Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

At least we're not sitting here "with our dicks in our hand" watching Garrett Temple.

Oh wait, that's exactly what we're doing....

And sadly, we cant really hang this on the start time. Let's call it what it is...a slow, short roster that's prone to injury. Highly, highly prone to injury.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1

At least we're not sitting here "with our dicks in our hand" watching Garrett Temple.

Oh wait, that's exactly what we're doing....

And sadly, we cant really hang this on the start time. Let's call it what it is...a slow, short roster that's prone to injury. Highly, highly prone to injury.

Don't know about you, but I'm watching Beal make shots while nobody else is.

What is wrong with you man? You are fast becoming a whiny little hater. Beal is playing well today, I can't believe that actually pisses you off.

I think the world of you Steve. You're one of the best guys on this whole forum, but...It's gonna take a while before I let you live down the "dick in our hands watching Garrett Temple" line, bro. And Beal dropping 15 off the bench against an 18-25 team in garbage time ain't gonna get it turned around for you.

Gotta go, Temple is back in for Crunch Time!

I think the world of you Steve. You're one of the best guys on this whole forum, but...It's gonna take a while before I let you live down the "dick in our hands watching Garrett Temple" line, bro. And Beal dropping 15 off the bench against an 18-25 team in garbage time ain't gonna get it turned around for you.

Gotta go, Temple is back in for Crunch Time!

Eh **** it. I yield. You're not going to change my mind about Beal and the only thing that'll change your mind is seeing him play. Bring it up all you like, I'm no longer interested in fighting about it. You can go back to having snark contests with chipwich.

Eh **** it. I yield. You're not going to change my mind about Beal and the only thing that'll change your mind is seeing him play. Bring it up all you like, I'm no longer interested in fighting about it. You can go back to having snark contests with chipwich.

I'm gonna let it lie. I hope Beal plays great down the stretch. But lay off Temple, he's giving you all he's got.

I'm gonna let it lie. I hope Beal plays great down the stretch. But lay off Temple, he's giving you all he's got.

I don't dislike Temple. I think he's useful on the end of the bench and he's come in and done as well as can be expected during Beal's absence. He played really well today too. I just don't want us to have to play Temple always because we let Beal walk.

If we were going to have a down year, it would've been better to have it last year; that way Wittless gets canned, and we can get a good coach in here in time to have a good year to allow for maximum probability of getting KD here next year.

KD ain't coming here. Wittman would have him playing 10 minutes a game with Garrett Temple splitting minutes with him. We'll end up overpaying Nene to come back and that will be our big off-season move.

Kevin Love called out LeBron in the media. His days in Cleveland might be numbered. This is a potential golden opportunity to buy low on a guy who as an All NBA stretch four two years ago. We should be trying to take him off their hands.

Whoa....I didn't even see that. 

Love would be an amazing fit here in DC and if Grunfeld was smart (LOL), he'd explore the option of bringing him in.  Price wouldn't be as steep as Boogie and with KD becoming a pipe dream, something needs to be done.  ASAP. 

Gotta be careful to not waste Wall's prime years.  We're not there yet, but we're slowly headed in that direction unless something is done.  Getting Love would be an amazing addition. 

What are you willing to offer?

As little as possible to get them to pull the trigger. They're the ones in the tough spot in terms of their cap situation today and the long term money Love is signed for.

1.) Start the deal with Nene to balance the money of the trade. Desirable for Cleveland too since he's an expiring and they're getting to wipe Love's 5 year 20+ million per annum deal clean.

2.) Add the carrot. Something that can help them win now. This has got to be either Gortat, Beal, or Porter probably. Maybe Oubre could be enough of a carrot, but I doubt it since he's pretty far away from playing big minutes on a contender. Kid would be a really good fit playing with LeBron though.

3.) Finish it with the smaller carrot of a draft pick if necessary. They're short on picks, so this is more intriguing than it sounds.

That is how I'd probably structure an offer.

I don't want to give up Beal. I know everyone else does, but I still think the real coup to be had is building a team around Wall + Beal + Love.

Plus, Love has some stink of caveat emptor on him after this stint in Cleveland. He's been a disengaged malcontent. And the plummeting of his numbers confirmed some of the fears about him being an empty numbers guy for bad teams.

Plus I kind of hate the idea of bailing Cleveland out of their ****ty situation with Love with a young, high upside, playoff seasoned, well rounded player like Porter or Beal. It would make me feel a little sick to see one of them be a key contributor to a title team in Cleveland while we're watching the series on TV.

But I still think Love is worth the risk to trade for because I think we're a particularly good fit for him. His dad has connections to the franchise. He'd get to be the first scoring option here instead of the third. We're not an ISO ball team and his catch and shoot and pick and pop ability could be a real asset.

In the end, I'd probably hold firm on keeping Beal and offer Porter or Oubre and a first with Nene.

But the deal I like the best (for both teams even) is Nene + Gortat and a first for Love + Mozgov.

Reason for Cleveland is two-fold, they don't need a starting PF because they have Thompson and they actually haven't experienced much of a drop from Thompson to Love. They do need a starting C after this season because Mozgov is a UFA. Their cap situation sucks, their tax bill is awful. So they get out of Love's deal in return for Nene's expiring, get a quality starting C on a dirt cheap long term contract, and get massive tax relief. Gortat is a good fit there too because he is a low option dirty work big like Mozgov, but with many more scoring tools.

Reason we'd want Mozgov back is because we'd need a credible body at C. Mozgov is below average, but he's at least a seven footer.

I don't love that we'd lose our highly affordable center and put that situation up in the air again. March has been durable and an excellent fit. If Love didn't work out here, then we'd be screwed. But I think that'd be even more so if we lost Beal in the trade instead of Gortat, because Beal is 22 and still gives us the potential of fielding a two AS construction down the road.

Porter, I'd want to keep just because I think he offers such a nice long term fourth option two way player that doesn't take anything notable off the table. He's obviously less valuable than Beal and Gortat, but I'd risk the chance that he'd be more valuable than Gortat eventually.

I would offer Nene + Gortat + Oubre + some sort of protected draft pick for Love + Mozgov and hold my breath that Love gets back to something close the player he used to be.

If he didn't, then obviously it'd be a huge setback. But we wouldn't have gutted our long term future because we'd still have Wall/Beal/Porter.

Only thing is I'd worry about our defense even if Love worked out. It's bad enough now, but to lose a center and have the new acquisition be Love...

We'd need to find a stud defensive center. Maybe a Bismack Biyombo? And then try and bring in a bunch of perimeter stoppers. Kind of why I wouldn't want to throw in Oubre.

I would offer Nene + Gortat + Oubre + some sort of protected draft pick for Love + Mozgov and hold my breath that Love gets back to something close the player he used to be.

If he didn't, then obviously it'd be a huge setback. But we wouldn't have gutted our long term future because we'd still have Wall/Beal/Porter.

Only thing is I'd worry about our defense even if Love worked out. It's bad enough now, but to lose a center and have the new acquisition be Love...

We'd need to find a stud defensive center. Maybe a Bismack Biyombo? And then try and bring in a bunch of perimeter stoppers. Kind of why I wouldn't want to throw in Oubre.

I wouldn't throw in Oubre or Gorat.

Beal+Nene+two 1sts.

That's STEEEEEEP. 

Not really.

It's basically Beal and two picks that will probably be in the mid-to-upper teens. 

Remember that Nene is an expiring contract anyway.

Oh yeah, I'd lottery-protect those picks. At least this year's.

We'd still have the money to go after KD if he wants in.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH