Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I don't really get a chance to watch them.  I've heard that BeIn or some other network plays the occasional Championship match, but I'm one of those who've cut the cable cord (I never had that package anyway, though).  If I have time I'll try to stream (if the game is even televised), but it doesn't really happen much anymore.  Having two small children has put a crimp into that sort of thing.  I keep up with them via GameCasts, reading match reports and following their YouTube channel.  I don't really frequent the forums much anymore.  If people think Skins fans are negative visit a Rovers forum.  Oish.  The only other option that I haven't gone down is that Rovers have a radio subscription.  Contemplated it but never pulled the trigger.  From what I've read it's sort of dodgy at times.

Yeah, he got one.  With his feet, too!

Maybe it's the defender in me, but couldn't that goal have been disallowed due to offside?  Seemed to go right between legs of player in offside position (:10 mark).  Unless someone else was keeping them on.

Edited by pointyfootball

Maybe it's the defender in me, but couldn't that goal have been disallowed due to offside?  Seemed to go right between legs of player in offside position (:10 mark).  Unless someone else was keeping them on.

The keeper was there too for Charlton.  He's wearing purple or grey or something, hard to see, and screened by the Blackburn player closest to goal.

Edited by Old Bay

Maybe it's the defender in me, but couldn't that goal have been disallowed due to offside? Seemed to go right between legs of player in offside position (:10 mark). Unless someone else was keeping them on.

The defender to the right in the middle of the goal looks to be even with him keeping him on side. Hard to tell though.

I dont see it happening soon, but there is such rapid growth. ESPN, NBC, etc are spending big money on the sport to have the broadcast rights. I think a big step is MLS getting their big deal. Right now I can watch more EPL games then MLS games due to them being mainly available only if you buy the package. MLS being on TV more will grab more and more fans and build up the sport.

Definitely not the NFL, but I could see either the NBA or MLB dropping out.

These days if you drive through neighborhoods, drive by parks, you see soccer fields all over the plan and kids just playing pickup soccer. Thats how the sport grows, kids grow up playing it and loving it. And thats happening all over the place. I am more likely in my area to see kids playing soccer as opposed to baseball or basketball. And of course the depends on the area. Part of it is its so easy to play soccer. Just have a ball and throw some shoes down for goal posts and kick it around.

I think it will be a top 3 sport in the next 10 years. I mean you have my generation teaching their kids to play soccer and have their kids watching soccer with them. My kids dribble my ball around whenever I have it outside. I didnt start nearly that young.

I'd like for you to be right, but I think it's going to take much, much longer.  When I was a pre-teen and teen playing youth sports in the 1970's-80's, soccer was huge as a youth sport.  Far more of my peers played it than baseball, basketball, or football.  Still, NASL died during that same time.  MLS has lasted quite a while, so I think soccer's definitely on the upswing, but cracking the top 3 (or even passing the NHL) is going to be tough.  Soccer's huge at the youth level, but I still get the sense it's a sport a lot more Americans will play (when they're young) than actually watch.  Look at distance running - more people than ever are entering everything from local 5Ks to marathons (the Marine Corp Marathon even had to go to an entrance lottery this year), but almost no one follows the sport on a professional level.  Even most runners probably don't know the marathon world record was just broken in Berlin last week.  It'll be interesting how the professional sports landscape plays out over the coming years, but I do think soccer has carved out a nice little niche for itself, especially with Hispanic population growth in the US.  Hardly a day goes by that I don't see a kid on the street with a pro soccer jersey or a car with a club sticker (usually Real Madrid or Barca) drive through my neighborhood.  That's not something I saw a lot of 20 years ago. 

Does it really matter if it surpasses the current Big 3? My enjoyment has been the same twenty years ago, ten years ago, and now—it's not been dependent on how many people like it. 

It has nothing to do with my enjoyment. I want to see it crack the big 3 more from the aspect of more and better US soccer players and to see our national team become a top team in the world that can eventually have a chance at a World Cup.

At this point more people getting into soccer has allowed us to be able to view every EPL game and UEFA games, and soon to be the BL. So at t his point we already have seen a good bit of benefit from growth happening in comparison to what was available 20 years ago. So perhaps it has increased your enjoyment from the standpoint of being able to easily watch your team.

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 1

It's cart before the horse. WHEN we get top players that play on the top teams, then we have a chance at winning the WC THEN it'll become a top 3 sport. 

But I think that comes from the culture. As the culture grows to one where soccer is more and more popular that all comes from that. As its broadcast on TV more and is easier to access for people you have more people playing. More  people loving the sport because they grow up with it.

Also, I couldn't believe the crap that FoxSoccer was spewing about Pool yesterday.  No, it was NOT the biggest upset this season in CL and no, it was NOT a 'shocking' result.  Pool were a good team last season, but there was no comparison to European teams as they weren't in the competition.  It is blatantly obvious they can't replace what Suarez meant to them, no matter the number of players brought in.  Plus, Basel is a good side that plays EPL teams very tough (just ask ManU, Chelsea, and Spurs).

