Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

4-4-2 The classic. Uses the width of the field and team motion.

4-1-2-1-2 The famous 4-4-2 diamond with 3 defensive middfiielders and a 10 to support the striker/forwards. Carlo Ancelotti's favorite.

4-3-1-2 The Italian scheme, from Catenaccio, very popular in Italy! It differs from the 4-4-2 diamond by the mere fact that the three defensive midfielders are playing on the same line. At first glance, a defensive system that hides a startegy and ultimately very offensive.

Edited by FrFan

Well (and I'm sure this will leave Americans scratching their heads); that was pre
-season....,

Meet yer mates at Limey at 9 for a half 9 train to Preston. Good few cans on the train, more ale in Pteston and some scran, taxi up the ground around 20 minutes before kick off. Miss kick off due to another beer in ground and see around half an hour. Decide 'this is wank. Let's do one'!'...., quick bevvie under the stand then back into town just as second half is starting for a few more ales and a good sing song (eclectic mix of footie songs, Beatles songs and even Sinatra. Go figure?  :lol: ) before the train home. 

Pre-season. ALL about meeting and reacquainting with yer mates and getting bevvied. With a match as an excuse.

God it's good to be back! Roll on Southampron and opening day!

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

LFC is willing to pay the €10 miilions transfer fee, but Remy wants to much money (€100 000+ / week).

He was a very promising player back in France, a guy with talent and speed, but as many before him, he failed to meet higher expectations. Probably because of a limited ceiling (consistency) which prevented him from reaching the next level.

Overall I think it is a low risk gamble, Remy is very active on the tip of the offense, back in France he lacked consistency but was never shy to make efforts. Rogers may have the solution to help him reaching the next level.

That's pretty much our consensus.

For £ 8.5 million, on a guy with good success his time in England, nobody's complaining. 

Thank you. 

Hail. 

Suso needs to be on the big club this year, too.

I've never heard of Remy.  Sounds like a project.  But we got good money for Fabio... we couldn't say no to that.

Suso needs to be a part of the first team squad or let go. NO exceptions. At 20 and 2/3 years in he should be showing now. Enough is enough on this experiment. 

You have heard of Remi lil' bro'. He was signed by QPR two January windows ago and had a good spell as they went down. Then got loaned out to Newcastle and scored 14 times in that piss poor side last year. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Fabio did start today right? That was him in the 29 shirt out there?

Suso needs to be a part of the first team squad or let go. NO exceptions. At 20 and 2/3 years in he should be showing now. Enough is enough on this experiment. 

You have heard of Remi lil' bro'. He was signed by QPR two January windows ago and had a good spell as they went down. Then got loaned out to Newcastle and scored 14 times in that piss poor side last year. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Fabio did start today right? That was him in the 29 shirt out there?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I have then.  :lol:

Yeah, he did start.  The commentators were laughing about it, too.  "And LFC trots Borini out today even though they've agreed to a price with Sunderland.  They better hope that he doesn't get hurt."

Not sure what that was all about.  I will say, reference Suso... he and Coutinho look outstanding together.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I have then.  :lol:

Yeah, he did start.  The commentators were laughing about it, too.  "And LFC trots Borini out today even though they've agreed to a price with Sunderland.  They better hope that he doesn't get hurt."

Not sure what that was all about.  I will say, reference Suso... he and Coutinho look outstanding together.

Weird one Borini playing. 

Coutinho looks outstanding period. (Props to j. I have to do this every time I mention him as he picked him out whilst I had early doubts. ). But Suso doing it in a meaningless kick around and when it matters are two completely different things. 

He needs to start making an impact when it matters. 

Hail. 

Oh yeah, another thing. 

The general consensus was we're finishing 5th, 

When GHH, patented pessimist, is fair scolding folk for that and is convinced that not finishing the top 4 isn't in question; along with Utd not being a threat as everyone is unbelievably worried about; then it's a strange day.

Enough with the pessimism already! 

WE ARE LIVERPOOL!

Hail. 

And another thing ......

This is my favourite thread on here. It puts to bed the notion that Americans know jack **** about the World game. For such a young soccer Nation, you're all far more versed in the beautiful game than you realise. It's a continued pleasure chewing the cud on all things soccer with you all. 

Except that glory hunting muppet BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93   :angry:

Hail. 

• Like 2

Weird one Borini playing. 

Coutinho looks outstanding period. (Props to j. I have to do this every time I mention him as he picked him out whilst I had early doubts. ). But Suso doing it in a meaningless kick around and when it matters are two completely different things. 

He needs to start making an impact when it matters. 

Hail. 

