Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yi isn't gonna be back, is he? Add one more draft with a high draft pick and this is going to be a homegrown contender, the antithesis to the Miami Cheat. Since it's the offseason, I've started to look ahead to the '12 draft. What are the prospects we should be looking at? I see this draft is heavy on forwards, both SF and PF. Does our selection of Vesely rule out picking up a Barnes or Gilchrist?

Also, Imagine this lineup:

Wall

Young

Vesely

Perry Jones

Javale McGee

I don't think I've ever seen a more athletic lineup, especially the front court.

I think Vesely could be a PF if he improves his rebounding and adds more size. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting one of the top pure SF prospects.

I actually think that Vesely's future role on this team is that of a highly skilled PF. He is athletic for the SF spot, but at the PF spot, he pretty much beats almost all but a few PF's in terms of physical ability.

I think Vesely could be a PF if he improves his rebounding and adds more size. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting one of the top pure SF prospects.

I actually think that Vesely's future role on this team is that of a highly skilled PF. He is athletic for the SF spot, but at the PF spot, he pretty much beats almost all but a few PF's in terms of physical ability.

I think you can draft a SF in 2012 if he's BPA. Most of the top college forwards can play both spots anyway. There are some good swingmen too. Vesely has the length to play both forward positions.

I think it's a good idea to get guys who can play multiple positions well. When you look at our roster, that's the case with almost all of our players, none of whom are reall pigeonholed into one position except for JaVale.

Several of the best guys in the next class are multiposition players:

- P Jones can play both forward spots

- Gilchrist is a Joe Johnson like swingman that can also play point forward

- Quincy Miller is long and fast enough to play both forward spots

- Ditto for Anthony Davis

- Probably the case for James McAdoo as well

Barnes might be able to play PF but I wouldn't count on it. He's not a swingman type because he's not a great ball handler and doesn't always shoot well off the dribble. He might be a pure SF which limits his value somewhat. Sullinger is a pure PF in the NBA in the vein of Kevin Love/Luis Scola. We could pick him if he's the BPA and cover him up defensively.

---------- Post added June-26th-2011 at 03:05 PM ----------

Right now, the guys I want the most from next year's class are Quincy Miller, Anthony Davis, or Michael Gilchrist. Miller and Davis have star potential IMO. They could be 25 PPG forwards. Gilchrist looks like a guy who can get 20, 5, and 5 and play shut down defense and take over a leadership role in the locker room.

---------- Post added June-26th-2011 at 03:30 PM ----------

Apparently Quincy Miller is really close to John Wall and Wall acted as a mentor to him on the AAU circuit. I bet they'd play well together.

Davis and Gilchrist will have the Kentucky and Calipari connection with Wall too.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=6696823

Nick Young, SG, Washington Wizards

No statistic tends to be overvalued in free agency more than scoring, so Young's gaudy average of 17.4 points per game last season figures to catch the eye of some team. Young's scoring substantially overstates his value. His efficiency actually wasn't bad; he made 38.7 percent of his 3-point attempts and shot 81.6 percent from the foul line. Add in how rarely Young turned the ball over, and he was an above-average scorer.

The problem is that Young doesn't provide a team anything but points. He's a poor rebounder for a shooting guard, and just three regular players at the position handed out assists less frequently. Add in Young's indifferent effort on defense, and he's the NBA equivalent of a candy bar: all empty calories. Even in his breakout campaign, he rated below replacement level.

I disagree with what he says about Young's defense. He's an average defender at worst.

Also, the passing doesn't offset his value as a scorer when you've got a true facilitating PG. He is what he is, a true SG who thrives best in catch and shoot situations but has enough athleticism and ball handling skills to create his own shots when need be.

I don't know what I'd do with Young. I wish we had the ability to trade him.

I think Crawford is a better player with higher potential and I'd make him my long term starting SG if the choice is between the two.

