Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

And none of this 'holding/ defensive midfielder' nonsense. A central midfielder should be able to get up and down the park protecting and putting his foot in at one end whilst aiding the attack at the other. 

Hail.

......playing in black leather boots he cleans with dubbin and then go home afterwards on t'bus with the fans wearing a flat cap ......

On the subject of tactics and formations et all  .....

Commenting on your post, I think it depends on your players.  A straight 4-4-2 vs a defensive/offensive central players 4-4-2 should depend on the talents and style of your players.

I agree, however, that you should always have 2 up front.  I don't like the 4-5-1 style.

So is there any truth to us getting Cavani if PSG get Di Maria?  Or is someone trying to **** with me at work today?

As I've stated, I'm not the biggest Cavani fan but he is an upgrade over what we have right now. 

So is there any truth to us getting Cavani if PSG get Di Maria? Or is someone trying to **** with me at work today?

As I've stated, I'm not the biggest Cavani fan but he is an upgrade over what we have right now.

That would be a surprise purchase.

Nothing outside of media speculation here that persists in linking ourselves, Arsenal and Utd to the Uruguyian.

Can't see it.

Hail.

On the subject of tactics and formations et all  .....

I'm a big believer in what Shankly always used to say ..... If fit, you get your best XI on the field EVERY game. And don't worry about the opposition. Play your own game and let THEM worry about YOU!

It really, really is a simple game complicated by men who should know better and whom think they're far cleverer than they ever were.

For the record, in the unique passion and style of the English game, I firmly believe 4-4-2 is the best formation to use. With simple, pass and move football letting the ball do the work playing with width. And none of this 'holding/ defensive midfielder' nonsense. A central midfielder should be able to get up and down the park protecting and putting his foot in at one end whilst aiding the attack at the other. 

Hail. 

In the US, most players have grown up playing 4-4-2 at all levels "Thanks" to the influx of British coaches in the 80s. With that said, very few amateur teams here know how to play against anything other than a 4-4-2. So throwing a 4-3-3 confuses a lot of teams defensively. The midfield gets overloaded by 3 roving midfielders. Conversely, the 4-3-3 is susceptible to the 4-4-2 if they don't know to change their shape when defending, because the fullbacks are forced to make decisions on whether to stay back or step up against the wide midfielder in the 4-4-2. 

As I've said many times, formation is overrated—especially at amateur level. Pick one. Make sure everyone knows their role in the four phases of the game and know their responsibilities at each position. Then it's just execution. 

• Like 1

From Sky Sports:

German tabloid BILD has given short shrift to the reports emanating from Spain that Manchester United might beat Barcelona to the signature of Borussia Dortmund centre-back Mats Hummels. The newspaper comments:

If a Spanish sports newspaper reports first on the transfer of a Germany international to an English club, a certain scepticism is entirely appropriate.

Predictable news on Steven. This was always going to be his last tournament. Great news for Liverpool. BAD news for England. They need to move on but have nobody remotely ready to fill his boots. Both in what he brings on the park and his role as captain on and off it. Perfect ambassador, which is what 90% of being England captain is all about. Fantastic leader by example on the field. One of England's all time greats. Just a crying shame his era has been one so bereft of quality English talent. 

As for Hummels ..... It's funny, we had a discussion on him Saturday as we where trying to throw up possible centre half names along with Lovren. I personally think he's not right overall for the English game. Defending in the 18 yard box he is, no question. Big, strong, good in the air. Get's something in the way. An old school centre back. But he's woefully lacking in pace and when he gets caught out of position, he's not busting a gut to get back. A mirror image of Mertasacker at Arsenal. Although some will tell you he's boss and their 'B (ig) F (***ing) G (erman)' rock back there. But then it's been that long since Arsenal fans saw a defense when they last did, soccer still lagged behind tractor pulling in the US. So I wouldn't listen to much to them. 'Specially that BRAVEONTHEWARPATH one. He's the one getting in on every picture with that one cup with his polish in hand.  ;)

Surprised at that quoted price of £ 16 million. Figured Dortmund would push for more than that after the WC win. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

As for Hummels ..... I

Surprised at that quoted price of £ 16 million. Figured Dortmund would push for more than that after the WC win. 

Hail. 

I'm hoping this move happens and makes Reus change his mind about his loyalty to Dortmund. 

Oh well, I guess it's time to be unsuccessful at chasing Isco

Rodriguez is passing the medical evaluation in Madrid, Shaqiri (Bayern) linked with Monaco.

According to Sport, Barça has sent a €35 millions offer to Fiorentina for Cuadrado.

Klopp said today that both Reus and Hummels won't be transfered.

Edited by FrFan

I've got FIFA 13.  I like a 4-5-1.  The key is in the midfield.  I have wingers that are extra forwards and an attacking mid that's the focal point of my attack, generally.  My center mids are my base that I generate my possession.  I usually play with one defensive and one box to box midfielder.  If I need more attack I make both of them box to box and if I need more defense both are defensive mids.  My fullbacks are generally moving up to support the midfield as well, especially if I've got the midfield covering.

As for Hummels .....  An old school centre back. But he's woefully lacking in pace and when he gets caught out of position, he's not busting a gut to get back. A mirror image of Mertasacker at Arsenal. Although some will tell you he's boss and their 'B (ig) F (***ing) G (erman)' rock back there. But then it's been that long since Arsenal fans saw a defense when they last did, soccer still lagged behind tractor pulling in the US. So I wouldn't listen to much to them.

I wouldn't say Hummels a mirror image of Mertesacker. Mertesacker is indeed a penalty box defender (and a world-class one I might add). Hummels definitely has more pace and agility than Mertesacker and displays some play-making ability for Dortmund fairly often. Per does not because Arsenal almost always play short passes when they build from the back. He will also make those driving runs into the the middle third from time to time (a la Vincent Kompany).

For the well being of myself, and my family, I haven't touched that game. 

:lol:  :lol:  I know right? Seriously never known such an addictive game. 

When I do set time aside to play, I generally know when to stop when I hear the birds singing the following AM.  :lol: It's always 'just one more game', then there's another game and another. 

FM. Utterly brilliant, Utterly social life destroying. 

Hail. 

Looks like L'pool have piped Arsenal for Atletico Madrid's LB Javier Manquillo on a season long loan with a view to a permanent move.

I must profess I know exactly nada about the young Spaniard but he can't be any worse than his Countryman Enrique. Throw in Lovren (more a matter of 'when', not 'if') and the back end is looking better by deduction if nothing else.

Hail.