Well, on that right wing he has been great.  Wednesday and today.  Obviously yes, meaningless minutes and lesser sides, but he's also not had a great target in the middle either.  Nothing provided for him on Wednesday and little today.

Ibe's got some weak ball control skills.  My brother was talking about that but I really noticed it today.  That pace is lovely, though. 

FWIW, I would like to see knockouts in Champions League and 3rd in premier league would be a fantastic result.  Get more money and then continue to  improve.

You get the feeling that it's going to have to be slow build up unless we can find a diamond in the rough with this last 20 mil (after Lovern and Moreno are done).

I see us looking a lot like Arsenal did this past year.  At times, brilliant, at others... wtf?

I think it's better for both Liverpool and Borini that he moves on. I love his hustle and work ethic, but he just isn't skilled enough to be anything but an second or third option off Liverpool's bench. With consistent playing time, he could develope into a very nice player. I am out of town, so I haven't watched today's friendly to have any kind of opinion on it. I do like the Remy signing. I think he will have an impact on the team and may end up forcing his way in to the starting eleven.

Andre Wisdom going on loan to West Brom for the season.

On the one hand, it's good that he's getting a years Peemier League experience after playing a season in the Chanpionship.

On the other, at 21, he shoul really be pushing to be a part of the first team squad at L'pool. Even more so given how pathetically bad we are back there.

Hail.

• Like 2

What formation is in vogue now and hip 

I like the 4 4 2 but have used 4 3 3 more of late

The thing about formations or 'shapes' is that no team plays with just one shape. You typically have a different shape with the ball than when you are defending.

My personal preference is 4-2-3-1 with the ball which switches to a 4-4-1-1 when you lose possession. The key is having the wide forwards who can both supply balls into the penalty area, get into the penalty area with the main striker when the balls on the opposite side AND do a shift defensively helping out the full back when you don't have possession. You also need a number 10 of course which is a pivotal position.

Getting the formation which gets the best out of what you have is key of course.

• Like 2

I have a Catalan friend who is also a Barca "soci" (basically a shareholder). Said the club leadership is in shambles. There's concern, despite the unlikeliness, that FIFA will will uphold their transfer ban hence their rush to offload and sign players. There's also a lot of concern over Neymar-gate and the corruption of their new chairman Rossell (and even some of his links to the Qataris)

The other kicker is that the board are cleaning house of all things Pep and Laporta (their previous chairman). I'm not just talking players and coaching staff, but also lifelong support staff. 

So they're cleaning house and no one is safe. Apparently, not even Messi. Which I think is ludicruous but apparently the new board want complete credit for any success they may garner going forward. 

The thing about formations or 'shapes' is that no team plays with just one shape. You typically have a different shape with the ball than when you are defending.

My personal preference is 4-2-3-1 with the ball which switches to a 4-4-1-1 when you lose possession. The key is having the wide forwards who can both supply balls into the penalty area, get into the penalty area with the main striker when the balls on the opposite side AND do a shift defensively helping out the full back when you don't have possession. You also need a number 10 of course which is a pivotal position.

Getting the formation which gets the best out of what you have is key of course.

Great post. 

Dempsey ....

I presume that cover is for the North American market because Dempsey sure as heck isn't on anything in Europe. 

I have a Catalan friend who is also a Barca "soci" (basically a shareholder). Said the club leadership is in shambles. There's concern, despite the unlikeliness, that FIFA will will uphold their transfer ban hence their rush to offload and sign players. There's also a lot of concern over Neymar-gate and the corruption of their new chairman Rossell (and even some of his links to the Qataris)

The other kicker is that the board are cleaning house of all things Pep and Laporta (their previous chairman). I'm not just talking players and coaching staff, but also lifelong support staff. 

So they're cleaning house and no one is safe. Apparently, not even Messi. Which I think is ludicruous but apparently the new board want complete credit for any success they may garner going forward. 

The power politics between Presidents at Italian and Spanish clubs never ceases to amaze me. 

Hail. 

On the subject of tactics and formations et all  .....

I'm a big believer in what Shankly always used to say ..... If fit, you get your best XI on the field EVERY game. And don't worry about the opposition. Play your own game and let THEM worry about YOU!

It really, really is a simple game complicated by men who should know better and whom think they're far cleverer than they ever were.

For the record, in the unique passion and style of the English game, I firmly believe 4-4-2 is the best formation to use. With simple, pass and move football letting the ball do the work playing with width. And none of this 'holding/ defensive midfielder' nonsense. A central midfielder should be able to get up and down the park protecting and putting his foot in at one end whilst aiding the attack at the other. 

Hail.