Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Game was over the moment we stopped turning the ball over. The Bucks look us like from two years ago in their half court offense. They can't do anything but attempt bad shots. They have crazy length on defense though. 

Jabari Parker is really unimpressive. He looks like Melo if Melo couldn't score.

Good win. Came out flat and tired-looking but they battled back into it and executed well in the second half.

It's good to get a win against anyone on night 2 of a back to back without Nene and Porter. And the Bucks are looking feisty. They're overachieving.

Feels like we won this game on the glass. We woke up on defense in the second quarter and started killing them on the glass and our offense sprung to life from that. Finishing with 111 points after it looked like we would struggle to get to 80 in the first quarter is nice.

Gonna watch the DVR of the game in the AM (used to be, I couldn't watch game recordings--Wiz, Nats, Skins, w/e--if I already knew the outcome but I just enjoy watching this team play so much, that's no longer a factor) .

Anyway, what's up with the injuries to Nene and Otto? Nothing serious?

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Game was over the moment we stopped turning the ball over. The Bucks look us like from two years ago in their half court offense. They can't do anything but attempt bad shots. They have crazy length on defense though. 

Jabari Parker is really unimpressive. He looks like Melo if Melo couldn't score.

That group of front court players could be scary once they get some real experience.

Agreed about Parker. He had a couple explosive plays and scored through contact a couple times but he was pretty invisible. Greek Freak flashes constantly. And he flashed more as a rookie IMO. I don't think Parker's ceiling is going to be as high as people have been predicting.

For every Carmelo, there are a bunch more Derrick Williamses and Michael Beasleys. Parker has a long way to go.

Beal looked unimpressive early in his rookie year too.  He couldn't shoot well, his defense was awful, and his handles were below average for a guard.  Then about half way through that season he got his shot to start falling.  His second year he improved his handle enough to get better shots.  Now he's looking like he's about to make that leap.  He also seems to have worked his ass off in the offseason because he's in noticeably better shape.  More muscle mass and less fat.

Point is, be patient with Wiggins and Parker.  Most players don't come in the league and look immediately good. 

Edited by Destino

That group of front court players could be scary once they get some real experience.

Agreed about Parker. He had a couple explosive plays and scored through contact a couple times but he was pretty invisible. Greek Freak flashes constantly. And he flashed more as a rookie IMO. I don't think Parker's ceiling is going to be as high as people have been predicting.

For every Carmelo, there are a bunch more Derrick Williamses and Michael Beasleys. Parker has a long way to go.

Antetokounmpo (I copied and pasted that) is driving to the basket a lot more this year by the looks of it. He could blow up suddenly like Paul George.  PG averaged 7ppg then 12ppg in his second year.  Antetokounmpo averaged 6.8 and is now at 11.9 and obviously is adding offense to his game.  Not a great comparison though because PG can shoot much better than Antetokounmpo. 

Edited by Destino

I don't even try and spell his name any more. He's now permanently known as Greek Freak as much from convenience as anything else.

I guess the difference between Beal's early struggles and Parker's is the hype. Parker was supposed to be a super blue chipper and this 2014 class was supposed to be a once in a decade group a la 2003. Parker was supposed to be good early. But he's not even playing 30 minutes a game on a team that didn't exactly have well established vets in front of him. Beal didn't put up anywhere near the individual numbers Parker did as a freshman and never had the kind of hype Parker did.

The other thing is, Parker's flaws now are the same as the flaws he showed at Duke for anyone that cared to recognize them. The chucking and questionable BBall IQ. The tweener body. The hopelessness on defense.

None of that applied to Beal coming into the NBA. His BBall IQ and shot selection were never a problem, his defensive potential has always been good, and he had a good body that was NBA ready at 18 years old. There was plenty of reason to expect Beal to overcome the early struggles and get good. There is less reason to expect that from Parker if for no other reason than Beal has a good body for his NBA position and Parker does not.

Parker is a worse prospect than Beal was and a lesser talent that came in with waaaay more hype. Go figure. That's the power of your media market size. Parker played for one of the highest profile high schools in Chicago, was on the front page of ESPN.com as a HS jr, had several of his HS games broadcast on ESPN, and went to Duke.