Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Burg- I was just referring to my all-time DC area sports moments.

Ah... nevermind. :)

Edit: No DC United? And I'm not sure if it's technically DC, but that GMU Final Four run was a great local Cinderella story.

Edited by Burgold

This is long but informative.

A Brief Look At The Wizards' Salary-Cap Situation

Since it became a topic of discussion in the last thread, here's a look at the Wizards' salary-cap situation for next year. There's obviously a lot of caveats because of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, but while working on a feature on a similar topic for SBNation.com, I decided to clarify a few things with regards for the Wizards. Data is from HoopsHype and Sham Sports.

CONTRACTS SET IN STONE FOR NEXT YEAR, BARRING A TRADE

1. Rashard Lewis: $22.15 million*

2. Andray Blatche: $6.44 million

3. John Wall: $5.53 million

4. JaVale McGee: $2.46 million**

5. Kevin Seraphin: $1.68 million

6. Trevor Booker: $1.29 million

7. Jordan Crawford: $1.12 million

TOTAL: $40.67 million

QUALIFYING OFFERS

8. Nick Young: $3.66 million

9. Othyus Jeffers: $1.06 million

10. Hamady Ndiaye: $963,872

11. Larry Owens: $963,872

TOTAL: $6.64 million

TOTAL TO DATE: $47.31 million

ROOKIES

12. Jan Vesely: $2.63 million***

13. Chris Singleton: $1.28 million***

14. Shelvin Mack: $473,604****

TOTAL: $4.38 million

TOTAL WASHINGTON WIZARDS' SALARY COMMITTED: $51.69 million for 14 players*****

It's not quite clear what the cap will look like under a new CBA. Last year, the cap level was $58.044 million. There's been talk of a "flex" cap of $62 million, which is really just a high hard cap. Regardless, we don't really know.

So will the Wizards have cap room? A lot depends on the free agents with the qualifying offers. I suspect Young will be back with the team with a higher first-year salary level than his qualifying offer. The other three are trickier to tell -- the Wizards could always rescind the qualifying offer (normally, the deadline is July 23, but this isn't a normal year). If I had to guess, I figure Ndiaye will be back, Owens will not and Jeffers is a wild card.

I doubt the Wizards will be all that active in free agency anyway, but there does appear to be a bit of room in case they want to add a cheap big man like Nazr Mohammad (UPDATE: nevermind), or Aaron Gray, another shooter (I like Reggie Williams of Golden State) or possibly a veteran backup point guard (maybe Earl Watson or Anthony Carter).

*: Could be eliminated from cap with a clause like the 2005 Allan Houston rule, though it would mean the team couldn't take advantage of his partially-guaranteed deal in 2012/13.

**: Up for an early contract extension, at least under the terms of the current CBA that will likely go away.

***This uses the rookie scale projection here, which could be a bit off under a new CBA

****This was the salary of Armon Johnson, last year's No. 34 pick. It also could be a bit off.

*****: Reminder: this is just a rough projection. The new CBA could alter that number slightly.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/6/29/2250555/a-brief-look-at-the-wizards-salary-cap-situation#storyjump

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/6/24/2242004/drafting-to-beat-the-heat

Drafting to beat the Heat?

The Heat, with all due respect to the Magic, are the Wizards biggest challenge in winning their division. They also may stand in their way of advancing through the playoffs. With the drafting of Vesley and Singleton have the Wizards added the pieces to successfully defend and defeat the Heat?

If we re-sign Nick Young, we can run a crunch time match-up of:

John Wall v. Mario Chalmers

Nick Young v. Dwayne Wade

Chris Singleton v. LePippen

Jan Vesley v. Chris Bosh

Pierre v. Scrub Center

Nick Young has proven he can defend against Wade effectively. Chris Singleton has the athleticism, size, and wherewithal to defend LeBron. Jan Vesley is an excellent match-up against Chris Bosh. Bosh is not a banger, he is more of a really tall three playing the four. Vesley won't be out-muscled by Bosh but can keep up athletically and has the length to bother Bosh. Offensively, you let Wall and McGee take advantage of their mismatches. Young and Singleton (he can knock down open threes) can spread the floor and tire Wade/LeBron by making them chase after them through screens etc. Bosh doesn't always show the most awareness. Vesley may be able to sneak in a few good cuts for easy baskets. In the end, most of the offense would originate from the Heat's defensive weakness, the one and five. But defensively, we can slow them down. We can do that probably better than any team in the league, at least match-up wise.

