Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If I had to grade the draft it would be a D. Vesely is a 3 but even in Europe they were abusing him with fast SF that he couldn't guard. He can't shoot, even spot up shots were horrible, and he can't hit free throws. There is no reason I see to expect him to be an effective 3 and suspect he'll be put at the 4.

Singleton is depth that provides better defense than offense on a team that sorely lacked scoring at the three.

Sorry but I don't like this draft. This team needed efficient scoring and got none. We'll be relying on Nick Young and Blatche for points avian and that's horrible.

If I had to grade the draft it would be a D. Vesely is a 3 but even in Europe they were abusing him with fast SF that he couldn't guard. He can't shoot, even spot up shots were horrible, and he can't hit free throws. There is no reason I see to expect him to be an effective 3 and suspect he'll be put at the 4.

Singleton is depth that provides better defense than offense on a team that sorely lacked scoring at the three.

Sorry but I don't like this draft. This team needed efficient scoring and got none. We'll be relying on Nick Young and Blatche for points avian and that's horrible.

Wow you fail at basketball.

1) It's the Wizards.

2) They drafted defensively minded players, few FAILURE franchises do as much.

What would you expect in one draft with a new owner? Michael Jordan?

Not even the smartest basketball person would grade this a D.

I don't know how anyone can really grade this draft right away. Has anyone seen Jan Vesely play a full game? Hopefully McGee and Vesely have good careers and we don't look ridiculous for not making the deal to get Derrick Williams.

This is how I feel right now as well. I don't understand all the draft love. Nothing about this draft has me excited. Vesely is another athletic freak who does not "fit" into an NBA position. Add him to the list, I feel like the Wiz are overflowing with them. I am tired of freak athletes who can't actually play basketball, and I fear Vesely is going to be one of those guys.

Singleton has me intrigued. We need defense badly. I loved Buttler so I will be rooting for Mack. But I am not convinced either are anything more than end of the line NBA depth.

I pray that I am wrong . . . . . and a lot of the time I am, so who knows.

I don't know how anyone can really grade this draft right away. Has anyone seen Jan Vesely play a full game? Hopefully McGee and Vesely have good careers and we don't look ridiculous for not making the deal to get Derrick Williams.

Exactly, its ludicrous.

We were one of the worst teams in the league, got 3 young talented players, and you want to grade it??? Please.

Wow you fail at basketball.

1) It's the Wizards.

2) They drafted defensively minded players, few FAILURE franchises do as much.

What would you expect in one draft with a new owner? Michael Jordan?

Not even the smartest basketball person would grade this a D.

I hope they turn out to be superstars. I'm a wizards fan.

I have to say though I don't see how a wing player that can't shoot or defend fast wing players in euro leagues meets your description of this draft. Looks to me like we drafted Blatche... With less rebounding, weaker shooting, terrible free throw ability, but more athleticism.

Defense is nice but you still need to score. Who is scoring the basketball for Washington?

Edited by Destino

I'm not totally against the draft. Vesley gives us an athlete that compliments Wall and the fastbreak attack very well. In most years a guy like that isn't great value at 6 but this year in such a weak class you take great athletes where you can. At worst he's Chris Birdman Anderson, but if he can improve on his shooting and bulken/toughen up he could be a better player. Singleton is a lockdown defender who can guard four positions and the fact is we have for a while now been a DREADFUL defensive team. Mack is a good second round pick, he provides scoring but more importantly he provides toughness, leadership, and a winning attitude.

Considering how bad everyone said the draft would be, I think we did okay. I would have still preferred taking Kanter or Williams but if Utah and Minny didn't want to trade what were we supposed to do? I think the goal was to bring in hard working, energetic, smart players to counter the dumb lazy guys we have.

I hope they turn out to be superstars. I don't see how a wing player that can't shoot or defend fast wing players in euro leagues meets your description of this draft. Looks to me like we drafted a less efficient Blatche. Hopefully we get a scoring wing next year as we still lack one.

Defense is nice but you still need to score. Right now that's Blatche, young, and wall and that doesn't inspire me.

No, when you are the worst of the worst in te NBA, have no chance of drafting Kobe, Lebron, or Jordan, your only chance of contending is defense.

They did that tonight.

You don't rebuild one of the worst franchises in all of the NBA for the last THRITY years in one weak draft with a new owner.

We took baby step number 1.

I get it you like defense and I'm fine with the 18th pick used on depth and defense. Vesely however is not a great defender. He's a raw athlete.

McGee Seraphin

Blatche Vesely

Lewis Booker Singleton

Young Mack

Wall Crawford

You really see terrific defense there? We have last years starting squad and none if these picks are likely to start at all.

I get it you like defense and I'm fine with the 18th pick used on depth and defense. Vesely however is not a great defender. He's a raw athlete.

McGee Seraphin

Blatche Vesely

Lewis Booker Singleton

Young Mack

Wall Crawford

You really see terrific defense there? We have last years starting squad and none if these picks are likely to start at all.

No stick with me....

One of the worst teams in the league for 30 years.

Arguably the worst team in the league last year.

New owner.

Horrible roster.

Weak draft.

No single player that is a franchise player.

What did you expect?

They got 3 solid picks out of a laughable draft with a franchise that is in a laughable state.

Call me when the next Lebron/Kobe/Jordan is manufactured out of this draft. Who would you have chosen instead?

