Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yeah extending Gortat is a must. We can not afford to let him walk.

Ariza is a really tough call.

I hate to lose him for nothing. And I hate for the locker room to lose their friend. That is potentially dangerous. Plus it's nice having somebody with a ring in the locker room.

But I also hate putting up potentially unnecessary road blocks in front of Porter.

If you can get him on a good money deal and look to deal Webster, then that might be the best solution of all. Ariza is a better all around player than Webster so just a 1 to 1 comparison favors Ariza. Porter moves into the sixth man role. Then eventually moves into the starting role. That path makes sense.

But I also hate trading Webster. I like him and was hoping he'd stay a Wizard. Webster is a dead eye 3 ball shooter that's athletic and doesn't stay cold for prolonged stretches. He's 100 plus threes a season at 40% that keeps the floor spaced coming off the bench. It's a weapon in the playoffs.

I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. But I also don't totally trust Ernie and Wittman to get this right.

So, what might end up having to happen is we sign Ariza and Porter just forces his way into the rotation next season anyway. Takes Webster's minutes, forces us to go smaller, plays a bunch of PF minutes, etc.

What I want to see improve specifically for Porter is a solid 3 ball and some man strength. If he gets a three ball and joins the rotation, we'll have four 3 ball shooters plus Wall, whose proven he can make 100 of them as a back up option.

For next season, same core we have this year plus Porter is a good team. A 50+ win team and contender for the ECF again. One more year might be all you get before bigger changes are necessary, but our short term future is crystallizing.

This is the part where we all grumble about not drafting Nerlens Noel.

Well we don't really know about Noel yet.

But RA15 posted that he's 7'2 now. Jesus. Someone that big that plays hard and can move his feet is interesting period. Doesn't matter that he can't hit the side of a barn with the ball and is skinny as a pole.

Plus having him redshirt for a year instead of Porter would have been easier to take because of the injury. And it also would have made our decision about Ariza very easy: extend him.

But I still think Porter has a chance to be a better player than Noel, and if that happens, we won't complain about picking him instead.

So we all agree that if we have to choose between Gortat and Ariza, it's Gortat all day? Anyone disagree with that?

Pretty much. I can't believe it's a legit reality that Ariza could be gone next season, but that's just the way the hand was dealt. Gortat is better for the team than Ariza. 

the guy beneath Bird has an even better miserable look

Man, the whole crowd has a "**** this!" face. lol

So we all agree that if we have to choose between Gortat and Ariza, it's Gortat all day? Anyone disagree with that?

It's crazy, but yes. The team - theoretically - has Ariza's replacement on the roster, and if they don't, they can - theoretically - find one somewhere. I don't think Gortat can be replaced.

I mean, I guess you can make the decision that this is your team and that this team as assembled go make a Finals. If you do that, you have to accept the fact that there is almost nothing you can do to upgrade the team outside of the draft for a few years.

Has my vote.

Core would be strong enough that we can survive Porter's growing pains and still be competitive. It's tough thinking about how many players we have contributing right now with expiring contracts. We may be good, but it may be a year or two before we have a team as deep as this again.

It's crazy, but yes. The team - theoretically - has Ariza's replacement on the roster, and if they don't, they can - theoretically - find one somewhere. I don't think Gortat can be replaced.

I mean, I guess you can make the decision that this is your team and that this team as assembled go make a Finals. If you do that, you have to accept the fact that there is almost nothing you can do to upgrade the team outside of the draft for a few years.

They don't really have to do anything. Wall is 23 and Beal is 20 and they haven't even taken Porter out of the box. This team's best days are still a long ways away. The back court is still, realistically, four or five years away from their best basketball.

For the moment, there isn't another team in the league whose long term future is as secure.

Miami? How much longer is this going to last? New Orleans? Who is Davis's #2? Houston? Are they legit when Harden is such a ****ing fraud? Portland? They're older and less balanced. OKC? Is their future with Durant actually secure? Clippers? How much longer does CP3 have?

Come what may, you can pretty much bet on Wall and Beal being among the best at their positions for most of the next 8-10 years. In a year or two, they alone will be good enough to get you to 50 wins and a decent seed. And Wall is under total team control for five more years and Beal for six. There isn't anyone else with that kind of security.

Yup, if they can continue to recycle big men over the next 4-6 years who can give you as many double-doubles as Gortat/Nene do, that's solid.  I think we all want to believe Porter will grow into his body and give us 10-14 ppg and that 6-8 rpg.  Not sure we can expect bigger averages from him.

This is a MUST read:

Link

Ok...this was a BRILLIANT approach by the Wizards.  I'll be the first to admit that I was VERY critical of the approach they were taking with Beal.  However, after reading the article, it all makes perfect sense.

One of the knocks on Brad was his body language when things weren't going right.  We all saw this.  ****, if we're seeing it, so were his teammates, coaches, etc.  By putting Brad in a position where he was uncomfortable and would fail, he had no choice but to figure out a way to get over his mental hurdles and adapt.  Well, we're seeing him reap the rewards of taking his lumps early on.  This kid...yes, KID, is only 20.  He's maturing and developing right before our eyes.  The team was correct in how they were coaching him up and for that, I couldn't be happier. 

I was completely wrong with my criticism and as George McPhee arrogantly said...if you knew the game, you'd be in it.  LOL.  Well, that applies to me.  I never looked at the big picture.  The Wizards did.  As a whole, maybe the front office and coaches deserve more credit than what we initially gave.

