Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Remember Rip for Stackhouse? This would be that all over again only with the potential to be an even worse trade.

And don't get me wrong, don't take this as me thinking you or anyone else who wants trade Bradley is stupid. We all have our difference of opinions on this and you're all pretty smart dudes. I just see this as history repeating itself. I wouldn't trade Oubre, Porter or Beal and Wall is untouchable. They're the foundation for this roster. All we need is an good big man and we'll be on our way.

One could also say that signing the oft-injured Beal to a max contract would be history repeating itself. Remember Gilbert Arenas?

• Like 1

I like Beal - he seems like he has some Kobe in him, in a good way.

Beal's got that dog in him.  He's not very animated or physically expressive though so you have watch him close to see it.  Wall does too but with John you can't miss it. 

Remember Rip for Stackhouse? This would be that all over again only with the potential to be an even worse trade.

And don't get me wrong, don't take this as me thinking you or anyone else who wants trade Bradley is stupid. We all have our difference of opinions on this and you're all pretty smart dudes. I just see this as history repeating itself. I wouldn't trade Oubre, Porter or Beal and Wall is untouchable. They're the foundation for this roster. All we need is an good big man and we'll be on our way.

It's not so much that I want to trade Bradley. I'm just not sure I want to give him a 5 year deal for a 120m+.

Especially for a guy who says he'll be more than likely be on a minutes restriction for the rest of his career.

One could also say that signing the oft-injured Beal to a max contract would be history repeating itself. Remember Gilbert Arenas?

Major, major difference. Gilbert was coming off of one of the worst knee injuries I've ever seen. That deal was beyond stupid and everyone called it at the time. He was a shell of his former self.

Sorry but I'm not seeing the Rip-Beal comparison at all. Other than being SG's with smooth J's, what's the career similarities?

And who's the Stackhouse to Beal's Rip? Trading Rip in and of itself wasn't a mistake. Trading him for Stackhouse (seriously **** MJ: then, now, forever) was a mistake. Rip was never some top 10 franchise-type player.

Really think you're simplifying all of it way too much.

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

Major, major difference. Gilbert was coming off of one of the worst knee injuries I've ever seen. That deal was beyond stupid and everyone called it at the time. He was a shell of his former self.

But the reasons for signing him remain the same...some variation of "we can't afford not to". Which is wrong. We could've afforded not to then and we can afford not to now.

• Like 1

Otto's game actually reminds me of Rip Hamilton. But he's bigger and more physical and has the potential to be a far better defender.

I think Beal has the potential to be better than Rip, and Rip ended up being an outstanding player in Detroit, especially in his late 20's during those All Star seasons.

I agree with Taylor's point. I'm not interested in watching Beal become an All Star for some other team.

But the reasons for signing him remain the same...some variation of "we can't afford not to". Which is wrong. We could've afforded not to then and we can afford not to now.

This. 

The man has had four stress injuries in the same leg and we already have a franchise player to build around.  I'm not against bringing him back, just don't agree with max to keep him from leaving.  If we're paying Beal for what we believe we'll get out of him, then that deal better involve some incentives like based on games played (which we all know it won't).

If he pulls a Jordan Reed 2015 type year on us, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  To me, It absolutely boils down to him being able to stay healthy.  I'm really trying to stay optimistic here, but reality don't care about that.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Otto's game actually reminds me of Rip Hamilton. But he's bigger and more physical and has the potential to be a far better defender.I think Beal has the potential to be better than Rip, and Rip ended up being an outstanding player in Detroit, especially in his late 20's during those All Star seasons.I agree with Taylor's point. I'm not interested in watching Beal become an All Star for some other team.

Beal plays more like Rip, in my opinion. They both generate consistent offense catching the ball on the run around screens. Rip even had a persistently low PER despite apparently playing well. Neither of them was as effective relying on their first step from a standstill or trying to dribble too much. Being Rip with a better three makes for a great scorer. The major difference is that Beal is stronger through contact, but shorter.

Otto looks more like Rip, that lean long frame, but his game is different. He's better cutting towards the basket off script, with no play being run for him. He just has good instincts for getting open. He's more of a classic off ball player in my opinion, and that will show strongly when his three point shot develops.

Beal and Rip were harder to shut down, even when teams knew what they were doing. I don't think Otto would thrive if the offense ran through him and opponents knew it. He hasn't shown that kind of ability. Beal has proven he's hard to stop already.

This. 

The man has had four stress injuries in the same leg and we already have a franchise player to build around.  I'm not against bringing him back, just don't agree with max to keep him from leaving.  If we're paying Beal for what we believe we'll get out of him, then that deal better involve some incentives like based on games played (which we all know it won't).

If he pulls a Jordan Reed 2015 type year on us, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  To me, It absolutely boils down to him being able to stay healthy.  I'm really trying to stay optimistic here, but reality don't care about that.

This is exactly where i stand.

The Beal to Reed comparison is a really good one. Its funny how much the Reed narrative changed. He is now a dominant top 3-5 TE in the league and we all want him locked up long term to big money.

Beal even when he's been healthy hasn't been great CONSISTENTLY. A great game here and there sure, but he still has inconsistent handles, is turnover prone, and doesn't shoot particularly well from the FT line(for a supposed elite talent anyway).

If the question is give Beal a max or let him go, with no in between, then I'm on the let him go bandwagon. BUT I do believe there is a middle ground we can reach. But he's gotta start playing at a high level with consistency as well.

To be fair, we shot lights out last game and still lost. Randy going to try to win the game with rebounds and defense. The Wall/Beal/Porter/Nene/Gortat is still our top lineup. Outside of maybe the Wall/Beal/Porter/Oubre/Gortat rotation that we have used sparingly.

Randy is throwing **** against the wall at this point, hoping to get lucky. Nene is a ****, but he can still be effectice if used properly. Starting him at the 4 is not a correct way to use him

And i'm tired of being a fan of a team that starts garrett temple