Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I thought the point of the Howard trade was to continue to clear the books. Not get a specific player in return.

Yeah I think you are right on this one. That trade was clearly aimed toward putting the team in a better financial position for the future. As much as I hate EG and think that he has generally done a poor job as GM of the Zards, you can't really fault him for this move. Plus, I actually think it was nice to send Caron to a contender . . . it was like EG was trying to reward tough juice for his dedication, effort and play during his time here.

That's exactly what it was. A complete blowing up of the roster after the ultimate epic failure of the Gil/AJ/Caron era. It was a bunch of expiring deals. And who the **** else would be trading for them and what exactly were you expecting to get? And the bit about hating what he's "put around Wall" is utter nonsense. Wall has been here a year. What exactly was he supposed to add in a year? We straight robbed the Hawks for Jordan Crawford, we got Vesely in a weak draft, Singleton is a nice pick, Booker and Seraphin from the Wall draft are both very promising, and we found someone to dump Gilbert's contact/mess on.

I really don't get the hate for EG sometimes, but that's just me.

Mo Evans resigns. I can dig it. Good veteran depth.

I like him. I'm glad we kept him. His energy, saltiness, toughness, and hustle was an important part of why we started playing well down the stretch last season.

I hope we keep Jeffers too. Our roster isn't that talented or deep so we're not really sacrificing anyone to keep a couple of goons like them around.

If nothing else, I don't want to see any team in the league bully us this year. I want to see us hit all comers in the mouth.

We're going to make the playoffs this year. Crazy things happen during shortened seasons. Remember how the Knicks made the finals in 99? They barely squeaked into the playoffs as an 8 seed.

**** it. I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up. John Wall is going to lead us to glory and a playoff run this season! Orlando is deconstructing. Boston is old and matches up very poorly against us. Miami can't outrun us like they do everyone else, and we should actually have solid perimeter d this season. The Knicks will score a lot of points but don't have a championship makeup.

The only team in the East that can just punk us is the Bulls and the playoffs demonstrated that if you can contain their offense to just Rose and keep him from going crazy, you can beat them.

We're going to the finals! What what!

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 03:03 PM ----------

They didn't amnesty Shard because he's still a useful player. We need floor spacing and offensive production from our forward spots. I'm optimistic about Shard. If he can stay healthy, he is a very good offensive weapon.

I think the reason we didn't amnesty Rashard is mostly because he's a good dude and we've got money to burn right now. His value at the 3 can be found for much cheaper.

We don't need the cap space right now for dropping him. It's nice to have a hard working veteran presence around a bunch of impressionable young players.

And his massive expiring contract two years down the road or whenever it's set to expire is probably worth more to us now than the cap relief.

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 03:05 PM ----------

My only trepidation about not amnestying Rashard is, while we think we don't need the money right now, what if something comes up?

What if we're much better than we realize and want to operate on an accelerated timeline for FA pickups?

What if someone good becomes unexpectedly available?

What if Javale makes a gigantic leap this season and becomes expensive as hell?

Edited by stevemcqueen1

We've owned Boston for years now--for whatever reason.

And unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Jeffers blew out his knee over the summer so I think we rescinded his qualifying offer and brought back Larry Owens instead. Maybe once he recovers we bring him back in though. I really enjoyed his heart and passion. I think you def need players like him on the bench, who play and practice hard and push the stars to do the same.

That's exactly what it was. A complete blowing up of the roster after the ultimate epic failure of the Gil/AJ/Caron era. It was a bunch of expiring deals. And who the **** else would be trading for them and what exactly were you expecting to get? And the bit about hating what he's "put around Wall" is utter nonsense. Wall has been here a year. What exactly was he supposed to add in a year? We straight robbed the Hawks for Jordan Crawford, we got Vesely in a weak draft, Singleton is a nice pick, Booker and Seraphin from the Wall draft are both very promising, and we found someone to dump Gilbert's contact/mess on.

Not a big fan of EG. Don't like some of things that went down during the Arenas/Crittenden saga.

But with that being said, he's done a good job with the rebuild.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

My only trepidation about not amnestying Rashard is, while we think we don't need the money right now, what if something comes up?

What if we're much better than we realize and want to operate on an accelerated timeline for FA pickups?

What if someone good becomes unexpectedly available?

What if Javale makes a gigantic leap this season and becomes expensive as hell?

We can amnesty Rashard (or anyone else) at any time.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

We can amnesty Rashard (or anyone else) at any time.