I think it's more likely that the Wizards brass did something stupid and it turned Ok anyhow. But either way it worked out for the best.

Arenas being Arenas. Hopefully he shows up for the home games. I hold nothing against him.

Wittman is all but guaranteed to come back at this point. On one hand, I think he's easily replaceable. But for whatever reason, this team responds to him. One can hope that with time, he can work on his biggest issues. Those would be an obsession with the long 2 and out of time out offensive sets.

The only way he doesn't come back is if he lands another job, which may end up being a possibility if this team keeps rolling.

Of course he will be back.

Enjoy the series, we are taking down Indiana and will lose to Miami.  Regardless we won't be coach shopping.  You don't fire a coach who guides your team to one of their best playoff runs in team history.

They don't really have to do anything. Wall is 23 and Beal is 20 and they haven't even taken Porter out of the box. This team's best days are still a long ways away. The back court is still, realistically, four or five years away from their best basketball.

NBA history is filled with teams that thought they were 2 years away from being a long-term force. From the late 80s Cavaliers with Price and Daughtery to Chris Webber Bullets to OKC two years ago when they still had Harden.

You can sit here and say, "Oh when Wall is 27 and Beal is 24, this team will be unstoppable" and then one of them twists a knee and the other decides that he hates the DC Police or New Orleans falls ass backwards into another top 5 player and win 5 straight titles.

If OKC's disaster with Harden proved anything, it's that you really can't take anything for granted. If you have a chance to load up for a title run, you do it. You should try to avoid crippling yourself long-term, but the Wizards only real long-term objective at this point is making sure they have a max slot available when Beal comes around.

The question is really whether this team will be in position to do that next year.

Horse before the cart, people. Let's hope the Wiz don't let this live go to their head. Indiana is not a gimme.

Agreed. Tonight will say a lot about this series. Game 1 the wizards shot ridiculously well from the three, got a million offensive rebounds, and generally looked like the fresh rested team playing a tired team. What happens now that the Pacers need to get one at home and are looking to counter punch?

• Like 1

The question is really whether this team will be in position to do that next year.

I'd also like to know if a team with two maxed guards can win in this new CBA era, or at all really. Investing so much in the smallest players isn't a traditional formula and "the best backcourt" generally doesn't win titles.

For the moment, there isn't another team in the league whose long term future is as secure.

Miami? How much longer is this going to last? New Orleans? Who is Davis's #2? Houston? Are they legit when Harden is such a ****ing fraud? Portland? They're older and less balanced. OKC? Is their future with Durant actually secure? Clippers? How much longer does CP3 have?

Come what may, you can pretty much bet on Wall and Beal being among the best at their positions for most of the next 8-10 years. In a year or two, they alone will be good enough to get you to 50 wins and a decent seed. And Wall is under total team control for five more years and Beal for six. There isn't anyone else with that kind of security.

I'd rather not take the "We have all the time in the world" approach.  Not in this era.  LKB even brought up pre-free agency examples.

I'd also like to know if a team with two maxed guards can win in this new CBA era, or at all really. Investing so much in the smallest players isn't a traditional formula and "the best backcourt" generally doesn't win titles.

Traditionally, that's true. But I think this is a league built around the perimeter right now. Yes, if Embiid hits the league and turns into Shaq-like 30/20/3 monster, well, that teams going to win a ton of games. But barring that happening, I think you can compete for titles building around perimeter stars. It's not like Miami or OKC or even San Antionio is throwing the ball into the post and waiting for two points.

I think guard driven teams can win but you still need good big men. The Pistons were driven by Billups but still had Wallace and Wallace up front.

I actually think a Nene/Gortat frontcourt can contend ASSUMING Wall and Beal blossom into full fledged stars, and of course assuming Nene can stay healthy(not a safe assumption).

But we'll cross that bridge when we get there. For now lets enjoy the moment.

If we win tonight, the series is over. Lets bring it to them. They are on the verge of just giving up and unlike the Bulls, they won't have the fight to keep future games close.

I'm really curious to see if the Bullets can steal another one tonight. I am wondering if Hibbert has the personality to go nuts at least knocking people around......f up our flow.

Indy will attempt to come out punching. So, seeing how that is handled will be interesting. Withstand it without getting in foul trouble would be huge.

I'm really curious to see if the Bullets can steal another one tonight. I am wondering if Hibbert has the personality to go nuts at least knocking people around......f up our flow.

Indy will attempt to come out punching. So, seeing how that is handled will be interesting. Withstand it without getting in foul trouble would be huge.

The questions are "Who" on Indy will come out punching and how will they come out punching? Ideally, the Wizards want Lance Stephenson and David West to be trying to win this series all by themselves, because that will just become a disaster within 2 periods and the team may have a fist fight during the huddle. You also may want Paul George trying to win the game 1 on 5 and acting like Lebron. Becuse that may work for a quarter or two, but he ain't Lebron and eventually that will become a lot of bad jumpers.

I know longer believe that Indy can pull together as a team with any fight or cohesion though. And frankly, I think the Wizards are more talented man to man at this point.

I think this ends in 5.

I'm now really curious about this. A 6'6 former NBA player who still seems to be in shape can't get one dunk out of his knees - even in his 50s?

Then again, I've watched Kevin McHale try to walk at Rockets games and would believe it if you told me he could no longer dunk (even though I assume he can touch the rim flat footed). Seriously, you can see those '87 Playoffs every time McHale stands up to call a time out. I assume that every joint in his body needs to replaced.