Next year's lottery is probably the last time we'll pick in that range. SG could very well be the BPA when we pick and I don't want to be in a situation where we have to try and move NY going into year two of a four year deal.

He's got value for our team and a clearly defined role, but that's not to say he can't be upgraded. I wouldn't go over 5 to 6 million a year for him and I'd try and get the deal in a 3 year range or so.

I don't know what I'd do with Young. I wish we had the ability to trade him.

I think Crawford is a better player with higher potential and I'd make him my long term starting SG if the choice is between the two.

Next year's lottery is probably the last time we'll pick in that range. SG could very well be the BPA when we pick and I don't want to be in a situation where we have to try and move NY going into year two of a four year deal.

He's got value for our team and a clearly defined role, but that's not to say he can't be upgraded. I wouldn't go over 5 to 6 million a year for him and I'd try and get the deal in a 3 year range or so.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think the Wizards will be picking in the top 10 in next years draft. Unless there is a full season lockout, which I wouldn't be too mad about.

Each day that has passed, I have liked the Wizards draft even more. I call this draft, The Compliment Draft. The players we drafted might not been the sexiest pick, but each one could bring that thing that separates the good teams from the great teams. Especially Singleton, I think dude will be a nice player off the bench for us.

Yeah I wouldn't give Young more than $5 mil a year. He's a RFA so we can match any offer he receives and I highly doubt a mostly one dimensional SG will get offered much more than that, especially considering the NBA is likely to adopt a hard cap soon. I like him better as a starter than Crawford though, Craw is perfect for the 6th man job.

The Nick Young hate really boggles my mind. He was quite literally our only good offensive option last year, and yet he managed to have good efficiency numbers across the board. And this is your supposed "chucker", "black hole", "awful teammate".

He does everything you want your complimentary SG to do. He's an excellent three point shooter, he knows how to work around multiple screens, and he can catch and shoot. Big ****ing deal he can't pass. That's why we drafted a PG #1 overall. Anyone who says his defensive sucks hasn't watched a Wizards game in the last two years. He's not a great defender, but he's by far better than anyone on the roster in terms of fighting through screens and contesting shots. On almost any given night last year, he managed to match his counterparts production, or do better.

How about the fact that he brings his A game against superstars? He seems to have huge games against the leagues best and shines in those moments.

Jordan Crawford will be a very good player himself. But there is no ****ing way I let Nick Young walk in FA unless some desperate team is giving up 7 million a season. He's as good as any complimentary SG in the league.

Edited by No Excuses

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think the Wizards will be picking in the top 10 in next years draft. Unless there is a full season lockout, which I wouldn't be too mad about.

Each day that has passed, I have liked the Wizards draft even more. I call this draft, The Compliment Draft. The players we drafted might not been the sexiest pick, but each one could bring that thing that separates the good teams from the great teams. Especially Singleton, I think dude will be a nice player off the bench for us.

If we pick outside the top 10 next season, then we should be making arrangements to move back into it. I want a top 8 pick.

Barkley thinks it'll be a year long lockout and Barkley is sagely accurate. It's something we should probably start preparing ourselves for as fans.

But I'm not sure an extended lockout will ensure we pick in the top 8. It'll depend on the system the NBA implements to determine lottery chances.

I wonder how the draft is going to be structured? Remember the NHL draft in 2005 used a pretty weird format that could offer a model for the NBA for the 2012 draft.

Per wikipedia:

As a lockout cancelled the 2004–05 NHL season, the draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick. The draft was only seven rounds in length, compared to nine rounds in years past. The labor dispute caused the shortened draft.

The Capitals ended up only getting one ball because of Ovechkin the year before and they had made the playoffs in 2002-2003, and ended up with the 14th pick under this lottery format.

Ostensibly, we might get screwed from having John Wall in 2010, but we haven't made the playoffs during the span in question, so we'd keep our second ball.

Using the NHL's format, this is the lottery chances of each franchise:

Three balls:

Minnesota (traded to the Clippers), Sacramento, Golden State, New Jersey, Toronto

Two balls;

Detroit, Indiana, New York, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Washington, Phoenix, Los Angeles Clippers, Houston, Memphis

One Ball:

Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Denver, Utah, Portland, Oklahoma City, Los Angeles Lakers, New Orleans, Dallas, San Antonio

So if everything plays out according to chance in this system, we could end up picking anywhere from 6th to 15th. Honestly that blows. We'd pick higher than 15th if we played the season.

This kind of lottery format benefits the good teams far more than the bad teams since it gives them a chance at lottery picks they would have had 0 chance of lucking into otherwise. And with Stern's questionable handling of the lotteries, I wouldn't trust the Lakers not getting a top 3 pick.

Also, teams that have picked in the top 2 or 3 during this span should also be penalized more, not just the ones that have picked first.

Or you could just take the first overall selections penalty out of the equation. It only affects us and the Clippers. We've finished at the bottom of the EC once, second from last once, and third from last once in the three year span in question. That's worse than anyone else. Teams like the Warriors shouldn't be picking ahead of us, and the Suns, Rockets, and Knicks shouldn't have equal chances at picking high as we do.

I hope the NBA comes up with a better lottery format than the NHL did in a full season lockout situation. And teams like the Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, Heat, Celtics, Bulls, Thunder, Magic, etc. should have 0 chance of picking first overall (or in the top 10 for that matter).

I'd be happy with a system that keeps us picking in the top 6 and I think we deserve to do so based on our past three years.

I think we're somewhere between 30 and 33 wins next season if the whole thing is played. That'd probably have us picking 8-10 under normal circumstances.

It's unclear whether playing or being locked out would benefit us more for the 2012 draft.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 10:00 AM ----------

Did you all know that veseli means joyful in Czech and Serbian? Just got that from wikipedia. Jan's surname definitely fits him.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 10:12 AM ----------

Here's what Vesely said in an interview about his contract situation with Partizan Belgrade: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/01/jan-vesely-i-will-enter-the-nba-draft/

SLAM: What is your contract situation like? Is there any buyout?

JV: I’m under contract with Partizan until 2013. It all depends on the arrangement between Partizan with a new club from the NBA or from Europe.

I'm guessing he'll play in Partizan next season if there is a lockout, which will be good for him. If not, then I suspect we'll try and buy him out. Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we let him play in Serbia next season anyway (and might also help us keep a few wins off the board in our quest for a final lottery pick).

Some more interesting tidbits from that interview:

SLAM: What position do you see yourself in the NBA: small forward or power forward?

JV: Power forward.

SLAM: If you had to compare yourself to any NBA player, who would it be?

JV: It is hard for me to compare myself to any player who has been in the NBA. Maybe I could say Dirk Nowitzki of Dallas. I like his style of play a lot.

Ummm, Jan I don't see it.

Anyway I think Jan is on to something about PF being his destination in the NBA. He'll need to add a lot of strength but the length and post up game are good indicators of where he'll settle in offensively. If he learns to shoot, he'll be a really nice inside out weapon. I think it might be a slow process for him though. It's going to take a while for him to shape his body and to become a decent spot up shooter.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au6a4Rn3_7ksVM_HylZlEOw5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_nba_draft_labor_war062511

Stern steers NBA toward chaos

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Jun 24, 4:51 am EDT

NEWARK, N.J. – When David Stern tried to tell everyone goodbye at the NBA draft on Thursday night, even his childhood roots couldn’t spare the commissioner a public proclamation on the state of his stewardship. Here rumbled a barrage of boos for the son of New Jersey, the end of the NBA draft’s first round bleeding into the beginning of a long, hot summer of the commissioner’s condescending labor lectures.

Just one year ago, Stern ducked out of the draft, shuffled to the side and let LeBron James(notes) light the match to the most unforgettable, unimaginable summer and season the sport’s ever seen. Never bigger, never bolder, never more perfect for this imperfect reality television world.

