Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Watched Chelsea for now 4 and a half games this year and not been impressed once.

Just a typical. well organised and boring Mourinho side who've taken their chances. I don't see this supposed new and expansive Chelsea at all.

L'pool go two up and at these in two weeks we'll beat the rent boys.

Hail.

The thing is that Mourinho DOESN'T have to play  this way. His RM sides were pretty open. He chooses to play this way which, IMO, makes him the **** he is. Once again, these are human beings, they break down they lose focus. 

Remember that undefeated Pats team going into the Super Bowl? I loved Cesc as a player, but he was also such a weak **** and mentally fragile. 

To me, their great early season form is that they signed their players early and most of their key players didn't get extended time off post WC (or even were done early). Hopefully that shows up as physical breakdowns later in the season. 

• Like 1

It didn’t take long to understand why no other team had engaged in a real soccer game against the United States women’s national team so far at this CONCACAF Women’s Championship, which doubled as a qualifying tournament for the 2015 Women’s World Cup.
Within just a half, the Americans put four of their six goals past Costa Rica in their 6-0 win on Sunday, which earned them gold medals to go with the World Cup place they clinched in the semifinals on Friday. Abby Wambach collected four of the goals and Carli Lloyd and Sydney Leroux each got another.
Costa Rica’s coach Garabet Avedissian had warned that it would be “foolish … even suicidal” to press the Americans and play an open and attacking game. He did so anyways and soon learned why nobody else risked it.
The Ticas tried to play balls over the top for their strikers to hurtle after at first. They were far more dangerous for it than any team the USA has seen so far, and plainly more capable too. They pressed high and with vigor. At last, a team wasn’t just going to sit deep in its own half and brick up its goal. This also left Costa Rica open and stretched though, and the Americans, cherishing the newfound space, happily played through it.
Whether they did it out of tactical conviction or because there wasn’t all that much at stake in this game, the Central Americans got punished for their stylistic good-heartedness in a game with a pleasant mood created by the engaged spectators.

The thing is that Mourinho DOESN'T have to play  this way. His RM sides were pretty open. He chooses to play this way which, IMO, makes him the **** he is. Once again, these are human beings, they break down they lose focus. 

Remember that undefeated Pats team going into the Super Bowl? I loved Cesc as a player, but he was also such a weak **** and mentally fragile. 

To me, their great early season form is that they signed their players early and most of their key players didn't get extended time off post WC (or even were done early). Hopefully that shows up as physical breakdowns later in the season. 

If, and admittedly it's a BIG 'IF' to press, Arsenal, City or Liverpool can get their collective acts together; I can see Chelsea being pegged right back into a tight race. I have a hunch Costa's goals will dry up now the weathers turning and I can see Chelsea start to drop points as Mourinho more and more settles to not get beat in games.

Hail.

If, and admittedly it's a BIG 'IF' to press, Arsenal, City or Liverpool can get their collective acts together; I can see Chelsea being pegged right back into a tight race. I have a hunch Costa's goals will dry up now the weathers turning and I can see Chelsea start to drop points as Mourinho more and more settles to not get beat in games.

Hail.

After John Terry and Cahill, they aren't rocking much depth in the middle either. They have a couple of pretty green players in Ake and Zouma backing those guys up. I honestly can't see Terry going the distance. 

They seem stacked in midfield and GK, but up front they're relying on Costa to go the distance (not impossible), but yer right lets see how he does when it gets cold and the matches start to pile up. There's something about playing in the cold, the ball is slick, the grass is slick, it's 80 minutes in and your toes are numb—don't get that kind of weather weekly in Spain. 

um what? A last min goal with ref having the whistle in his mouth isn't worth celebrating? I was sitting in my recliner and about sprung out of it.

yeah, under Fergie you guys woulda taken that ball and tried to score the winner instead of acting like it won a league title.

After John Terry and Cahill, they aren't rocking much depth in the middle either. They have a couple of pretty green players in Ake and Zouma backing those guys up. I honestly can't see Terry going the distance. 

