Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't know that the time is right to make a big free agent splash. The young guys need to get their feet underneath them first IMO. We've added so many new players in the past 12 months that we don't even really know what we still need.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 06:13 PM ----------

Chad Ford gave us an A. Even if Vesely never ends up being that great, he's going to be an exciting player and a hell of a lot of fun to watch. DC is the perfect market for him.

So i might be jumping on the bandwagon officially even though i watch all the games, lol.

BTW, this hat looks amazing

http://store.nba.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11773331&cp=1421569.2098643

That's the draft hat. Saw Vesely put it on and immediately went to the store at the Verizon Center last night and bought one. Love it.

It was funny (to me anyway). I went straight from work last night so I still had my slacks and dress shirt on. I felt like a draft pick walking around with that hat on. Kept waiting for someone to ask me for my autograph.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

they don't have much room at all....the link you listed needs to check their math! They have about 53 million on the books for 2011....and the cap will likely be lower than this year's 58 million.

Are you talking about cap holds?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9190

$37,475,383

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm

$36,416,010

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/grizzlies.jsp

$37,475,383 w/o options. $36,527,583 with options, $69,108,678 with holds.

If I remember correctly cap holds just mean you have to renounce or resign the player. For comparison the wizards show a salary, with cap holds, of $79,824,131 for next year (including rookies).

Edited by Destino

Not really.

Mack and Crawford are both combo guards.

A big reason I didn't like the Mack pick. Besides the fact that I wanted Honeycutt, I just don't understand how another combo guard makes sense. I was an advocate for taking a backup PG at that spot, but that's not what we got really. I guess they just went BPA

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 04:22 AM ----------

Draft review by nbadraft.net:

http://www.nbadraft.net/instant-analysis/2011

6. Jan Vesely | 6-11 | 230 | SF/PF | Czech Republic | 21

Love this pick. Jan Vesely isn't your typical European; he's super athletic with incredible length and has good toughness. Wizards fans should be thrilled thinking of John Wall and Vesley running the fast break for years to come. Maurice Evans and Larry Owens played over 33 minutes per game for the Wiz last year...so yeah...Vesely fills a need.

18. Chris Singleton | 6-9 | 230 | SF/PF | Florida St. | 21

The Wizards were among the worst defensive teams in the league last season. Chris Singleton should help fix that right away. Singleton was the last man standing in the green room, meaning he was a huge steal at this point in the draft. At 6-9, he can defend anyone from shooting guards to power forwards. He's not a very good shooter, and will never be the type of player who creates his own offense, but he can defend with the best of them. Think Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. He'll bring much-needed toughness to the Wizards and complement Jan Vesley nicely.

34. Shelvin Mack | 6-2 | 205 | PG/SG | Butler | 22

Shelvin Mack introduced himself to basketball fans through back-to-back trips to the National Championship game. He's a strong, physical guard with a scorer's mentality. He's not a pure point guard, but he's an NBA-level athlete and terrific teammate.

A big reason I didn't like the Mack pick. Besides the fact that I wanted Honeycutt, I just don't understand how another combo guard makes sense. I was an advocate for taking a backup PG at that spot, but that's not what we got really. I guess they just went BPA
I think BPA was the factor there. Mack can shoot pretty well (which we needed) and he can also handle the ball for stretches when we need him to. We had him graded as a first round pick.

I really liked some of Honeycutt's skills but I'm just not sure he had an NBA body GACOLB. He couldn't even do a single rep at the combine and they only lift 185. I think I'm stronger than he is (and that is definitely not good for a pro athlete).

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I'm not concerned about the back up PG spot. Wall will play somewhere between 35-40 minutes most nights. Crawford showed some really good PG skills last year as well.

I actually like the idea of combo guards as back ups. Mack and Crawford can be plugged into both spots, giving us some roster flexibility.

The only roster spot I'm concerned about is back up C.

Edited by No Excuses

Wall shouldn't be playing anywhere close to 40 minutes a night Vishal. 35 to 36 is alright number. I want him to have 80 game regular seasons plus have the legs for the playoffs. And honestly, there's no need to play him so much when you've got as many quality guards as we do.

We do need a backup center though. We can search for a cheap veteran for the short term. I'm not sure Seraphin or H can be trusted next season (if there is one).

Yeah he won't average 40 a night but some nights he will have to play as much. Around 35 is what he will get on average, with Crawford getting about 10 minutes at the back up PG spot and 15 at the back up SG spot. I see Young playing around 30-34 minutes a night. I see Mack or if we sign a vet backup splitting the remaining minutes at the PG/SG spot.