Now, a year later, everything comes tumbling down. This draft was the beginning of the end for a golden time in the NBA, where the suspense was over where a 6-foot guard out of Glens Falls, N.Y., would go and whether Minnesota’s general manager could sell off enough draft picks to pay the buyout package on his 32-132 coach. The draft had crossed the Hudson River to Jersey, leaving Madison Square Garden for Newark, and it felt like the sport itself would keep heading south too.

Stern has brought the sport into an unnecessarily dark and ominous place. He has let too many incompetent owners buy into the NBA, and helped them thrust too many incompetent management teams into marching themselves back to the top of the lottery year after year.

The lockout’s coming, and the NBA can thank Stern for it. He no longer leads the owners, but gets led. He’s lost his autonomy to operate, lost his ability to be sensible, understated and conciliatory. There ought to be givebacks in these talks with the players, but Stern has let the fringe element of NBA ownership dictate policy for the masses. He doesn’t want a second lockout on his Hall of Fame plaque, but it’s coming and the burden belongs on him.

He can’t sell compromise, and he can’t sell good-faith negotiations to his ownership. The owners wanted this lockout, which they’ve carefully orchestrated. They’re determined to break the NBA’s union, and that’s clearly become the commissioner’s mandate now. The owners could’ve agreed to real revenue sharing, and the collective bargaining agreement would’ve been signed months ago. Stern can’t sell it, and the sport will suffer something fierce for it.

Stern is no longer the sport’s leader, its moral compass, but the errand boy of the fringe owners. He’ll walk into a hotel board room on Friday morning with what will probably be a brief, contentious meeting that’ll empty out with players and owners all agreeing: There isn’t enough time between today and June 30 to close the gap.

Stern’s deputy commissioner, Adam Silver, had the most patronizing of lines in the NBA playoffs, suggesting how the fact that James and Dwyane Wade(notes) would be getting 10 percent raises next year, and how with revenues growing only 4 percent, this was evidence of how well the system worked for the players. Hey, James is the reason Silver gets to wear such nice suits on Stern’s private charters, the reason buildings are full, television ratings robust and the reason merchandise leaves the shelves.

“This has never been a partnership,” Derek Fisher(notes) told me the other day, and that’s never been so true in the NBA. The gulf between owners and players has grown nastier, more distant, and Stern’s set the tone for it. After all, he walked into the locker room with the players at All-Star weekend, and menacingly reminded them he knew where the bodies were buried, because he had buried so many himself.

This was Stern doing what he does best: Lording over the sport through intimidation and bullying. You’ll see his smug indignation all summer long. This lockout gives Stern the stage as the sport’s biggest star, something he loves, because his proposal to the players would guarantee that he’d be the highest-paid player in the NBA.

The NBA goes away now, and goes away for a long time. The final sound at the end of the draft’s first round will resonate over a long, hot summer – and maybe a winter – without basketball. This time a year ago, there was a Lakers championship with Kobe Bryant(notes), the summer of LeBron and a season of spectacular drama. Now, there was David Stern marching out of the boos of draft night, and into the boos of the board room.

He couldn’t sell the owners, couldn’t sell the players, and he can no longer sell the public. Here comes the summer of the NBA’s emperor, the lockout to end basketball lockouts. Tough Jersey guy buried all the bodies here, and now he comes to bury his sport. His legacy on the line, his fault.

I think BPA was the factor there. Mack can shoot pretty well (which we needed) and he can also handle the ball for stretches when we need him to. We had him graded as a first round pick.

I really liked some of Honeycutt's skills but I'm just not sure he had an NBA body GACOLB. He couldn't even do a single rep at the combine and they only lift 185. I think I'm stronger than he is (and that is definitely not good for a pro athlete).

You can build a better body. You can't build natural basketball skills.

More on Vesely

Comparing where Jan Vesely ranked in various situational stat categories with his NCAA peers doesn't make a great deal of sense considering how different European basketball is with the college game, but it still sheds some interesting insight onto his profile.