Got a question about that. I know we can amnesty anyone up until this new CBA expires or is terminated. Does the contract we amnesty have to have been signed BEFORE the new CBA came into existence? Or, for example, if we sign someone next year to a big deal and within two years the player goes bad like Allan Houston or Penny, can we still amnesty him?

What would you have liked done different during the Arenas/JCritt thing?

I had a couple chats with UnWise Mike and there was a lot of stuff that went on behind the scenes.

Basically, Ernie was eager...a little too eager to throw Gil under the bus. According to Wise, even the D.C. police noticed it.

And what it comes down to is performance.

If Gil was still explosive and averaging 30, I suspect all of that drama would have been minimized or just outright swept under the rug.

It just doesn't sit well with me....especially after chatting with Wise.

(I'm not condoning what he did, I just don't like how it all went down) :whoknows:

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 08:27 PM ----------

Got a question about that. I know we can amnesty anyone up until this new CBA expires or is terminated. Does the contract we amnesty have to have been signed BEFORE the new CBA came into existence? Or, for example, if we sign someone next year to a big deal and within two years the player goes bad like Allan Houston or Penny, can we still amnesty him?

The amnesty clause only applies to contracts that were signed before the current CBA was ratified.

What would you have liked done different during the Arenas/JCritt thing?

I think he made Gilbert the scapegoat during an otherwise bad season, where he should have gotten blame for putting together a crappy roster by overpaying several players.

He sold Gilbert out, completely threw him under the bus and made our franchise look like crap. There were several prominent players (Paul Pierce being quite vocal) that were not happy with us completely removing Gilbert's existence from the team. Grunfeld thought he had a way out of Gilbert's contract, and in doing so cut off all ties with him.

I know athletes get in trouble for stupid things, but I've never seen a franchise just do a complete boycott. He handled that situation as poorly as possible.

Amen, brother.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/is-nick-youngs-price-tag-too-high/2011/12/16/gIQAKvT3yO_blog.html

Why the delay for Young? According to two high-ranking Western Conference officials and a high-ranking Eastern Conference official, Young is seeking an annual salary in the range of $9 million per season – and few teams have the funds or the willingness to pay him right now.

“I do hear his price tag is pretty high,” one Western Conference official said.

Sacramento has money but no need at shooting guard. Indiana has cap room but has never shown an interest in signing players to offer sheets. New Jersey is still attempting to trade for Dwight Howard or save room to sign him next season. Denver is still trying to re-sign its own restricted free agent Arron Afflalo.

Young averaged a career-high and team-leading 17.4 points per game last season for the Wizards, the highest among free agent shooting guards. But this also hasn’t been the friendliest free agent signing period for perimeter players.

:ols: @ any team who gives that man 9mil per

I'm gonna get back at you all on the Ernie/Gil/JCritt thing when I get home from work sometime tonight.

Yeah...Nick Young must be on Sam Hurd's list. He must be high if he wants all that but hey, Kwame makes $7 mil a year...:puke::puke:

Just thinking here, does anyone think Kwame cares about being one of the biggest busts of all time? Being not just an NBA joke, but a national one? Or is he just laughing his ass off on the way to the bank with the 50(!!!!!!) MILLION he's made since being in the league?

I remember that game well.

Gil also dropped 54 against Phoenix the same week.

I remember that one too. Watched it with my grandpa and I remember Gil tying the game with a 3 from close to the half court line. Ridic. lol

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 07:09 PM ----------

Game time folks. Tune in to CSN!

So glad the season is finally here. A part of me would have died inside if we didn't get to watch this team for a full year.

I'm so excited about this team. It's just good to have hope...Can't wait to see what the future holds

I'm gonna get back at you all on the Ernie/Gil/JCritt thing when I get home from work sometime tonight.

Just thinking here, does anyone think Kwame cares about being one of the biggest busts of all time? Being not just an NBA joke, but a national one? Or is he just laughing his ass off on the way to the bank with the 50(!!!!!!) MILLION he's made since being in the league?

He's actually carved a nice little niche for himself as a big who can play a little D. I dont think he rises to a national joke just because he's kinda "out of sight, out of mind".

The perimeter defenders are leaving him in really tough situations. The perimeter d has been pretty awful so far.

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 07:23 PM ----------

Javale is very active on the boards so far.

This man get it! Holiday is getting too the paint at will so far we look like the same team. Blatche is playing well great defense on brand.