Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Albums/Bands you've tried to get into...but couldn't

Spaceman Spiff

Tool.

This kind of sums it up for me :ols:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/tool-worst-songs.php

(I'll be waiting for the backlash ;))

It seems like he starts off every paragraph differently but then always goes back to the lyrics. It's like he's setting up a new argument, and just about when he's going to explain why it's a bad thing, he starts talking about the lyrics. Also, the looks of the MEN in the band, and inexplicably, the MUSIC VIDEOS.:wtf: Give me a break dude, go turn on MTV 2 during your slumber party.

And this idea of "nerdy music" is extremely laughable. Anybody who is interested in exploring an art in-depth is labeled a nerd by the peanut gallery. I wonder about back in the era of great painters, if there were douchebags who called people nerds for raving about their work.

"Leonardo dresses funny, he has a bad haircut." Is this really a reason we shouldn't look at his paintings? Funny, this guy sounds like a TOOL. I'd love to see this ultra condescending ignoramus play "more cleanly" than Adam Jones. It won't be so nerdy when his fingers are bleeding on the guitar neck.

Tool- effing terrible.

Grateful Dead- A few songs I like but I'll never really get it.

Beatles- I like them, but if I listen to them more than 30 minutes I like them less and less.

The Smiths/Morrissey. Worst, Voice, EVER. God do they suck. How can anyone listen to this?

Joy Division. Sorry, New Order is better.

Rush. Blows. Geddy Lee sounds like a Eunuch. Worst voice in rock and roll. And their fanbase, I'm convinced, are entirely nerds.

Rolling Stones. Some catchy riffs, but just like the Beatles- 30 minutes and I'm done.

Led Zeppelin- see comments above for Beatles and Rolling Stones

Grateful Dead- A few songs I like but I'll never really get it.

I think dead brain cells and acid are needed to like them. Damn hippies lol. I did like the song Touch of Grey. It was pretty much their only mainstream song that got radio play. The other stuff was just too hippy sounding for my taste.

Vampire Weekend - I'm not sure what it is about them, I just can't get into any of their songs.

Arcade Fire - Don't get me wrong, I loved Funeral, but I just couldn't really get into them after that. I tried listening to Neon Bible, but it was just eh.

I really can't tolerate anything by Tool after Aenima. That style got old real fast.

As usual, when it comes to music, I agree with you. Tool is very boring, but I loved Aneima and still do. One of my favorite albums.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being a nerd and a Rush fan. I am a huge fan of Rush, I am not a nerd, however, I am married to one (nerd that is).:geek:

I'm a 70's classic rock fan but 'Fillmore East' by the Allmans with endless rambling 20 minute guitar solo's just bores me to death.

I lost interest in P Floyd with 'Wish You Were Here' and 'The Wall' sealed it really.

Queens 'A Night at the Opera' is another album that I just dont get at all. I know Bohemian Rhapsody is good fun but the album is just tedious.

get a better stereo. a tube amp and a pair of JBLs ;)

Head phones are a must for Pet Sounds.

I've found the greatest music is usually music you don't like the first several times you hear it. But then it clicks, and you get it... and you find just how deep the well goes. That's how Pet Sounds, and all great albums are.

It doesn't surprise me when people say they buy it and didn't like it. Hell, it never was a commercial success. Still the greatest album of the 20th century.

Head phones are a must for Pet Sounds.

I've found the greatest music is usually music you don't like the first several times you hear it. But then it clicks, and you get it... and you find just how deep the well goes. That's how Pet Sounds, and all great albums are.

It doesn't surprise me when people say they buy it and didn't like it. Hell, it never was a commercial success. Still the greatest album of the 20th century.

I say the same thing about Rush and Tool with headphones on. I still can't believe you deem Tool "terrible." I can completely understand when people think a band is boring, or when they just don't feel the vibe. But to call Tool "effing terrible" and then say a Beach Boys album is the best of the CENTURY :ols: really just makes you sound simple towards the matter.

Of all the GREAT jazz pieces, classical albums, the great political JAMS of the 60's, the great blues that came out all throughout the century, the unreal fusion and funk that exists...you choose a 1960's pop band as the makers of the musical holy grail of the 20th century?

I'll take it easy, because I enjoy the Beach Boys, as I can appreciate any music that sounds like a lot of thought was put in to it. However, they capitalized on a branch of popular dance music that sprouted relatively-briefly in the 20th century. I'm interested in what angle you are viewing that album from to claim it is the greatest? Obviously not from a musician's standpoint, perhaps you live at the beach? Perhaps you still boogie with your lady with the volume on 10?

That's all well and good, but to spit on something so refined and unbelievably musically admirable as Tool and Rush because you don't feel the vibe is a shame. Yeah, guys hate Geddy's high voice and Tool's slimy signature...but to love the extreme intricacies of rock and roll musicianship coincides with those two bands. Sorry if we took up instruments. Nerds, yeah, until you see drummers who get jacked practicing like those two drummers...guitar players who's hands have 9,000 veins showing practicing bass and lead for their songs. Until you see a singer who's veins pop out of his neck being able to sing like Maynard or Geddy. We're all nerds until we smoke you off the stage.

I say the same thing about Rush and Tool with headphones on. I still can't believe you deem Tool "terrible." I can completely understand when people think a band is boring, or when they just don't feel the vibe. But to call Tool "effing terrible" and then say a Beach Boys album is the best of the CENTURY :ols: really just makes you sound simple towards the matter.

Of all the GREAT jazz pieces, classical albums, the great political JAMS of the 60's, the great blues that came out all throughout the century, the unreal fusion and funk that exists...you choose a 1960's pop band as the makers of the musical holy grail of the 20th century?

I'll take it easy, because I enjoy the Beach Boys, as I can appreciate any music that sounds like a lot of thought was put in to it. However, they capitalized on a branch of popular dance music that sprouted relatively-briefly in the 20th century. I'm interested in what angle you are viewing that album from to claim it is the greatest? Obviously not from a musician's standpoint, perhaps you live at the beach? Perhaps you still boogie with your lady with the volume on 10?

That's all well and good, but to spit on something so refined and unbelievably musically admirable as Tool and Rush because you don't feel the vibe is a shame. Yeah, guys hate Geddy's high voice and Tool's slimy signature...but to love the extreme intricacies of rock and roll musicianship coincides with those two bands. Sorry if we took up instruments. Nerds, yeah, until you see

drummers who get jacked practicing like those two drummers...guitar players who's hands have 9,000 veins showing practicing bass and lead for their songs. Until you see a singer who's veins pop out of his neck being able to sing like Maynard or Geddy. We're all nerds until we smoke you off the stage.

I agree, It takes a special ear for music to appreciate Rush and their superior talent. I would even throw many jam bands into the equation, manty of these guys absolutely rip and have no desire to enter the bland world of main stream music simply because they don't want to be compared to many of the crap bands that make it on the radio.

Archived