Vesely's usage rate ranks last amongst this group of players at just 10 possessions per game, which hints at the fairly limited role he played offensively for Partizan Belgrade this year.

He rarely, if ever, was asked to go out and create his own shot on his own, seeing just 2.8% of his offense in isolation situations, which ranks 15th of the 18 players in this study, ahead of Malcolm Thomas and Matthew Bryan-Amaning, but nevertheless ranked as the 5th most turnover prone, coughing the ball up on 15% of his possessions.

By contrast, 25% of his possessions came in spot-up situations, which puts him near the top in this category after Robin Benzing (39%), Chandler Parsons (26.2%) and Justin Harper (25.5%).

He was not terribly effective as a jump-shooter, though, garnering .78 points per shot he attempted, 5th worst in this group—almost all of which in catch and shoot situations.

On the other hand, Vesely's athleticism shines through with the way he was able to convert opportunities around the basket, shooting 74% from the field in these situations, first in this group.

Not surprisingly, Vesely ranks amongst the most effective finishers off cuts (3rd), offensive rebounds (2nd), post-ups (3rd) and in transition (6th).

He was also able to draw free throws at the third highest rate (on 19.4% of his possessions) in this study, trailing just Derrick Williams and Jimmy Butler.

If Vesely can shore up his ball-handling and perimeter shooting ability, he has all the makings of an incredibly versatile player.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/#ixzz1QUCnCjdW

He really needs to improve his FT shooting as much as he gets to the line. Everything about his game screams PF except for the fact that his rebounding rate is so poor. He's not a good defensive rebounder and he needs to work on this, maybe even more so than his ball handling and outside game. He also needs someone to work with him on passing in the block since the carelessness and freewheeling attitude with the ball will be an issue down the line. He's a flashy player, too flashy when it comes to passing.

Ted Leonsis

Sometimes the Best Decision is No Decision

I think we were wise in using all of our picks. Trading up at this point in time and losing picks was really not a good option for us.

We are still at that point in our development where we need an infusion of talent and lots of it.

I think the reviews of our last two drafts have been quite good. The Wizards have one of the youngest teams in the league now.

We will now shift to development; coaching; systems; and retention of this core group of young talent.

We will look to continuous improvement and to adding vets via trade and free agency as next steps.

http://www.tedstake.com/2011/06/25/sometimes-the-best-decision-is-no-decision/

The Nick Young hate really boggles my mind. He was quite literally our only good offensive option last year, and yet he managed to have good efficiency numbers across the board. And this is your supposed "chucker", "black hole", "awful teammate".

He does everything you want your complimentary SG to do. He's an excellent three point shooter, he knows how to work around multiple screens, and he can catch and shoot. Big ****ing deal he can't pass. That's why we drafted a PG #1 overall. Anyone who says his defensive sucks hasn't watched a Wizards game in the last two years. He's not a great defender, but he's by far better than anyone on the roster in terms of fighting through screens and contesting shots. On almost any given night last year, he managed to match his counterparts production, or do better.

How about the fact that he brings his A game against superstars? He seems to have huge games against the leagues best and shines in those moments.

Jordan Crawford will be a very good player himself. But there is no ****ing way I let Nick Young walk in FA unless some desperate team is giving up 7 million a season. He's as good as any complimentary SG in the league.

I will take this one step further. I have seen so much love for the Wizards draft, but this team doesn't have any shooters outside of Nick Young. As it currently stands, we will definitely be back in the top 10 of the lottery because teams will pack the paint and force this team to shoot bricks from the outside. Being athletic on the fast break is great, but it only amounts to a fraction of the points needed to win a game.

I will take this one step further. I have seen so much love for the Wizards draft, but this team doesn't have any shooters outside of Nick Young. As it currently stands, we will definitely be back in the top 10 of the lottery because teams will pack the paint and force this team to shoot bricks from the outside. Being athletic on the fast break is great, but it only amounts to a fraction of the points needed to win a game.

I'm hoping we develop one and find one in free agency. (I know- hope in one hand and crap in the other, right?)

How much would you all be willing to spend to keep NY then?

I'd keep 6 million as the cut off line. Five million would be ideal. I could see him signing for 4.5 million, with maybe escalation in the back end of his deal. Though I would like a front loaded contract. Give him 6 or maybe even 6.5 million in the first year or two of his deal and have it go down substantially in the latter half of it.

How much would you all be willing to spend to keep NY then?

Depends on what happens with the lock out. If the amnesty clause is included the new CBA and it frees the cap space of Rashard Lewis' contract, maybe I pay a little more on a shorter contract. That still gives the Wiz massive cap space.

I am really hoping for the Amnesty Clause even if it helps out Orlando a lot too. It would give the Wiz a chance to add a young all-star and veteran role players to become a contender soon than later.

Edited by Hersh

I'd keep 6 million as the cut off line. Five million would be ideal. I could see him signing for 4.5 million, with maybe escalation in the back end of his deal. Though I would like a front loaded contract. Give him 6 or maybe even 6.5 million in the first year or two of his deal and have it go down substantially in the latter half of it.

If you're front loading the deal then you could certainly go to 7 million in the first year or two. We don't have anything else to spend the money on right now. Most of our good players are still near the beginning of their rookie deals and we're not an attractive FA destination yet and probably won't be until at least 2012 or 2013.

How many years would you all want to do? Three would be my first choice. Four would be OK too if the contract is front heavy.

I think it's likely we'll retain Young judging by Ted's comments about switching the focus to development and retention. I can't see Young commanding tons of value on the open market because he doesn't even have a full year of starts under his belt and he was buried on a bad team last year. He seems best off here anyway given his skill set. He needs a good PG to maximize his shooting.

I'm not at all opposed to keeping NY the player. I think he fills a valuable role on the team. I just don't want to tie up a ton of cap space with him when our rookie deals start expiring.

I also think Crawford is going to be a better player than NY once his shooting %s come up and I'm not sure I'd start NY over him.

Regardless, our weakness at the 3 ensures NY will get lots of minutes the next season even if he doesn't start. Singleton himself is a role player come off the bench type and Vesely will probably get most of his minutes at PF early on.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 01:36 PM ----------

I said that I doubt there would be much of a market for NY but I just looked at some deals for shooters and I think there are probably enough dumb GMs out there to drive NYs price up into the 7 - 8 million a year range. J.J. Redick makes 7 million a year despite the fact he's a backup shooting specialist whose career high is 10.1 PPG. Kyle Korver makes 5 million a year. Corey Maggette makes over 9 million a year. John Salmons makes over 8 million a year. Hedo Turkoglu makes over 10. Ummm... these contracts are absurd.

What NY is worth probably won't enter into the decision making process. He'll likely command far more than he's worth given how bad NBA GMs are at FA spending.

Those are absurd contracts. And NBA teams know this. I think, for the most part, outside of reaching on max-deals for borderline players, you've seen teams shift away form giving out ridiculous contracts.

But whatever. None of this matters. There will be no NBA next year.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 01:36 PM ----------

I said that I doubt there would be much of a market for NY but I just looked at some deals for shooters and I think there are probably enough dumb GMs out there to drive NYs price up into the 7 - 8 million a year range. J.J. Redick makes 7 million a year despite the fact he's a backup shooting specialist whose career high is 10.1 PPG. Kyle Korver makes 5 million a year. Corey Maggette makes over 9 million a year. John Salmons makes over 8 million a year. Hedo Turkoglu makes over 10. Ummm... these contracts are absurd.

What NY is worth probably won't enter into the decision making process. He'll likely command far more than he's worth given how bad NBA GMs are at FA spending.

I read somewhere that Luke Walton is still on his 6yr 30mil deal from the lakers

it boggles the mind