rashad Lewis soft play, all the rookies playing like they are not ready.

Blatche was the only bright spot at least on first half then the rest of the teams sorry ass play rubbed off on him in the second half. Blatche played the best defense on the team, he attacked the rim he also took outside shots which we don't like but that's apart of his game.

He wasnt the problem today and last year when he played we had a much better chance too win.

Preseason game 1 grades

Wall F

Crawford F-

Lewis D

McGee C-

Blatche B ( was an A in the first half then struggled in te second half)

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

It's preseason so I'm not going to go bonkers. This is a young team that needs more practice time, they aren't a vet team that can simply show up and execute at a high level.

Not having Young is huge. He's our best shooter by far. With him out, teams can just clutter the paint because there is nobody to fear. This makes it tough on Wall to drive and dish. I don't think Shard can be relied on anymore as a shooter.

Blatche played well but at best he should be a complimentary piece. If he ends up being our best performer it usually means a loss.

This will be another tough year folks. The same win % as last year would net us 23 wins in this shortened year and I don't expect much more then that. I do think we'll get better as the year progresses though.

Oh one thing I forgot, Vesley and Singleton both looked good. Vesley has a ways to go but the talent is there. Hopefully he doesn't fall victim to Blatche and McGee's work ethic and general cluelessness on how to be professionals. Singleton is probably the best defender on the team already and he'll be starting by midseason. If he can develop a quality jumper, he'll be a solid starter for years. I think he'll end up eventually being a Trevor Ariza type player.

In case people don't realize, post#6592--like four inches above this one--is my Baltche/McGee watch that I am CURRENTLY updating as I watch the game a second time. I'm solely focusing on those two (esp Baltche). Please, dispute something I'm saying. I don't want to feel as though I'm wasting my time.

Seriously, Blatches one problem, his only problem, is that he's lazy. He's got the size, he's got the skills, but he just wastes it because he's so goddamn lazy. It's so ****ing frustrating to watch. (And being out of shape, yet again, doesn't help). I think that's why people think he adds something or he actually had a good game. Because when he does put in the effort, he can make things happen and it stands out. They don't notice the laziness the other 30 minutes of his time in the game.

---------- Post added December-17th-2011 at 12:42 AM ----------

What you described is poor point guard play. I'm a huge John Wall fan GACOLB and I want Blatche traded but this is preseason and what happened happened. If there is shot clock left Wall can't just force things because he wants to go faster. It's a team sport and he's playing point... throttle back set up a play and set up the best shot you can get.

Law of averages. Wall will bounce back and Blatche will not put up better scoring numbers than Wall, Crawford, and Lewis. Today was a bad day.

I understand what you're saying, but when I say push it, I don't mean on fastbreaks. I mean push it as it trying to make the offense run. Or work is probably a better word. Wall lives to set up other players. That's what he does. And they weren't helping him tonight.

And honestly, I think people might be contributing some of Crawford's dumbness to Wall. It's easy to get them mixed up I think. They have a similar size and build. Plus, and I don't know if I'm the only one to notice this, but the numbers on the back are hard to read on these new uni's.

Anyway, as I've said before, Crawford was really the one I was most disappointed in. But like I said, I think he's a keeper and he just needs to learn to slow it down, see the floor and be smart.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.