Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I know the history of Barca.  They have always been the beaten dog.  That's what I liked about them.  Now they have shedded that. They go out and get players who don't fit into that idea. They have owners who are some of the most corrupt and are being forced out.  Man Utd I picked because that's who I watched growing up.  Had nothing to do with the money they had.  I liked the logo and I njoyed the style of play.  It's not fair to be claiming to behind Barca if I don't agree with the ideas and beliefs they have anymore.  Combine that with already been difficult to follow them anyway.  Also I notice you didn't mention when I was constantly talking about Dortmund during champions league.  The main reason I might consider Madrid would be Ronaldo is there and Gareth Bale is one cool dude.  The issue I have with them is what you listed.  The history with the dictator and the help they received.  But I'm not picking a club simply because of a player.  Note when I started following Barca was right after they got obliterated by Bayern.  So not eacttly gloryhunting.

So you 100% support everything Snyder has done?

If you havent then surely you should be a Seahawks fan by this logic?

That's a cheap cop out.  Even from a Manc.

So you 100% support everything Snyder has done?

If you havent then surely you should be a Seahawks fan by this logic?

That's a cheap cop out.  Even from a Manc.

Use whatever logic you want.  Snyder never disgraced the integrity of the team and targeted players who had a history of disgraceful actions.  Teams did poor under him because of bad decisions.  That's it. 

Also balance basically 5 soccer teams to support in total plus DC teams.  Let's see how you handle it. It was mistake to try to do that.  DC teams are enough to handle sometimes alone.  I'd rather have two teams to support overseas and that would be it.

(I also see a issue with supporting Barca while wanting Ronaldo to have success. Conflict of interest if you will.  For note I think Nou Camp is a awesome stadium.  On my list of places to visit regard less of supporter affliation.)

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Use whatever logic you want.  Snyder never disgraced the integrity of the team and targeted players who had a history of disgraceful actions.  Teams did poor under him because of bad decisions.  That's it. 

Also balance basically 5 soccer teams to support in total plus DC teams.  Let's see how you handle it. 

:lol: You said it not me.

Loyalty is rewarded.

Say what you want about BRAVEONTHEWARPATH and some of his teams, but he rides or dies with those teams.  Heart on his sleeve.  Check him out on twitter as well as here if you don't believe me.

I don't understand how you could literally go from the Hatfields to the McCoys like that. 

But I think you have pretty well illustrated your position in your opinion.

:lol: You said it not me.

Loyalty is rewarded.

Say what you want about BRAVEONTHEWARPATH and some of his teams, but he rides or dies with those teams.  Heart on his sleeve.  Check him out on twitter as well as here if you don't believe me.

I don't understand how you could literally go from the Hatfields to the McCoys like that. 

But I think you have pretty well illustrated your position in your opinion.

Well and as I added there is a serious conflict of interest with Barca.  Let me note again the history and the stadium is just amazing.  But there's a issue wanting guys like Ronaldo and Bale to be successful (mainly Ronaldo) and supporting Barca.  Late last champions league I was completely behind Madrid against Bayern and then in the final.  Which is funny cuz I like underdogs for the most part.  Shocking I know but I always root for underdogs when it doesn't include my team.  Unless I really hate the underdog.  When it comes to Barca and Madrid theres only one side if you support those teams.  A Barca person who rather jump off a bridge than root for Madrid to win the CL.

Well and as I added there is a serious conflict of interest with Barca.  Let me note again the history and the stadium is just amazing.  But there's a issue wanting guys like Ronaldo and Bale to be successful (mainly Ronaldo) and supporting Barca.  Late last champions league I was completely behind Madrid against Bayern and then in the final.  Which is funny cuz I like underdogs for the most part.  Shocking I know but I always root for underdogs when it doesn't include my team.  Unless I really hate the underdog.  When it comes to Barca and Madrid theres only one side if you support those teams.  A Barca person who rather jump off a bridge than root for Madrid to win the CL.

Except you.  Who would just assume switch teams as the power shifts back to Real.

