Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I wouldn't fight it too hard, but who is out there that will come here and be better. There isn't some Courtois-type languishing on some team.

Its probably Chambers, tbh.

But Per's form scares me. Ironically, I think he will do good against Costa, not that it will matter. We are going to get battered on Sunday.

Its probably Chambers, tbh.

But Per's form scares me. Ironically, I think he will do good against Costa, not that it will matter. We are going to get battered on Sunday.

Game Sunday? What game?? We don't play Sunday !!

*starts reaching for alcohol*

I find it hilarious how quiet it is in this thread. I wonder why.

Hey man, Balotelli is still "figuring it out" lol

• Like 1

Ox is a must start for every game now, IMO. Casts a big question on where Theo will play when he returns.

Welbz

Alexis-Ozil-Ox

Flam-JFW

Gibbs-Kos-Mert-Chambers

Szcz

Are my starters for Chelsea, but I  think he may rest Ox, maybe Alexis as well. Might see Rosicky and push Ozil out to the wings.

Ox is a must start for every game now, IMO. Casts a big question on where Theo will play when he returns.

Welbz

Alexis-Ozil-Ox

Flam-JFW

Gibbs-Kos-Mert-Chambers

Szcz

Are my starters for Chelsea, but I  think he may rest Ox, maybe Alexis as well. Might see Rosicky and push Ozil out to the wings.

I'd be hesitant to start Mesut. He looked gassed yesterday. He seems to need more time between games to recharge his batteries more than anyone else on the squad for whatever reason.

And..."JFW" lol :lol:

Welbz

Alexis-Ozil-Ox

Flam-JFW

Gibbs-Kos-Mert-Chambers

Szcz

Are my starters for Chelsea, but I think he may rest Ox, maybe Alexis as well. Might see Rosicky and push Ozil out to the wings.

Ox is low key one of the most important guys on the squad

All he does is hustle and win corners. And he's only 21

So it was just Liverpool talk for awhile and today only Arsenal.

Guess its time to toss Everton in there. Poor performance, lacked urgency, but at least we got a point on the road. Need to be able to win those games, but if we get points on the road and win at home we are set.

Hopefully we have some energy versus United this weekend.

after the season liverpool had last year, you can't be surprised that the talk was flowing fast and furiously.

after the season liverpool had last year, you can't be surprised that hopes were high entering this season.

after losing suarez and replacing him with a "sum of the parts" solution, you can't be surprised with a slow start.

after a long drought, the great season, a crushing end, and a middling window, you can't be surprised at red fans being nervously hopeful.

after a long drought, a crushing end, a middling window, and a slow start, you can't be surprised at a quite red crowd.

with a proud history, promising young players, a manager with a vision and plan, and stands full of hard supporters, don't be surprised if we're not quiet for too long.

"we have dreams and songs to sing, 'bout the glory 'round the fields of Anfield Road!"

• Like 1

So it was just Liverpool talk for awhile and today only Arsenal.

I feel like the crazy person in the corner talking to himself in here sometimes. :D

I don't follow the women's game all that much, usually just watch during the World Cup.  I can't believe they're making them playing on astro turf.

• Like 2

I feel like the crazy person in the corner talking to himself in here sometimes. :D

I don't follow the women's game all that much, usually just watch during the World Cup.  I can't believe they're making them playing on astro turf.

I know, I need to get some more Everton fans in here so I have someone to converse with. :D

On a side note, over the last couple of years more and more people notice and make comments about my Everton jersey whenever I wear it. Its gotten to the point where every time I wear it I get a comment. Its nice to continue to see soccer becoming more and more popular in the US. Its really only a matter of time in my opinion where its a top 3 sport.

I don't think the women should complain too much about it.

But women are so good at complaining.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

*cough*

• Like 1

I don't think the women should complain too much about it.

Well, they are.  I don't know much more than that.

I know, I need to get some more Everton fans in here so I have someone to converse with. :D

On a side note, over the last couple of years more and more people notice and make comments about my Everton jersey whenever I wear it. Its gotten to the point where every time I wear it I get a comment. Its nice to continue to see soccer becoming more and more popular in the US. Its really only a matter of time in my opinion where its a top 3 sport.

