Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Coaches complain about diving when its the other team, and rarely admonish when its theirs.

Ive never had too much of a problem with diving because a lot of it comes from referees not knowing when to call fouls. A player has to fall in the penalty area to get a penalty call, which is absurd.

Mourinho on Oscar "I thought it was a clear penalty but I am 50 metres away and now I understand the referee's decision," he said.

"I think Oscar was waiting for the goalkeeper to collide, to touch him clearly and after that, without conditions to score he was looking for the penalty.

"It was a good decision by the referee."

So there you have it, Mourinho sounds like he's not happy with his own player so relax before jumping all over him. Of course it is easier to say this after your side wins 3-0. 

Welbeck and Januzaj also had terrible dives today.

Edited by JWB

LOL...

As someone that has never played organized soccer, what do coaches say about diving? Is it encouraged or frowned upon?

I played baseball as a kid and once stuck my leg out to get hit by a pitch. The umpire called it a strike and nearly threw me out and my coach nearly sat me down. 

Here's the thing. There are moments where, say, you're trying to go past a defender.You push the ball past him and he sticks his leg out and clips you (gray area of a foul or not). He doesn't cause enough to make you fall, but enough to make you break stride and in that split second gives a second defender enough time to get to the ball a split second before you. 

If you go to ground, you more than likely get the call. If you stay on your feet the ref may give you the benefit of the doubt ("advantage") and you lose the ball. So the defender gained an advantage by breaking your stride is that in the spirit of the game? 

This is more "embellishment"—an actual infringement occurred (maybe in the gray area where you could recover from it and keep going) but your selling it. Not really much different than what Reggie Miller used to do.

It's different from when there is zero contact and you throw yourself to the ground to con the ref into awarding a free kick or giving the defender a card. 

Another consideration at times is fatigue. The game is 90 minutes of running with close to 60 games in a ten month season. Sometimes the contact isn't really enough to bring you down but late in the game, a thirty second respite while you set-up a free kick is a good time to recover. 

Mourinho also told Mata the door is open.  Dudes not making friends.  Hey Mata feel free to come to United.

would only be funnier if they sacked Moyes and signed AVB as manager as well. 

wayne%20rooney%20plus%20andres%20villas%

Was watching highlights of Leeds and Rovers.  Got to give it to you MartinC, you guys have a good crowd.  Probably the best sounding crowd I've heard in the Championship this year (granted I only get to watch highlights and not full matches).  Rovers can generally only manage about half as many fans per home match.

Ha Ha Ha, I just loved watching the Swans beat the hapless united at OT.  I keep watching the "football genius" Moyes on the touchline, looking like a deer in the headlights as he has no idea how to change tactics when he needs to score a goal.  ManUre are now just a mid-EPL team and won't make top 4 (CL) this year.  I'm sure lots of top players are looking to sign for a club like that...... :rolleyes:

Well, Moyes must be doing something right...He has not only gotten a Liverpool fan (GHH) and an Everton fan (stripes) to agree on something, he also has them giddy and carrying on like life long buddies! The power of David Moyes is undeniable...

• Like 2

The only downside is we want him to stay there as long as his predecessor and he might be out of a job by Easter.  :(

LONG Live the Utd Reign of David Moyes Football GENIUS!

Hail.

this isnt funny, and im not a United fan. At least use it when you have read it somewhere or its been mentioned. No one has ever called him that. Its not even ironically funny.

I feel bad for Moyes, but then I dont. Eff off United, they deserve this. January is only 7 days (well 8 in some parts of the world) and United have already lost 3 matches. I think that is hilarious.