Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Baltimore Radio Guy Loses His Mind Over John Riggins

MattFancy

I'll never dump the Redskins (tragically) but it was real easy for me to leave the Orioles behind even before the Nats showed up.

1. Peter Angelos (No need for a 2nd reason, but...)

2. Rafael Palmeiro testing positive after pointing his finger at congress.

Bye-bye, Birdies.

this post sums up my feelings pretty well.

i went to the sunday game at camden yards. followed the O's a little bit when cal was there. just really didnt follow baseball (have always followed the skins and football, even when we sucked) since then.

i went to the game with 2 absolute die hard O's fans. nice people. i was wearing my strasburg shirt and my free O's hat, out of respect for the O's. got a few jeers and comment from some drunk O's fans. honestly, i was like WTF? really??

but i should have expected it.

even with the O's coming back and winning the third game in a row vs the nats, it was kind of surreal. i was looking at the O's fans like '12 or 13 losing seasons in a row, and you are still cheering?'. it should have made me have a ton of respect for them, which i do. but i also felt bad for them. i know how ****ty that sounds, but its how i felt.

here we are with zimmerman, strasburg, harper and a halfway respectable team. and here are the O's with nothing. man, it was freaking wierd.

As an ECU football fan, I must take exception to that, sir! :pfft:

But, for pro football? Totally. I can't think of a single team in the history of the league with purple in the uniform.

Ok TCU, ECU and Northwestern...but after that the line is drawn. But the Vikings have been around for awhile...:silly:

The fact is, there's nothing okay about filming a John Riggins commercial at M&T Bank Stadium. There's nothing okay with mixing purple colors and Washington Redskins highlights. There's CERTAINLY nothing okay with using an audio clip that is CLEARLY designed to sound like "Hail to the Redskins" on top of a commercial that includes a stand-in that just so happens to be a dead-ringer for Art Modell.

The fact is, no one in the District of Columbia will care or be offended by this commercial one bit. Mostly because the handful of real sports fans in DC are indifferent to the Ravens. The handful of real sports fans in DC hate the Dallas Cowboys, but don't much care about other teams. The majority of sports fans in DC are transient; and root for more than one team. It isn't particularly surprising to bump into a sports fan in the District that wears a Tigers hat and a Red Sox shirt.

That's just the way their market works. Certainly, they care about the Skins much more than they care about any other franchise in their city-but there are a number of folks in the District, Northern Virginia and Prince George's County that would admit that they probably follow the Ravens as their 2nd team, and pull for the Ravens after the Redskins season ends. (Not a low blow Redskins fans, just a fact.)

It goes on like this for a while. I'll spare you, but his gist is that Redskins fans could never know what it's like to be passionate about their football team. Certainly not like Baltimoreans, who have been rooting for the Ravens for all 14 years of their existence.

But what I WON'T accept is what a slap in the face the John Riggins M&T Bank Stadium commercial is to fans in Charm City.

We AREN'T transient. We DON'T root for the Redskins when the Ravens aren't playing.

In fact, judging from the response to first annual "I Hate The Redskins" show on AM1570 WNST last year (we'll be doing it again this year, trust me); I'm not the only man in town whose attitude of the team that wears Burgundy & Gold is one of absolute rage.

John Riggins is walking around M&T Bank Stadium in front of the purple seats that are owned by the people of Baltimore. Those are seats that are owned thanks to unbelievably hard work by folks in a blue-collar city. Redskins fans could never possibly understand that.

tumblr_kzwku6K1r71qzvqipo1_500.jpg

why would we? NFC East....AFC North. Nothing to do with each other.

You're definitely an outlier.

People who live in the Baltimore area (as you do) and are Redskins fans tend to despise Ravens fans. They are utterly obnoxious in every way. They act as though they won the Super Bowl this past season, talk more **** about the Redskins than any other fans, hate D.C., are ridiculously unknowledgable about football, and make ridiculous comments such as in the OP.

I don't have much against the team perse, but I hate their fans with a passion and want the Ravens to lose only to see those fans suffer.

You're definitely an outlier.

People who live in the Baltimore area (as you do) and are Redskins fans tend to despise Ravens fans. They are utterly obnoxious in every way. They act as though they won the Super Bowl this past season, talk more **** about the Redskins than any other fans, hate D.C., are ridiculously unknowledgable about football, and make ridiculous comments such as in the OP.