I don't really get any comments on my Rovers stuff, but I don't really expect to.  The only place I encounter other Rovers fans is on a Rovers specific board.  I have a bit of a Napoleon complex when it comes to that I think, lol.

I ran into a high schooler the other day that was excited to talk to someone about soccer.  He follows the Bundesliga and likes Bayern.  I told him I liked Rovers and he said he never heard of 'em.  I told him I wasn't surprised.  Part of the package.  I guess it's somewhat unfortunate for me that I chose a town club to support but the heart wants what the heart wants...

I do think that it's going to get bigger as well.

Edited by Old Bay

Are the European women's teams complaining about it? 

I know the Americans and Canadians were too, regarding that their WC would be played on some/all turf. 

I think American women have more leverage just because of the standing of the sport, but I don't even think they generate enough revenue to be a self-supporting entity (women's soccer as a whole). Yeah, it sucks to play on turf (it doesn't suck that much) but you get a chance to play for your country and make some money. 

"Too bad" it's in Canada, I think and it's more feasible to have artificial turf because of the climate. 

I just have little sympathy in this case.

Well, they are.  I don't know much more than that.

I don't really get any comments on my Rovers stuff, but I don't really expect to.  The only place I encounter other Rovers fans is on a Rovers specific board.  I have a bit of a Napoleon complex when it comes to that I think, lol.

I ran into a high schooler the other day that was excited to talk to someone about soccer.  He follows the Bundesliga and likes Bayern.  I told him I liked Rovers and he said he never heard of 'em.  I told him I wasn't surprised.  Part of the package.  I guess it's somewhat unfortunate for me that I chose a town club to support but the heart wants what the heart wants...

I do think that it's going to get bigger as well.

Yeah, you dont really have any other option but to support your home town club, and you should. For those of us not in the UK allows us a wider criteria before selecting. :D

About two years ago I ran into a Nottingham Forest fan working at a winery in Maryland. Of course, he was from that area. Doubt there are very many American Nottingham Forest fans, I would be pretty impressed if there were. I feel like at the time he was surprised I was American and a fan of Everton.

Its really only been in the last couple of years that we can watch every single game in the EPL, and next year we will be able to include the BL as well. For awhile even if you were able to find games on TV or online to watch it was only the bigger teams. So you will start to see more people becoming fans of the lower league sides because they are actually able to watch them.

Unfortunately Im sure most people arent aware that Blackburn is the only team outside of the big spending clubs to have won an EPL title. Granted, they did spend a lot of money to do so. My brother was actually a Blackburn fan, though I dont think he watches too much soccer these days.

Edited by MisterPinstripe

Don't tell GHH this but Everton is one of the clubs I've admired.  I always liked that they seemed to punch above their weight class and always a determined side.

My wife has run into a Portsmouth fan in Canada.  He was Canadian.  I would have loved to talk to him.  Ran into another guy up there who followed Chlesea because of Drobga, he was original from Ivory Coast.

Unfortunately Im sure most people arent aware that Blackburn is the only team outside of the big spending clubs to have won an EPL title. Granted, they did spend a lot of money to do so.

Some would say we bought it, too.  Sort of the nature of the beast to a certain degree, I guess.  But looking back on it now it was paltry money.

My brother was actually a Blackburn fan, though I dont think he watches too much soccer these days.

2n85347.jpg

Its really only a matter of time in my opinion where its a top 3 sport.

I enjoy soccer and would be fine with it supplanting either the NBA (don't care about basketball) or MLB (so very boring) as a top 3 sport in the US, but I just don't see that happening, at least anytime soon.  If it did, which of the 'Big 3' - NFL, NBA, or MLB - do you see as dropping out to be replaced by soccer? 

Don't tell GHH this but Everton is one of the clubs I've admired.  I always liked that they seemed to punch above their weight class and always a determined side.

My wife has run into a Portsmouth fan in Canada.  He was Canadian.  I would have loved to talk to him.  Ran into another guy up there who followed Chlesea because of Drobga, he was original from Ivory Coast.

Some would say we bought it, too.  Sort of the nature of the beast to a certain degree, I guess.  But looking back on it now it was paltry money.

Yeah I started following Everton just to see how Howard was doing, and at some point they grabbed a hold of me. When I started feeling pain when they lost it was over, haha...