Except you.  Who would just assume switch teams as the power shifts back to Real.

And Barca could very well take it right back next year with Suarez.  The rivalry shifts every other year.  Neither team dominates the rivalry.  Hell Madrid won the CL but couldn't win the league.  In fact Barca was one goal from winning it.  The power hasn't shifted that much. But you know as well as I do you can't be on both sides.  I can't be hoping Madrid does well while supporting Barca.  Its just not right.  Completely wrong.  A Barca fan killed his Madrid fan after one game.  That's how vicious that rivalry is.  If anything pan me hoping both do well.  Much worse.  Atleast I'm trying to find a balance rather than be the ultimate tool and root for both.  I may have to completely move away from La Liga to avoid the issue I don't know.  Personally I like La Liga #2 under EPL so that would kind of suck.  I don't enjoy Bundasliga anymore with Bayern dominanace.  Shouldn't you be telling me to root for Bayern?  Funny thing is my buds tried to get me to like Bayern but I got bored at watching the butt kickings they deliver all season.

I'm convinced now.  You cannot reason with a Manc.

I give up.

This has nothing to do with reasoning.  You want me to continue my support of Barca on principle. It makes no sense to do that when there's a complete conflict of interest.  That conflict of interest honestly has bugged me since I got behind them.  You can't want your rival club to be successful.  You think for a second I'd want Liverpool to win the Champions league?  No I'd root against them.  Just like how I was glad they blew the league (Sorry GHH).  I respect Liverpool but I would never root for them to win anything.  There is a serious issue being called a supporter of Barca and rooting for the rival to win something. Anyone who has read my posts realize how awkward it was to me to be rooting for Barca and wanting Ronaldo to carry Madrid to championships because of being a machester legend. 

I say this in general terms with only a passing glance at this back and forth and not wishing to get involved .....

But SERaiOULY ill' bro'? You've only NOW realised this?

Hail.

I'd like you to give your opinion GHH.  I made a example earlier. Not a single Man Utd supporter would ever want Liverpool to win anything.  Ever.  Both fanbases enjoy the other's misery.  Here's where the issue lies and the problem.  I can't identify with Barca at supporter level if I'm wishing Madrid well because of my favorite player there as well ones who are cool like Bale.  Meanwhile the club I'm suppose to supporter just signed a dude who has been given the third strike.  Now the issue here is Barca's history is awesome and the stadium is a marvel.  Real Madrid's history is honestly painful to read because it looks so bad.  So this is where I stand as far as those two.  DC9 seemly wants me to support a team that I can't wholeheartedly support.  Plus its not as easy to follow as EPL teams here in the US. To me though wanting good things for rival club is just wrong.  Did I congratulate for the league this season before you guys loss it? Yes.  Did I want you to win it?  Hell no.

Like I said 5 teams has just been too much to follow so Man Utd is the one club right now I'm supporting because I have been with them forever.  They could suck for a long time and I'll get over it.  I'd to have a second one in another league but I feel its only fair to open that up to besides just Dortmund and Barca which I've been following the last few years. 

If I'm in wrong feel free to take the gloves off GHH and let me have it.  I haven't committed to any team yet.  I said right now Man Utd is the only one I'm truly behind because I want to think it over carefully before committing to another club.  Barca was a mistake because there too much conflict of interest there. Should have seen that coming which was my mistake.

I'd like you to actually GHH......

First off, from first hand experience, the Bernabeau in Madrid pisses all over the Nou Camp by any metric you wish to use. It may look pretty and all on the telly with it's 100K or whatever the capacity is, but it's a crap place to watch football. Barcelona is an awesome City. FC Barcelona are an even more awesome institution. The Camp Nou does neither justice. I SERIOUSLY hope we pull Barcelona so Suarez can be reminded of REAL supporter passion at a rocking Anfield whilst he watches the return in front of 100k sat in silence. Miles away from the action. Madrid wins hands down from every respect as a visiting fan. Brilliant stadium in an equally brilliant Capital City. 