I don't have much against the team perse, but I hate their fans with a passion and want the Ravens to lose only to see those fans suffer.

bro. please don't misunderstand me. I can't stand the fans!!!!!! :mad: However, the team really doesn't affect me one way or another. But again, alot of Ravens fans are very ignorant of football outside of Bmore. Yet are very arrogant. I can't tell you how many times i get the "traitor" label as being a Skins fan, even after i explain that i've been a fan of the Skins 7 years before the Browns came to town. Even after I explain that the Skins were the regional team after the Colts left, same as the Wizards are the regional team since Baltimore doesn't have a basketball franchise....After all of that, i get a blank stare. SMH

bro. please don't misunderstand me. I can't stand the fans!!!!!! :mad: However, the team really doesn't affect me one way or another. But again, alot of Ravens fans are very ignorant of football outside of Bmore. Yet are very arrogant. I can't tell you how many times i get the "traitor" label as being a Skins fan, even after i explain that i've been a fan of the Skins 7 years before the Browns came to town. Even after I explain that the Skins were the regional team after the Colts left, same as the Wizards are the regional team since Baltimore doesn't have a basketball franchise....After all of that, i get a blank stare. SMH

I totally misunderstood. My bad! :cheers:

Almost sounds like he is trying to manufacture a rivalry where one doesn't exist. At least not a strong one. The Ravens don't bother me, not because I'm not a football fan, but because I don't see them as a legitimate threat for my affections. In my mind the Redskins have the more glorious history and tradition than the Ravens (I'm not counting the old Baltimore Colts), as well as the more widespread following. Maybe that bothers Ravens fans. But like I said, I don't waste my energy getting riled up by a team that isn't a threat or even a true rival.

This is what I was thinking. Also, I think his hate grows stronger because it's unrequited. I guess a rivalry based on geography seems natural, but I agree that most Redskins fans couldn't care less about the Ravens because they are in the AFC and haven't been around long enough, or done anything dirty enough to piss us off.

This guy is wrong though, us Redskins fans hate the goddamn Eagles and Giants nearly as much as we hate the Cowboys. A rivalry with the Ravens feels unnecessary and would be pretty artificial at this point. The Cowboys rivalry was immediate and natural. They pretty much stole our ****ing fight song to blackmail our owner before their team even joined the league. They ****ing stole our Probowl quarterback in the expansion draft as they built their first roster. Granted all of that was made possible because our owner was a hapless fool, but our hatred for the Cowboys is tradition-ladened, not artificial and silly.

That's something this radio-**** from Baltimore could never possibly understand.

They ****ing stole our Probowl quarterback in the expansion draft as they built their first roster.

They took Tom Braatz (LB), Joe Nicely ©, and Doyle Nix (RB) from the Redskins in the 1960 expansion draft. The only QB came from the Giants (Don Heinrich).

They didn't have any picks in the college draft, and the Skins took a QB in the first round (Richie Lucas), but he was also drafted in the AFL draft, and played there for Buffalo.

My dislike towards Ravens fans stemmed from a Ravens game I went to when they first played the Browns. There were tons of Browns fans in attendance that were just excited that they got their team back. As I watched these fans get spit on repeatedly by ahole Ravens fans, seriously .. they were spitting, I immediately became anti-Ravens.

I also hate how these fans have taken over some local sports bars here, when I know full well that if the Ravens were continually in last place they wouldn't even be wearing those jerseys, much less being obnoxious peons.

I know this isn't all Raven fans, and every team has sorry excuses for fans, but I seem to come in contact with more idiotic Raven fans than any other team. I'm certain if I lived in Philly that would be a much different story, but here I am, and I hate Ravens fans.

I'll never dump the Redskins (tragically) but it was real easy for me to leave the Orioles behind even before the Nats showed up.

1. Peter Angelos (No need for a 2nd reason, but...)

2. Rafael Palmeiro testing positive after pointing his finger at congress.

Bye-bye, Birdies.

Yea, you make some good points but I can't turn my back on the O's regardless of Angelos being the world's biggest joker. I grew up watching the Birds and Ripken with my Dad. Too many good memories and too much loyalty for me. Regardless of all that, my Dad is now a Nats fan but I give him a pass since he grew up watching the Senators.

Archived