You don't fix AWFULL overnight. Yes, we are awfull.

Vesley can shoot from range and he can dunk. His 3 ball numbers were actually pretty incredible given the rest of his %s. He'll be a scorer in the NBA. The question is how soon will that happen and what is our offense going to look like with him early on.

McGee's clownish triple oop comment actually raises a point. This is going to be a ridiculous dunking team. Lots of offensive finishers. Lots of above the rim ability. Lots of screen and roll/pop if we're smart.

Vesely's defensive ineptitude isn't as cut and dry as you make it seem Destino. From what I've read, it's an issue of awareness rather than ability. He doesn't think on his feet on defense yet but I think he's absolutley quick and athletic and lengthy enough to play good defense. Blake Griffin isn't a good defender by any stretch. But would I bet on that being the case 4 or 5 seasons from now? No. Vesely has the advantage of being significantly longer than Griffin (he gets the Kirilienko comparisons because he's white and can jump).

For everyone down on the Vesely pick and this draft class in general I challenge you with this: what would you have done instead? Who would have been your honest picks (if it would have been Kawhi Leonard, admit it)? I can honestly say I wouldn't have picked any differently than we did in the first had I been in charge (my only change had I been the GM would have been to make a dumb pick in the second like Davis Bertans or Josh Selby over Shelvin Mack--guys who ended up going significantly lower). I miiiiiiight have taken Faried over Singleton, but I doubt it. Singleton was the right pick since he's got a surefire NBA position and role and can perform it at an elite level.

So who would everyone have taken instead of Vesely at 6 if you'd had your way? I firmly believe he was the BPA by a very large margin.

Fellas this wasn't a Bruce Allen/Mike Shanahan draft class replete with missed opportunities. This was us maximizing our picks by taking the best available talent that could actually fit.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 01:31 AM ----------

No, when you are the worst of the worst in te NBA, have no chance of drafting Kobe, Lebron, or Jordan, your only chance of contending is defense.

They did that tonight.

You don't rebuild one of the worst franchises in all of the NBA for the last THRITY years in one weak draft with a new owner.

We took baby step number 1.

I agree with most of what you say, but this was step number four or five, not one. Wall, Crawford, Booker, Seraphin were significant positive steps too.

The situation we're in right now is that we've essentially got every role and secondary player we need save for maybe a true backup pivot. Not a big deal there.

We've got facilitating guards who can also shoot and score in a variety of ways. We've got impressive defensive stoppers in Singleton and Booker. We've got offensive finishers, shot blockers in Vesely and McGee. We've got a (milquetoast) scorer in Blatche. We don't necessarily have a big time rebounder but we've got enough guys who are fair to above average rebounders for their positions to make up the difference.

The one thing we don't have is a 22-25 PPG primary (efficient) scorer (so far as we know, I wouldn't count out Crawford from becoming this guy one day). We've got everything now but our second star. Can that be Vesely one day? Crawford? I don't know.

Yeah I was on board with Vesely from jump street (when an accepted draft board became clear). Both me and BRAVEONAWARPATH. Personally I loved this draft. Were there players I had ahead of Veselyy and Singleton? Absolutely. But given the hand we were dealt, I couldn't be happier. Like I said many, many, many times: go highest upside top 10, go Kawhi Leonard/Trevor Booker/Chris Singleton, gritty, hardworking, blue collar, hustle-type players in the bottom half of the 1st. That's exactly what we did.

Not a fan of the Mack pick though. I desperately wanted Honeycutt there--who of course went one pick later. But the 2nd round in the NBA is like throwing darts blindfolded so whatever. Has minimal impact on my overall feeling of our draft and the job Ernie did.

Two btw's:

1. Don't know if it's been posted yet, but Ted was interviewed on 106:7 shortly after the Singleton pick. He essentially said that Minny wanted 6, 18 and next years 1st for the #2. They actively explored moving up but that the asking price was absurdly high.

2. The draft "party" at the Phonebooth was kinda lame and especially annoying. Instead of showing the draft, they were doing Big Tigger and "*random fan* from Manassas" interviews. They'd flip over for our picks and most of the time that was it. I emailed Ted while we were there begging him to get that bull**** taken care of, but I guess he wasn't checking his emails until he got home--according to him in that same 106.7 intervew. (Btw ACW, I didn't blow you off. It was a last min invitation and I found a way to get out of work early. I made it barely in time for the Vesely pick.)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Everyone seems to forget how good John Wall should be in year two. He was a good player last year, he'll be even smarter in transition with more finishers to run with and dish to. His shot will only improve, Crawford can only become more efficient, and Blatche and Young have already showed they can put up the points on any given night.

THE JOHN AND JAN SHOW (it rhymes)

But if Jan is soft and/or terrible I will be referring to him as Janice on these here boards.

There's not much in life that amuses me more than the burning passion of casual fans.

Edit: not directed at you Evan. Just finally reading through the last couple days woth of posts in this thread and getting a good chuckle.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

On Vesesly's GF: http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2011/6/23/2240803/jan-veselys-girlfriend-eva-viteckova

Eva Kodouskova

6-3 (:yikes: )

Also played hoops.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 05:50 AM ----------

(Btw ACW, I didn't blow you off. It was a last min invitation and I found a way to get out of work early. I made it barely in time for the Vesely pick.)
'salright :cheers: