Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Absolutely jobaga man. Those doco's that ESPN do are fantastically good pieces of work. Really hope I get to catch them.

The inference on Defoe's move is the insular arrogance of the English. Forget they've very little better, he's now gone to a joke league against joke competition so how can he even be considered? Sadly, this attitude runs through those that make the decisions. Forget how far the standard if the MLS has come, it's the MLS so must be garbage.

It's how they roll over here.

Does 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' translate into the 'Delusions of the Blues?'

Hail.

Guess I shouldnt be surprised a Liverpool fan cant read Latin. :P

Neither here nor there to me as I couldn't care less what happens to England this summer (save for hoping Suarez destroys them for his retribution); but Hodgson would of/ will be brain dead to not include him. Welbeck and Lambert making the plane over Defoe tells you ALL you need to know about their chances.

Hail.

I think its probably Rooney, Jay Rodriguez, and Sturridge as the top 3 strikers.

There is a wildcard out there with Lambert, Welbeck, Carroll, and Defoe. I personally think the situation at Spurs messed up any serious chance. None of those guys have really distinguished themselves.

I'm not sure how this move will effect his World Cup status, but I do think the Walcot injury does open the door for him.

Theo is a right forward while Defoe is a central striker. They werent in competition.

I think its probably Rooney, Jay Rodriguez, and Sturridge as the top 3 strikers.

There is a wildcard out there with Lambert, Welbeck, Carroll, and Defoe. I personally think the situation at Spurs messed up any serious chance. None of those guys have really distinguished themselves.

Theo is a right forward while Defoe is a central striker. They werent in competition.

I gues I should have been a little more specific. Defoe will never be a starter for the England squad (I think we can all agree on that). With Theo being out for the World Cup the team lacks speed. Defoe has speed and could be an option off the bench if the Roy wanted to inject some pace into the team. Defoe is one of the few players for England that brings speed, that is why I feel that the Walcott injury opened the door for him. I never indicated he would be a direct replacement, but he does bring some of the same attributes...

Rumors been floating about that Rovers are going to take Jordon Ibe on loan from Liverpool.  What's the word on the lad?

Rated higher than Sterling at his age by the staff. A lot better built to handle the rigours of this league and equally as skillful. Old fashioned winger who just goes at full-backs. Two footed too which is a bonus. 

Honestly hadn't heard that link but I'd be very happy for him to go out on loan in the Championship for the next 5 months. Beats the limited reserve and U'19 games. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I gues I should have been a little more specific. Defoe will never be a starter for the England squad (I think we can all agree on that). With Theo being out for the World Cup the team lacks speed. Defoe has speed and could be an option off the bench if the Roy wanted to inject some pace into the team. Defoe is one of the few players for England that brings speed, that is why I feel that the Walcott injury opened the door for him. I never indicated he would be a direct replacement, but he does bring some of the same attributes...

Spurs have a couple of players that will probably get in before Defoe to replace Theo who has speed in Townsend and Lennon. Both are crap, mind you, but they are the likely choices.

Defoe was never going to the world cup, imo.

To paraphrase Ricardo Montablan (so many years ago): Welcome To Great Soccer Island. Welcome, indeed. Still room on the bus for more passengers. It is great to root for a side that drives the English pundits mad.

it's quite awkward. My friends are Bayern fans. Well one is a hardcore. The others are verrry casual. I've followed Dortmund for the last few years. Mainly because the atmosphere is awesome (plus I like black and gold). Now I know my family is of the Munich area. I feel like Gotze now lol. Not really sure how to approach this. If I had known before no doubt I would have gone Bayern( even if I don't agree with the way they conduct business). Plus being that I supported man utd forever ppl will think glory hunter. Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Rated higher than Sterling at his age by the staff. A lot better built to handle the rigours of this league and equally as skillful. Old fashioned winger who just goes at full-backs. Two footed too which is a bonus. 

Honestly hadn't heard that link but I'd be very happy for him to go out on loan in the Championship for the next 5 months. Beats the limited reserve and U'19 games. 

Hail. 