Second, you aren't a 'supporter' of any club. NONE of you are. You're 'fans.' And I don't mean that nastilly. It just is what it is through circumstance, You can't physically support your club like myself due to being 3,000 odd miles away. In the same way I'm a 'fan' of the Washington Redskins while DC9 is a 'supporter.' He does what I can't do. Puts his money in and goes to the games  Just wanted to clear that up. Sorry for being pernickety.

I personally don't get the Ronaldo 'conflict.' Peter Beardsley comes to mind. I LOVED Peter Beardsley. He was a little magic man with a ball at his feet. But when Suness sold him across the park to Everton, I wanted him to lose EVERY game. I still loved Peter Beardsley and had no ill will toward him over the move. ( A move he never wanted to make but that's another story.). But he played for a bitter rival. That FAR overrides any personnel player love. And when Peter went home to Newcastle, I was back to wanting nothing but the best for him so long as it wasn't at L'pool's expense. Each to their own, bit I don't get the conflict there. It says to me you never really cared much for Barcelona to begin with if truth be told if you feel conflicted because a favourite player happens to play for their bitterist rivals. That conflict wouldn't be an issue if you did in my simplistic view as a life long invested football club supporter. 

But it ultimately seems pretty simple to me. Yoiu're a United fan. That's NEVER changing as you're at pains to point out.. So leave it at that just be a 'football' fan when it comes to other Country's and enjoy chilling and watching with nothing on it. You have your team. You  don't need another 'just because.' Aside from maybes your German roots which I get and wanting to follow a German side as a second side I understand. So stick to Utd and Dortmund.

Because if you could root for Madrid and feel conflicted over your favourite player playing for them then you were NEVER a Barcelona 'fan' to begin with.

Hail.  

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

i didn't start cheering for the jets and certainly not the eagles when art monk went to play there. he was my favorite redskin.

sounds like you have no real reason to cheer for either la liga front runner. why water your support down? i like watching both teams play and will watch when either is on tv, but i'm not a fan. to me, it makes the most sense for you to cheer for MU (though i pity you- you seem nice enough otherwise) and your DC teams. leave it at that. watch real madrid, barca, dortmond, bayern when they are on and it is convenient as a fan of the sport.

• Like 2

First off, from first hand experience, the Bernabeau in Madrid pisses all over the Nou Camp by any metric you wish to use. It may look pretty and all on the telly with it's 100K or whatever the capacity is, but it's a crap place to watch football. Barcelona is an awesome City. FC Barcelona are an even more awesome institution. The Camp Nou does neither justice. I SERIOUSLY hope we pull Barcelona so Suarez can be reminded of REAL supporter passion at a rocking Anfield whilst he watches the return in front of 100k sat in silence. Miles away from the action. Madrid wins hands down from every respect as a visiting fan. Brilliant stadium in an equally brilliant Capital City. 

Second, you aren't a 'supporter' of any club. NONE of you are. You're 'fans.' And I don't mean that nastilly. It just is what it is through circumstance, You can't physically support your club like myself due to being 3,000 odd miles away. In the same way I'm a 'fan' of the Washington Redskins while DC9 is a 'supporter.' He does what I can't do. Puts his money in and goes to the games  Just wanted to clear that up. Sorry for being pernickety.

I personally don't get the Ronaldo 'conflict.' Peter Beardsley comes to mind. I LOVED Peter Beardsley. He was a little magic man with a ball at his feet. But when Suness sold him across the park to Everton, I wanted him to lose EVERY game. I still loved Peter Beardsley and had no ill will toward him over the move. ( A move he never wanted to make but that's another story.). But he played for a bitter rival. That FAR overrides any personnel player love. And when Peter went home to Newcastle, I was back to wanting nothing but the best for him so long as it wasn't at L'pool's expense. Each to their own, bit I don't get the conflict there. It says to me you never really cared much for Barcelona to begin with if truth be told if you feel conflicted because a favourite player happens to play for their bitterist rivals. That conflict wouldn't be an issue if you did in my simplistic view as a life long invested football club supporter. 