They seem stacked in midfield and GK, but up front they're relying on Costa to go the distance (not impossible), but yer right lets see how he does when it gets cold and the matches start to pile up. There's something about playing in the cold, the ball is slick, the grass is slick, it's 80 minutes in and your toes are numb—don't get that kind of weather weekly in Spain. 

It's getting to those CBs that is the problem, though.

Unless you get a perfect through ball it's difficult to work the ball around and get a goal.  Their midfield is outstanding and their style of play is more for possession to keep the pressure off the back.  Something I thought we'd be doing more of and hopefully will going forward after that last 30 vs Hull with two forward.

It's getting to those CBs that is the problem, though.

Unless you get a perfect through ball it's difficult to work the ball around and get a goal.  Their midfield is outstanding and their style of play is more for possession to keep the pressure off the back.  Something I thought we'd be doing more of and hopefully will going forward after that last 30 vs Hull with two forward.

That's the key.

We do, we'll do Chelsea two weeks time.

We don't, we won't.

ALL on BR now.

Hail.

54310381.jpg

yeah, I told people after the window that City were still the deepest team in the league. Chelsea just had the best first XI. They are a Terry/Cahill/Costa/Matic/Fabregas injury away from being in a crisis as they have no one on their squad to replace those guys.

Its all opinions really and I can't really make such a claim 9 games into the season but I think by the end of it the Chelsea team of 2014/15 will be spoken in the same breathe as the invincibles. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go unbeaten this year. They're that good. 

It is certainly possible, but overall, I haven't been that impressed with Chelsea this season, at least not to the level of the invincibles or some of those ManU teams of past years.

They looked rather average vs Leicester and Bolton.  They really don't impress in the UCL, drawing with Schalke and beating Sporting 1-0.  They will struggle vs the real big boys of Europe (sorry, but Drogba doesn't scare any top side anymore).

Really? They drew the match on the last kick of the game. That's an incredibly exciting moment and cause for great celebration no matter the club.

Joe never really "hangs it out there".  He just comes in with some brilliant one-liners now again after a tough performance.

But I like him. :wub:

That's the key.

We do, we'll do Chelsea two weeks time.

We don't, we won't.

ALL on BR now.

Hail.

Forgot that Borini was in the side over the weekend :lol:

So make that at LEAST one striker in the window.

But yeah... it was almost like BR wanted to "appease" the fans/media who've said "go two forward".  He sends in Lambert and all of a sudden he sees that we are moving the ball well in the final third (holy ****!).  So then one more move and it was the same midfield as last year in the diamond... Balo and Rickey just don't know the runs to make.  Keep sending them out and keep getting better with it.

• Like 1

I'm going to hold my breath and hope this keeps up.  It's nice to not already be looking at the upcoming schedule and wondering where points are going to come from to avoid relegation.  Alex Song and Diafra Sakho, really the entire set of summer transfers, have been a blessing.

I'm going to hold my breath and hope this keeps up.  It's nice to not already be looking at the upcoming schedule and wondering where points are going to come from to avoid relegation.  Alex Song and Diafra Sakho, really the entire set of summer transfers, have been a blessing.

I wanted Song, but Alyrdice has that side humming.  Very impressive.  And City got EVERY call in that game from the officials.

My mother ****ing Reds waited for me to get home to score both!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhhhh if Coutinho had gotten in there!

Two great days in a row. :D

Make Us Dream!

Been utter wank most all season.

Yet handily placed the league for both top 4 and another title challenge; every chance of European progression and now three games from Anfield South and yet another major final.

It just sucks being us. :)

Hail.

*Edit* Oh yeah, almost forgot ....,

MARIO MAG-****ING-NIFICO MF!

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Been utter wank most all season.

Yet handily placed the league for both top 4 and another title challenge; every chance of European progression and now three games from Anfield South and yet another major final.

It just sucks being us. :)

Hail.

*Edit* Oh yeah, almost forgot ....,

MARIO MAG-****ING-NIFICO MF!

Borini is a decent winger... he's not a forward.  But Lambert... if that boy ever had a first touch it was a lie.

• Like 1