Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So when is a firing going to come?

Not before the end of the season. None of our assistants are really worth giving the job to. Windhorst said the league-think is that we have one of the worst staffs.

Randy's contract is over after the season ends. I could see Ted simply deciding not to extend him if/when we miss the playoffs.

And I can also see Ted giving Randy a one or two year extension if we cobble together a rag tag run to the 8th seed.

At this point, I don't even really care about the playoffs or Kevin Durant. We're so far behind that the best we can hope for is a **** seed and probable first round out. Durant is a pipe dream. I just want a completely new front office and coaching staff. I want a good GM that will hire a strong head coach that can get Wall, Beal, Porter and Oubre playing competitive, consistent, smart basketball. Playing within a system that plays to their strengths and helps them grow into a core that can win.

Sadly, the way to go for these guys are New GM....who picks new HC....who brings in quality assistants. Then the HC and GM talk about the system they will run and go for players that fit it.

Tired or listening to Randy talk post-game about "we didn't do this....." Dude, at some point you need to say "Why am I not getting through to these guys?" or "Are my line-ups/subs/minutes the right combo?"

Search for a new GM will have to come form outside the organization, right?  Caps got lucky w/ GMBM being in McPhee's shadow.  I never knew how truly incompetent McPhee was until that WaPo article exposed some things that went on behind the scenes.  GMBM has been nothing short of fantastic with what he's done with the organization since being hired. 

I just don't know who the Wizards have (in house) that would have the same effect.  Makes me nervous, also. 

New GM is needed badly. Durant is a free agent, there will be more big names available next year, and the Wizards have more expiring deals than otherwise. A good front office could remake the team entirely within 2 seasons. The Wizards should be feeling great about their chances to lure someone here, instead we're hoping someone takes pity on us and wants to help the home team. You know why that is? Because the team isn't lead by someone that believes the Wizards will be great. Ernie doesn't reach for great, he's willing to pay top dollar for just good enough to keep his job.

This team needs a second star, a real one. That's where the plan begins. Ted needs to know that anything less than landing a big fish in the next two off seasons dooms the Wizards. Wall has no reason to stay otherwise. He can make the same money somewhere else. More importantly, Wall seems to feel he's better than the press he's getting. He's fired an agent and he's grumbled about shoes an all star votes. If the Wizards aren't good enough for him to matter in the national conversation and get prime time games...

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2016/1/29/10868702/washington-wizards-general-manager-ernie-grunfeld

The four longest tenured GM's in the NBA are Pat Riley, R.C Buford, Danny Ainge, and Grunfeld. Riley's Heat have won three titles with two other Finals appearances. Since Buford took the helm in San Antonio, the Spurs have won four titles and appeared in another Finals series. Ainge's Celtics have made the Finals twice, winning once. In stark contrast, Grunfeld's Wizards have won just three playoff series since he took control of the team in June of 2003.

During Grunfeld's tenure in DC, there have been 103 50-win seasons by NBA teams (including a few 50-win pace teams during the lockout-shortened 2011-2012 season). The Wizards have zero of those seasons. Grunfeld's Wizards are one of just six franchises without a 50 win season during his tenure. That list will shrink to five this year barring an implosion by the Raptors. The others? Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Brooklyn and Charlotte. Misery loves company.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

New GM is needed badly. Durant is a free agent, there will be more big names available next year, and the Wizards have more expiring deals than otherwise. A good front office could remake the team entirely within 2 seasons. The Wizards should be feeling great about their chances to lure someone here, instead we're hoping someone takes pity on us and wants to help the home team. You know why that is? Because the team isn't lead by someone that believes the Wizards will be great. Ernie doesn't reach for great, he's willing to pay top dollar for just good enough to keep his job.

This team needs a second star, a real one. That's where the plan begins. Ted needs to know that anything less than landing a big fish in the next two off seasons dooms the Wizards. Wall has no reason to stay otherwise. He can make the same money somewhere else. More importantly, Wall seems to feel he's better than the press he's getting. He's fired an agent and he's grumbled about shoes an all star votes. If the Wizards aren't good enough for him to matter in the national conversation and get prime time games...

New GM: Troy Weaver OKC.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Durant isn't leaving OKC next year, he would be a fool to do so.

Fool why?  Taking turns running ISO plays in OKC isn't going to get him a title and he can make as much money somewhere else but only if he leaves now.  There are many landing spots that improve his chances in the Eastern conference and he could always decide to join the Warriors and basically make the whole league want to quit life.  

I don't think he'll come here and enjoy the mediocre life that Ernie has to offer but I think he's a fool if he stays.  OKC hit their ceiling when they got handled by the Heat in the finals. 