We already played the Heat pretty well last year. We're a good matchup because we're pretty much as fast and long as they are. Drafting Singleton and Vesely only adds to the formula, especially if Vesely can play quality defense against Bosh. I definitely think he could if Vesely gets a bit stronger and more aware. He's a pesky man defender who kept his opponents to very low shooting percentages one on one--he's just a bit lost when it comes to his team defensive skills.

Can someone explain to me why JaVale calls himself Pierre?

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 02:36 PM ----------

Wade against Young is still a bit of a mismatch though. Young is long but Wade still scores at will against him. Young is neither as fast nor as strong as Wade. He's going to need Wade to lose that first step before he can really lock him down.

On the flip side, Young proved that Wade can't defend him either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmZQPTgM.7bl_ElcxPlteiS8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_greg_oden_blazers_062911

Portland Trail Blazers officials have told Greg Oden’s(notes) representatives they will tender the center an $8.8 million qualifying offer to make him a restricted free agent, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Blazers have until midnight ET Thursday to give the qualifying offer.

The No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft, Oden has played just 82 games over four seasons because of injuries. The Blazers made the qualifying offer to protect themselves from possibly losing him for nothing, sources said. Once Oden becomes a restricted free agent, the Blazers will have the right to match any offer sheet he receives.

Oden missed last season after having microfracture surgery on his left knee in November. He hasn’t played since December of 2009 when he needed surgery to repair a fractured left patella. He was averaging 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks at the time of the injury.

Oden, 23, is working out in Los Angeles. There is no firm timetable for his return.

“Some people may think it’s best for me being out of [Portland], getting out of that mode of being injured or Sam Bowie talk,” Oden told Yahoo! Sports in late May. “Some people are probably saying, ‘You owe the Blazers for four years.’ I don’t know. For me, I just want to get out there and play.”

8.8mil for a dude thats made of glass

big man potential will always be valuable, even if you can't get on the court

kinda makes you wonder what JaVale will get when he hits the market. Even if he plays no better than last season, he'll be still be young and some GM will see that "potential"

Edited by StillUnknown

Good job Dray.

Washington Wizards’ Andray Blatche on charity mission to Jamaica

Forward Andray Blatche will donate sneakers, basketballs and a $50,000 check during a goodwill mission to Jamaican schools.

Washington Wizards 6-11 forward Andray Blatche is taking a break from a summer training session he believes will yield his first All-Star selection to assist school children in Jamaica.

On Sunday, Blatche and a traveling party of NFL players Frostee Rucker, Raheem Brock, Shaun Smith, Rudi Johnson, Ryan Wallace along with Jamaican expats Byron and Ingrid Bachelor – a husband and wife accounting team that runs the RuJohn Foundation – arrived in Kingston for a three-day goodwill mission.

Blatche said he was inspired to make the return visit by the resilience shown by students dealing with substandard classrooms, among other challenges, when he, Johnson and Celtics guard Delonte West toured the island two years ago.

“It was mind blowing to see some of the conditions that these kids have to learn under,” Blatche said. “I saw it with my own eyes what little they have. For them to deal with those circumstances really impressed me. My family and I are trying to help out in whatever way we can.”

Blatche, who helped refurbish a basketball court at Kingston College on his previous trip, is expected to contribute $50,000 toward the renovation of the school’s athletic facility and donate basketballs, sneakers and T-Shirts at sports camps in Negril and Kingston. Along each stop, Blatche said he will also bring his young audience, whom he claims a big brother type kinship with, words of encouragement.

Upon his return to Miami, Blatche will resume a workout regimen geared toward maximizing a tantalizing skill set that has teased Wizards coaches and fans for too long.

“I’m still an up-and-coming player,” said Blatche, who bounced back from a broken foot to average 16.8 points and 8.2 rebounds last season. “I just want to be mean and tough in the paint, work on my jump shot and become more consistent. Work on my body. My goal is to be one of the best players in the league.”

