Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

13 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Not talking about requiring anyone to stand aside or situations close to goal. Defenders actively move to stand in front of the ball all the time in the middle of the pitch to prevent a quick restart, and this is allowed. 

This is allowed?

Deschamps may not be a tactical genius but when a manager gets a team to play together, to not give in to infighting, keep egos in check-it’s a big thing.

France imploded under the egos of benzema, nasri, et al in prev world cups. 

Argentina, Uruguay (without Cavani), and Belgium is no small feat. 

Pavard has had had a great WC. 6 caps before it started. Managed Di Maria and Hazard so far. Goal of the tournament candidate. I think City are in for him now.

Kante and Matuidi are the soul of this team. Big loss if Matuidi can’t play in the final. Second strike syndrome is a very real thing-not sure if I’d skip a World Cup final for it though.

Just now, Corcaigh said:

You see it in every game with defenders preventing quick restarts.

In consistent enforcement of the laws. I believe it’s written into the laws that ten must be given or ref can issue a caution.

"Can issue a caution." But they rarely do.

You often see defenders carrying the ball away after the whistle is blown and are rarely cautioned. Or playing a ball when it is out of bounds away from an opponent. These are blatant actions to deny a quick restart. 

You might see a player who lunges for a ball within 10 being cautioned, but a player who actively moves to stand in front of the ball to prevent a quick restart is doing the same thing.

Soccer tolerates, and thereby enables, way more misconduct than it needs to, and it diminishes the game.

Edited by Corcaigh

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

"Can issue a caution." But they rarely do.

You often see defenders carrying the ball away after the whistle is blown and are rarely cautioned. Or playing a ball when it is out of bounds away from an opponent. These are blatant actions to deny a quick restart. 

You might see a player who lunges for a ball within 10 being cautioned, but a player who actively moves to stand in front of the ball to prevent a quick restart is doing the same thing.

Soccer tolerates, and thereby enables, way more misconduct than it needs to, and it diminishes the game.

Yup, like I said a few pages back "soccer creates it's own problems with selective enforcement (of laws on the books)". 

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Deschamps may not be a tactical genius but when a manager gets a team to play together, to not give in to infighting, keep egos in check-it’s a big thing.

France imploded under the egos of benzema, nasri, et al in prev world cups. 

Argentina, Uruguay (without Cavani), and Belgium is no small feat. 

Pavard has had had a great WC. 6 caps before it started. Managed Di Maria and Hazard so far. Goal of the tournament candidate. I think City are in for him now.

Kante and Matuidi are the soul of this team. Big loss if Matuidi can’t play in the final. Second strike syndrome is a very real thing-not sure if I’d skip a World Cup final for it though.

In consistent enforcement of the laws. I believe it’s written into the laws that ten must be given or ref can issue a caution.

Hazard had his way with Pavard, as he did with pretty much every team he played this World Cup. He's just not a huge goal scoring threat, and never has been.  There's far more to his game than getting a goal.  He had 10 successful take-ons yesterday, the most memorable one against Pavard in which he literally sent him to the ground gliding past him.  Haz had a record 10 successful take-ons at 100% success rate against Brazil, which is a WC record as well. 

Sorry, had to defend my boy a bit.  Pavard is a very good player though and I agre with the rest of what you say.  The midfield of France dictates games.  Pogba has been very good this WC too and it's because of the work Kante and Matuidi do.  

2 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Hazard had his way with Pavard, as he did with pretty much every team he played this World Cup. He's just not a huge goal scoring threat, and never has been.  There's far more to his game than getting a goal.  He had 10 successful take-ons yesterday, the most memorable one against Pavard in which he literally sent him to the ground gliding past him.  Haz had a record 10 successful take-ons at 100% success rate against Brazil, which is a WC record as well. 

Sorry, had to defend my boy a bit.  Pavard is a very good player though and I agre with the rest of what you say.  The midfield of France dictates games.  Pogba has been very good this WC too and it's because of the work Kante and Matuidi do.  

I don't disagree. I used the word "managed" intentionally, because Pavard didn't shut them down but also didn't allow them to do considerable damage from his side. But considering he was an unknown before, he's given a great account of himself when legends and experienced pros haven't done much. 

Now that I've said that watch him **** the bed in the final. Haha. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/11/luka-modric-croatia-world-cup-england-miracle-worker?CMP=share_btn_tw

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hoping to see some goals scored today. I'll go with England 2-1.

I think this is the game for second place, because whoever wins is going to get mauled by France.

Nonetheless, I like England in this one too, 2-0. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Is this the point where I should be getting all excited and Nationalistic and not hoping the Nadal match runs right through the football?

Hail. 

Enjoy TV while you can. Pretty soon it'll be "We interrupt this Merseyside Darby to bring you Harry Kane's knighting ceremony" 

Are you even prepared for the comedic levels of insufferable that are getting ready to ensue if zero hour should arrive Sunday night? 

Edited by Berggy9598

28 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Enjoy TV while you can. Pretty soon it'll be "We interrupt this Merseyside Darby to bring you Harry Kane's knighting ceremony" 

Are you even prepared for the comedic levels of insufferable that are getting ready to ensue if zero hour should arrive Sunday night? 

Meh What those heathens over the border do is of no interest in the Independent Peoples Republic.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

14 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Meh What those heathens over the border do is if no interest in the Independent Peoples Republic.

Hail.

"Scousers Threaten Secession, Parliament Convenes an Emergency Session and Unanimously Agrees to Allow in Record Time" Rooney would make a good president as long as you keep the female interns under the age of 50 to avoid scandals. 

Edited by Berggy9598
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

TBF lid most Mancunians I know don’t do England either.

Stockport smackheads thinking City are a big club don’t count.

Hail.

I was always under the impressions it was in smaller numbers. I enjoyed watching them struggle to string 4 passes together in the years Michael Carrick was deemed not good enough to play for England but now in my old age I've become a little sentimental. 

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

The English National Front will be such as powerful force after the victory that they will be placated by giving them their own territory ...  Merseyside,