But it ultimately seems pretty simple to me. Yoiu're a United fan. That's NEVER changing as you're at pains to point out.. So leave it at that just be a 'football' fan when it comes to other Country's and enjoy chilling and watching with nothing on it. You have your team. You  don't need another 'just because.' Aside from maybes your German roots which I get and wanting to follow a German side as a second side I understand. So stick to Utd and Dortmund.

Because if you could root for Madrid and feel conflicted over your favourite player playing for them then you were NEVER a Barcelona 'fan' to begin with.

Hail.  

Yeah.  Well I definitely appreciate your opinion.  Like I said I'll be figuring the whole thing out soon.  But as far as if I were to have second club to be I guess as you said a "fan" of it wouldn't be just because.  It would be a team I actually want to support.  Honestly I'm glad you did nitpick on the supporter thing. I wish I could go to these different places.  One thing I love is a great fan following.  Honestly hearing Barca is dead house would have disappointed me to go and see.  If that was possibly probably would have made picking clubs easier on some of us.  Unfortunate thing that Bunda has become so predictable.  I could see myself getting behind Dortmund as a second club but it feels like the Bunda has become a feeder league outside of Bayern.  And maybe even Bayern and the way players left recently.  Hard to get a club culture when teams get poached all the time. 

For note though no matter what I decide to do I very much apppreciate your opinion. 

Raheem Sterling is so good.

Sturridge is making good runs, too.

Even Glen Johnson looks tidy so far.  Which means the bottom is getting heavy :lol:

Sturridge needs to get a right foot...

Sterling, Sturridge and Markovic look very fast

***edit***

nice skill by Markovic!

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 1

Much better watch than the Boston snooze feat already.

Good, fast start. Nice to see Sterling continuing from last year. Lucky goal but credit to him for continuing getting beyond the strikers. Markovic is quick. Tidy in patches. The first game players naturally tired the longer the half went on. Olimpiacis look tidy with no end product as always.

Decent watch.

BTW, have I mentioned about the meet up with Olimpiacos fans down in Piraeus the morning of the 2007 European Cup final? Nice story if I haven't.

Hail.

...The last two pages are exactly why I'm glad that I have mellowed on sports in the last few years. RR, you're stressing over this like a dad that is trying to give equal attention to his kids lol. It's just sports. 

It's not that deep man. 

I think a lot of fans really struggle with just sitting back and enjoying the sport. You don't need 4-5 teams. Just enjoy good football. 

• Like 2

BTW, have I mentioned about the meet up with Olimpiacos fans down in Piraeus the morning of the 2007 European Cup final? Nice story if I haven't.

Hail.

A lot more slow build up the last couple of games.  I think that's helped.

We've spent most of the time in the final third (since the 30 minute mark) trying to force feed it to Sturridge.  I'm all about confidence but it's pre-season, have a go!

Skrtel continues to display his defensive prowess.

...The last two pages are exactly why I'm glad that I have mellowed on sports in the last few years. RR, you're stressing over this like a dad that is trying to give equal attention to his kids lol. It's just sports. 

It's not that deep man. 

I think a lot of fans really struggle with just sitting back and enjoying the sport. You don't need 4-5 teams. Just enjoy good football. 

But they are all my children ;)

Just kidding. That's why I'm cutting back. I think I just tried to take on too many teams.  I have my Manchester United.  I plan to have another club if I really want to get behind one but that's it. 

I follow DCU (End in Nov) and our local team (They end their season in like end of august/sept) so having two to get behind through May is good enough. 

Sitenote: If/when I do get the second club if I get crap for it I'll sit here and take it.  Comes with the territory as with Man Utd.  For note the person I saw with a Madrid jersey and Dortmund scarf had the right idea.  Fun combo of rich club and club that spends like nothing LOL.

Noticed that BR kept the grown up out there and kept Agger on the bench for those 3 points.

Probably saving him for the big game against Citeh.  :P

..... You don't need 4-5 teams. Just enjoy good football. 

On the flip side as an Arsenal fan at least that's 4 better chances of seeing European glory for ya'.  :D .

Hail.