Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Watching Pistons/Kings, free weekend League Pass. Anyway just saw a TNT commercial for the All Star game telecast. Good sign, it was featuring...John Wall.

If he doesn't start, it's whatever. It'll go down in snub history if he isn't an All Star period though. Borderline crime against humanity.

On the flipside, it's so obvious how much **** like that drives Wall. He's already on a mission from the US team snub. He'll be a ****ing monster if he doesn't make the All Star team as well.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Watching Pistons/Kings, free weekend League Pass. Anyway just saw a TNT commercial for the All Star game telecast. Good sign, it was featuring...John Wall.

If he doesn't start, it's whatever. It'll go down in snub history if he isn't an All Star period though. Borderline crime against humanity.

On the flipside, it's so obvious how much **** like that drives Wall. He's already on a mission from the US team snub. He'll be a ****ing monster if he doesn't make the All Star team as well.

Wall will make the AS game. He's becoming one of the faces of the game. Once you're in the club, you're in. He'll probably make it every healthy year of his career from here on out, until he declines to being a role player.

The only controversy will be whether he is a starter or a reserve. He absolutely, positively should start. There is no better PG in the East. But he will probably be a reserve to Derrick Rose or Kyrie Irving.

Wall will make the AS game. He's becoming one of the faces of the game. Once you're in the club, you're in. He'll probably make it every healthy year of his career from here on out, until he declines to being a role player.

The only controversy will be whether he is a starter or a reserve. He absolutely, positively should start. There is no better PG in the East. But he will probably be a reserve to Derrick Rose or Kyrie Irving.

More importantly, I think this is the year he cracks an "All-NBA" team & an "All-Defense" team. Much like your point about all-star nods, those selections tend to come in bunches.

• Like 1

I wish we could end the pettiness being exhibited in tweets and statements I've seen in the thread.  I've always liked how DC athletes support their own.  I remember RGIII going to a Wiz game in his rookie year.  I remember Nats players supporting Caps and Wizards speaking positively about the baseball team.

There are many reasons to be down as a football player, but nastiness has no place for me.  If you don't want to watch, if you prefer one sport over the other that's all to the good, but I support the home team even when the Wizards and bullets broke my heart for decades, you never heard me bad mouthing them.  Likewise, I hope that we muster brotherhood or at the worst benign neglect.

There's no reason laugh at other's misery.  Honestly criticize yes, but the other...

Okay, getting off pedestal, because I'd rather cheer for the Wizards than get sidetracked by hate.

• Like 2

I wish we could end the pettiness being exhibited in tweets and statements I've seen in the thread.  I've always liked how DC athletes support their own.  I remember RGIII going to a Wiz game in his rookie year.  I remember Nats players supporting Caps and Wizards speaking positively about the baseball team.

There are many reasons to be down as a football player, but nastiness has no place for me.  If you don't want to watch, if you prefer one sport over the other that's all to the good, but I support the home team even when the Wizards and bullets broke my heart for decades, you never heard me bad mouthing them.  Likewise, I hope that we muster brotherhood or at the worst benign neglect.

There's no reason laugh at other's misery.  Honestly criticize yes, but the other...

Okay, getting off pedestal, because I'd rather cheer for the Wizards than get sidetracked by hate.

One of the reasons why the wizards have sucked as long as they have, and why fans have bemoaned the team, was because of the main issue afflicting the Redskins now, systemic failure from ownership down to management. 

I know I was happy some years the wiz particularly sucked, basically hoping for REAL change, unfortunately that real change only came seemingly when Ted Leonsis bought the team (although I'm not sure how much of EG's ability to put out this team is a function of Ted's vision). 

Right now I want the redskins to undergo the same dark period with Snyder, if it takes 10-15 years, so be it. We won't win anything with his current "vision" and he needs to suffer monetarily before he stops trying to sell us a short sighted product. The DMV has to turn their backs on the redskins in order for that change to occur. That or Snyder needs die, but he is fairly young so I doubt that happens anytime soon. The other option is Snyder sell the team, again, something I doubt occurring. 

I don't agree with blindly supporting a team (especially ones I root for) when they are contaminated with scum bag front offices. 

It is mean to kick a dog while its down but the reason I don't care is that when the Bullets and Caps struggled nobody talked about them.  When they were good, nobody talked about them. Even when they win, I have to hear about a garbage 3-win football team because old people can't let go of what happened in 1987. We all want the Skins to be good, so even though we diss them, deep down we'd LOVE for the glory days to return. But as long as that clown Dan is in office and the product sucks and I have to hear about those losers instead of winning teams, I will make jokes at their expense.

• Like 2

It is mean to kick a dog while its down but the reason I don't care is that when the Bullets and Caps struggled nobody talked about them.  When they were good, nobody talked about them. Even when they win, I have to hear about a garbage 3-win football team because old people can't let go of what happened in 1987. We all want the Skins to be good, so even though we diss them, deep down we'd LOVE for the glory days to return. But as long as that clown Dan is in office and the product sucks and I have to hear about those losers instead of winning teams, I will make jokes at their expense.

this

More importantly, I think this is the year he cracks an "All-NBA" team & an "All-Defense" team. Much like your point about all-star nods, those selections tend to come in bunches.

Yeah, they're important career accolades, but unfortunately, they too are often popularity contests.

I'm 100% confident he'll be first team defense though. And deserve it. There aren't any other PGs even close to as deserving as him and his defense is getting recognition.

Please, like everyone and their mother didn't bash the Wizards when they were at their worst. When the Wizards sucked, the only real conversation you got about the team was from the dozen self flagellating die hard fans the organization had left. Outside of that small community, it was pure snark and derision. And the team deserved it. The die-hards understood why everyone made fun of the team. Including DC residents who hadn't watched a Wizards game in years.

The Redskins have earned all the hate they get. The organization sucks. The ownership is a disaster. They're one of the worst franchises in Pro-Sports. I don't even want to hear about them any more. They're not worth following. Supporting them just enabling the current ownership, which I will not do. If anything I welcome the derision, I hope Snyder gets shamed out of town.

this

Yup. That.

And this...

Please, like everyone and their mother didn't bash the Wizards when they were at their worst. When the Wizards sucked, the only real conversation you got about the team was from the dozen self flagellating die hard fans the organization had left. Outside of that small community, it was pure snark and derision. And the team deserved it. The die-hards understood why everyone made fun of the team. Including DC residents who hadn't watched a Wizards game in years.

The Redskins have earned all the hate they get. The organization sucks. The ownership is a disaster. They're one of the worst franchises in Pro-Sports. I don't even want to hear about them any more. They're not worth following. Supporting them just enabling the current ownership, which I will not do. If anything I welcome the derision, I hope Snyder gets shamed out of town.

Curse O' Les Boulez

Just giving this some more thought, the success of the Nats and Wiz is an utter disaster for Dan Snyder. Before he was either the only show in town or the least disastrous. Now we have successful organizations to closely compare and contrast to the Skins and it's just disgusting. Like seriously, ugh. It's just been building and building, one thing after another and seeing what winners look like and how they operate is just like the final nail in the coffin. Think about that...you suck so much you make folks yearn for Ernie Grunfeld.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

Just giving this some more thought, the success of the Nats and Wiz is an utter disaster for Dan Snyder. Before he was either the only show in town or the least disastrous. Now we have successful organizations to closely compare and contrast to the Skins and it's just disgusting. Like seriously, ugh. It's just been building and building, one thing after another and seeing what winners look like and how they operate is just like the final nail in the coffin. Think about that...you suck so much you make folks yearn for Ernie Grunfeld.

That begs the question: Who will be the first DC based team to win a championship? And the last?

This may be a bit off topice, but it think it's relevant because the Wiz are the mostly likely to bring DC a championship.

1. Wiz

2. Caps (because of the unpredictable nature of the playoffs)

3. Nats

4. DC United

5. Skins

I think it's going to get much more difficult for the Nats. While the Braves will be down, their division will still me much better. The Marlins and Mets will continue to improve and both on the verge of being good teams. I don't see how the Dodgers don't win at least 1 championship within the next few years. The Giants will continue to be very dangerous. The Cubs are making moves. I'm not sure if the Nats can afford to lose their players and still contend. I'm not sure if the Wiz are going to win a championship, but I think they have the best chance out of all the local teams.

I really don't want this thread to become a wizards thread / redskins apologsts thread, but please do keep in mind this is a redskins message board. You're frustration with the coverage of the other sports is valid, but the Redskins are sitll a billion dollar franchise.  They won't get swept under the rug, and its not just old people that haven't let go of history yet. The Redskins have more championships then the other 3 major sports teams in DC combined, so they still have work to do to get the sort of following the redskins do, because that generation that was there for that is still very much alive and well.

I'll do my part not to bring them up in this thread (even for example purposes), but I hope no one is shocked if in a some way the Redskins are defended in some way here considering this is a Redskins message board. It's human nature, please try to understand.

Na, I think the Nats are the clear cut #1. The Wizards aren't quite there, the Nats are. I mean I love my Wizards but I think Mike Rizzo is on the verge of becoming a DC legend

That's an interesting question and I think it depends on the time of the year. The good thing about Nats v. Wiz is that there is no real overlap.  The Caps fall is a little sad.  I liked "rockin' the Red"