Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The NBA already has a strong player's union. NBA player wages are generally the highest in Pro Sports. LeBron James says there is no place for Donald Sterling in the NBA and the man is out soon after. The star players are practically GMs.

I don't believe Sterling was ousted because Lebron spoke out against his racism. He was ousted because sponsors were dropping from the Clippers within a short period of time, and the NBA was in danger of losing league sponsors as well. It's all the money. 

If their union was strong, and I'll admit they are stronger than the NFL's, then a max salary would've never happened. 

I don't believe Sterling was ousted because Lebron spoke out against his racism. He was ousted because sponsors were dropping from the Clippers within a short period of time, and the NBA was in danger of losing league sponsors as well. It's all the money. 

If their union was strong, and I'll admit they are stronger than the NFL's, then a max salary would've never happened.

You're right it was definitely a lot that went into Sterling's ouster, including threats from sponsors. But what other league could have a player come out against one of the owners publicly and have his words carry weight? The Clippers players also almost boycotted. There is no chance you'd see that kind of action from the athletes in other sports. A significant amount of the pressure to remove Sterling came from the players.

NBA players are powerful. Powerful enough that the great ones can end up becoming owners themselves if they want to. And most of the GMs and coaches around the league are former NBA players.

Also the Max contract rules don't hurt player wages overall. Player wages are very high on average. In effect they actually spread the money around more so that mid level players make a lot more--and a lot earlier in their careers--than other athletes do.

Does a max salary out more money in the pockets of role players? There are more of them than there are stars.

I haven't looked at the average salary of role players since the max salary was implemented, but I thought the league's point of implementing it was due to star players not living up to the money they were making. I place the blame on that more on the GM who made a bad decision than the player not being worth the money. I just find max salaries repugnant. The best player on one team, may be better than the best player on another team. Their salaries should not be the same, the better player should be paid more...and the teams should do a better job of negotiating. 

Porter went full today. Was adamant that hamstring soreness isn’t a strain and will be a game-time decision tmrw.

Nene saw a doctor today for right foot. Wittman said he doesn’t think he’ll be out a long period of time. Mentioned “a game or two” #Wizards

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I haven't looked at the average salary of role players since the max salary was implemented, but I thought the league's point of implementing it was due to star players not living up to the money they were making. I place the blame on that more on the GM who made a bad decision than the player not being worth the money. I just find max salaries repugnant. The best player on one team, may be better than the best player on another team. Their salaries should not be the same, the better player should be paid more...and the teams should do a better job of negotiating.

And by negotiating you mean offer more than the large market teams will offer, right? That might work in baseball but in the nba one player makes all the difference. The point of max deals and salary caps is to give the small market teams the same buying power. The other effect is that role players become more valuable and can demand more because stars occupy less.

Teams have to spend a certain amount and what they don't spend on stars they spend somewhere else.

Edited by Destino

So anyone heard who is starting in place of Nene? I assume Humphries but maybe Gooden or even Seraphin. And Humphries off the bench.

I would start Gooden. Hump is good at owning the other teams back up bigs. I like the Hump-Seraphin combo. Seraphin is finally playing tough in the paint.

Edited by No Excuses