Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

It matters GREATLY.

With the possibility of the head-to-heads, and goals scored/ goal difference in those games being level; the overall goal difference could be critical.

The very LAST thing you want is to lose heavily in ANY group game.

Damage limitation, ala the second half at Anfield against Madrid a few weeks back when he went out with no striker; is the prudent way forward in that scenario.

Hail.

I was assuming that Pool would win at home vs Basel and away vs Ludogrets, making head to head meaningless.

All I will say about Liverpool and their current manager is that they spent 100 million on Southampton players, yet are 8 points behind Southampton, and have a negative 16 goal differential against Southampton. Shocking scenes.

Well, I think most in this thread had Southampton getting relegated.

But we're also one of two clubs to beat Southampton this season, too.  Albeit with Sturridge... funny how that works out.

I thought it was just against Real Madrid, but LFC seem to be looking to play long diagonal balls as soon as they can. But they're not connecting on many of those at all. 

With Balo in we are playing the long ball... but even if he wins the ball there is no one there to help him.  It's as if he's supposed to win it and then find a way to hold it for several seconds while the rest of the side catches up.

But we normally only do that when we fall behind.  It's more of an attempt at a patient build up early on with no real threat in the final third.

you guys think Rodgers is going to play Sturridge in Madrid?

Saw he was on the plane, but doubt he plays.  I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't rest guys for this one.  I know GHH doesn't want to hear that, but essentially the guys should be looking forward to the Basel and Ludo games as well as the Cup and BPL games.

But who knows, maybe the kids surprise?  The way my sports week has gone since the Dallas game I don't know what to think anymore, lol.

It's amusing when journos talk about formation. So apparently Arsenal fielded a 4-4-2 this past weekend, but on further analysis we played with two holding mids (Flamteta), our usual wide mids/wingers, and a withdrawn/deep lying/playmaking Alexis Shanchez. 4-2-3-1?

It's amusing when journos talk about formation. So apparently Arsenal fielded a 4-4-2 this past weekend, but on further analysis we played with two holding mids (Flamteta), our usual wide mids/wingers, and a withdrawn/deep lying/playmaking Alexis Shanchez. 4-2-3-1?

Not sure how a feel about Alexis in the #10 hole. AW was raving about how he looks much more dangerous there because he's strong, takes on defenders, and makes good runs but what does that mean for Mesut when he comes back? Does that mean he'll continue to throw Santi and he off on the left wing where we need more pace?

Too many questions, not enough answers! I guess if there's no definite position between LW and CAM for any of them, that at least gives us a great deal of flexibility. I still think we'd have a more efficient attack if those players had more defined roles and positions.

Alexis isnt a playmaker, but his best position in his career has been behind striker. Thats where he was great for Udinese and Chile.

He has played that position the last two matches.

Not sure how a feel about Alexis in the #10 hole. AW was raving about how he looks much more dangerous there because he's strong, takes on defenders, and makes good runs but what does that mean for Mesut when he comes back? Does that mean he'll continue to throw Santi and he off on the left wing where we need more pace?

Too many questions, not enough answers! I guess if there's no definite position between LW and CAM for any of them, that at least gives us a great deal of flexibility. I still think we'd have a more efficient attack if those players had more defined roles and positions.

its Arsene's fault for signing 10 central attacking players.

But Ozil and Sanchez can work. I think Wenger eventually wants Sanchez as a #9, and idk about that.

And we def would have a better attack if players stuck to a sole position.

If we had better attacking fullbacks, we can play Sanchez and Ozil in the center. Sanchez as an inside forward while Ozil heads from center.

but Ozil's real strength is that he plays along that middle line and pulls defenders which creates space for the finishers. that would work for Arsenal if Arsene didnt continue playing Jack there which eats up Ozil's space to operate along that line.

Edited by JoeWolf990

He's much more dangerous there because he's playing between lines and it causes problems as to who picks him up—midfielder dropping or defender. When Ozil comes back I think the 2 of them will interchange a lot and have Theo/Ox on the wing.  

Whereas Mesut isn't a threat to run at you, Alexis is. Yes, he's not as much of a threat to make the killer pass but I don't think he's completely inept in that regard either.

Predictions for today:

Arsenal 2 - 1 Anderlecht

Real Madrid 4 - 1 Liverpool

Dortmund 2 - 0 Galatasaray

Juventus 2 - 2 Olympiakos

Bayer 1 - 1 Zenit

I'll take a shot:

Predictions for today:

Arsenal 3 - 0 Anderlecht

Real Madrid 5 - 0 Liverpool

Dortmund 3 - 0 Galatasaray

Juventus 2 - 1 Olympiakos

Bayer 3 - 1 Zenit

• Like 1

You can only make 3 subs still, right?  Cause that's a lot left on the bench.

In brighter news, Aston Villa cancelled their Goal of the Month competition because they scored no goals this past month.  That sounds like an Onion article.  But serious this time.

Edited by Old Bay
  • Like 1

I hope Dortmind closes out the group and makes a run. I don't know if they'll be in position next year. They are so different from the other clubs I like. By the fans for the fans if you will. Yeah Bayern in the family and Ronaldo/Man Utd growing up but I hate to see a club like just disappear back down into mid-lower Bundesliga. They are like my underdog club though Utd seems to be that now too.