In the eyes of the Jamaican school children impacted by Blatche’s visit, their newly adopted 7-foot friend already holds All-Star credentials.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/28/2289848/washington-wizards-andray-blatche.html

Blatche does need to work on his body. He's too doughy and I suspect he's got a high body fat %. A 270 pound player like him should have a strong trunk to where he can back most guys out of his spots in the paint but I don't think he consistently shows that kind of strength or will to throw his weight around.

I want to see Blatche develop his core and lower body strength more. It probably couldn't hurt to add upperbody strength either. He can't come into the season in poor condition again either.

You'd think all young professional athletes would be provided top notch strength and conditioning programs by their teams. I mean if a team is going to pay them millions to play isn't developing their athleticism at a fraction of that cost in their own best interest? I am always stunned by how little development is actually done by the teams themselves even if it is the off season.

I suggest you do some research on Blatche and weight training. His own words specifically in the past. Don't fall for this bull****. Not again. He gets you all every year. Why you gonna let him do it to you again? For real, I've seen the same **** for going on a dedade now. Wake the **** up.

Dude is a bum. Dude will always be a bum. DC will be a better place when he's gone. in the meantime, do yourselves a favor and forget that he even exists. Don't waste your time discussing him. He's not a part of the future.

Blatche is here for next year GACOLB whether we like it or not. If there is a next year that is. Might as well see how he develops because we've got nothing to lose by it. We don't need Blatche to be good to move forward as a team now that we've drafted a player like Vesely. If Blatche surprises you and actually has a good year, then the team is helped every way you slice it.

Ted's words show that Blatche is under scrutiny from the FO and is on fairly thin ice. If Blatche doesn't perform this year then he'll be moved one way or the other. If he does? Then we've got a good player to work with.

You'd think all young professional athletes would be provided top notch strength and conditioning programs by their teams. I mean if a team is going to pay them millions to play isn't developing their athleticism at a fraction of that cost in their own best interest? I am always stunned by how little development is actually done by the teams themselves even if it is the off season.

I'm sure Ted has hired the best trainers he possibly can, but what can you do with people who are inherently lazy? You can't point a gun at them and force them to work out. Unless you're Gilbert Arenas/Javaris Crittendon. ;)

Edited by Warhead36

Blatche is here for next year GACOLB whether we like it or not. If there is a next year that is. Might as well see how he develops because we've got nothing to lose by it. We don't need Blatche to be good to move forward as a team now that we've drafted a player like Vesely. If Blatche surprises you and actually has a good year, then the team is helped every way you slice it.

Ted's words show that Blatche is under scrutiny from the FO and is on fairly thin ice. If Blatche doesn't perform this year then he'll be moved one way or the other. If he does? Then we've got a good player to work with.

First off there ain't gonna be a year. The NBA is done. For a long, loooong time.

But anyway, listen to me or don't. That's on you. If you want to waste your time, you want to live in some fantasy land, that's on you. But I'm telling you, in a town with a rich history of false hopes when it comes to athletics and athletes, Blatche is peerless. I've never seen anything like it. Year after year after year. It's Jason Campbell on crack. Jason Campbell if JC was a lazy, dishonest POS. Blatche ain't nothing but a conman. Being 6'10", 270, athletic, with a J is his hustle. And he always gets someone to bite. You're just the next sucker.

Like I said, he's not part of the future. Ted's a smart guy. Ted's got pride. He knows by now that Blatche has played him. He's out of here as soon as someone offers something that isn't insulting.

I suggest you do some research on Blatche and weight training. His own words specifically in the past. Don't fall for this bull****. Not again. He gets you all every year. Why you gonna let him do it to you again? For real, I've seen the same **** for going on a dedade now. Wake the **** up.

Dude is a bum. Dude will always be a bum. DC will be a better place when he's gone. in the meantime, do yourselves a favor and forget that he even exists. Don't waste your time discussing him. He's not a part of the future.

I endorse this statement...

We just resigned Blatche just last year maybe you need to get over it, because Blatche is here like it or not. As a matter of fact since you hate him so much don't even bother watching the Wizards and waste your time. Hes cheap, Young, and have potential hes very immature but hey when you want to go youth movement you are going to have them. Blatche is on a very short leash we drafted some young guns that may be able to take his spot in the future so he will have to come in shape, and if he can give us those 20 rebounds and get nasty in the paint like he was the last 2 months of the season then SWEET!