Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Johns jumper is broken right now. He's barely drawing iron outside of 12 feet.

He's pulling up for 16 footers without a conscience.  Puts him in a shooting funk for the rest of the night when he takes a couple of those in the first quarter and misses.

This team just has no confidence right now.  You can see them always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Even during that small win streak we hit.  Been a **** year where nothing has gone right.

Injuries play a role. But Randy maxed out last year. He's still what his record as a HC says. He's a .398 coach. You could say he's had some really bad teams. Fine.....bump that up .10 and it's still not .500.

The system they are trying to run this year isn't working and it's killing them on D.

Something that is being discussed now is "Who will give Luke Walton a NBA HC gig?".  think that's a fair question. I mean, the team he was coaching just won the title and seems to run on auto-pilot. But, how much of a role did he play in coaching that team to this point and keeping it this way with Kerr out? He's got to be in mid-30's. would you do it?

Besides that. are there other coaching/GM candidates that you would prefer here?

I think our roster needs a sheriff. It lacks the natural leadership to cruise like Golden State's, which gets fantastic leadership from Iggy, Curry, Green, Bogut, etc.

John does what he can, but he's too young and he's not a transcendent enough player and leader to do this on his own anyway. He needs partners in leadership and he gets no help from our most credible vets, Nene and Gortat. Nene is aloof and spends most of his time complaining about his injuries and Gortat is not a leader. Just as likely to slip into a mental funk if he's not playing well and withdraw in on himself. Beal has the fire to help, but he's too young and inconsistent and he's been hurt too much this season to be present night in and night out. Otto and Oubre are too young too, they're basically just concerned about growing their game and solidifying minutes for themselves. Dudley is our closest facsimile to vet leadership, and he's a journeyman.

This team doesn't believe in itself any more and there isn't enough accountability and veteran talent and experience for them to reach their potential this season. Before now we had a more engaged and credible Nene, a Trevor Ariza, an Emeka Okafor, and a Paul Pierce. Those guys were huge for us in the locker room. We need to get several more players like that.

So long story short, I think we need an experienced and talented coach with major credibility.

Ours should be an attractive head coaching gig.

I actually wouldn't mind a Thibs or a David Blatt. Thibs I'm a little lukewarm on, because I think he runs his players into the ground. But Blatt would be interesting, as I don't think John would geld him and doom him like LeBron did.

Zach Lowe and Brian Windhorst talk Wizards: Coaching, potential trades, and more

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2016/1/27/10837210/zach-lowe-and-brian-windhorst-talk-wizards-coaching-potential-trades

If you look at their coaching bench, they don't really have anybody who is a natural fit to step in there. I've heard from other people in the league who describe it as one of the weakest coaching staffs in the league. Fair or not fair, that's what people have said.

more from the link.

I don't know too much about NBA coaches. But I know I'm not real high on Thibs. Blatt is interesting as his resume seems to be the type of coach players like and he gets the best out of them.

Problem is, Ernie won't get rid of Witt and Ted won't get rid of Ernie. So there's the problem.

• Like 1

It's hard to watch, as somebody who is not a die-hard pro basketball fan to begin with.  I've cheered for the Bullets/Wiz all my life growing up not far from the Cap Center.  I've just never been all-in on pro ball to where I must watch every game and follow what little coverage there is for this team relentlessly.  I enjoyed the Gilbert years and they definitely had my attention.

With that said, last season started hot then cooled off and picked back up again.  But throughout it all, I felt like I was being converted into a bigger fan. They were entertaining, had leadership and more often than not were always in it.

This group, injuries or not, just looks dead over half of the time and its just hard to watch.  My hats off to the few of you that still watch every game.  Its painful. 

I'm not sure what the answer is at this point, but I'm not seeing any signs of life that lead me to believe this team is an injury away from winning more games and being competitive in the East.  I'm starting to wonder what the heck I was smoking to believe this roster even with full health was in contention for one of the top 4 seeds.

That's brutal. I think the league-think about the coaching staff is probably correct.

And I think the reason our lousy season has, as Lowe noted, gone under the radar, is because our team operates in anonymity. I'm a broken record about this, but I'm not sure everyone realizes how tiny our fan base is. It might be the smallest in the NBA. Easily one of the five smallest. The team plays in a good sized market that's a hotbed for the sport, receives no competition from Baltimore, and is followed by what, between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 10,000 people in the market? And almost no fans outside the market. Nine million people in the DC-Baltimore metro area, at least five million more in Virginia. I'd estimate that there are probably about a hundred thousand Wizards fans that follow the team fairly regularly. Maybe less... There might seriously be more Lakers fans in market than Wizards fans.

The media covering the team is tiny and it's not a very competitive gig. So we don't really hear much about it.

BTW I would love for the Wizards to get Ryan Anderson. Probably not as a trade unless he makes it known he'd stay this summer. We don't need to give up anything for a 35 game rental in a season where we'll have to battle our asses off to get the 8 seed.

But he'd be one of my top targets this summer.

And I wouldn't be opposed to giving up a little something for him before the deadline to get him for a 30 game tryout to see how he fits. Not Oubre, Beal, Gortat, or Porter obviously. And if it's a first round draft pick, I want it extremely protected.

He wouldn't help our defense. But he'd really help the offense.

I also would try and hang on to Ramon Sessions and Jared Dudley. Particularly Sessions. But I'd like to try and rebuild the bench this summer and have Dudley in house and a part of the rotation for next season.

**** I forgot about Wall hiring Rich Paul to be his agent. Well, count David Blatt out then.

Havent the Caps gone through a Head Coach/GM carousel recently? Why is Leonsis so reluctant to make changes on the court like he does on the ice?

Caps went through a coaching carousel with GM George McPhee hiring (IIRC) 5 or 6 "rookie nhl" head coaches in a row.. He FINALLY got fired after 15 years of suck.. Ernie is only on what, year 12 or 13? He's still got another failed coach to hire before Ted will muster up the guts to fire him.. lol

Nice start for Temple.

I've got to say, I don't love that the defense takes Wall off the PG so much in favor of playing Temple on them. I wish Wall took it as a personal challenge to shut down opposing PGs.

Damn refs are tagging us with some ticky tack ****ing calls.

Wall's missed two easy transition lay ups. Hope this isn't a harbinger of the rest of the night.

These refs are calling an absurd game.