Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Baltimore Radio Guy Loses His Mind Over John Riggins

MattFancy

Irsay made th ecorrect business decision at the time. The people can never seem to understand that as hard as it may be. Pro sports are a business, not a right of the people. There is no chance a judge was going to allow the city to seize the team.

For the record, I don't mean to include all of the people of Baltimore, like our resident Baltimore Redskins fans. My uncle is from the city and he's a good man. I can't hate individual people just because they're from a certain city.

@Botched I've always thought the same thing. :ols:

appreciation noted. :)

Alright, that was a bit harsh. There are some lovely things about Baltimore and this nation had a great victory at Ft. McHenry right outside of the city; and, as I also stated, I have nothing against individual people from Baltimore.

Still, in the times I've been there...there was always something about it that didn't sit well with me.

1) The Skins and Ravens are NOT rivals, just like the Nats and O's are rivals. How can have a rivalry when you play in different conferences/leagues and play each other once every 4 years or 6 times out of 162 games? So I'm not sure where the rivalry talk comes from.

2) I have no problem with the Ravens or Nats, however, Ravens fans are just as annoying as Cowboy fans in my book. They are some of the most ignorant fans I've ever met.

3) Baltimore sports radio is horrible to listen to. 2 years ago when they went to the AFC title game against the Steelers, all the radio people were talking about who would be the better match up for the Ravens in the Super Bowl, Eagles or Cardinals. I guess they forgot the Ravens had to actually win the AFC title before they got to the Super Bowl.

There definitely is a rivalry, it just sucks that they've owned us for the last 15 years.

These Bal/Wash threads pop up every six months or so, and they wouldn't grow several pages long if there wasn't a rivalry.

You don't see threads like these about St. Louis.

Its not a rivalry . We have played them 4 times in the history of the Ravens and they lead 3-1 not really pwning us .. .

this really is laughable.

a) ive had the unfortunate expierience of living in bmore for abouta 1.5 years now and i can honeslty say that i cannot wait to leave. it is such a ****hole its pathetic. instead of simply hearing cars driving and honking and ppl talkin all i hear out my window in bmore is cop cars, ambulances and police choppers w/ their search lights. stay classy baltimore.

B) they're JEALOUS plan and simple. our team didnt skip town on us. we've had a football team for 75 years. they havent. sucks.

I think the disdain of Ravens fans is just a natural occurence and mirrors in a way whats been going on with Nats fans.

Nats fans, many but not all, used to be Orioles fans. Now many of them, but not all, hate on the O's constantly, to the point some people who remained O's fans, like myself, start to dislike the Nats simply because of the fans. But nats fans are just separating themselves so they have their own team in their own area, and they can distance themselves from the flaws of the O's (tho they themselves have flaws but whatever).

Baltimore folk finally got their football team back. And at a time when the Skins over the 14 years since have overall been unimpressive. They want to separate as much as possible from the Skins and stay with THEIR team in THEIR area. So just as with Nats fans, Ravens fans (some) will bash the competition in the region to try and establish power in a team relationship where they will keep coming up short simply because they lack the heritage and history that the older team does.

Just my summed up opinion on it. I also think, as another poster pointed out, that the MD-VA rivalry plays a part as well.

I think the disdain of Ravens fans is just a natural occurence and mirrors in a way whats been going on with Nats fans.

Nats fans, many but not all, used to be Orioles fans. Now many of them, but not all, hate on the O's constantly, to the point some people who remained O's fans, like myself, start to dislike the Nats simply because of the fans. But nats fans are just separating themselves so they have their own team in their own area, and they can distance themselves from the flaws of the O's (tho they themselves have flaws but whatever).

I really couldn't agree more. I already thought of this, just didn't want to be the guy who brought it up. If you've been in the Tailgate you know this is a contentious point between the fan bases here.

this really is laughable.

a) ive had the unfortunate expierience of living in bmore for abouta 1.5 years now and i can honeslty say that i cannot wait to leave. it is such a ****hole its pathetic. instead of simply hearing cars driving and honking and ppl talkin all i hear out my window in bmore is cop cars, ambulances and police choppers w/ their search lights. stay classy baltimore.

B) they're JEALOUS plan and simple. our team didnt skip town on us. we've had a football team for 75 years. they havent. sucks.

Baltimore as a whole is not a bad city. I lived in Northen Baltimore City for a year and loved it. I started going to college at Towson in 2005 and have lived up here since. Haven't had any problems and as long as you aren't out in the bad spots of the city late at night, you shouldn't have any problems. I've been down in Fells Point, Canton, and Fed Hill til 2am and haven't had to worry about anything. There are nice parts and bad parts of the city. Every major city is like that.

I have to admit, this is such a bizarre thing. Honestly, I really couldn't care less about Baltimore, either the city or its sports teams. I don't even think about them unless they're brought up to me. I don't have any dislike of them. I just don't care.

Weird how they have such a proverbial chip on their shoulders.

1) The Skins and Ravens are NOT rivals, just like the Nats and O's are rivals. How can have a rivalry when you play in different conferences/leagues and play each other once every 4 years or 6 times out of 162 games? So I'm not sure where the rivalry talk comes from.

2) I have no problem with the Ravens or Nats, however, Ravens fans are just as annoying as Cowboy fans in my book. They are some of the most ignorant fans I've ever met.

3) Baltimore sports radio is horrible to listen to. 2 years ago when they went to the AFC title game against the Steelers, all the radio people were talking about who would be the better match up for the Ravens in the Super Bowl, Eagles or Cardinals. I guess they forgot the Ravens had to actually win the AFC title before they got to the Super Bowl.

+1000

I'll offer my own two cents on top.

A. Baltimore isn't a transient city because people don't want to move there.

B. The seats of that stadium aren't "owned by the hard-working blue collar people of Baltimore." The stadium was a finance ripoff of every single Marylander, whereas our stadium (for ALL of its many flaws) was at least built by JKC himself. The guy is highlighting a bug, not a feature.

C. Besides, Baltimoreans are known for their defective work ethics.

D. If Jonathan Ogden did a random commercial from inside FedEx field, I'd be a little confused, but it would not send me into a spittle-flecked nonsensical rage.

E. As has been noted, this all stems from the massive chip on every Baltimoron's shoulder about living in "that other city on the East coast." Washington, Philly, New York, Boston . . . oh right, I forgot one, didn't I?

Yeah, Baltimore is so passionate that they lost the Colts.

Get back to me when you don't lose a football team.

While the DC metro area is indeed a transient area, the Redskins have always been able to maintain a passionate following.

Wow, Baltimore has been "supporting" the Ravens for 14 whole years. Congratulations!!!!! Add about another 60 years to that and then you'll be where we are right now in the DC area.

I agree...didnt those passionate Baltimore fans also lose a certain NBA team? I cant recall though where they ended up.

I honestly dont know any Skins fans that root for the Ravens as their 2nd team. I know there are a few on this site unfortunatly that claim the RATTURDS as their "2nd favorite team" but I dont know them per se.

If DC has no sports fans then how do we support the 4 major teams that call DC home?

This guy is a degenerate.

And keep rooting for the O's Washingtonians. You see how much they respect you.

We don't have to do this in every thread that mentions something about the city of Baltimore.

DC Oriole fans really don't care what people from Baltimore say. I root for the team because I grew up rooting for the team, not because I like other fans. Give it a rest...this idiot's opinion of Riggins and their stadium has nothing to do with the Orioles, DC Oriole fans, etc.

:doh:

Archived