Basle are an average at  best side who wanted it more than Liverpool. Plain and simple. Liverpool should of rolled them over with little problem. But Basle were up for it and wanted it more. It wasn't a shocking result given L'pools current form. But it was a shocking result nonetheless. Same as it would of been if Munich had lost there. Basle are nothing special at all. Hell, as poor as L'pool where, they still had MORE than enough chances to of won Wednesday.

And the Suarez debate is a complete none factor. Aside from the fact he'd still be banned and wouldn't of been playing to this point anyways, We coped just fine without him last year. Something is badly wrong within the camp. Just what I don't know. But you've Sakho storming out on Saturday because he wasn't picked and subsequently left out of the European trip. Rodgers having to tell players to go applaud us in Basle for taking the time and money to travel. The captain and manager (rightly) slamming the performance in Switzerland. And two months worth of performances that far removed from the play of last year it's unreal.

The Suarez factor, although a big loss, is being blown out of all proportion.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I was seriously fearing for my life in Switzerland. Forgive me. I'm back home now.

Now, more on that .....

Hail.

What's your honest take on Balotelli then GHH. Every Liverpool fan I know is playing hell about him. Guy looks moody, disinterested and just a bit lazy.

If the 4-2-3-1 doesn't work... try... try again.

So that was Basle again. Rather than talk about the joke of a L'pool 'performance'; I'll talk about the trip as I know you and guys like A love to hear first hand accounts. Or specifically the 'leaving party' those oh so thoughtful Swiss guys threw for us ......

As noted previous, I was swerving Basle after the draw. When we met 12 years ago, it got REAL ugly and I didn't need that again/ But we landed some dirt cheap flights to Strasbourg (an absolutely gorgeous place BTW. Picturesque as all heck. Oldie Worldie. River running through the middle. Loads of great bars and restaurants. Laid back and beautiful. I'd DEFO go back there for a weekend break or longer); so a night in France, short train journey over the border, and a night on the other side of the Rhine in Switzerland away from the trouble on the German side of Basle didn't seem a bad option.

Brilliant afternoon and night in Strasbourg the Tuesday in glorious weather (shorts and t all trip); and onto Basle Wednesday for another great afternoon in the baking hot sun, on the banks ( and ankle deep in. 'Drinking wine in the Rhine!' ha ha ) the river Rhine. Good food. Good wine. Good company. Perfectly relaxed afternoon away from the dicks in the centre.

We jumped the tram around 7 to the ground, and as we passed by the main square, the bizzies (Police) had it ringed with a group of L'pool penned in going nowhere and bottles and chairs strewn all over. Turns out a group of Basle lads had tipped up to 'spoil the party', but L'pool quickly mobbed up and battered them before the Police boxed it off and got on top of things. Outside the ground was moody but calm due to a heavy Police presence. So after the joke on the park, we jumped the tram back over the river to what we thought was going to be a peaceful night .....

Now we were in aa bar with frosted glass windows (a God send I think but more on that in a few); just off a main street. Been in there earlier and it was quite and we'd had no problems. Got back there around 11, and I needed some cash so went a street up to an ATM that was set back off the street in an alcove so you were kind of hidden. Further down this road was another bar with quite a few reds in and flags up outside. So I'm getting the cash and I here this stamping like marching. thinking 'WTF is that?' I peered round from the machine to see I'd say a good 100/150 lads marching down the road, dressed all in black with black ballies (balaclava's) on, all with a baseball bat. or iron bar, or worse in their hands. And they marched straight to the mentioned pub and just went right through the lads in the there as they destroyed the place. I swerved round the back of them after they'd passed and legged it back to bar we were in to fill everyone in, get them prepared for any **** coming out way, and inform the boys we weren't leaving and we were staying WELL off the streets for a good few hours before the Police had it under control. And then there's sirens flying and shadows running past the windows as our lads got together and went looking for Basle, not realising the military style organisation they had. And this lasted all night long in a night of utter carnage. A few lads I know that run with the Urchins (our despicable knobs) came in for a breather and no word of a lie they were all drip white, telling us they'd never seen anything like what was going on from Basle and saying they were all decked out in black looking to seriously injure or worse as I'd seen and they'd been legged all over. Now when serious lads who go looking for trouble are telling you they are **** scared and hadn't seen this before, you know it's deadly serious. Luckily the pub we were in was quiet and seemed to be left alone by the main bulk. I think the frosted windows helped that nobody could look in. But it was one entrance and no back way out after we'd checked exit plans.

