Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Baltimore Radio Guy Loses His Mind Over John Riggins

MattFancy

http://deadspin.com/5575439/baltimore-radio-guy-loses-his-mind-over-john-riggins

The fact is, there's nothing okay about filming a John Riggins commercial at M&T Bank Stadium. There's nothing okay with mixing purple colors and Washington Redskins highlights. There's CERTAINLY nothing okay with using an audio clip that is CLEARLY designed to sound like "Hail to the Redskins" on top of a commercial that includes a stand-in that just so happens to be a dead-ringer for Art Modell.

The fact is, no one in the District of Columbia will care or be offended by this commercial one bit. Mostly because the handful of real sports fans in DC are indifferent to the Ravens. The handful of real sports fans in DC hate the Dallas Cowboys, but don't much care about other teams. The majority of sports fans in DC are transient; and root for more than one team. It isn't particularly surprising to bump into a sports fan in the District that wears a Tigers hat and a Red Sox shirt.

That's just the way their market works. Certainly, they care about the Skins much more than they care about any other franchise in their city-but there are a number of folks in the District, Northern Virginia and Prince George's County that would admit that they probably follow the Ravens as their 2nd team, and pull for the Ravens after the Redskins season ends. (Not a low blow Redskins fans, just a fact.)

It goes on like this for a while. I'll spare you, but his gist is that Redskins fans could never know what it's like to be passionate about their football team. Certainly not like Baltimoreans, who have been rooting for the Ravens for all 14 years of their existence.

But what I WON'T accept is what a slap in the face the John Riggins M&T Bank Stadium commercial is to fans in Charm City.

We AREN'T transient. We DON'T root for the Redskins when the Ravens aren't playing.

In fact, judging from the response to first annual "I Hate The Redskins" show on AM1570 WNST last year (we'll be doing it again this year, trust me); I'm not the only man in town whose attitude of the team that wears Burgundy & Gold is one of absolute rage.

John Riggins is walking around M&T Bank Stadium in front of the purple seats that are owned by the people of Baltimore. Those are seats that are owned thanks to unbelievably hard work by folks in a blue-collar city. Redskins fans could never possibly understand that.

Wow, this guy is a moron. I'll never understand why Ravens fans hate the Redskins so much. Maybe the same reason Nats fans hate O's fans, I don't know. Seems like the newer teams in town have a huge problem with the teams that were here before them. I currently live in the Baltimore area after living in PG County/St Mary's County until I was 21. I think I can say that most Skins fans don't have a problem with the Ravens and most O's fans don't have a problem with the Nats. So I don't get why all the hate for each other.

Yeah, Baltimore is so passionate that they lost the Colts.

Get back to me when you don't lose a football team.

While the DC metro area is indeed a transient area, the Redskins have always been able to maintain a passionate following.

Wow, Baltimore has been "supporting" the Ravens for 14 whole years. Congratulations!!!!! Add about another 60 years to that and then you'll be where we are right now in the DC area.

I've seen that commercial and was thinking..WTF , seeing him walk around inside the Ravens stadium just wasnt right at all.

And no one in DC gives a shat about Baltimore...they are just jealous that we bacck our team no matter what, and didnt have a owner that shipped our team out in the early morning hours under our noses. Personally I think Baltimorons are just jealous we have more championships. Look at the O's attendance these days...they give up on their teams if they play poorly, having a attorney for a owner doesn't help either

I've seen that commercial and was thinking..WTF , seeing him walk around inside the Ravens stadium just wasnt right at all.

It's true, I've noticed the purple seats in the commercial as well. I thought it was weird but I don't think it's anything to go crazy over. I mean I'm not pissed cause he was promoting his show in their stadium and not ours. It doesn't mean anything. Plus isn't MASN a Baltimore company so maybe that was just easier? If he was doing it for Comcast I bet it would have been shot in our stadium.

As a complete outsider looking in, this has nothing to do with the Skins or the Ratbirds but rather an ingrained dislike and rivalry between Virginians and Marylanders. There is a bit of football rivalry going on here but that is very much a minor cord in all of this.

Almost sounds like he is trying to manufacture a rivalry where one doesn't exist. At least not a strong one. The Ravens don't bother me, not because I'm not a football fan, but because I don't see them as a legitimate threat for my affections. In my mind the Redskins have the more glorious history and tradition than the Ravens (I'm not counting the old Baltimore Colts), as well as the more widespread following. Maybe that bothers Ravens fans. But like I said, I don't waste my energy getting riled up by a team that isn't a threat or even a true rival.

There definitely is a rivalry, it just sucks that they've owned us for the last 15 years.

These Bal/Wash threads pop up every six months or so, and they wouldn't grow several pages long if there wasn't a rivalry.

You don't see threads like these about St. Louis.

Yeah, Baltimore is so passionate that they lost the Colts.

Get back to me when you don't lose a football team.

Baltimore was and is a great football town. They lost the Colts because of the Irsay family, not their fans. Irsay moved the Colts mainly due to a conflict over a stadium deal and the fact that they City of Baltimore was about to seize the team under the law of eminent domain, so he high-tailed it out of Baltimore in the middle of the night....

Baltimore was and is a great football town. They lost the Colts because of the Irsay family, not their fans. Irsay moved the Colts mainly due to a conflict over a stadium deal and the fact that they City of Baltimore was about to seize the team under the law of eminent domain, so he high-tailed it out of Baltimore in the middle of the night....

Explain the low attendance figures.

I usually try to refrain from the name calling, but this guy is a bumbling idiot!! Yeah, I'm from Baltimore and even i'm indifferent towards the Ravens because:

1. I'm a Redskins fan.

2. My team is in a totally different conference. This means that we see each other once every 4 seasons. Therefore, we are NOT rivals!!!

3. The Redskins are to me as a baltimorian, as the Orioles are to District residents since in both cases those respective cities didn't have a pro team in that sport for a long period of time. Therefore, the Orioles/Redskins became the regional team. Thus, just because the johnny-come-lately franchise is now in the city doesn't mean that we abondon our childhood team!

*This is part of the reason i don't even listen to Baltimore sports stations (1300 am/1570 am) because of this cokehead, ignorant reasoning. What a tool!!

For the record, I don't mean to include all of the people of Baltimore, like our resident Baltimore Redskins fans. My uncle is from the city and he's a good man. I can't hate individual people just because they're from a certain city.

@Botched I've always thought the same thing. :ols:

Baltimore will always be number 1-a on the "hate list" with Dallas for this very thing. It's a sink hole (though it has a few lovely little bits) that'll never be in the same ball bark as Washington,.

Ok, bro not to hijack the thread, but Bmore isn't a stinkhole. There are ALOT of nice areas in the city. But i do agree that DC is a much more cultural and vibrant city. Mostly due to the simple fact that it is a melting pot as the nation's capital. Just sayin'

Archived