I would love to talk to people like that and find out why they started following a team like that instead of one of the more popular teams in the EPL. Those winning a lot. I think for my brother he loved the fact that Blackburn was a smaller club and yet were able to pull off an EPL title.

Really, look  at the money that the teams that have won have spent. They dont tend to be tight with their money. I think part of that is a smaller club doesnt have the time to build up a squad and develop it because the big teams come around quickly to buy up their talent. So they never have enough talent even if they are developing their own.

• Like 1

Welbz

Alexis-Ozil-Ox

Flam-JFW

Gibbs-Kos-Mert-Chambers

Szcz

when Theo is back and 100%, he starts. Theo scores goals. Best finisher on the team by far.

Jack is not in any starting XI, imo.

I enjoy soccer and would be fine with it supplanting either the NBA (don't care about basketball) or MLB (so very boring) as a top 3 sport in the US, but I just don't see that happening, at least anytime soon.  If it did, which of the 'Big 3' - NFL, NBA, or MLB - do you see as dropping out to be replaced by soccer? 

I dont see it happening soon, but there is such rapid growth. ESPN, NBC, etc are spending big money on the sport to have the broadcast rights. I think a big step is MLS getting their big deal. Right now I can watch more EPL games then MLS games due to them being mainly available only if you buy the package. MLS being on TV more will grab more and more fans and build up the sport.

Definitely not the NFL, but I could see either the NBA or MLB dropping out.

These days if you drive through neighborhoods, drive by parks, you see soccer fields all over the plan and kids just playing pickup soccer. Thats how the sport grows, kids grow up playing it and loving it. And thats happening all over the place. I am more likely in my area to see kids playing soccer as opposed to baseball or basketball. And of course the depends on the area. Part of it is its so easy to play soccer. Just have a ball and throw some shoes down for goal posts and kick it around.

I think it will be a top 3 sport in the next 10 years. I mean you have my generation teaching their kids to play soccer and have their kids watching soccer with them. My kids dribble my ball around whenever I have it outside. I didnt start nearly that young.

Yeah I started following Everton just to see how Howard was doing, and at some point they grabbed a hold of me. When I started feeling pain when they lost it was over, haha...

How I started with Blackburn.  Started following Friedel.

Sports are the last thing keeping live TV afloat. European soccer is particularly great for broadcasters because they air games at what would've been a waste land for adult viewers (early Saturday, before noon on Sundays, and mid-afternoon weekdays) AND they have a great following. And unlike other sports, it goes most of the year—August to June. 

Didnt he score while with Blackburn? American keepers just know how to score in the EPL apparently.

How do you watch Blackburn games currently?

I don't really get a chance to watch them.  I've heard that BeIn or some other network plays the occasional Championship match, but I'm one of those who've cut the cable cord (I never had that package anyway, though).  If I have time I'll try to stream (if the game is even televised), but it doesn't really happen much anymore.  Having two small children has put a crimp into that sort of thing.  I keep up with them via GameCasts, reading match reports and following their YouTube channel.  I don't really frequent the forums much anymore.  If people think Skins fans are negative visit a Rovers forum.  Oish.  The only other option that I haven't gone down is that Rovers have a radio subscription.  Contemplated it but never pulled the trigger.  From what I've read it's sort of dodgy at times.

Yeah, he got one.  With his feet, too!

Sports are the last thing keeping live TV afloat. European soccer is particularly great for broadcasters because they air games at what would've been a waste land for adult viewers (early Saturday, before noon on Sundays, and mid-afternoon weekdays) AND they have a great following. And unlike other sports, it goes most of the year—August to June. 

The only thing I really miss from having cable is NBC Sports.  It was awesome being able to watch all those matches. 

Edited by Old Bay

damn fifa

50523cc547b3c.jpg

GZHB4.jpg

SVikh.jpg

The only thing I really miss from having cable is NBC Sports.  It was awesome being able to watch all those matches. 

They "busted" me. i was using a friend's login (they live in a different state). I used it for a few weekends but now I can't login anymore. 

They "busted" me. i was using a friend's login (they live in a different state). I used it for a few weekends but now I can't login anymore. 

Ouch.  I was contented that NBC would show a match around noon, but I haven't been catching them lately.  Combo of not getting the chance and I don't think they've been showing many on the main channel.