Around half 2, as it's died down a bit outside, two young lads, so obviously Bassle, decked out on black, and so obviously 'spotters' looking for L'pool, walked in and sat down with a beer. Now, there was 5 of us in there at the time along with the locals, 3 in a smoking room at the back, and me and my Bessie at a table. And these two lads sat down right over a bag one of the lads had left by the bar with his flag sticking out the top. They looked at that, looked us up and down, and got straight on their cell phones. We both looked at each other and said bottle up, we need some protection because we're gonna' get ****ed here. Couldn't go out on the street because groups were still going at each other. No back exit. Just a feeling of helplessness and sheer panic whilst trying to look calm and unaffected by the two lads glaring at us looking us up and down. Mercifully, a Police guy walked in to tell the barmaid to lock the doors as the trouble was starting up again and these two left sharpish or else I don't know what may of happened. But I don't mind saying, with just 5 us, all normal lads not looking for any trouble, boxed in with no exit, having been told by lads who do fight that this was NOTHING like they'd ever experienced and they were **** scared for their own safety; my ass TOTALLY went. The most scared I've been in a LONG time. A helpless feeling you know?

We eventually left around 4 after we'd sorted out a taxi to the door, but all night was just absolute carnage I feel extremely lucky to of escaped being in the middle of it all. Something seriously wrong when 'sport' comes to that but those Swiss lads were out to SERIOUSLY injure and maim. Not that our dicks are any angels but nothing like that. All out carnage all night long.

I shudder to think what Anfield will be like the last game. Anyone remotely looking Swiss I'd advise to stay WELL away as our dicks will be out for some serious revenge.

People don't realise the **** that goes down at times in Europe and Wednesday was a particularly ugly and scary as Hell one you've probably read nothing about as nothing rarely is allowed to come out.

The 'joys' of following a football club and the uglier side of the beautiful game.

Thankfully Madrid will be MUCH more peaceful next time out.

Hail.

On the plus side, the Colin Pascoe song that started the Derby really took off and had a good 20 minutes solid airing half time and into the second half. :lol:.

Probably the only time ever an assistant manager has had his own song. Absolutely surreal and boss to have 1700 bouncing up and down singing about another mans legs lol.

Ohhhh, his name is Colin Pascoe,

He put's the cones out for the team,

He wears shorts when it is ****ing freezing

We don't care 'cos his legs are a dream!'

• Like 1

What's your honest take on Balotelli then GHH. Every Liverpool fan I know is playing hell about him. Guy looks moody, disinterested and just a bit lazy.

He's not Suarez. We knew that going in and anyone remotely thinking he'd give us what Luis did is just braindead and unrealistic.

What he does bring is an immense talent when he's onsong and unplayable at times. He's been working hard, but in all the wrong areas that makes him look lazier than he has been. He only really comes alive when the ball's 5 yards from him. He closes down wide but he hasn't been doing jack in the box. He desperately needs Sturridge back, or ANYONE come to that, to take men away from him. One up front, and one like Mario who isn't making constant runs and wants others to set him up perfectly, is never going to work but BR keeps persisting with it to everyone's frustration.

It's been a very mixed and disappointing start. But I can't fully go with the lazy thing as he is working. Just not in the right areas as I mentioned. He did piss me off Wednesday by just walking back onside everytime. Even when we'd won it back he was just walking back to halfway and slowing down the attacks. But then he was chasing and closing down.

He'll be fine once he settles and gets the partnership going.

Mario's the last of our worries at present.

Hail.

'Goon' lol. Interesting way of putting it.

Not per se, but back in the '70's and the start of my match going era the '80's if you travelled away, you couldn't avoid it. It was all boys together on away trips and everyone knew you were going to get some **** somewhere along the line. Very rarely you took any 'passengers.' There's quite a few stories I could recount you wouldn't believe.

These days, we completely swerve where all our idiots go and still have a great time out of the way. Which we thought we were doing Wednesday being over the river in a nice suburban area the German side.

Silly us.

Hail.

Agreed that Balotelli needs Sturridge back, to basically do his hard yards for him. Not sure Sturridge will appreciate that too much to be honest, but his new deal today will keep him sweet for now.

As for foreign travel, France 98 was the final straw for me....total carnage and nothing short of a death wish. Damn shame really.

He'll be fine once he settles and gets the partnership going.

Mario's the last of our worries at present.

Hail.

That's it right there.

For me, he was brought in to help with Daniel.  Hopefully Daniel will be fit soon (tomorrow would be great) and they can get that going.

That's it right there.

For me, he was brought in to help with Daniel.  Hopefully Daniel will be fit soon (tomorrow would be great) and they can get that going.

Hopefully he is back this weekend, then we can get him back on England duty next week too.

LAMBERT! Ricky 'I've no ****ing pace and the first touch of a brick' Lambert on his OWN up front!

Yet Gerrard, our worst player all year who can no longer play every game, continues to do so because BR hasn't got the bollocks to drop him.

**** off Rodgers. **** RIGHT off!

That is beyond ridiculous.

Hail.

*Edit* That's not me calling for BR head before some divvy jumps. Just REAL pissed at that today.