Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

18 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The Knicks have it. Came from the Thunder on last year’s draft night. Not sure how it got from us to OKC.

EDIT. It was the fallout from the Westbrook/Wall trade. Pick went to Houston to OKC to NYK.

Cool, thanks.

30 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I don't blame him honestly.

He's never had a team worth paying the tax for.

They lost to Boston because he was too cheap to get them some much needed depth.  Wall and Beal were gassed because Leonsis didn’t want to get them a bench.  They sold the pick that became Jordan Clarkson.  You want to contend for a title?  Pay the tax.  Boston was 22 million over last year!!  Cheap Ted didn’t pay to keep Bogdonovich who became a really good player after he left the Wizards.  Whose fault is that??

• Like 1

That should solve our "we have to spend money somewhere problem" but the pathway to future success that was once clear now becomes murky again.

B4 this you could see them playing for top draft picks, now not so much.

I don't know the long term strategy being employed here? Are we just gonna keep swinging on Bilial types and hope one of them turns into a HR?

Kuz is a good player, and I like him... but unless they have some kind of plan in place he'll likely do us more harm than good.

Its nice that Kuzy wants to be here I guess. That has to stand for something.

• Like 1

I know people are disappointed that they are not bottoming out, but this appears to be a good deal for Kuzma, who could become an attractive trade piece down the road at $25.5M.

Cam Johnson is getting 27/yr for 4 years.

Bruce Brown is getting $22.5 per year.

Kris Middleton is getting $34M

Grant is getting $32M.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Hersh said:

I like Kuz, but I have no idea what the plan is with this team. This team needs to get a top-3 pick next draft. 

Didn't we jus agree the draft next year is garbage?

We need to develop talent no matter what the pick is.  And we can't jus have nothing but kittens either.

++on him being a reasonable trade asset if need be, right now we don't have any.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I know people are disappointed that they are not bottoming out, but this appears to be a good deal for Kuzma, who could become an attractive trade piece down the road at $25.5M.

Cam Johnson is getting 27/yr for 4 years.

Bruce Brown is getting $22.5 per year.

Kris Middleton is getting $34M

Grant is getting $32M.

Yeah, that's the upside I think.  Poole and Kuzma are more valuable than albatross Beal.  

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

No more luxury tax payouts.  You think cheap Ted Leonsis is missing out on that money?  Dude has only paid the tax himself once during his ownership.  He even traded a first rounder so he could lessen his bill.

I guess that explains why Leonsis would want this deal.  Still think 1 year fillers would be preferable to a 4 year deal, but Kuzma could be a good trade chip I guess.

Edited by bearrock

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I like Kuz, but I have no idea what the plan is with this team. This team needs to get a top-3 pick next draft. 

Yeah I don’t see the strategy here. Are they planning on a playoff run behind Kuz and Poole? Why?

Thought Kuz was gone for sure; didn't seem to fit the plans for a rebuild. 

Still have tons of cap space in 2024. 

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Still more moves to be made. I’ll assume Morris moves on as there is a lot of smoke there.

Good call. 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Didn't we jus agree the draft next year is garbage?

We need to develop talent no matter what the pick is.  And we can't jus have nothing but kittens either.

++on him being a reasonable trade asset if need be, right now we don't have any.

The Wiz need to accumulate top of the draft talent. Last year at this time no one said Bilal would be top-7 and here we are. Point being, it's tough to know in a year who will be looking good for a top-3 or top-5 pick. 

I don’t know why anyone thinks adding Kuz back removes them from the running for a top 3 pick. When you look at the rest of the Eastern conference, outside of the Magic, this may still be the worst roster.

I think we learned the past couple years that Kuz is a great locker room guy (if you were not Dinwiddie lol), a hard worker and an easy guy to root for. It was also obvious he wanted to be here and he loves DC.

With the 4th year, he is not a guy who will be easy to move this trade deadline but he will be movable next offseason or the offseason after if his game does not fall off. Now why did they retain Kuz instead of KP? It is because the latter is a ticking time bomb when it comes to injuries. Lest we forget that the Mavs threw in a second for us to take on KP for Dinwiddie and Bertans

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

That contract is very tradable.  If he sees the end of that contract, I'll be surprised.

But that said, this roster (Kuz included) is still very much in the mix for a top 3 pick next year.  

• Like 2