• Like 2

and that was after saying some despicable **** about the Flint water situation.

he makes it impossible to embrace him

Embrace him?  That guy is committed to being a jerk and has been for years.  Keeping him at arms length is still too close for comfort.

• Like 2

Fool why?  Taking turns running ISO plays in OKC isn't going to get him a title and he can make as much money somewhere else but only if he leaves now.  There are many landing spots that improve his chances in the Eastern conference and he could always decide to join the Warriors and basically make the whole league want to quit life.  

I don't think he'll come here and enjoy the mediocre life that Ernie has to offer but I think he's a fool if he stays.  OKC hit their ceiling when they got handled by the Heat in the finals. 

Because the collective bargaining agreement or whatever gets him a better deal if he stays put.  So if he signs a two year deal where he is with an opt out after 1, he can get a much better max deal after that. 

Because the collective bargaining agreement or whatever gets him a better deal if he stays put.  So if he signs a two year deal where he is with an opt out after 1, he can get a much better max deal after that. 

Assuming the players union or the owners don't opt out in 2017 or that nothing changes.  You also have to consider the Nike deal of which we do not know the details but we do know royalties are involved.  The more popular Durant gets, the more shoes he sells, the more he makes.  That deal can pay more than any NBA contract so Durant has more than just bragging rights at stake.  Durant's star has fallen, where he was once "perhaps the best player in the league" he is now rarely mentioned with the discussion mostly centering on Lebron and Curry. 

Durant's decision is not easy and none of us know what his priorities are. 

Durant's decision is not easy and none of us know what his priorities are. 

Well I would bet his priority is to win a championship.  That said, signing a one year deal and staying put leaves him a better opportunity with a great free agency crop the following year to assemble his dream team like lebron.  Maybe his star has fallen, but he is still a max player.

Well I would bet his priority is to win a championship.  That said, signing a one year deal and staying put leaves him a better opportunity with a great free agency crop the following year to assemble his dream team like lebron.  Maybe his star has fallen, but he is still a max player.

I also think this is his priority, but I don't see how staying in OKC would give him the best opportunity to attain it. There is no guarantee they keep Westbrook when his contract is up, and even with him they can't get past San Antonio, Golden State, and likely the Clippers too. They are where Houston is, a team with good talent but not good enough in the Western Conference. He should go to the East, it doesn't have to be DC, but he could join quite a few teams in the easier conference and have a better shot at getting into the Finals. 

I wouldn't be so sure OKC won't win a title this season. They are really damn good this year, and Durant is just now getting his legs back under him.

As for money, Durant can make the advantage OKC gets from being able to offer a fifth year moot by signing a one year deal wherever he ends up.

And in fact, I don't see why he wouldn't do this. Sign a one year deal, wait for the cap to jump by another huge percentage in the summer of 2017, he gets his tenth year of veterancy and thus becomes elegible for a 35% max contract. Plus is able to sign for five years with whoever he played for that season. It's what I'd do if I were him. Give me a year to try things out before I make the long term commitment. Also gives me LeBron-like leverage with my team for that year.

• Like 1

I also think this is his priority, but I don't see how staying in OKC would give him the best opportunity to attain it. There is no guarantee they keep Westbrook when his contract is up, and even with him they can't get past San Antonio, Golden State, and likely the Clippers too. They are where Houston is, a team with good talent but not good enough in the Western Conference. He should go to the East, it doesn't have to be DC, but he could join quite a few teams in the easier conference and have a better shot at getting into the Finals.

OKC is a lot better than Houston and LA this season. Through the half way point, they are in the elite tier with GS and SA, ahead of Cleveland. They're third in SRS and are on pace for a 60 win season. Both Durant and Westbrook are having MVP caliber seasons and will probably finish top five in voting. They're built to succeed in the playoffs too. Lots of seasoning. Two of the top four players in the game, high quality role players behind them, a big and deep front court that can match up with SA and has a 6MOY type player in Kanter.

OKC is far, far better than us and the only real destination that'd be closer to getting him a championship is Golden State.

Houston, OTOH, is scuffling around .500. Dwight is in rapid decline and Harden is a lesser player than Westbrook, Curry, or Durant. The Clippers are hanging in there based on the strength of their Griffin/Paul/Jordan big three and Redick has been very good. But that team is completely hollow around those four. They have the worst quality of role players and bench players of any of the good teams. None of their stars are as good as Westbrook or Durant either. Doc Rivers has been a horrible GM too. There have been rumblings about blowing it up.

Good urgency and ball movement so far. Good defense too.

Epic battle tonight between the two most disappointing teams in the league.

Houston is at least on track for the playoffs. I'd say it's between us and New Orleans as the most depressing teams of the year.

John got away with a travel there. Happened so fast I don't think the refs had time to process it. Didn't even hear a reaction from the crowd like you usually do.