Sounds nice.  I was on a Rovers forum and some folk were talking about it.  Only tangible thing I've come across is this at the bottom:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10569540/Liverpool-captain-Steven-Gerrard-joins-call-for-Raheem-Sterling-to-take-his-place-in-Englands-World-Cup-squad.html

If we could get him until the end of the season it would go a long way in keeping our push going.  In 8th place now, 2 points off of 6th.

Rumors been floating about that Rovers are going to take Jordon Ibe on loan from Liverpool.  What's the word on the lad?

I realize that anyone and everyone can look great on a youtube compilation, but he was pretty impressive this preseason. I understand that he was mostly competing against lesser competition, but he has pace, tricks and some power. 

Judge for yourself #44

He dives, he gets a PK against Villa. He gets hammered in the box twice against Cheslea and once against Man City and gets nothing...what would you do? Not that I am condoning his actions, but I understand them.

ps.....that picture is from last year

• Like 1

Why is there a photie of Suatez against Stoke, the most thuggish team in the English top flight? Yes, it was never a penalty. But it's no different to what ANY other forward would do.

Very disappointing day yesterday. Attitude completely wrong. It's like after BR running his mouth over being title contenders, they only thought they had to turn up to win and forgot the work side. Disorganised and flat. Coutinho completely missing again. The defense looking like they've never met. Gerrard anonymous. And another Mingolet f-up. Two BADLY dropped points which will in all likelihood lead to trailing Everton going into the Derby.

And so nice of Henry to finally attend. His FIRST game under Rodgers. Complete and utter disgrace. Added to the strong rumour we have little money to spend again this window, I wish he'd sell up and go back to caring about his baseball team. (His wife can stay though. She'd get walloped and then some. Lol.).

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I wouldn't dive that's what I'd do

after the manythings LS has done since the WC, it can't be  a surprisethat he'll push the boundaries to win a game. The surprising thing is that the refs haven't adjusted their calls yet for his diving. Toward the end of his stay in England, the pendulum swung the other way for Cristiano Ronaldo.

BUT!!! In defense of LS in this gif, the LOTG states: "trips or attempts to trip an opponent"

I think that was enough of an attempt to trip by Guzan to warrant the call

And so nice of Henry to finally attend. His FIRST game under Rodgers. Complete and utter disgrace. Added to the strong rumour we have little money to spend again this window, I wish he'd sell up and go back to caring about his baseball team. (His wife can stay though. She'd get walloped and then some. Lol.)

I don't mind Henry not attending the games. He doesn't make it about him like many of the owners. It is about the team, the coach, the players, the fans and the legends. As long as he provides money to the team and stays out of the way of the people who know what they are doing, I'm fine. Hopefully, he is in Merseyside to discuss transfers and giving BR the checkbook. Totals agree about Linda Pizzuti.

after the manythings LS has done since the WC, it can't be  a surprisethat he'll push the boundaries to win a game. The surprising thing is that the refs haven't adjusted their calls yet for his diving. Toward the end of his stay in England, the pendulum swung the other way for Cristiano Ronaldo.

BUT!!! In defense of LS in this gif, the LOTG states: "trips or attempts to trip an opponent"

He really has been staying on his feet this year. I don't think there is a striker alive that would have done it any different that Suarez on the play. Once again not condoning it, just stating that I understand it is a part of the game. All that being said, I do not believe that was that egregious of a play. He felt contact and went down. 

Watch again.  The GK reaches for the ball, then pulls his hands back when it is past  him. He never tried to trip LS.

LS is a diver, will always be a diver.  No excuse (I don't care if 'most' forwards do it - diving is shameful and he should have been cautioned).  Horrible (and I hate ManU, so I want every team ahead of them to win - even Pool, but that was pathetic).

Watch again.  The GK reaches for the ball, then pulls his hands back when it is past  him. He never tried to trip LS.

LS is a diver, will always be a diver.  No excuse (I don't care if 'most' forwards do it - diving is shameful and he should have been cautioned).  Horrible (and I hate ManU, so I want every team ahead of them to win - even Pool, but that was pathetic).

Yeah, he pulls his arms back but what about his elbow and body? At the very least he takes him off his stride.