Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I love how Wall spent the first quarter getting assists and then started to take over during the third quarter. I believe we get a better all around effort from the team as a whole when every starts scoring and getting into the flow right after the tip.

Then after we come out of half time, we always need that spark to get our confidence back in the third quarter and Wall gave it to us.

Been saying that specific "LeBron of the PG position" phrase for like two years. Last year I got ridiculed for it.

People are certainly noticing Wall now, but I think he made "the leap" last March. Basically sustained a stretch of play that was MVP caliber. 47 on Memphis when half the team was injured was his breakout moment.

April rolled in and he slowed down a little, mostly because we were sitting four to six of our top seven guys at various points. But Wall still kept us around .500 to close out the season.

Wall's brand has taken off like a rocket this season. The NBA world hadn't totally bought in, even before the AS game, but the dunk contest raised his profile. People got to see a glimpse of the talent with their own eyes.

Now if you're watching Wall, it's impossible not to notice that he's the best player on the court in almost every game and he's the alpha dog. He's got that LeBron/Durant-style aura and swagger.

Most nights I love watching Wall play defense. That's where he really looks like a mini LeBron. He spends most of his time on the ball, but when Wall is off the ball, he doesn't play defense like a PG. He makes an impact. He ranges and comes over and helps out and takes charges and blocks shots and rotates on bigs like it's nothing. Most PGs play scared when they're in those situations but you can see Wall thriving on it. He plays defense like a forward.

Such a valuable player.

• Like 1

I'll be honest guys, I didn't catch the Nets game but I think you are all overreacting to Wall having a great game. Yes he had an amazing game (the stat line is anyway, like it said I haven't watched it) but this is the same guy who is turning the ball over by losing his dribble at the end of games.

And I love John Wall. He's a great player and probably worth the max (certainly is some games) but he's not nearly consistent enough for me to agree with any of the last 7 or 8 posts. Not trying to rain on the parade( I know I still am) but I'd like to see a couple big games in a row. Or another winning streak. I can't get that hyped on Wall when I know he will let me down soon with an average performance or a very poor shooting night.

Oh whatever I should be grateful that we have any good players at all. And I'm really really glad we won.

Edit: I agree about Wall defensively. He's great on that end.

Edited by sherrardsd

I know DC is a football town first, but Wall is easily my favorite DC athlete. Yah he still has some faults, but you actually see the hard work paying off. He just doesn't talk and he doesn't get involved in drama. Blue collar star, who may become a superstar next season. Just need Beal to make the jump next season and we may be able to make some noise as soon as LBJ's decline starts (which may be 2 seasons away :/ )

• Like 1

I'll be honest guys, I didn't catch the Nets game but I think you are all overreacting to Wall having a great game. Yes he had an amazing game (the stat line is anyway, like it said I haven't watched it) but this is the same guy who is turning the ball over by losing his dribble at the end of games.

And I love John Wall. He's a great player and probably worth the max (certainly is some games) but he's not nearly consistent enough for me to agree with any of the last 7 or 8 posts. Not trying to rain on the parade( I know I still am) but I'd like to see a couple big games in a row. Or another winning streak. I can't get that hyped on Wall when I know he will let me down soon with an average performance or a very poor shooting night.

Oh whatever I should be grateful that we have any good players at all. And I'm really really glad we won.

Couldn't possibly disagree with this more. Steve hit the nail on the head. I'm sorry dude but Wall is the real deal. And it's been fascinating to watch his growth year to year. Dude is a stud and has the work ethic to make the most of it.

• Like 1

He does turn the ball over too much. I think that has more to do with being the teams only ball handler and working in a ridiculously bad offense though. He's been consistently good this year with a some bad games here and there. That's fairly normal, every player has off nights. I expect him to have less of them next year, especially if he gets help.

Does Wall really turn it over that much though? I mean when you factor in how much the ball is in his hands. His assist to turnover ratio is still quite good and I don't really recall too many turnover prone games like in his first three years. When youre a superstar PG who has the ball in his hands as often as he does, you're bound to get a few turnovers. It's like how the best fielders in baseball tend to have more errors because they can reach more balls.

I don't know about the Lebron of PGs, that would basically mean Wall is Magic Johnson and he's not that good(nobody is to be fair). But Wall is the 2nd best PG in the league right now and I'd take him over CP3 to be honest when you factor in age/upside.

I admit at the time I wasn't a fan of maxing out Wall, I'd have rather waited a year, but man am I glad we did it now. I don't think he would have left us, he seems to have embraced the city as the city has embraced him, but it's good to know we won't be in that position.

At 3.5 turnovers per game he's definitely high on the list of league leaders in this negative category.

I don't see turnover prone player when I watch Wall play. He's very controlled and doesn't play reckless. I'm positive if he played in a half decent NBA offensive system, his turnovers would drop a bit.

He needs a partner he can trust with the ball. Teams know that Walls the only guy that can really create much and, like you say, the offense isn't helping.

I know DC is a football town first, but Wall is easily my favorite DC athlete. Yah he still has some faults, but you actually see the hard work paying off. He just doesn't talk and he doesn't get involved in drama. Blue collar star, who may become a superstar next season. Just need Beal to make the jump next season and we may be able to make some noise as soon as LBJ's decline starts (which may be 2 seasons away :/ )

DC is a Redskins town, but we love basketball more than any other sport.

Man John Wall was abusing Deron Williams in that clip StillUnknown posted above.

Who was surprised when Beal started Saturday night?

This, to me, is what was most impressive about the other night.  Deron has some miles on him but he is still a high-quality PG in this league and…Wall just turned him inside-out, repeatedly and with variety.  Good stuff!

Been saying that specific "LeBron of the PG position" phrase for like two years. Last year I got ridiculed for it.

Anyone that says Wall is the LeBron of the PG position should be ridiculed. Just let him be John Wall cause there really isn't another LeBron type player. Now, if Wall was leading this team to a 60 win year with a terrible roster, you might have a case.

I do love reading this thread though and the bipolar nature of it. The Wizards have done a nice job of growing this year, but right now they are 4 games over .500 and in the 5th spot for the playoffs of maybe the worst conference in the history of the league. Personally, I want to see this team lose cause any winning might mean Wittman and EG back for the next few years. You want to see Wall take off into the MVP talk, get him a better coach and a good GM.

• Like 3

Gotta agree w/ Hersh.  Gotta pump the brakes on the "Wall is the Lebron on the PG position."  Lebron is a transcendant, once-in-a-generation talent.

He's not the best at his position.  He's a distant 2nd to Chris Paul.  It's not a knock on Wall, but moreso a testament to how good CP3 is.  Being the 2nd best PG in the league isn't a bad thing...it's just the guy who is in front of him is well on his way to the HOF and has a lot of basketball left in him.  Dude isn't even 29 yet. 

• Like 1

I hate comparing players to other players. Especially from different sports. Just let Wall be Wall. This year he's taken major steps forward. He's an all-star by earning it. 

Reminds me of the SNL Kimye skit where she says "I'm the Michael Jordan of wearing clothes...."

Complaining about the volume of turnovers with Wall is generic, unnuanced, uninformative. Wall controls the game and facilitates teammates with his passing at an elite level. The volume is obviously high because the amount of ball handling and playmaking he does is high.

Which is fine... But he needs to reduce his turnovers. Wall is still very much growing into his game. One of the things that he can improve is the high turnover numbers and I think he will.

• Like 2