Either way, if Crawford can improve on his offensive efficiency, we will have an extremely solid back court.

FWIW, Wall averaged 37 last year. Probably stays around that.

Edited by No Excuses

Jan Vesely, Wizards’ top NBA draft pick, is a crowd pleaser

Jan Vesely’s final game with Partizan Belgrade was coming to a close nearly three weeks ago, his club well on its way toward winning its 10th consecutive Serbian title. He went to the bench, hugged and high-fived his teammates, and was overwhelmed by the sound. For several minutes, thousands of fans at Pionir Hall bobbed up and down — including a handful waving lit flares — and most were serenading Vesely, screaming his name.

“Ve-se-ly! Ve-se-ly! They chanted to him like he was the king,” said James Gist, the former Good Counsel and Maryland star who was a teammate of the Washington Wizards’ top choice in the 2011 draft last season in Serbia, as he recalled the scene in the closing seconds of the championship game against Hemofarm. “He was the face of Partizan. He was Partizan’s icon.”

Vesely didn’t let the moment go to waste, as he applauded the fans right back, hopped up on the scorer’s table and boisterously pumped his fists. When fans mobbed the floor afterward, Vesely began jumping with them, and it wasn’t long before he was nearly disrobed, still gleefully bouncing around.

“That was the best moment,” Vesely said with a grin. “I really liked that.”

“I have to grow up mentally and work on my game,” said Vesely, who averaged 10.4 points and 4.3 rebounds in Adriatic league play and 9.2 points and 3.4 rebounds in Euroleague play last season. “I was one of the more important players on Partizan. Two years ago, I was a different player. I learn basketball. I learned almost everything else. I feel like that’s my home. The people they treated me like I’m from there.”

The decision to take Vesely was practically unanimous within the basketball operations side of the organization, with the Wizards enamored with the freakishly athletic 6-foot-11 forward who runs the floor and attacks the rim as if ignited by a fuse. Vesely also has the charisma and confidence to respond to a question about being called the “European Blake Griffin” by calling the Los Angeles Clippers’ all-star and rookie of the year “the American Jan Vesely.”
Gist had just finished playing a game of five-on-five last Thursday when he told his friends not to leave the gym until he saw Vesely get drafted. When his former teammate joined his hometown team, Gist said he stood up and applauded. “He’s definitely a good addition for the Wizards. I’m glad we’re bringing somebody in who is going to help us win some. I’m a Wizards fan, so I’m happy.”

Vesely still needs to improve in several areas, including free throw shooting — he made just 44 percent of his attempts from the foul line last season. Even Kodouskova (Vesely's girlfriend) had a good time mocking his shortcomings at the line. “We make fun, that he shoots free throws with closed eyes,” she said with a laugh.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/wizards-top-pick-jan-vesely-is-a-crowd-pleaser/2011/06/25/AGIUa6kH_story.html

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

It's impossible not to be excited about Vesely. He's got so much panache and star quality. His game is so much fun, he wears his emotions on his sleeve, and he knows how to play to a crowd.

Bill Simmons's draft diary had a great tidbit after the Singleton pick where he said something like, "Wizards, don't think I haven't noticed that you've slowly been transforming yourself into a young, high flying, high energy team with cool hats and jerseys." The rest of the country is starting to pick up on the fact that the Wizards are becoming one of the most fascinating teams in the league right now (and not for bad reasons like in the past). How can you not love this mix of personalities we've got now?

-- Captain Basketball point guard John Wall who's also got some style and a signature dance

-- JaVale's hilarious man-child personality and skillset that delivers face palms or goose bumps in about equal measure

-- NY's silky smooth game and assortment of classic hair styles ranging from high top fade to jehri curl.

-- Vesely's charisma and wild game and hilariously goofy antics

-- Crawford's streak for clutch heroics and utter confidence in himself--dunking on LeBron in a basketball camp

-- Booker's, Seraphin's, and Singleton's toughness, energy, and head busting attitude--the muscle

-- Blatche's single-minded determination to become the first 7 foot 270 pound combo guard in league history

-- Yi's mystical Chinese wisdom which allows him to play whole games of basketball without jumping once.

How can anyone not love this team?

---------- Post added June-26th-2011 at 01:47 PM ----------

When we're watching our first Wizards (Bullets) championship DVD of the Wall era ten year's from now, there is going to be a rich set of footage for the "inept times" segment set to Bennie Hill theme music during the part where the narrator talks about how far this undisciplined young team had to go to become the seasoned juggernaut they eventually became. Blatche's spin move montage will feature prominently. As will JaVale's foul line dunk attempts and a long reel Yi getting dunked on.